The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckFan4Life

Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, nieder said:

This is the busiest deadline in recent memory....and to this point Anaheim has done next to nothing.

Hey, they got older!

1 minute ago, PetrSykora said:

Trading Wagner for Chimera could be worse than doing next to nothing

Meh. It’s a head scratcher but 4th line UFA for 4th line UFA. I don’t see it being very relevant, which is why it’s a random trade.

Chimera and Kelly. 

I'm still having trouble processing this. What. The....

Question is, with Chimera, Kelly and Eaves coming back, team is like 30 something old on average or what?
The other is, where do they fit?

It's a speed league and I know it's not a Ducks identity (integrated yet), but this is an increasingly old and slow team.

This will (and should be a) summer of change.

I'm pro tanking now until next year.
Get healthy, younger and faster.

7 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Meh. It’s a head scratcher but 4th line UFA for 4th line UFA. I don’t see it being very relevant, which is why it’s a random trade.

Wagner - 26. Chimera - 38. 

This stupid team now has three 4th line centers aged 35+.

Why!?

4 minutes ago, poum said:

Wagner - 26. Chimera - 38. 

This stupid team now has three 4th line centers aged 35+.

Why!?

This may be GMBM's way of

A) throwing in the towel, but instead of selling, he is hunting for good karma by paying early pension for old players.
B ) telling the team they don't deserve better.
C) covering his behind by saying he did add without hurting the team on the long run.

11 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Agree. Unless the plan is to send Chimera and/or Kelly to San Diego and let the knew guys audition for next year.

I somewhat get the attachment to Wagner... but Chimera plays the left wing, can still skate and Anaheim is overloaded on the right. Both contracts are up...

Guys like Wagner are going to see 7-8 minutes come the playoffs. It's really a non-move...

1 minute ago, DucksProg said:

A) throwing in the towel, but instead of selling, he is hunting for good karma by paying early pension for old players.
B ) Telling the team they don't deserve better.
C) Covering his behind by saying he did add withput hurting the team on the long run.

I'd go for a  mix of B and C. 

Just now, ZTHER said:

I somewhat get the attachment to Wagner... but Chimera plays the left wing, can still skate and Anaheim is overloaded on the right. Both contracts are up...

Guys like Wagner are going to see 7-8 minutes come the playoffs. It's really a non-move...

He scored 20 goals last year and the year before.  Wagner fir for ANA, but he doesn't fit on many teams.  Both are UFA's.   Maybe Chimera clicks with 14/25.

7 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

Not sure, seems fair to me. Both Hajek and Howden are rated Grade-A prospects, one is a D other is a C, plus Namestnikov and potentially 2 first rounders.

That's not a bill you pay in a fleecing.

I think it's a fleecing in the sense that Tampa just added a star defenceman and a 24 year old 50+ point centre to a contending team for only one significant roster player in Namestnikov. At worst Miller and Namestnikov will cancel each other out so their core is still intact. To call them loaded would be an understatement. Vasilevskiy is a Vezina frontrunner and IMO the only defender in the sport I'd take before Hedman is Doughty. Don't even get me started on their offence. Palat should be coming off the IR soon enough too. 

On an unrelated note, I can now throw out Vladislav Namestnikov from my fantasy team. Thanks Stevie Y!

(I feel for VN by the way, he went from an almighty team to the edges of the pits of hell.)

3 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

B ) telling the team they don't deserve better.
C) covering his behind by saying he did add without hurting the team on the long run.

If he is throwing in the towel, I would rather get a pick which would potentially help us in the future. This trade doesn't help us now or later imo.

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I wonder how much truth there is in these rumors. This is so not GMBM. We should be in on Vanek & perhaps signing chris chelios to a contract. Not Pacioretty & Johnson.

I thought this was hilarious. At first. Now I'm gonna be agitated all day. Dreading the news of the return of the Cheliosaur. 

2 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

This is GMBM's updated profile photo on FB since late Saturday?

His face says it all... Could one day be the photo on the cover of his resume.

7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

He scored 20 goals last year and the year before.  Wagner fir for ANA, but he doesn't fit on many teams.  Both are UFA's.   Maybe Chimera clicks with 14/25.

This is the deal.  I initially hated the Wagner trade, but then I calmed down and the deal is that we need scoring more than we need anything else right now (other than to get over the general team malaise).  Wagner is a hard hitting and fast player, but his scoring isn't enough on a poor scoring line.  Frankly, I think Wagner takes the hit because Vermette can't get anything past a goalie, but he can face off win sometimes.  Though, sheesh, look at Grant!  His face off stats are getting really good!

Anyway, this might be a good deal for us (we get scoring for the next 18 games, or so), and a good deal for Wags (he now has a good reputation... maybe he gets on a line that helps him shine even more, and he gets a good deal UFA).

The silver lining is that if Wagner doesn't fit in, we can probably always get him for whatever price we were going to pay for him at the end of the year anyway.

It's an upgrade where we need it most, and not a big outlay.  This might help us get to the playoffs, and it won't stop us from getting there, and it really didn't cost us anything, not really.

4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

This is the deal.  I initially hated the Wagner trade, but then I calmed down and the deal is that we need scoring more than we need anything else right now (other than to get over the general team malaise).  Wagner is a hard hitting and fast player, but his scoring isn't enough on a poor scoring line.  Frankly, I think Wagner takes the hit because Vermette can't get anything past a goalie, but he can face off win sometimes.  Though, sheesh, look at Grant!  His face off stats are getting really good!

Anyway, this might be a good deal for us (we get scoring for the next 18 games, or so), and a good deal for Wags (he now has a good reputation... maybe he gets on a line that helps him shine even more, and he gets a good deal UFA).

The silver lining is that if Wagner doesn't fit in, we can probably always get him for whatever price we were going to pay for him at the end of the year anyway.

It's an upgrade where we need it most, and not a big outlay.  This might help us get to the playoffs, and it won't stop us from getting there, and it really didn't cost us anything, not really.

Vermette also has a 10 team trade list. I think that also weighed in on the Wagner trade.

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

1st bold - I usually get to this place faster than 99% of other Duck fans.

2nd bold - exactly

And let Grant play. He helped us get a point last night with that FO win. 

4 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

Noticed Grant has taken some pretty big Face-offs recently

He won the faceoff with 10 seconds left that set up the tying goal last night. I love that they're showing more confidence in him. 

15 minutes ago, Fisix said:

This is the deal. I initially hated the Wagner trade, but then I calmed down and the deal is that we need scoring more than we need anything else right now (other than to get over the general team malaise).  Wagner is a hard hitting and fast player, but his scoring isn't enough on a poor scoring line.  Frankly, I think Wagner takes the hit because Vermette can't get anything past a goalie, but he can face off win sometimes.  Though, sheesh, look at Grant!  His face off stats are getting really good!

I'm trying to not hate this. I'm trying to jump through all the hoops to make sense of this. But... there's no polishing this terd. Wagner has more goals and points on a Ducks team that can't be bothered to score on the Arizona Coyotes. Where as the Islanders are 5th in goals for. 

19 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Vermette also has a 10 team trade list. I think that also weighed in on the Wagner trade.

Yeah, I think I'm not the only one who forgot this.  With Grant playing the way he is, if Verm didn't have the MNMC, he'd have been traded for scoring meat instead of Wags.