ZTHER

2018 Eastern Conference Finals

44 posts in this topic

I was very vocal about rooting against Washington in the last round because of my dislike for Wilson, Trotz & co, but mainly cause I was afraid Winnipeg would blow it and Pittsburgh would've had a better chance of beating the mustard cats again in the SCF if it came to that. Now that they're gone (embarrassed in their own barn again!) I don't even care who wins anymore. It will be nice to be able to watch the final 4 without some overwhelmingly bitter taste in my mouth where seeing a team succeed makes me miserable. These are 3 and a half real fun teams too (Caps gain a half when Wilson is suspended). Of course I'd rather just be grinding my teeth into dust watching the Ducks at this time of the year instead, but this is going to be a great change of pace without a Trashville/LA/Detroit/etc. in the conference finals. 

I still think Tampa will wipe the floor with Washington though. They just tore through the best defensive team in hockey in the Bruins. I don't see these Capitals putting up much of a fight, especially if Backstrom can't go. You also kinda get the feeling that beating the Penguins and making it this far was basically their Stanley Cup. 

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I was very vocal about rooting against Washington in the last round because of my dislike for Wilson, Trotz & co, but mainly cause I was afraid Winnipeg would blow it and Pittsburgh would've had a better chance of beating the mustard cats again in the SCF if it came to that. Now that they're gone (embarrassed in their own barn again!) I don't even care who wins anymore. It will be nice to be able to watch the final 4 without some overwhelmingly bitter taste in my mouth where seeing a team succeed makes me miserable. These are 3 and a half real fun teams too (Caps gain a half when Wilson is suspended). Of course I'd rather just be grinding my teeth into dust watching the Ducks at this time of the year instead, but this is going to be a great change of pace without a Trashville/LA/Detroit/etc. in the conference finals. 

I still think Tampa will wipe the floor with Washington though. They just tore through the best defensive team in hockey in the Bruins. I don't see these Capitals putting up much of a fight, especially if Backstrom can't go. You also kinda get the feeling that beating the Penguins and making it this far was basically their Stanley Cup. 

Add Chicago and Pittsburgh. Really is a welcome change. 

Hoping for a Vegas-TB Finals. It'll be entertaining watching the off season as every team scrambles to mimic the speed formula.

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

So much this. I love me a good Cinderella story so I'll be glad for Vegas if they make it. The Jets eliminated the preds so they (every team that beats the preds) get a pass. Should they make it great for them. Tampa is a great team. Stevie Y did a marvelous job over there. Out of the 4 teams remaining I'd say they're my favorite team. The Caps I like the least but I don't have a problem with them (apart from Wilson).

Tampa in 5 or 6. They are deeper and overall more talented than the Pens, Caps took another step, but that stops here.

Well for once the two teams in the East I was rooting for have made it to the conference final. So I'll be happy with either one going to the SCF. I know many have a grudge against the Caps because of Wilson but I really would like to the see  Ovetchkin get to the finals.

As others have said, for once we have a final four that does not include the Pens, Hawks, Kings, Wings.  In fact this will be only the second SCF that does not feature one of those teams since the Ducks won in 2007. Only other time was  2011  when the Canucks choked against Boston.

Edited by Shadowduck

I'm definitely rooting for the Lightning, but I wouldn't be upset to see Ovechkin get a Cup.  He deserves one.

Yeah, this is the first non-Duck conference finals where I feel like...it's just a win-win. Go Bolts! Go Caps! Go hockey! But I'm rooting for the Caps ultimately. I want to see Ovi get a cup...and also who knows when the Caps will get this far again! Bolts, Jets, Knights...they've got some good competitive hockey in them for the next few years to get back there...but the Caps. Less guaranteed...

I want Washington to win because I like Ovi - I would like to see him win a Cup. But my head says Lightning here. I feel like Washington maybe used up everything against Pittsburgh.

I am surprised that Tampa is struggling so much versus the Caps. I thought this series was going to be closer. but they quoted a stat that since 1974 the team that has gone up 2-0 in the third round has won 39 out of 41 times. Something on the Bolts is clearly broken. Too bad. I  like both teams so I'll be happy with which ever team moves on. Just hoping for something more competitive. 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, nieder said:

I want Washington to win because I like Ovi - I would like to see him win a Cup. But my head says Lightning here. I feel like Washington maybe used up everything against Pittsburgh.

Shows how much you know, idiot.

3 people like this

My playoff prediction had Caps winning the East and going to the finals against the Ducks but really I was thinking it was going to be the Preds in the final and ultimately winning it but I had to go all rose colored mode and pick the Ducks. I got the Preds wrong though which is good cause they are annoying and divers. I would like Ovi to get his cup. Caps all the way. 

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Shows how much you know, idiot.

Washington has been making me sound like Tom Wilson elbowed my brain into goo since before the playoffs began. I think I picked Columbus in 6, Pittsburgh in 5, and Tampa in 4 (sarcastically even picked them in 3 after they annoyed me during that Pittsburgh series). I also figured LA would've destroyed Vegas and didn't give them much of a chance against San Jose so watch those two meet in the finals just to make me sound like James Neal came in after Wilson to knee me in the head. 

2 people like this

Tampa better get their act together...Being down 2-0 is a BIG Disadvantage.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Tampa better get their act together...Being down 2-0 is a BIG Disadvantage.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Being down 2-0 is a BIG Disadvantage.  Being down 2-0 when you start at home is a complete DISASTER.  It's a position the Ducks have been in before, and 9 times out of 10, if not more, it's a losing proposition.

Capitals can win this series with a Game 3 victory at home.

Just now, HockeyIzCool said:

Being down 2-0 is a BIG Disadvantage.  Being down 2-0 when you start at home is a complete DISASTER.  It's a position the Ducks have been in before, and 9 times out of 10, if not more, it's a losing proposition.

i disagree.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Only two teams have come back from 2-0 in the CF.  Something like mid-90s and '84 Islanders.  They talked about them last night.

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Only two teams have come back from 2-0 in the CF.  Something like mid-90s and '84 Islanders.  They talked about them last night.

I'm assuming you mean teams that lost Games 1 & 2 at Home.  I'm sure there have been more teams that came back after losing the first 2 on the road.

13 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Maybe a sweep is ahead?

Wow almost every hockey pundit (and Duck message board folks included) would have their heads explode. Upset? 

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'm assuming you mean teams that lost Games 1 & 2 at Home.  I'm sure there have been more teams that came back after losing the first 2 on the road.

Found confirmation.  Only two for Conference Finals.

1984 and 1991.  All others have been in other rounds.  Actually 4 times in the Finals (once in the modern era... 2009).  

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31154

I think Tampa is done.

It killed me to hear the announcers say how great 43 was playing...

He should be out of the league or at least until the dude's jaw heals

To me that is just punishment for a flagrant offense like that...

Tampa's "Moment of Truth" comes tonight. They lose game 3 and they might as well start reserving Tee times.  Some great golf courses in Florida. When I was 18 I got to play Sawgrass with my grandfather and father.  I parred the 17th hole, (from the Men's tees). Course was a monster. 

I wish life was more like the NHL video games so we could just trade Kesler, Ritchie and a draft pick for Hedman. I know we need forwards but he'd probably be our leading scorer anyway. 

Wow!  Washington gave them life.  I suppose with the bad luck the Capitals have had the last decade, they could let the Lightning right back into the series by losing Game 4.

If Tampa can win Games 4 & 5, they might just take the series.  But Game 4 is pretty much still a must win for them.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Wash's special teams were horrible last night.

Tell me about it was SAD.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck