The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
oside2006

2018 Free Agency

2 minutes ago, jrbeck11 said:

I think the Ducks would be the ones adding a pick here.  Teravainen is way better than Ritchie and actually has produced at the NHL level.  Granted he played with Toews in Chicago but last year he still produced in Carolina.  Id love to see him in a Ducks uniform next year for Ritchie and a pick.

He should be a Good choice for the Ducks to target also.....ask for a Pick too in exchange.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, dtsdlaw said:

I don't for one moment think that BM will pay top dollar for a big name UFA, but I can totally see him going for a few veteran guys to plug holes. Here's my (likely unpopular) suggestions:

1. Sign Luke Schenn as a UFA. 6'2 230lbs. Right-shot. SAH. Hits. Fights. Decent skater. He's been a 3rd pair-guy for most of his career, but IMO he'd be a nice partner for Fowler on our 2nd pair. He's positionally sound in the D-zone, and he has almost zero offensive instincts, so it would allow Fowler more freedom to join the rush and attack in the O-zone (which he doesn't have playing with Monty).

2. Dangle Monty as trade bait for a young, future top-6 forward. Yes, the idea of trading Monty will be unpopular around here. I know. But if we are going to stick with RC as our coach, I don't think Monty is going to live up to his potential as an offensive-minded defenseman (just like Vats didn't under RC). And of all the defensive prospects the Ducks have, Monty also brings back the greatest return IMO. He showed quite a bit of flash in the playoffs (even though he was so clearly disregarding what RC wanted him to do) and I'm sure it caught the attention of a number of GMs around the league who themselves don't have a stable full of young, offensively-skilled D-men like the Ducks do. Monty is also an RFA and is due a significant pay raise and he is arbitration eligible this summer, and his 9 goals last season puts him in a good position to demand more than the club probably wants to pay a 24-year-old defenseman with fewer than 150 games on his resume. So I'd be entertaining serious offers for him. Like a pick + Monty for Sam Reinhart, and Monty can then go play with Dahlin in Buffalo.

While I don't expect Monty to get a big raise, I imagine he has the most trade value he'll have for a couple years. And the Ducks do need a future young forward to be part of the next core with Rackell and Kase. What you're proposing isn't a bad idea.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, dtsdlaw said:

I don't for one moment think that BM will pay top dollar for a big name UFA, but I can totally see him going for a few veteran guys to plug holes. Here's my (likely unpopular) suggestions:

1. Sign Luke Schenn as a UFA. 6'2 230lbs. Right-shot. SAH. Hits. Fights. Decent skater. He's been a 3rd pair-guy for most of his career, but IMO he'd be a nice partner for Fowler on our 2nd pair. He's positionally sound in the D-zone, and he has almost zero offensive instincts, so it would allow Fowler more freedom to join the rush and attack in the O-zone (which he doesn't have playing with Monty).

2. Dangle Monty as trade bait for a young, future top-6 forward. Yes, the idea of trading Monty will be unpopular around here. I know. But if we are going to stick with RC as our coach, I don't think Monty is going to live up to his potential as an offensive-minded defenseman (just like Vats didn't under RC). And of all the defensive prospects the Ducks have, Monty also brings back the greatest return IMO. He showed quite a bit of flash in the playoffs (even though he was so clearly disregarding what RC wanted him to do) and I'm sure it caught the attention of a number of GMs around the league who themselves don't have a stable full of young, offensively-skilled D-men like the Ducks do. Monty is also an RFA and is due a significant pay raise and he is arbitration eligible this summer, and his 9 goals last season puts him in a good position to demand more than the club probably wants to pay a 24-year-old defenseman with fewer than 150 games on his resume. So I'd be entertaining serious offers for him. Like a pick + Monty for Sam Reinhart, and Monty can then go play with Dahlin in Buffalo.

I'm all for acquiring a top-6 forward and I think that you're right in that Montour is our most likely trade bait currently for that. Manson and Lindholm aren't getting moved and Fowler has an 8-year extension kicking in this season. I'm not worried about Carlyle because I doubt that he is the coach beyond next season and won't be able to potentially tank Montour's offensive ability the way that he did to Vatanen's. Though, I think that the Ducks are likely to hold off on moving a defensemen until they see what Jacob Larsson does this year, and potentially Josh Mahura. Larsson is one of the key players to watch because he can open up better trade possibilities if he's as good as Murray thinks that he is. He needs to be because he's supposed to fill the gap left by giving up Theodore. As far as Reinhart goes, I'd like to have him and slot Henrique on the wing. Then, let Henrique walk in free agency while not giving up desperately needed center depth. Only issue could be the log jam at center with Steel coming up and Kesler being under contract until 2022.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I'm all for acquiring a top-6 forward and I think that you're right in that Montour is our most likely trade bait currently for that. Manson and Lindholm aren't getting moved and Fowler has an 8-year extension kicking in this season. I'm not worried about Carlyle because I doubt that he is the coach beyond next season and won't be able to potentially tank Montour's offensive ability the way that he did to Vatanen's. Though, I think that the Ducks are likely to hold off on moving a defensemen until they see what Jacob Larsson does this year, and potentially Josh Mahura. Larsson is one of the key players to watch because he can open up better trade possibilities if he's as good as Murray thinks that he is. He needs to be because he's supposed to fill the gap left by giving up Theodore. As far as Reinhart goes, I'd like to have him and slot Henrique on the wing. Then, let Henrique walk in free agency while not giving up desperately needed center depth. Only issue could be the log jam at center with Steel coming up and Kesler being under contract until 2022.

Here's hoping the Ducks get one or 2 players in this offseason via Trade,Free agency or Draft...Reinhart is another Player I like to see in a Ducks Uni.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

While we are on the topic of free agency, how come the ducks have zero Russian players on the team?  Those guys can flat out play.  #92 for Washington is very smooth and they all hit and have mad skills.  Do the ducks not like Russian players?  Do they not scout them?  What's up with that?

15 hours ago, hoxxey said:

While we are on the topic of free agency, how come the ducks have zero Russian players on the team?  Those guys can flat out play.  #92 for Washington is very smooth and they all hit and have mad skills.  Do the ducks not like Russian players?  Do they not scout them?  What's up with that?

As far as I can tell you Ducks never seem to have any luck with any Russian Players cept a few..one of them be it Goalies in Ilya Bryzgalov...All I know from my view is Ducks have not drafted a Russian in 17 years.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Kane re-signs in SJ for 7 years, 7m per. Buffalo now gets SJ 1st as well. That’s pretty expensive for a player that’s only had 2 50+ point seasons. He played well for them though so we’ll see. 

That kind of money probably solidifies the Ducks not swimming in that pond in free agency, not that they normally do. Maybe something happens at the draft.

14 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Washington has no problem with finding the players

Why can't the ducks?

This goes back to at least the Brian Burke years.  Drafting Russian players is a crapshoot because of the KHL and the money they used to throw at players.  Many want to come over and play in the NHL, while others prefer to use the KHL as a bargaining chip.  Given the cost involved in developing players, drafting an asset that may elect not to come over, or may leave if they don't like their playing situation is a risk this team (and others) don't want to take.  If it's a no-brainer pick like a Malkin or Ovechkin, the Ducks would select them.  But given the choice of a Canadian, US, Swede, Swiss, Finn or Russian of equal talent, the Ducks will usually pass on the Russian.

3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

This goes back to at least the Brian Burke years.  Drafting Russian players is a crapshoot because of the KHL and the money they used to throw at players.  Many want to come over and play in the NHL, while others prefer to use the KHL as a bargaining chip.  Given the cost involved in developing players, drafting an asset that may elect not to come over, or may leave if they don't like their playing situation is a risk this team (and others) don't want to take.  If it's a no-brainer pick like a Malkin or Ovechkin, the Ducks would select them.  But given the choice of a Canadian, US, Swede, Swiss, Finn or Russian of equal talent, the Ducks will usually pass on the Russian.

Also Russians don't seem to pan out for the Ducks years ago.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Most of our answer to fix this team is guys playing in CHL right now and some in SD. We got lots of people with speed ready to contribute to the Team next year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, oside2006 said:

Most of our answer to fix this team is guys playing in CHL right now and some in SD. We got lots of people with speed ready to contribute to the Team next year.

Sam Steel,Alex Dostie,Kevin Roy...Ducks have players that are ready to help with the Cause. I call it "Develope Within".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:51 PM, MooseDuck said:

I Do and the oppourtity presents itself to our Ducks....Carolina says everyone is avaible cept Aho....I am hoping for a player from Carolina Ducks could aquire....he is Teuvo Teravaien and draft pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Teuvo for Ritchie is a pipe dream there, Moose.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, perry_mvp said:

Randy Carlyle is not the future of Anaheim. He has one year left on his contract (and an option for a one year extension after that). He might not even last next season if Murray was really honest about putting him on a short leash. So my expectations for next season are not very high. Aging forward veterans, young defense and a knuckle dragging coach. And a GM that talks like a used car sales man.

Yep.  Nailed it on the head.  An aging forward core with overpaid veterans, a young defense that's log jammed, and a slug head coach.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Sam Steel,Alex Dostie,Kevin Roy...Ducks have players that are ready to help with the Cause. I call it "Develope Within".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Realistically speaking, I think Kevin Roy and Kalle Kossila have the best chances of getting into the starting lineup in the NHL.  I don't believe Steel, Jones, Dostie, Comtois, etc. are anywhere near ready for primetime.  At the very best case scenario, Steel and Jones need at least 1 year in the AHL to get their shoes broken in.  None of the players you have mentioned have set foot on a professional ice rink as of yet.  They need to be in the AHL first and asap.

• Like 2

Is there any reason we don't go after Carlson or Moore hard? I think either would fit into our D very well and make our pairings work to the best of their ability. We could sign them under the salary cap easily.

Lindholm/ Manson

Fowler/ Carlson or Moore

Prospect Winner of Pos Battle/ Montour

Extra Welinski or other 7th D man

45 minutes ago, Spartan9 said:

Is there any reason we don't go after Carlson or Moore hard? I think either would fit into our D very well and make our pairings work to the best of their ability. We could sign them under the salary cap easily.

Lindholm/ Manson

Fowler/ Carlson or Moore

Prospect Winner of Pos Battle/ Montour

Extra Welinski or other 7th D man

With the year Carlson is having, the big $$$$ is the problem. 

Improving Defense is never a bad move obviously, but in our case we Have Peterson, Larsson, and Welinski all pretty much waiting for a spot. Flip Monty at the draft or one of the others and it could make sense. (At least more to me).  

Edited by yeaitsme

Even if he goes for 8 Mil we could fit it though. I was messing around on Cap Friendly with the Cap being $79 Mil since it is projected to be 78-82. I also put Riley Nash on there at 2 Mil so we had a vet center even though I would prefer us let one of our young guys play in there. Only RFA that might be a lot more would be Montour I think.

And I agree, but until they are ready we need to have someone who can get the forwards the puck. Our D was really exposed in the playoffs. Montour would prob be a good piece to trade for help up front soon, but I think one of the biggest things we have lacked since Scotty retired was a top end D rather than the 3-4 B+ to A- defensemen we generally have.

Ducks201819.PNG

Edited by Spartan9

31 minutes ago, Spartan9 said:

Even if he goes for 8 Mil we could fit it though. I was messing around on Cap Friendly with the Cap being $79 Mil since it is projected to be 78-82. I also put Riley Nash on there at 2 Mil so we had a vet center even though I would prefer us let one of our young guys play in there. Only RFA that might be a lot more would be Montour I think.

And I agree, but until they are ready we need to have someone who can get the forwards the puck. Our D was really exposed in the playoffs. Montour would prob be a good piece to trade for help up front soon, but I think one of the biggest things we have lacked since Scotty retired was a top end D rather than the 3-4 B+ to A- defensemen we generally have.

Ducks201819.PNG

And this is a part of a bigger issue at hand at this point.  Personally, I'd rather not go for John Carlson knowing that this organization has a plethora of young serviceable d-men.  But if you look at the albatross of contracts at forwards, that is the issue with the team, salary-wise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

And this is a part of a bigger issue at hand at this point.  Personally, I'd rather not go for John Carlson knowing that this organization has a plethora of young serviceable d-men.  But if you look at the albatross of contracts at forwards, that is the issue with the team, salary-wise.

I agree. Plus, the Ducks are a budget team and don’t traditionally spend to the cap. I doubt they do that when Getzlaf Perry and Kesler are going to get almost $25 mil combined in actual salary next year. I wouldn’t touch Carlson with a ten foot pole. 

• Like 1

Personally I'm not really looking to add to our defense at all. Maybe you could sign a 7th guy but I would be giving the kids more ice time next season. I'd give Larsson every chance to make the team, then the 6th spot goes to Pettersen or Welinski or whoever. Fowler/Manson/Lindholm are our vets now.

I'm looking more at some of the mid-range forwards that are available, and in this UFA class there are a ton of them. Perron, Vanek, Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Grabner, Brodziak, Comeau. All guys around 30 so not too old, and all scored over 30 points.

Perron actually scored 66 so he might be looking for a payday, probably too pricey for us.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Realistically speaking, I think Kevin Roy and Kalle Kossila have the best chances of getting into the starting lineup in the NHL.  I don't believe Steel, Jones, Dostie, Comtois, etc. are anywhere near ready for primetime.  At the very best case scenario, Steel and Jones need at least 1 year in the AHL to get their shoes broken in.  None of the players you have mentioned have set foot on a professional ice rink as of yet.  They need to be in the AHL first and asap.

You got no arguement from me here...Ducks have loads of young talent in the System.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, Rooch20 said:

Teuvo for Ritchie is a pipe dream there, Moose.

Yep.  Nailed it on the head.  An aging forward core with overpaid veterans, a young defense that's log jammed, and a slug head coach.

It might be a pipe dream under normal circumstances but given Carolinas situation with a crazy owner who's basically yelling "fire sale", maybe Murray ought to fill up that pipe with the good stuff and see where it goes.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, nieder said:

Personally I'm not really looking to add to our defense at all. Maybe you could sign a 7th guy but I would be giving the kids more ice time next season. I'd give Larsson every chance to make the team, then the 6th spot goes to Pettersen or Welinski or whoever. Fowler/Manson/Lindholm are our vets now.

I'm looking more at some of the mid-range forwards that are available, and in this UFA class there are a ton of them. Perron, Vanek, Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Grabner, Brodziak, Comeau. All guys around 30 so not too old, and all scored over 30 points.

Perron actually scored 66 so he might be looking for a payday, probably too pricey for us.

And LV might sign him just to try to steal a pick in a trade.

It was interesting looking at the current cap hits - Kings are in first place, and LVK are near the bottom with $20M less in cap hit right now (haven't signed any UFAs yet?).

On 5/29/2018 at 1:09 AM, perry_mvp said:

It might be a pipe dream under normal circumstances but given Carolinas situation with a crazy owner who's basically yelling "fire sale", maybe Murray ought to fill up that pipe with the good stuff and see where it goes.

Thank you for Understanding My View....imho Ducks should take advantage of Carolinas......"Fire Sale"....Trades will be important as Free Agent signings....Speaking of it....I see RFAS will be priority 1 Don't be Surprise.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/28/2018 at 10:09 PM, perry_mvp said:

Sure!  If Murray was more proactive, this deal would be in the works at the very least.  I doubt Murray is that type of GM that, though.

6 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Thank you for Understanding My View....imho Ducks should take advantage of Carolinas......"Fire Sale"....Trades will be important as Free Agent signings....Speaking of it....I see RFAS will be priority 1 Don't be Surprise.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I see this as Murray's 1st on the to-do list this summer.  He's going to have to find a way to clear out some of the albatross contracts that the team has to give guys like Kase pay raises.

4 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

I see this as Murray's 1st on the to-do list this summer.  He's going to have to find a way to clear out some of the albatross contracts that the team has to give guys like Kase pay raises.

Most definitly Ducks Resigning their RFA'S is part of their M.O. As for the Albatross Contracts to clear up to give Kase a raise who knows what BM is thinking.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

I don't know about that..lol. Murray's to-do list usually involves signing a washed-up blue liner to an albatross contract then dumpster diving down the UFA list. And after finding a UFA, he crows about how it's the deal that takes Anaheim to the Cup.