The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aksun

SPHL New Playoff Format

I'm sorry for not looking up more articles on this, and maybe this was already discussed on the boards earlier, but a friend of mine brought to my attention SPHL's efforts to spice up the playoffs. Essentially, seeds 1-3 get to select any opponent they want from seeds 5-8. Example: Seed 1 Selects seed 6, Seed 2 then selects Seed 5 and so on.

Here's the gist: http://thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_494376

It is said that this is being tested to avoid the Chicago Blackhawks failure of recent happenings in the NHL. So if CHI had so many points and picked someone else than Nashville (nobody will pick them for this years PO, really, if there was such an option), then maybe they'd have a different path.

The pros and cons are obvious and the design of such a system for the NHL is trickier than some random Kentucky minor league, but this might just be the spark in "Rivalries" which the NHL management likes so much, and will ignite heated conversation both on-ice and off-ice. Imagine one team finishing 1st and then picking a 5-seed. The fans of the 5-seed will think "Well then, they consider us total garbage and easy pickings...LET's SHOW THEM!!!" and whatever happens in 5-seed's locker room. It just heats things up a whole notch. I like the idea, it's fun fun fun.

Edit:

87948157a8f7771317c847cec1a7c72f.jpg

Also Edit:

The first video I find Googling this thing, has this exact comment 2nd from the top: "Anaheim picks Calgary 10/10 times". Hackey. Such a tight world.

29 minutes ago, Aksun said:

I'm sorry for not looking up more articles on this, and maybe this was already discussed on the boards earlier, but a friend of mine brought to my attention SPHL's efforts to spice up the playoffs. Essentially, seeds 1-3 get to select any opponent they want from seeds 5-8. Example: Seed 1 Selects seed 6, Seed 2 then selects Seed 5 and so on.

Here's the gist: http://thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_494376

It is said that this is being tested to avoid the Chicago Blackhawks failure of recent happenings in the NHL. So if CHI had so many points and picked someone else than Nashville (nobody will pick them for this years PO, really, if there was such an option), then maybe they'd have a different path.

The pros and cons are obvious and the design of such a system for the NHL is trickier than some random Kentucky minor league, but this might just be the spark in "Rivalries" which the NHL management likes so much, and will ignite heated conversation both on-ice and off-ice. Imagine one team finishing 1st and then picking a 5-seed. The fans of the 5-seed will think "Well then, they consider us total garbage and easy pickings...LET's SHOW THEM!!!" and whatever happens in 5-seed's locker room. It just heats things up a whole notch. I like the idea, it's fun fun fun.

Edit:

87948157a8f7771317c847cec1a7c72f.jpg

Also Edit:

The first video I find Googling this thing, has this exact comment 2nd from the top: "Anaheim picks Calgary 10/10 times". Hackey. Such a tight world.

Sounds worth a shot to me.

We've been doing this in my fantasy league for years btw :) 

42 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

Sounds worth a shot to me.

We've been doing this in my fantasy league for years btw :) 

Fantasy Hockey is useful!!!

Hmmm might also be a way for teams to avoid match ups the rest of the country wants to see. Teams might avoid picking their rival who they know would cause war on the ice, even though the game itself would be fantastic for fans. Question: do you think LA picks Ana or vice versa? Or Montreal picks It’s rival etc etc etc? If you can avoid your worst enemy (even though it would be fun for everyone to watch) would you do it? 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Hmmm might also be a way for teams to avoid match ups the rest of the country wants to see. Teams might avoid picking their rival who they know would cause war on the ice, even though the game itself would be fantastic for fans. Question: do you think LA picks Ana or vice versa? Or Montreal picks It’s rival etc etc etc? If you can avoid your worst enemy (even though it would be fun for everyone to watch) would you do it? 

So if Wash has more points then they would seek to avoid Pitts. Too bad. The NHL will pass on that.

Hypothetically, Nashville picks the Ducks. They won their first playoff round against them. They have continued post season success against them. 

My point being, Nashville chooses the Ducks because they are Anaheims Kryptonite. And I for one, am not emotionally stable enough to handle another loss to those turkeys. 

I vote no on picking opponents. 

Though Anaheim picking Calgary every time is... :lol: 

This would make a lot more sense in a league like the NBA where the top teams are hilariously unbalanced compared to the rest and one conference is significantly better than the other. Parity in the NHL is the worst (best?) it's ever been. The only true dumpster fires in recent years have been in Arizona and Buffalo. I don't really think it would make much of a difference if a top seed in the west had to choose between any of the 3 California teams/Dallas/St. Louis/etc. I guess you could look at a team like Dallas and say Lehtonen is hot garbage and make that your pick but it would still be a lot closer in the end than it would be in any other league where they implement this kind of playoff format. Best part would be the potential for fireworks if a top seed like Washington picks a team like Toronto or something to get away from the lower seed they would originally be matched up with. They're basically being told straight up they're viewed as a lesser opponent and that would definitely lead to some extra motivation. 

I honestly don't mind the current playoff format. It's dumb for sure but the Penguins are probably the only team that has benefited more than the Ducks from divisional playoff matchups. 

It would end up with one team pitting two good teams against each other early and then all hell would break loose.  There's a bit of that now with gaming points at the end of the regular season, but minimized by the risk of putting yourself in a bad situation or out of the playoffs entirely.  Making it a free choice after the team has already made it... would open the door to shenanigans that many would feel unfair.  And, the league wouldn't like it if two big market teams that wouldn't have met each other until the conference finals were forced to meet early due to the choice of a team without a big market...

You guys tell me - do you think hockey fans are more or less likely to follow the playoffs after their favorite team has been eliminated, as compared to NFL, NBA, etc.  

My tentative guess is that hockey fans in the US are much less likely to follow the playoffs after their favorite team is gone.  This year will be a little different, because everyone is interested to see how far Vegas will go... shrug.

I hate extrinsic shenanigans like this kind of selection process would be.  I'm gun shy - the league would find some way to use it to screw the Ducks regularly somehow.

10 hours ago, Fisix said:

It would end up with one team pitting two good teams against each other early and then all hell would break loose.  There's a bit of that now with gaming points at the end of the regular season, but minimized by the risk of putting yourself in a bad situation or out of the playoffs entirely.  Making it a free choice after the team has already made it... would open the door to shenanigans that many would feel unfair.  And, the league wouldn't like it if two big market teams that wouldn't have met each other until the conference finals were forced to meet early due to the choice of a team without a big market...

You guys tell me - do you think hockey fans are more or less likely to follow the playoffs after their favorite team has been eliminated, as compared to NFL, NBA, etc.  

My tentative guess is that hockey fans in the US are much less likely to follow the playoffs after their favorite team is gone.  This year will be a little different, because everyone is interested to see how far Vegas will go... shrug.

I hate extrinsic shenanigans like this kind of selection process would be.  I'm gun shy - the league would find some way to use it to screw the Ducks regularly somehow.

My thoughts is that the leagues is already screwing the Ducks every time they can and feel they'd like to, the biased reffing, the Cogs suspension, you name. If anything, vesting the power to choose on the teams will take away that power from the NHL, and in the end, they want to control which team plays which to get more revenue\hype. And here I thought this was a fun idea...fun, but not for the greedy NHL dumbstards.