The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
oside2006

2018 Free Agency

31 minutes ago, oside2006 said:

Who will the Ducks target this free agency?

who will be traded for Forward help?

Interesting questions you are asking...I have though about who our Ducks will target in Free agent frenzy. IMHO Ducks will sign their RFA's First and focus on certain UFA's.....My choice for the Ducks is 1.Micheal Grabner 2.JT Brown and 3.Jack Johnson.

As for Trade Not sure but I hope BM knows that in order to do a shakeup he needs to demand High and holds his cards right.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

im thinking they will use Petterson as trade bait. and possibly either Megna or Welniski. We need to get a third line winger for Rico and Kase. Ritchie isnt helping out a whole lot. he has his moments, but we need consistency and lots of less stupid penalties

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oside2006 said:

im thinking they will use Petterson as trade bait. and possibly either Megna or Welniski. We need to get a third line winger for Rico and Kase. Ritchie isnt helping out a whole lot. he has his moments, but we need consistency and lots of less stupid penalties

I think Rico and Kase are the 2nd line. And should be treated as more of the sendary scoring threat apart from Rakell and Getz. So hopefully we find a 2nd line type winger

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

I think Rico and Kase are the 2nd line. And should be treated as more of the sendary scoring threat apart from Rakell and Getz. So hopefully we find a 2nd line type winger

Honestly, I think Roy works out fine with Kase and Rico. That's the kind of speed/skating that GMBM says he wants. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Honestly, I think Roy works out fine with Kase and Rico. That's the kind of speed/skating that GMBM says he wants. 

That works. 

21 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Ritchie's rights sent away for picks or a good NCAA prospect in someone's system.

anyone you have in mind?....Ducks need to make Demands that can sweeten a Deal.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/10/2018 at 8:32 PM, Drake12 said:

Ritchie's rights sent away for picks or a good NCAA prospect in someone's system.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm still bitter about the Jultz loop hole. I'd rather keep In-N-Out over another Jultz. The fact of the matter is we've been saying "next year" for four or so seasons. And realistically, they got this one last season to make a push before they trend downhill. And it might not be a desirable team to go to when a loophole exists. 

I'm not saying the Ducks will be bottom feeders (Buffalo and Edmonton, also lol@Detroit for being one now). They still got that sweet, sweet young wonderful defensive core and goaltending. What I am saying is, we might have to get used to a lot of first round exits in our future. 

6 hours ago, poum said:

Maybe, just maybe, I'm still bitter about the Jultz loop hole. I'd rather keep In-N-Out over another Jultz. The fact of the matter is we've been saying "next year" for four or so seasons. And realistically, they got this one last season to make a push before they trend downhill. And it might not be a desirable team to go to when a loophole exists. 

I'm not saying the Ducks will be bottom feeders (Buffalo and Edmonton, also lol@Detroit for being one now). They still got that sweet, sweet young wonderful defensive core and goaltending. What I am saying is, we might have to get used to a lot of first round exits in our future. 

Yeah, the Schultz loop hole needs to be done away with but I blame the league more for allowing it than him for exercising it. Schultz simply didn't want to play here and unfortunately it hosed us.

The Ducks have a young defensive core but the problems are that (a) Carlyle is coaching them; (b) there aren't enough spots for them in the lineup going forward. They would have to move one of them if they want to seriously address the scoring and offense up-front because Murray doesn't go big in free agency. Trading Ritchie, Pettersson or Welinski is not going bring in anything close to what the Ducks need. This core is potentially only together for four more years until Manson and Lindholm become UFA's. With Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf slated to be here for the next 3 years, we are going to be wasting the primes of our defense with an aging core that isn't going to contend. You don't need the most talented or elite defense to win anymore. An above average defense, rock-solid goaltending and a dynamic, quick-strike offense seems to be the trend now. We have two of those but are seriously lacking in the third. We need goals and a lot more of them.

• Like 1

Yah, no agruments from me. A quick strike offense is the new trend. And the Ducks have some of those, Rakell and Kase come to mind. And as you pointed out, the big set behind is Carlyle. Roy could even be a fun new toy. But yah. Coaches.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poum said:

Yah, no agruments from me. A quick strike offense is the new trend. And the Ducks have some of those, Rakell and Kase come to mind. And as you pointed out, the big set behind is Carlyle. Roy could even be a fun new toy. But yah. Coaches.

Add Roy to the Lineup Ducks have some Speed injecting into the team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, the Schultz loop hole needs to be done away with but I blame the league more for allowing it than him for exercising it. Schultz simply didn't want to play here and unfortunately it hosed us.

His problem wasn't that he exercized it, but constantly told us he WASN'T.  That's what made it so bad and makes him an apple.

• Like 2

Ducks don't usually sign anybody significant during Free Agency.  They wait while all the top FA's sign elsewhere, then complain about the high prices being asked, and then wait until the trade deadline when they can again say that nobody can be signed because of the players/picks being demanded.

Repeat the cycle once the season ends.

Remember the days when they signed Scottie as a FA?  Or traded for Teemu or Pronger?  Yeah, neither do I.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2018 at 4:23 AM, poum said:

I'd rather see the roster spot go to a good goalie or a forward who actually contributes to the team, Jultz loop hole notwithstanding. Ritchie is a 10th overall pick overshadowed by smaller guys like Kase who are more in line with the direction the game is going. Why continue with an unsuccessful set up when there are other factors that can be included to either push the team in the right direction or slow the pending decline. 

Ducks won't be bottom feeders because unlike the cities you've mentioned, quality of life comes easy here-and San Diego. But mid-table team, I see it.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, oside2006 said:

If there's trade bait, it should be Ritchie who has had plenty of opportunity to earn a spot.  Two of Petterson, Megna and Welinski are the future D to replace Beach and Bieksa.

Somehow I doubt that.  I don't think he would make it on a team like Winnipeg or Vegas.  Do you?  He's too slow to move and to react.  Not to mention the number of dumb penalties that he takes really upset any sort or rhythm or momentum that is created.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

If there's trade bait, it should be Ritchie who has had plenty of opportunity to earn a spot.  Two of Petterson, Megna and Welinski are the future D to replace Beach and Bieksa.

You're not going to reel in anything with that kind of bait though. I know that everyone wants to trade Ritchie for lawn furniture right now but he's probably staying put and he wouldn't bringing back anything better than him anyway. He's a top-10 pick and teams generally don't give up on them after two seasons. Plus, he can be dropped down to the 4th line where he might be better suited. Pettersson, Megna and Welinksi have 44 NHL games combined between and aren't going to bring back anything valuable. I think that Larsson is going to be one of the most important players to watch next season. The Ducks got rid of Theodore because they are so confident that he's going to be the real deal. If he is, then it opens up trade options on the back end. Larsson would presumably replace Beauchemin and then the 6th spot could go to one of our AHLers or Murray could bring in a veteran, which seems to be his yearly tradition.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Somehow I doubt that.  I don't think he would make it on a team like Winnipeg or Vegas.  Do you?  He's too slow to move and to react.  Not to mention the number of dumb penalties that he takes really upset any sort or rhythm or momentum that is created.  

it's really tough to say.  what we DO know is that he isn't flourishing in anaheim.  that's about all we know.  i don't think he'll be able to slot into any other team and just magically become a solid 2nd liner... but other coaches and staff can do wonders, as can the act of being traded.  I think if someone kept his on-ice needs simple, and lined him up with people who could feed, or feed off of, that simplicity, he'd find traction in his development and perhaps finally be able to leverage all that physical potential into solid, repeatable play on ice.

We keep holding onto him because it's obvious he has that potential... but we can't figure out how to drag it out of him.  It's at least partially a failure on our part.

• Like 4

Ok, since this thread is about trades or free agency I'll throw out Teuvo Teravainen as a possible trade. I think I remember reading in another thread that Carolina wanted some more size and Ritchie fits that bill. A third line of Teravainen, Rico and Kase would be plenty fast and have the ability to score. Free agency looks too expensive so I hope Bob doesn't go dumpster diving there especially for a defensive pylon. Giving RC a defensive free agent pylon is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 3:48 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

Ducks don't usually sign anybody significant during Free Agency.  They wait while all the top FA's sign elsewhere, then complain about the high prices being asked, and then wait until the trade deadline when they can again say that nobody can be signed because of the players/picks being demanded.

Remember the days when they signed Scottie as a FA?  Or traded for Teemu or Pronger?  Yeah, neither do I.

I Do and the oppourtity presents itself to our Ducks....Carolina says everyone is avaible cept Aho....I am hoping for a player from Carolina Ducks could aquire....he is Teuvo Teravaien and draft pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

On 5/14/2018 at 0:48 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

The only reason Scottie signed with Anaheim was because his brother played for the Ducks and Scottie wanted to win a cup with Rob. If Rob had been playing elsewhere Scottie would never have signed with the Ducks  he would have signed with whichever team Rob was playing for at the time.

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

The only reason Scottie signed with Anaheim was because his brother played for the Ducks and Scottie wanted to win a cup with Rob. If Rob had been playing elsewhere Scottie would never have signed with the Ducks  he would have signed with whichever team Rob was playing for at the time.

If it was not for Rob Ducks would not have made that move to sign Scottie. We should be grateful for that moment.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

46 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

If it was not for Rob Ducks would not have made that move to sign Scottie. We should be grateful for that moment.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'm very grateful. I was just making the point that the GM had very little to do with making that signing happen.  But to Hockeylzcool's point I agree that the Ducks have never really had a history of big name signings.

• Like 1

I don't for one moment think that BM will pay top dollar for a big name UFA, but I can totally see him going for a few veteran guys to plug holes. Here's my (likely unpopular) suggestions:

1. Sign Luke Schenn as a UFA. 6'2 230lbs. Right-shot. SAH. Hits. Fights. Decent skater. He's been a 3rd pair-guy for most of his career, but IMO he'd be a nice partner for Fowler on our 2nd pair. He's positionally sound in the D-zone, and he has almost zero offensive instincts, so it would allow Fowler more freedom to join the rush and attack in the O-zone (which he doesn't have playing with Monty).

2. Dangle Monty as trade bait for a young, future top-6 forward. Yes, the idea of trading Monty will be unpopular around here. I know. But if we are going to stick with RC as our coach, I don't think Monty is going to live up to his potential as an offensive-minded defenseman (just like Vats didn't under RC). And of all the defensive prospects the Ducks have, Monty also brings back the greatest return IMO. He showed quite a bit of flash in the playoffs (even though he was so clearly disregarding what RC wanted him to do) and I'm sure it caught the attention of a number of GMs around the league who themselves don't have a stable full of young, offensively-skilled D-men like the Ducks do. Monty is also an RFA and is due a significant pay raise and he is arbitration eligible this summer, and his 9 goals last season puts him in a good position to demand more than the club probably wants to pay a 24-year-old defenseman with fewer than 150 games on his resume. So I'd be entertaining serious offers for him. Like a pick + Monty for Sam Reinhart, and Monty can then go play with Dahlin in Buffalo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't for one moment think that BM will pay top dollar for a big name UFA, but I can totally see him going for a few veteran guys to plug holes. Here's my (likely unpopular) suggestions:

1. Sign Luke Schenn as a UFA. 6'2 230lbs. Right-shot. SAH. Hits. Fights. Decent skater. He's been a 3rd pair-guy for most of his career, but IMO he'd be a nice partner for Fowler on our 2nd pair. He's positionally sound in the D-zone, and he has almost zero offensive instincts, so it would allow Fowler more freedom to join the rush and attack in the O-zone (which he doesn't have playing with Monty).

2. Dangle Monty as trade bait for a young, future top-6 forward. Yes, the idea of trading Monty will be unpopular around here. I know. But if we are going to stick with RC as our coach, I don't think Monty is going to live up to his potential as an offensive-minded defenseman (just like Vats didn't under RC). And of all the defensive prospects the Ducks have, Monty also brings back the greatest return IMO. He showed quite a bit of flash in the playoffs (even though he was so clearly disregarding what RC wanted him to do) and I'm sure it caught the attention of a number of GMs around the league who themselves don't have a stable full of young, offensively-skilled D-men like the Ducks do. Monty is also an RFA and is due a significant pay raise and he is arbitration eligible this summer, and his 9 goals last season puts him in a good position to demand more than the club probably wants to pay a 24-year-old defenseman with fewer than 150 games on his resume. So I'd be entertaining serious offers for him. Like a pick + Monty for Sam Reinhart, and Monty can then go play with Dahlin in Buffalo.

That's the inherent problem with Bob Murray. Plugging holes that really don't exist. I would like to think that the Gulls are there for a reason, you know to develop the players that can slide in to fill positions. Otherwise, Bob should just put Terry, Jones, Steel and the rest of them on the trading block.

I don't see why Schenn would want to leave Arizona to play for Anaheim. If OEL wants to stay there, then he must believe the future is bright.

I've seen the "Dangle Monty" out there on other web pages and while I understand the thought behind it, I just don't get it. Why make Anaheim weaker defensively? He may be getting a pay raise but it's not going to be a breaking the bank pay raise. He did have 9 goals last season but he also had a stretch of I believe 50 games in between goals so it's not like he was a scoring machine. He's young, mobile and fast, something that Anaheim really needs if they really want to compete in the future.

Randy Carlyle is not the future of Anaheim. He has one year left on his contract (and an option for a one year extension after that). He might not even last next season if Murray was really honest about putting him on a short leash. So my expectations for next season are not very high. Aging forward veterans, young defense and a knuckle dragging coach. And a GM that talks like a used car sales man.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2018 at 9:16 PM, Shadowduck said:

I'm very grateful. I was just making the point that the GM had very little to do with making that signing happen.  But to Hockeylzcool's point I agree that the Ducks have never really had a history of big name signings.

Good Point also it goes along with my view of the Ducks "Developing within" Method which I coin the term...aka Tight Budget.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/16/2018 at 2:51 PM, MooseDuck said:

I Do and the oppourtity presents itself to our Ducks....Carolina says everyone is avaible cept Aho....I am hoping for a player from Carolina Ducks could aquire....he is Teuvo Teravaien and draft pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think the Ducks would be the ones adding a pick here.  Teravainen is way better than Ritchie and actually has produced at the NHL level.  Granted he played with Toews in Chicago but last year he still produced in Carolina.  Id love to see him in a Ducks uniform next year for Ritchie and a pick.