Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DT2008

Is Vegas’ success good for the NHL?

6 posts in this topic

When all is said and done, I believe that Vegas’ success this year is a black-eye for the league, its teams and players.

The league gave Vegas unprecedented advantages when it came to the expansion draft.  Teams like Anaheim, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. basically got to pick from 4th liners, career minor leaguers and 6-7 defensemen.  By giving Vegas the selections they did in exchange for a 500 million expansion fee, the league basically devalued other franchises.  In essence they said that having a team is worth 500 million only if it is competitive off the bat.  

For existing teams like Buffalo, etc,  it says that a new team is more important than you.  You are stuck with the assets you have.  You don’t get to select players from other teams free of charge.  You also don’t get to free yourself of bad contracts from non-performers.  You have to suffer through a rebuild instead of getting to start with a clean slate and a group of better than average players.

For players throughout the league, I see a leveling or depressing of salaries for all but the superstars.  Why pay 30 goal scorer 5 million when there are a bunch of other 2nd and third line guys who could score just as much if given a chance.

I truly hope we see GM’s around the league avoid making any deals with Vegas.  Let them stew in their own juice for a few years.  Force them to develop talent instead of benefiting from the work of others.

Not Vegas’ fault Bettman paved the way for the franchise’s success

McPhee was smart, and made the best of what he was offered, and who left themselves open to be fleeced.

This time around the league GMs will be a little smarter with respect to who they can protect.

A lot of credit goes to the Vegas players, who as a bunch of castoffs, bought into Gallant’s system and it worked like magic.

2 people like this

Of course it's good for the league. It's the biggest story of the year in the NHL
The NHL is a league that lacks media exposure in the States, so the publicity of a Cinderella team doing well has the boys in the NHL offices jumping for joy.

I just don't understand why so many are bent about this.

Edited by wataduk
4 people like this

It irks me that Vegas is doing so well but it's not a negative thing in the grand scheme of things in terms of PR. 

As would said, McPee was smart and used other GMs poor decisions against them. Sure, they did have the easiest road as a new expansion team. But I see it as other GMs being screwed by their own stupid mistakes. 

Pretty much 95% of the hockey world expected them to be a basement dweller. The joke is on us. Suddenly those "expendable" players cast off to the Island of Misfit Toys have a chip on their shoulder with a point to prove. 

Plus it's been nice to have a new face topping the goal scoring. Good for W. Karlsson. 

That said, Vegas still annoys me. Pacific Division rivals. 

2 people like this

Who knows about the NHL but what about the impact on the game? What is Vegas proving and correct me if I am wrong. The best way to negate a players skill and talents is to take away their space and time to establish themselves (impacting passing lanes, passes, offsets, etc.). So instead of the 50+ year history of a player going onto the ice and very possibly skating around passively, or waiting (still) until the puck is put into their direction or they become involved in the play due to the actions of others, you get on the ice and go full throttle for your entire time on the ice. Imagine a five players on the ice who are playing like Cogs, Kase and Wagner with an incessant objective to swarm the puck, harass the puck handler, and constantly be moving the puck when possessed; not focused on the perfect pass but focused on forward possession, passes or shots near or close to the net and creating chaos v. poetry.

What is the result? Your $7MM a year top tier player surrounded by his $4MM a year counterparts are losing space and possession time with opposing players who objective is to take away their space in all three zones and essentially frustrate them and catch them flat footed and create scoring opportunities and literally wear them out. It is not an offensive strategy it is actually a defensive strategy that creates offense by making the other teams play "on their heels" waiting for the counter punch that will happen with every turnover or short possession (caused by being constantly pestered).

It is moving the needle where pure passing talent, great hands, etc. are in part negated by relentless pressure both on and away from the puck.......will it change the paradigm of what a team really needs to be competitive until the new wave of super fast super quick players that can both defend and score in a more chaotic free wheeling manner become the marquee players?

See the San Jose Mercury News article today............"Sharks need to realize they are not in Orange County anymore". Vegas plays fast, hard and relentlessly. That does not necessarily require a $6MM or $8MM player. Assemble a team that plays like that and the paradigm moves a bit. Remember in this sport your best players are only on the ice for 1/3 of the game. Their second and third lines (offense and defense) seem far more determined to outwork their opponents. Not focusing on skill or match ups as much as effort and a keen focus on taking away time and space.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, sclives said:

Who knows about the NHL but what about the impact on the game? What is Vegas proving and correct me if I am wrong. The best way to negate a players skill and talents is to take away their space and time to establish themselves (impacting passing lanes, passes, offsets, etc.). So instead of the 50+ year history of a player going onto the ice and very possibly skating around passively, or waiting (still) until the puck is put into their direction or they become involved in the play due to the actions of others, you get on the ice and go full throttle for your entire time on the ice. Imagine a five players on the ice who are playing like Cogs, Kase and Wagner with an incessant objective to swarm the puck, harass the puck handler, and constantly be moving the puck when possessed; not focused on the perfect pass but focused on forward possession, passes or shots near or close to the net and creating chaos v. poetry.

What is the result? Your $7MM a year top tier player surrounded by his $4MM a year counterparts are losing space and possession time with opposing players who objective is to take away their space in all three zones and essentially frustrate them and catch them flat footed and create scoring opportunities and literally wear them out. It is not an offensive strategy it is actually a defensive strategy that creates offense by making the other teams play "on their heels" waiting for the counter punch that will happen with every turnover or short possession (caused by being constantly pestered).

It is moving the needle where pure passing talent, great hands, etc. are in part negated by relentless pressure both on and away from the puck.......will it change the paradigm of what a team really needs to be competitive until the new wave of super fast super quick players that can both defend and score in a more chaotic free wheeling manner become the marquee players?

See the San Jose Mercury News article today............"Sharks need to realize they are not in Orange County anymore". Vegas plays fast, hard and relentlessly. That does not necessarily require a $6MM or $8MM player. Assemble a team that plays like that and the paradigm moves a bit. Remember in this sport your best players are only on the ice for 1/3 of the game. Their second and third lines (offense and defense) seem far more determined to outwork their opponents. Not focusing on skill or match ups as much as effort and a keen focus on taking away time and space.

Good post!    I live in Boise now and this is very similar to why Boise St football does so well.  Take decent players and put them in a system that brings the best out of them. BSU has had only two 4-star recruits ever.  They just had the Cowboys take 1st rounder with pick 19 and he was a walk on as a freshman.

About Vegas, some of those players do have decent skill. Never understood why FLA didn't protect March.....  he has a wicked shot.   They created a lot of chaos on their goals last night and all year, which also leads them to be scored in bunches at a time.