ZTHER

2018 Western Conference Finals

86 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

Both Maurice and Gallant are great coaches.  Gallant has to win the Jack Adams.

@gorbachav5

Gallant has to win the Jack. Taking that team of cast aways and now looking like they might go to the Finals is absolutely incredible 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:01 PM, RobD360 said:

Gallant has to win the Jack. Taking that team of cast aways and now looking like they might go to the Finals is absolutely incredible 

I think VGK wins the Cup their 1st season.  Period.  Clearly, to me, no other team is playing better:  Caps look tired and kind of slow;  Tampa would be the better matchup for Vegas, but I don’t see Tampa beating VGK.  Not easily and I just don’t think they can stop Vegas.  Not unless something unexpected happens.   Weird season.

7 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Watching teams like Vegas & Nashville, does everyone really still believe the Ducks are in a Cup window?

Thing is I don’t really think Vegas has any special stand out players that other teams don’t. In fact they are beating other teams with more talent. To me it’s clear that they are really well coached. The strategies that Gallant deploys and emphasizes embraces the “new NHL” today with the relentless attack and speed. They hardly waste periods away by sitting back. This combined with having players playing with a chip on their shoulders and a goalie that sits on his head; they are going to keep rolling as far as they can take it. But next year they should fall back to earth a bit still being a good team but not as good as this season. 

5 people like this

Not gonna lie but IF VGK wins they will be 2nd expanison team and fastest to reach the Stanley Cup Final in only their FIRST YEAR. I never saw this coming did any of you expect Magnetos to reach that far.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Watching teams like Vegas & Nashville, does everyone really still believe the Ducks are in a Cup window?

Yes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Of course not.
Not with the current management regime in place.

1 person likes this

Man, it just looks like Winnipeg has given up...you'd think the score was 6-1 with how they came out in this 3rd.

EDIT: 6-1 JETS...they've come out with little to no urgency.

Edited by Jasoaks
1 person likes this

This series was a lose-lose for me. I just hope the East won’t let me down. Vegas absolutely cannot be allowed to win a Cup this year... would be such a joke.

1 person likes this

VGK just looked stronger as the series went on.  I’m not the Eastern Conference opponent can match up....

Well it's Offical Magnetos are 2018 NHL Western Conferenc Champions and Advance to the Stanley Cup Final in their FIRST YEAR!....Amazing simply Amazing.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Nice to see so many Vegas fans in the building. White everywhere!

1 minute ago, Fowl said:

VGK just looked stronger as the series went on.  I’m not the Eastern Conference opponent can match up....

I'd say Tampa can.

Just now, poum said:

Nice to see so many Vegas fans in the building. White everywhere!

Impossible to get a ticket in the playoffs..

Just now, Fowl said:

I still contend those Jets fans are the best in the NHL....

Oh come on, they wear away colors regularly! :D

Engelland touched and took the WC trophy, they are screwed! :D

Edited by DucksProg

Just now, DucksProg said:

Well, it was a nice run.
Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning on their Stanley Cup victory.
Ok, time to shift into draft mode.

30 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

Maybe in a normal season, but this isn’t a normal season.  Probably ensured their  win by that touch.

Go VGK.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.. Like on one hand, it would have been nice to see Winnipeg get rewarded for that massive favour they did on behalf of the entire sport in the second round. On the other hand, it's so annoying whenever teams anoint themselves as "Canada's Team" and I'll never get tired of seeing the clowns on Sportsnet lose their minds every time one of their teams gets eliminated by a team in the sunbelt. 

I'm completely indifferent to Las Vegas. The Knights (and the NHL) would never shut up about it if they win but it would be such an outrageous story, you can't really blame them. I guess I should be salty about the expansion rules that gave them such a strong roster out of the gate compared to every other expansion team ever that was full of 4th line grinders but hey, that's what you get for giving Kevin frigging Bieksa a full NMC.

1 person likes this

Sbisa.  Theodore.  Wild Bill.   Playing in the SCF.

And their team has lost just 3 games in the playoffs to this point.  Because they are playing really good.  

It should be fun to watch.

Crosby touched the Campbell and won a cup,that’s all just smoke in the air.

It is embarrassing (IMO). Great story sure. But embarrassing. What does is say about the league and its "stars" or "heroes" or competitiveness? Three of my clients are minority owners for the VGKs. Not a one of them had ever been to a NHL game in their lives (they all have worked for Foley for more than 2 decades and he offered up to them (as he does in most of his side deals (unrelated to Fidelity National Title)) opportunities to his key people (his "soliders") to invest when he invests. Foley is a West Point grad and treats most of his business activities with relentless pursuit - winning is more important than how you win. Point is Foley in effect inferred (to them) that the NHL was run by a bunch of "old school guys who have been doing the same thing the same way for decades. We are going to do it differently from top to bottom. This will be easy". Now my clients think they are NHL know it all's and that they are showing a old school, head in the sand league how it should be done. And maybe they are right but it is maddening. Falling back to earth next year (as someone said)........dont count on it.

I sat in South Coast Plaza at the Antonellos Cafe with one of them and their spouse last May. I was headed to a Ducks playoff game that night. I was jazzed. They were "well maybe next year we might be there 'but we have to go see our first hockey game first. Can't say I know anything about the sport'. Crazy.

But I can see where the NHL is very old school. They sell  superstars, etc. and how it is important to lock down $7MM $8MM a year players. When conversely they say out of the other side of their mouth "this is the ultimate team sport. Your best players are only on the ice 1/3rd of the game"..........Vegas has proven playing hard for a full 60 minutes can change the outcome of so many games.

Not a Ducks fans can say they saw 25 games last year where the Ducks were balls to the wall for 60 minutes. I would bet any knowledgeable VGK fan would tell you that they cannot remember 10 games where their team was not fully committed for a full 60 minutes. They are playing just like they played all year and YES their defense is smothering simply because of exceptional effort. Imagine Corey Perry trying to keep up. Forget it.

They play like Foley does business.........full throttle or get out of the way. Action beats inaction every time.

4 people like this

So much for suffering through adversity in order to win and be a good team.

I just don't see Vegas losing.  Call it luck, chi, charm or divine interference - they are going to win the Stanley Cup.

And no, I do not see the ducks being even close to these other teams like the jets, tampa and even, nashville.

It's painful watching the vegas team play - they don't let the other team have any time to do anything and they bust their butts all game.

They have not had any long losing streaks or bad "puck luck" - I wonder why that is?  

I'd like Tampa to win - they seem to play the right way.

But I don't like anyone's chances for this season.

2 hours ago, sclives said:

It is embarrassing (IMO). Great story sure. But embarrassing. What does is say about the league and its "stars" or "heroes" or competitiveness? Three of my clients are minority owners for the VGKs. Not a one of them had ever been to a NHL game in their lives (they all have worked for Foley for more than 2 decades and he offered up to them (as he does in most of his side deals (unrelated to Fidelity National Title)) opportunities to his key people (his "soliders") to invest when he invests. Foley is a West Point grad and treats most of his business activities with relentless pursuit - winning is more important than how you win. Point is Foley in effect inferred (to them) that the NHL was run by a bunch of "old school guys who have been doing the same thing the same way for decades. We are going to do it differently from top to bottom. This will be easy". Now my clients think they are NHL know it all's and that they are showing a old school, head in the sand league how it should be done. And maybe they are right but it is maddening. Falling back to earth next year (as someone said)........dont count on it.

I sat in South Coast Plaza at the Antonellos Cafe with one of them and their spouse last May. I was headed to a Ducks playoff game that night. I was jazzed. They were "well maybe next year we might be there 'but we have to go see our first hockey game first. Can't say I know anything about the sport'. Crazy.

But I can see where the NHL is very old school. They sell  superstars, etc. and how it is important to lock down $7MM $8MM a year players. When conversely they say out of the other side of their mouth "this is the ultimate team sport. Your best players are only on the ice 1/3rd of the game"..........Vegas has proven playing hard for a full 60 minutes can change the outcome of so many games.

Not a Ducks fans can say they saw 25 games last year where the Ducks were balls to the wall for 60 minutes. I would bet any knowledgeable VGK fan would tell you that they cannot remember 10 games where their team was not fully committed for a full 60 minutes. They are playing just like they played all year and YES their defense is smothering simply because of exceptional effort. Imagine Corey Perry trying to keep up. Forget it.

They play like Foley does business.........full throttle or get out of the way. Action beats inaction every time.

Good post.  Good insight.  VGK has four second lines and had a plan.  Smart organization that had a plan.

1 person likes this

Every player on the Golden Knights plays like Cogs. They play at warp speed and give 100% effort every shift for the full 60 minutes. I doubt you ever hear "we need to play a full 60 minutes" or "we weren't into it" from this team. I don't get how one can't root for a team that busts their balls the entire game. I for one hope they do host the Cup. Good for them!!!

12 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this.. Like on one hand, it would have been nice to see Winnipeg get rewarded for that massive favour they did on behalf of the entire sport in the second round. On the other hand, it's so annoying whenever teams anoint themselves as "Canada's Team" and I'll never get tired of seeing the clowns on Sportsnet lose their minds every time one of their teams gets eliminated by a team in the sunbelt. 

I'm completely indifferent to Las Vegas. The Knights (and the NHL) would never shut up about it if they win but it would be such an outrageous story, you can't really blame them. I guess I should be salty about the expansion rules that gave them such a strong roster out of the gate compared to every other expansion team ever that was full of 4th line grinders but hey, that's what you get for giving Kevin frigging Bieksa a full NMC.

If you are looking for failed player management, don't blame this one on the Ducks.

You should look at the Wild, Blues, Penguins, to some extent the Jackets, and most of all the Panthers for handing Vegas insane value for their money.

Heck, to quote DuckFan4Life/Chris Johnston tweet from another thread, Vegas WERE PAID handsomely to take great value:
"Reminder: The #VGK were given a 2nd-round pick to take Marc-Andre Fleury, Jonathan Marchessault to take Reilly Smith, Alex Tuch to take Erik Haula, Shea Theodore to take Clayton Stoner and a 1st and 2nd to take William Karlsson and David Clarkson’s contract."

Of one of the 2 biggest culprits, Chuck Fletcher of the Wild has already been fired. I'd also give the boot to Dale Tallon, so much so, he lands in the middle of the Atlantic for making that deal above as that was clear to be a huge mistake even before pulling the trigger (Marchesseault was their top goalscorer in 2017 FFS).

On the other hand. I can't force myself to root for Vegas. They were given a much better hand than any other team in history and that is simply flat out unfair, no matter how hard you look at it (even though I admit, their roster still does not look champinship caliber on paper, so kudos to them for getting there, Mr Gallant). 

A team should not win with loopholes, but years of drafting and building.

Go Tampa all the way!

Edited by DucksProg
3 people like this