The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Trade Deadline

And it's official, this is the most ridiculous season ever. The Rangers and Devil's have made a trade. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, poum said:

And it's official, this is the most ridiculous season ever. The Rangers and Devil's have made a trade. 

Watch Lundqvist go to the Islanders...

48 minutes ago, poum said:

Two teams going in opposite directions...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZTHER said:

I thought Grabner would be a nice addition...

We can also be glad he didn't end up in los angeles / san jose / calgary / st.-louis / minnesota / colorado or dallas :)

@craigcustance Hearing that third teams with cap space are now getting involved in Erik Karlsson trade talks to help facilitate a potential trade. Makes sense, especially if Bobby Ryan contract is involved and contenders don't have room for it.

Brassard to Pittsburgh for a 1st, goalie Gustavsson and other cap related elements. 

Ian Cole to Ottawa part of deal as well.

And needless to say, plan is for Ottawa to flip pending UFA Ian Cole before Monday's trade deadline

Edited by DuckFan4Life

6 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Brassard to Pittsburgh for a 1st, goalie Gustavsson and other cap related elements. 

Ian Cole to Ottawa part of deal as well.

And needless to say, plan is for Ottawa to flip pending UFA Ian Cole before Monday's trade deadline

Good move for Ottawa. Building for the future - they get a first rounder and Gustavsson who was great at the most recent World Juniors - for a second line C at best.

11 minutes ago, nieder said:

Good move for Ottawa. Building for the future - they get a first rounder and Gustavsson who was great at the most recent World Juniors - for a second line C at best.

True he's a second line centre at best but he's still heading to Pittsburgh. Brassard is a huge upgrade over Bonino. They just added a 50 point centre to their 3rd line without damaging their current roster. It's a great deal for both sides. 

2 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

True he's a second line centre at best but he's still heading to Pittsburgh. Brassard is a huge upgrade over Bonino. They just added a 50 point centre to their 3rd line without damaging their current roster. It's a great deal for both sides. 

Was more speaking from Ottawa's perspective as I see a lot of Ottawa fans online that are unhappy with this. Definitely going to be a solid 3C for Pittsburgh - as always their center depth is insane.

Pittsburgh do lose a bit of defensive depth in Cole - I guess they aren't worried considering they managed to win the Cup even without Letang and now he's healthy.

PIT-OTT deal involving Brassard is ultra-complicated, so much so that Brassard will likely first be traded to a team other than PIT. Then flipped to PIT. Hearing that third team is likely VGK. Potential for layers of salary retention.

:blink:

The league told all 3 teams involved that the deal(s) as originally presented weren't acceptable. So deal(s) being reworked.

This is fun :D

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sounds to me someone screw up the Trade Process here. Let the Dominos fall.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t like the circumvention here, but not much the league can do. 

I think they just officially torpedoed the trade.

Just now, Fisix said:

I think they just officially torpedoed the trade.

Good, such a cheap little trick. Something I’m surprised Chicago never did 

27 minutes ago, Fisix said:

If anyone wants to take a stab at it, maybe explain what the trade was going to do, that got it po0-canned?

My guess is that Pitt needed to involve a third party (Vegas as I've read) so that they could dump part of Brassard's salary for some compensation (Ian Cole), in order for him to fit under their (Penguins') cap.
It has to be an asset management issue timeline-wise, as first Brassard would have gone to Vegas, with his full salary on paper, THEN he and only half his salary would have gone to Pittsburgh for which the Penguins would have paid a 1st and the goalie prospect to Ottawa and Ian Cole for the salary dump to Vegas.
Problem is, the initial transaction of Brassard moving to Vegas would have essentially been a free transfer with no Vegas asset moving to Ottawa at the time, only a later compensation coming from Pittsburgh.

Edited by DucksProg
  • Like 2

It's hilarious that THIS was the trade the NHL decided to reject. After all these years of unofficially retired players getting their contracts moved around like a bag of hot potatoes, an actual hockey trade is the one the league takes issue with. Speaking of which, how long until Marian Hossa is a Coyote?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

It's hilarious that THIS was the trade the NHL decided to reject. After all these years of unofficially retired players getting their contracts moved around like a bag of hot potatoes, an actual hockey trade is the one the league takes issue with. Speaking of which, how long until Marian Hossa is a Coyote?

I have issue with both, but that's a different kind of problem. 
At least those were two-way deals, an asset for an asset (the player became yours, he just didn't/couldn't play, so there was no value behind the numbers).
As I tried to explain above, in this case part of the deal was a one way handout, a player simply changing teams for nothing (you can't trade a player and part of his salary to one team, while simultaneously the rest of his salary to another, this is not the NBA. He had to go through one, and then to the other).

26 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

Eagerly waiting.

I'ma gonna guess that this'll be a load of horse dung, as viewed by the rest of the league.

Shenanigans, shenanigans abound! I wonder if Bob can do some shenanigans to fit in a marquee player at half the cost? EK?