oside2006

2018 Free Agency

726 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, wataduk said:

I don't think it is 24/7...probably more like 21/5 but I get your point.
The thing you might be missing is the fact that it was not the fans that created these expectations but management who told us there was a very realistic Cup window that was wide open for about 5 years. Bob Murray stood in front of me and told us that at countless SSH meetings over the past years. They (management)  reinforced that thought by obtaining pieces AND the piece that many thought would get the team over the top when they went out and obtained Ryan Kesler after the loss to LA in the 2nd round.

And after getting that piece we made the WCF twice.  Having a realistic chance doesn't mean it will happen.  There are 7-8 teams annually with a realistic chance, and only 2 get tot finals with 1 winning.  That doesn't mean the other 6 weren't honest when they said so or that they didn't make an honest effort within their limitations.

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nailed it on #1-4. I disagree with the bolded though. As far as D-men go, Lindholm, Manson, Vatanen, and arguably Fowler, all came of age while Boudreau was here. Hockey players also spend a lot more time learning the nuances of the game from their position coaches, so if there's credit to be given for their development, I would argue that the cedit goes to Yawney (and probably some to Scotty as well for the time he spent as a "consultant"), not Carlyle or even Boudreau. We also saw Vatanen take a HUGE step back once RC arrived, and then turn right back into a great player once he was in a system that emphasized a higher point of attack (rather than collapsing into the zone like RC preaches) and quicker pace. And as fun as Monty was to watch flying up and down the ice in the playoffs (a series in which we led for a total of 9 mins and were ultimately outscored 16-4), I thought he played extremely tentative during the regular season after his benching in December. 50 straight games without a goal from 

Fair point about all of those guys breaking in with Boudreau and getting their feet wet with him, but I would argue that in the cases of Manson and Fowler, their games have elevated in a way since RC took over. 2 years ago, I thought Manson would be nothing more than a bottom pairing guy, and we were all debating whether or not we should trade Fowler for Buffalo's 8th overall pick (don't think any of us would today). A lot has to do with "consultant" Scotty as well, but if it was RC's idea to employ or keep him around, then RC should get some credit as well. Vats had some ebb and flow with RC just as much as he did with New Jersey, but I don't think RC hindered his overall ability overall, meaning I don't think he tried to change his game. Some of it's system, you are right, another part is that Vats has always been a streaky player.

9 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

It's truly amazing how some posters here have no concept of what really happens and make crap up in their own little fantasy worlds.  We've been over 100+ points five straight seasons. (six if you count the 48-game season pro-rated). Yet people still whine 24/7.  It's embarrassing to be a Ducks fan when other fans are so whiny. 

Indeed that is true....disapointed in some.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

And after getting that piece we made the WCF twice.  Having a realistic chance doesn't mean it will happen.  There are 7-8 teams annually with a realistic chance, and only 2 get tot finals with 1 winning.  That doesn't mean the other 6 weren't honest when they said so or that they didn't make an honest effort within their limitations.

And I agree with you.
The point of my post was that there was a team on the ice here in Anaheim for about 4-5 years that was quite capable of winning a Cup but came up short. Thus the disappointment from some fans.

Look at the recent Stanley Cup winners from DC. They were thought to be, if not Cup favorites, then certainly 2nd choice by many pundits for a number of years. As soon as they are an afterthought to come put of the east, they win it all!

So who knows?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Fair point about all of those guys breaking in with Boudreau and getting their feet wet with him, but I would argue that in the cases of Manson and Fowler, their games have elevated in a way since RC took over. 2 years ago, I thought Manson would be nothing more than a bottom pairing guy, and we were all debating whether or not we should trade Fowler for Buffalo's 8th overall pick (don't think any of us would today). A lot has to do with "consultant" Scotty as well, but if it was RC's idea to employ or keep him around, then RC should get some credit as well. Vats had some ebb and flow with RC just as much as he did with New Jersey, but I don't think RC hindered his overall ability overall, meaning I don't think he tried to change his game. Some of it's system, you are right, another part is that Vats has always been a streaky player.

Lindholm-Manson was already one of the top shut-down D-pairings during Boudreau’s final season. Weren’t they something like second in shot-suppression in the entire NHL (behind one of the Nashville pairings)? It’s how Lindholm got $5.25M/season that following summer after BB was fired. I disagree 42, 45, 47 we’re just “getting their feet wet” before RC showed up. They were already legit NHL top-4 defenders and we won the Jennings before RC came back, in large part due to how well they all played.

But again, IMO that’s to Yawney’s credit. Yawney had those guys in Norfolk before they made the big club, and then he basically came with them to Anaheim. He’s got more to do with their development than anyone else. It’ll be interesting to see how Yawney’s canning affects some of those guys, and also if Yawney can turn around the Oilers defense and PK. I wasn’t happy to see him land in the same division.

4 people like this

10 hours ago, wataduk said:

I don't think it is 24/7...probably more like 21/5 but I get your point.
The thing you might be missing is the fact that it was not the fans that created these expectations but management who told us there was a very realistic Cup window that was wide open for about 5 years. Bob Murray stood in front of me and told us that at countless SSH meetings over the past years. They (management)  reinforced that thought by obtaining pieces AND the piece that many thought would get the team over the top when they went out and obtained Ryan Kesler after the loss to LA in the 2nd round. It also doesn't help having the press/media select the Ducks as one of the favorites to win it all for about 4 seasons straight only for the team to come up short of that particular goal.
So yes, I agree, the 100 points is great, and it certainly beats being a Carolina Hurricanes fan but it does not exceed what is expected of the boys based on the squad management has assembled. Someday those Pacific banners might look really nice hanging from the rafters but at the moment, IMO, they simply stand as reminders of many opportunities lost. Like I said....someday, that will probably change but not quite yet. Too soon.

Ryan Getzlaf is a generational talent with freakish skill and I am quite sure that many, including myself feel it would be a waste for him not to lead this organization to the Promised Land. Unfortunately, it is beginning to appear that that might well be the case. That is frustrating to me. Yes, he won a Cup but that was definitely not his team and just not the same as if he were to lead the Ducks to a championship under his captaincy. I am pretty sure Ryan would tell you the same thing.

For the record, I don't consider myself a whiner but am always hopeful my favorite team can make that leap and bring home the grand prize. After all, isn't that what being a sports fan is all about......hope?

This isn't a whine at all. :D .  You posted based on legit stuff.  I and a few others were referring to the types of posts where the author of the post really believes the horse crap stuff they posted.

My argument to your post, and it's not a great one, is that they have come so incredibly close to reaching those promised goals a few times. And only one team each year gets to achieve that goal. And it takes just about every break imaginable to achieve it. That's what makes the Cup so awesome.

Washington made some kind of tweak to their defense in Game 6 vs TB and it carried them to 6 wins in their last 7 games.

Boudreau didn't and still doesn't have the mental toughness it takes to win in the playoffs. A guy like Babcock, for example,  doesn't lose all those game 7's at home. Maybe one of them.

It's such a fine line in a lot of these playoff series, that I'm just going to enjoy hockey for what it is and be glad my team goes as far as it possibly can go.

Last year, the team went so much farther than anyone could imagine IMO. Especially the regular season where they hung around .500 w/o Getz and Kesler.  The injury to Kesler is going to haunt this team for awhile.  If he plays, doesn't look like he's 100%, and that's not a good thing. He was one of the main reasons we got to the Nashville round two years ago. I wish the best for Kesler, but in a way, I hope he retires and we can find a way to use that money to get the scoring winger we need so bad. I watch 1-2 games nightly on Center Ice during the season. There is no way we are close to the elite teams in the league right now. The Kesler situation and Perry really not being Perry any longer and I see a much higher probability that we will be the Edmonton or Calgary this year that just falls flat on its face.

You're 100% right on the expectations. I try not to have them too high. I'll be amazed if this team makes it into round two this year.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, gotchabari said:

this

I think I may have spent to much time lurking on HF this off-season. This place is tame and level headed in comparison. HF is a clown car attempting an Evil Knievel canyon jump. An entertainment of it's own.

4 people like this

I agree 100% about the whining on this board. It’s either whining about some aspect of the team or whining about other other posters who are whining. Some whines are better than others as there is some merit to them while others just whine about the whiners and well, yeah... it’s a whining cycle.

Instead of the classic “winning!” It should be “whining!”

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I agree 100% about the whining on this board. It’s either whining about some aspect of the team or whining about other other posters who are whining. Some whines are better than others as there is some merit to them while others just whine about the whiners and well, yeah... it’s a whining cycle.

Instead of the classic “winning!” It should be “whining!”

Well with Great Whinning Comes Great Cheese...j/k. Anyways all Ducks Fans always have views on what is a decison for the team going forward I agree that Whinning is getting abit much and the need to understand realistic outcome is very important...I myself choose not to predict and hope for the Best.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

16 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Well with Great Whinning Comes Great Cheese...j/k. Anyways all Ducks Fans always have views on what is a decison for the team going forward I agree that Whinning is getting abit much and the need to understand realistic outcome is very important...I myself choose not to predict and hope for the Best.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Moose Duck you are the eternal optimist and the exception ;)

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, poum said:

I think I may have spent to much time lurking on HF this off-season. This place is tame and level headed in comparison. HF is a clown car attempting an Evil Knievel canyon jump. An entertainment of it's own.

+1 :lol:

But in all seriousness, this "whining" thing seems like a slippery slope to me. Every single one of us has probably "whined" on this board at one time or another in the eyes of someone else. But this is generally a fun (and free!) message board with a lot of different viewpoints and I like seeing a diversity of opinions, even the ones that make your eyes roll. Not sure why we would want to discourage participation here by calling people whiners. 

4 people like this

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

But in all seriousness, this "whining" thing seems like a slippery slope to me. Every single one of us has probably "whined" on this board at one time or another in the eyes of someone else. But this is generally a fun (and free!) message board with a lot of different viewpoints and I like seeing a diversity of opinions, even the ones that make your eyes roll. Not sure why we would want to discourage participation here by calling people whiners. 

Stop whining about the whining! :P

Edit: Side note, Kase is still unsigned. Plenty of time to figure it out, but I haven't heard anything from both fronts recently. Did Kase declare arbitration or no? Not too worried about Ritchie, he doesn't much of a case to earn big bucks.

Edited by BlazingEtem
2 people like this

3 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Edit: Side note, Kase is still unsigned. Plenty of time to figure it out, but I haven't heard anything from both fronts recently. Did Kase declare arbitration or no? Not too worried about Ritchie, he doesn't much of a case to earn big bucks.

Exactly!

Kase is not eligible for arbitration. I have no doubt he'll be signed in the next few weeks though, or at least before camp. You get the feeling that Gibson is top of the priority list, and Kase/Ritchie may depend on what Gibby is asking for due to tagging space in 2019-20.

11 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

This isn't a whine at all. :D .  You posted based on legit stuff.  I and a few others were referring to the types of posts where the author of the post really believes the horse crap stuff they posted.

Darn, I was hoping for an argument.
What is this board coming to? :lol:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

It's the people, it's the content.  When 50% of content is repetition of a point that has been proven factually incorrect, or worse yet is in direct opposition of the opinion someone had two posts ago, it just gets draining.  

In the spirit of Mooseduck, it's not discouragement of sharing an opinion, but rather encouragement to pay attention to responses to see if you misunderstood something or to check your own prior statements to see if the logic is still flowing in the same direction.

When boards become predictable, they die.  See also, HF Boards...

I haven't been on the Anaheim HF Boards yet. It's hard to imagine them being worse than Anaheim Calling. That place makes Doomsday Preppers look calm and composed.

3 people like this

7 hours ago, gotchabari said:

It's the people, it's the content.  When 50% of content is repetition of a point that has been proven factually incorrect, or worse yet is in direct opposition of the opinion someone had two posts ago, it just gets draining.  

In the spirit of Mooseduck, it's not discouragement of sharing an opinion, but rather encouragement to pay attention to responses to see if you misunderstood something or to check your own prior statements to see if the logic is still flowing in the same direction.

When boards become predictable, they die.  See also, HF Boards...

Some probably believe that I've whined a time or two myself but I also get that the doom and gloom can get disheartening. My biggest issue is the assumptions, I heard with no resource, and guesses with zero fact checking. Sometimes it makes my head spin. There are so many resources; Capfriendly.com, ocregister.com, several on twitter, etc., google.

For those that believe Anaheim fans are hockey ignorant, I disagree. I find the majority of posters to be knowledgeable and share a lot of insight. There are also those with a lot of questions which is great to learn the game and the team. 

GO DUCKS! :t_hot_unread:

2 people like this

On 7/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, BlazingEtem said:

Kase doesn't have arbitration rights until a couple of off seasons from now. Ritchie is next off season.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:07 AM, dtsdlaw said:

I've been reading this message board for like a decade now but I didn't really decide to start posting until recently because well, out of boredom...LOL...We might disagree or come up with some wild ideas but it's all in good fun plus it can be very informative. I've browsed HF and can't stand it. Too many uptight know-it-all's there. I'm old and I like to whine once in a while about what's going on with Anaheim. I would say if we weren't whining, we wouldn't care about the team.

2 people like this

On 7/31/2018 at 10:07 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Bumped +1

8 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I've been reading this message board for like a decade now but I didn't really decide to start posting until recently because well, out of boredom...LOL...We might disagree or come up with some wild ideas but it's all in good fun plus it can be very informative. I've browsed HF and can't stand it. Too many uptight know-it-all's there. I'm old and I like to whine once in a while about what's going on with Anaheim. I would say if we weren't whining, we wouldn't care about the team.

Exactly. No one knows it all unless you are the player or GM or you have a crystal ball. ALL of us speculate. Either we read/ hear something from someone else and then regurgitate it here or we just speak based off our own personal viewpoints whether it’s right or downright wrong. We all get frustrated and want to express that in here which is great. We love this team so if course we’ll get flustered a bit and come here to speak our minds with others who love this team as well. It’s the people who come here and slam others in a offensive way that is wrong. Most people here have disagreements followed up by friendly rational to back or explain why they saying what they are saying. Of course there are some posts that are so ridiculous that people just laugh or roll their eyes at (mine included!) but whatever LOL. 

Edited by RobD360
2 people like this

Look as Much as we can speculate on what Ducks will Do and what free agent goes where Let's be happy Ducks sign the players they need...imho IF they want to look for speed it will be within the Rank-and-File. Besides having the Bearded one back we see a Motivated one.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Sooo...I think this is a good sign in regards to Kesler, lol.

Seriously??!! LOL This sounds like the KesBoss we all love and everyone hates. Hopefully it’s a sign that he’s ready to go (fingers crossed) or it could just be that Kesler is that arrogant even if he plays on one skate and half a hip he’ll still talk smack. 

17 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Seriously??!! LOL This sounds like the KesBoss we all love and everyone hates. Hopefully it’s a sign that he’s ready to go (fingers crossed) or it could just be that Kesler is that arrogant even if he plays on one skate and half a hip he’ll still talk smack. 

Kinda what I was thinking. Surely he wouldn't be trash talking if he's likely to miss the season.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, nieder said:

Kinda what I was thinking. Surely he wouldn't be trash talking if he's likely to miss the season.

Was there ever a doubt? :P

Friedman knows nothing about what goes on in Anaheim, so he just makes stuff up based on rumors.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Was there ever a doubt? :P

Friedman knows nothing about what goes on in Anaheim, so he just makes stuff up based on rumors.

It’s just been a weird saga so far with Kesler’s injury. I don’t think that the issue to focus on is if Kesler plays, but how he effective he’ll be when he does. If there isn’t a significant improvement from last year then this little twitter beef won’t look like the smartest move. I’d like nothing more than for him to regain his old form and then send Friedman a Costco-sized tub of noodles and Ragu.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s just been a weird saga so far with Kesler’s injury. I don’t think that the issue to focus on is if Kesler plays, but how he effective he’ll be when he does. If there isn’t a significant improvement from last year then this little twitter beef won’t look like the smartest move. I’d like nothing more than for him to regain his old form and then send Friedman a Costco-sized tub of noodles and Ragu.

Only person that I beleive can ensure that Kesler will be playing for the Ducks 25th Anniversary season is...Kesboss himself. Have any of us heard ANYTHING from him in regards to the injury?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck