The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
oside2006

2018 Free Agency

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Two issues that I’ve wondered about with the Ducks’ lack of Russians:

1. Is it possible that Russian players simply don’t want to play on the West coast? Outside of Bryz, Nabokov, and that wife beater in LA, I can’t really think of a consequential Russian player who played on the Left Coast in the last 15 years. I don’t know the reason for it, but I doubt it’s coincidence. So could it be that we don’t pursue them because we already know they don’t want to be here?

2. Is it also possible that the lack of Russian draft picks has to do with the Ducks being a team of limited resources? Russia is a damn big country, and has a lot of security and travel issues, and it may just be that our team has to be more judicious in how resources are allocated to scouting than the big budget Eastern teams have to be. On the other hand, we can scout all of Scandinavia in a week, so it makes sense for a budget team like ours to pour its finite resources into that region rather than a country that spans 13 time zones. IMO, it may not be entirely about the Russian players themselves, but more about the circumstances of scouting and our budget.

That could be. It just seems odd that the Ducks wouldn’t put little of any resources to scout in a country with considerable hockey talent. Maybe Murray just really likes North Americans....and Swedes. You’re right about the lack of Russians that have played in California in general though. That is weird.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That could be. It just seems odd that the Ducks wouldn’t put little of any resources to scout in a country with considerable hockey talent. Maybe Murray just really likes North Americans....and Swedes. You’re right about the lack of Russians that have played in California in general though. That is weird.

Well if you look at the History of the Ducks in NHL Draft...They have not drafted a Russian in first Round since 2001. Besides I have much prefer for the Ducks to Draft,Americans,Canadians along with Finns and some Swedes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I seem to remember some reporting that BM has issues with the main couple of agents that represent the Russian players.  I could be off base, but I remember something about that.... basically that he had been burned too many times with those agents, and so he basically refused to go more than a round of negotiations with them.  Which means we don't get Russian players.

This is complete speculation: I wonder if there's some connection with Russian government or mob influence.  Players could want to stay away because of a perceived increase in influence out here, or because they're being influenced to stay out of here.  I'm not sure where LA and SF stand on those points, relative to the midwest and the eastern seaboard.

1 hour ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Barry Trotz has become available as a free agent - ANYONE interested ???? BM ??

Surely you jest.  If Carlyle was going anywhere, he would be gone by now.  The draft is a few days away.

There's no way the Ducks would pay whatever Trotz is asking.  I don't even know what he's asking, I just know there's no way the Ducks would be in the same state let alone the same ballpark.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

3 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Surely you jest.  If Carlyle was going anywhere, he would be gone by now.  The draft is a few days away.

There's no way the Ducks would pay whatever Trotz is asking.  I don't even know what he's asking, I just know there's no way the Ducks would be in the same state let alone the same ballpark.

Besides Ducks have a Coach waiting in the Wings.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I forgot where I read that in Trotz's contract he had options for two more years at $1.8M per year. Babcock and Quinnville inflated the market when they got over $6M per year so Trotz was probably looking north of $3M and neither side could agree. I don't know Carlyle's salary but I can bet its nowhere near $3M.

16 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

YES I was. !!!! Couldn't find the SARCASM emoji  :P

5 hours ago, Pazonator said:

I believe the Sharks just traded Mike to Florida for some picks

Goes to show they do not want anything to do with the Toxic off season drama. Fastest trade I have seen this week.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

25 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Not a free agency move but....did somebody order a Top 6 LW?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-blue-jackets-testing-market-artemi-panarin/

They will want a High Price for Panarin. Will the Ducks pay? or will they demand their own price.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Honestly, I don’t see the solution to our problems being any big name FA’s. I do like Burokovsky though. I don’t think he’d be too expensive and I think he’d be a solid addition. I think the only big name I want to see is Pacioretty. I think we need to solve this problem internally for the most part. RC is a mistake and I pray he can adapt, but I’m not holding my breath. If we can get Silf and Perry back to form I don’t think things are as bleak as they seem. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Honestly, I don’t see the solution to our problems being any big name FA’s. I do like Burokovsky though. I don’t think he’d be too expensive and I think he’d be a solid addition. I think the only big name I want to see is Pacioretty. I think we need to solve this problem internally for the most part. RC is a mistake and I pray he can adapt, but I’m not holding my breath. If we can get Silf and Perry back to form I don’t think things are as bleak as they seem. 

I agree, plus the Ducks don’t go big in free agency anyway. They don’t have the money either even without factoring the RFA’s that they need to be re-signed: Kase, Ritchie, Montour this year and then Gibson next year. That also doesn’t include possibly extending Henrique which seems more likely now with the uncertainty surrounding Kesler’s health.

I like Pacioretty but wouldn’t trade for him. He’d be a one-year rental and the assets used to get him could be used to help rebuild our forward group longer term. It’s not like he’s be the missing piece to a team that’s going to seriously contend anyway. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree, plus the Ducks don’t go big in free agency anyway. They don’t have the money either even without factoring the RFA’s that they need to be re-signed: Kase, Ritchie, Montour this year and then Gibson next year. That also doesn’t include possibly extending Henrique which seems more likely now with the uncertainty surrounding Kesler’s health.

I like Pacioretty but wouldn’t trade for him. He’d be a one-year rental and the assets used to get him could be used to help rebuild our forward group longer term. It’s not like he’s be the missing piece to a team that’s going to seriously contend anyway. 

I agree to an extent, I don’t think Pacioretty instantly gets us a cup, but a money in the bank 30 goal guy with Henrique and Kase sounds exciting. I’m not sure on the price and the longer this goes on I think the less the price I doubt Bergevin pulls a Sakic. I’m not married to the idea of it doesn’t happen. I think the biggest move I wanted from murray was a new coach and now that that isn’t happening I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a very long unproductive off season and another similar stsrt to the season as last year 

10 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I agree to an extent, I don’t think Pacioretty instantly gets us a cup, but a money in the bank 30 goal guy with Henrique and Kase sounds exciting. I’m not sure on the price and the longer this goes on I think the less the price I doubt Bergevin pulls a Sakic. I’m not married to the idea of it doesn’t happen. I think the biggest move I wanted from murray was a new coach and now that that isn’t happening I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a very long unproductive off season and another similar stsrt to the season as last year 

It could be exciting to have him, but that excitement would be for one season. If he's not re-signing with Montreal, then he's probably getting traded before the season begins so that the Canadiens can get max value for him. My guess is that a first round pick and a quality prospect would probably be involved, which the Ducks can't afford to give up. He's got a great cap hit for a four-time 30 goal scorer.

Like you said, would you want Pacioretty with Carlyle behind the bench right now lol? 

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It could be exciting to have him, but that excitement would be for one season. If he's not re-signing with Montreal, then he's probably getting traded before the season begins so that the Canadiens can get max value for him. My guess is that a first round pick and a quality prospect would probably be involved, which the Ducks can't afford to give up. He's got a great cap hit for a four-time 30 goal scorer.

Like you said, would you want Pacioretty with Carlyle behind the bench right now lol? 

It would be very unpredictable.....it could turn either way. good or bad.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

@icemancometh Will get more into it but Bob Murray said he's started contract talks with John Gibson, Adam Henrique and Jakob Silfverberg. Their deals are up in 2019. Has also exchanged offers with agents for Brandon Montour, Nick Ritchie and Ondrej Kase, who are RFAs on July 1. #NHLDucks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

@icemancometh Will get more into it but Bob Murray said he's started contract talks with John Gibson, Adam Henrique and Jakob Silfverberg. Their deals are up in 2019. Has also exchanged offers with agents for Brandon Montour, Nick Ritchie and Ondrej Kase, who are RFAs on July 1. #NHLDucks

Not expecting much to come out of the contract talks, especially with both Henrique and Silfverberg. The Ducks can't afford to re-sign everyone though and I'm not sure why you'd keep the same roster intact after the house of cards came crashing down last season.

Folks bag on the Kings but getting IK is a big deal for them

I sure wish the ducks had a gm with the same attitude 

All duck fans can look forward to are older retreads that can’t hang

kings will be better and I don’t want to see that...

6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Not expecting much to come out of the contract talks, especially with both Henrique and Silfverberg. The Ducks can't afford to re-sign everyone though and I'm not sure why you'd keep the same roster intact after the house of cards came crashing down last season.

Exactly. Rico is probably looking for the first his opportunity to get out from this team especially after that train wreck. Silver has never been a consistent scorer so if we keep him he should be on the cheap. Don’t see why Silver wouldn’t want to be on team N America Sweden. 

10 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Folks bag on the Kings but getting IK is a big deal for them

I sure wish the ducks had a gm with the same attitude 

All duck fans can look forward to are older retreads that can’t hang

kings will be better and I don’t want to see that...

LOL...  IK is an older retread.   As was Gaborik when they signed him. Very bad deals.

4 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Exactly. Rico is probably looking for the first his opportunity to get out from this team especially after that train wreck. Silver has never been a consistent scorer so if we keep him he should be on the cheap. Don’t see why Silver wouldn’t want to be on team N America Sweden. 

Yeah, it's weird. Silfverberg is actually fairly paid right now but he's probably going to get an increase. Somewhere in the 4 -4.3 million range would be my guess, and we still can't afford that even if we don't sign Henrique. At least if we are content with not adding actual scoring. To me, signing Henrique only makes sense as a stop gap measure if Kesler's hip is truly that bad. Otherwise, it's just another expensive contract for an aging player.

Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm to Calgary.

Kovalchuk to the Kings.

Pacioretty to the Sharks.

3 Pacific teams just got stronger in one day.

41 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it's weird. Silfverberg is actually fairly paid right now but he's probably going to get an increase. Somewhere in the 4 -4.3 million range would be my guess, and we still can't afford that even if we don't sign Henrique. At least if we are content with not adding actual scoring. To me, signing Henrique only makes sense as a stop gap measure if Kesler's hip is truly that bad. Otherwise, it's just another expensive contract for an aging player.

I think Henrique is a good signing for us if he resigns because he’s got talent and buys us time for our prospects to cook. I think he’s important to us and resigning Silf and Henrique are important. 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

To be fair, it's not like he showed up against the Sharks.

Edited by DucksProg