nieder

2018 Stanley Cup Final

244 posts in this topic

Finals thread is here!!!

Washington vs Vegas......wtf.

Did anyone pick this in their bracket?

I would love to see Ovi win a Cup so I'll be pulling for the Caps.

3 people like this

Get Backstrom a Cup already!!! Let's go Caps!

I had the Ducks meeting Washington in my bracket, so I got it half right.

Edited by Drake12

Quite honestly, probably the two hardest working teams have made it to the finals, so there's something to notice.

The Knights just would not be outworked while the Caps just wouldn't go away, no matter what (and now they have Backstrom and Burakovskiy back).

It's hard to predict against Vegas at this point, but maybe these Caps are here to stick like flies to the crap on your boots.
I'm pulling for Washington for fairness' sake, Vegas shouldn't go down as a questionable fairytale in history, but a warning shot to the league that almost blew up the system.

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Finals thread is here!!!

Washington vs Vegas......wtf.

Did anyone pick this in their bracket?

I would love to see Ovi win a Cup so I'll be pulling for the Caps.

I picked the Caps in the final in my predictions lineup. Though it’s laughable on my other picks. Hope Ovi gets his turn at having a cup 

Ehh, I'll lean towards Vegas. Anything at that annoys the Kings is a-OK in my book. 

Though I won't be upset if Washington wins either. 

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm glad that Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Buttsville can't win. Nice to have some new blood.

1 person likes this

You know what's akward, it's been four years since GMGM was sacked in Washington. 

You got his current team and he still has stink all over the Capitals too. 

1 person likes this

I will be in Vegas next Tuesday thru Sunday for WSOP.  Just looked for tickets for Game 2 Wed night at they start at $850.  It's going to be fun being there during the Finals.

14 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I will be in Vegas next Tuesday thru Sunday for WSOP.  Just looked for tickets for Game 2 Wed night at they start at $850.  It's going to be fun being there during the Finals.

Sounds like a great time.
Poker legend, Daniel Negreanu is a long suffering, lifelong Las Vegas Knights fan.

On 5/25/2018 at 0:13 AM, poum said:

Ehh, I'll lean towards Vegas. Anything at that annoys the Kings is a-OK in my book. 

Though I won't be upset if Washington wins either. 

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm glad that Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Buttsville can't win. Nice to have some new blood.

I't great that we are guaranteed a first time Cup winning team this time. If Vegas wins it will be historic, but as Ducksprog said it will illustrate how badly the league messed up with the Vegas expansion draft Like many other's here I'm hoping Ovetchkin wins a cup. I think he's had to live in the shadow of Cindy Crosby for too long while playing for subpar teams.  It would be disappointing if Ovi's falls short now.

It reminds me of the contest between Barry Sanders and Emit Smith in the NFL back in the 90's. Barry Sanders was setting all kinds of rushing records while playing for the worst team in the NFL and at the same time Emit Smith was garnering all sorts of accolades as the lead rusher for a Dynasty Cowboys team.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, DucksProg said:

Quite honestly, probably the two hardest working teams have made it to the finals, so there's something to notice.

The Knights just would not be outworked while the Caps just wouldn't go away, no matter what (and now they have Backstrom and Burakovskiy back).

It's hard to predict against Vegas at this point, but maybe these Caps are here to stick like flies to the crap on your boots.
I'm pulling for Washington for fairness' sake, Vegas shouldn't go down as a questionable fairytale in history, but a warning shot to the league that almost blew up the system.

Yeah cuz we all predicted that Luca Sbisa and Ryan Eaves would combine for the Knight's biggest goal of the year and be a major part of a potential Stanley Cup winner. Two guys who their former teams would have paid you take off their hands prior to the current season.
And we all of course knew that Marc Andre Fleury, who lost his job not once, but twice to Matt Murray in Pittsburgh, was going to be the odds on favorite to win the Conn Smythe trophy this year. You know, the same Marc Andre Fleury who was being blamed for playoff losses in previous seasons prior to the arrival of Matt Murray.

Right team, right time, right coach and a perfect storm set up what is a historic playoff run that will never be seen again. NOT the league screwing up.

Do any of you really believe that the Vegas roster, prior to the start of the season was the best roster in the league on paper? Of course not. Far from it. Miles apart. Worlds apart. Galaxies apart. Universes apart!!!

Ask yourselves this question.....do any of you feel that Randy Carlyle would have this same Vegas roster in the SCF?
Not just no but an emphatic HELL NO!

Edited by wataduk

1 hour ago, wataduk said:

Yeah cuz we all predicted that Luca Sbisa and Ryan Eaves would combine for the Knight's biggest goal of the year and be a major part of a potential Stanley Cup winner. Two guys who their former teams would have paid you take off their hands prior to the current season.
And we all of course knew that Marc Andre Fleury, who lost his job not once, but twice to Matt Murray in Pittsburgh, was going to be the odds on favorite to win the Conn Smythe trophy this year. You know, the same Marc Andre Fleury who was being blamed for playoff losses in previous seasons prior to the arrival of Matt Murray.

Right team, right time, right coach and a perfect storm set up what is a historic playoff run that will never be seen again. NOT the league screwing up.

Do any of you really believe that the Vegas roster, prior to the start of the season was the best roster in the league on paper? Of course not. Far from it. Miles apart. Worlds apart. Galaxies apart. Universes apart!!!

Ask yourselves this question.....do any of you feel that Randy Carlyle would have this same Vegas roster in the SCF?
Not just no but an emphatic HELL NO!

Not regarding any of your arguments, FACT is, they were provided much much better circumstances to assemble their team, than any expansion franchise in history, and than any expansion franchise deserves. Simply because you don't deserve ANYTHING as an expansion team. Start with scratch and claw your way up.
Vegas should have even this kind of roster 3-4-5 years from now and because of that I can't take anything they achieve without a pinch of salt. The leverage and power they were provided as NHL nobodies is inexplicable and a league wide management screw up. Sure they are overachieving, but still, they shouldn't be able to do this with the roster an expansion team is supposed to have.

The unfair circumstances are the responsibility of the league, who clearly screwed up and all of it was made worse by some GMs being pure idiots/talent eveluators. But then again, there shouldn't have been any expansion rules allowing any GMs to make any of those mistakes. Vegas was simply able to buy out 3-5 years of obligatory suckage, as they have 4 second lines where there should be 4 fourth lines, no mas.

Some of your arguments are simply hyperboles, it was not 1 goal or Sbisa or Reaves or Fleury alone, who made that team, and it's not like Fleury was ever a crap goalie. All those guys have gigantic chips on their shoulder.

You are also reflecting your hatred for Carlyle into the topic, and while I agree Gallant has done an incredible job, I can only repeat myself, the material he was allowed to work with should have been far worse to begin with.

3 people like this

I will point out that as far as I know and I admit being to lazy to verify this but I don't believe any other expansion team came into the league alone as Vegas did. There was always at least one other team drafting. Vegas effectively got twice as many serviceable players and draft picks from teams trying to keep unprotected  players as any other expansion team in history.

2 hours ago, wataduk said:

I don't know, I thought Fleury was going to be pretty great for them. He had some rough playoff series in the past but so have guys like Jonathan Quick...for some reason Fleury was always a scapegoat. He's a great goaltender.

Edited by nieder

1 hour ago, DucksProg said:

Not regarding any of your arguments, FACT is, they were provided much much better circumstances to assemble their team, than any expansion franchise in history, and than any expansion franchise deserves. Simply because you don't deserve ANYTHING as an expansion team. Start with scratch and claw your way up.
Vegas should have even this kind of roster 3-4-5 years from now and because of that I can't take anything they achieve without a pinch of salt. The leverage and power they were provided as NHL nobodies is inexplicable and a league wide management screw up. Sure they are overachieving, but still, they shouldn't be able to do this with the roster an expansion team is supposed to have.

The unfair circumstances are the responsibility of the league, who clearly screwed up and all of it was made worse by some GMs being pure idiots/talent eveluators. But then again, there shouldn't have been any expansion rules allowing any GMs to make any of those mistakes. Vegas was simply able to buy out 3-5 years of obligatory suckage, as they have 4 second lines where there should be 4 fourth lines, no mas.

Some of your arguments are simply hyperboles, it was not 1 goal or Sbisa or Reaves or Fleury alone, who made that team, and it's not like Fleury was ever a crap goalie. All those guys have gigantic chips on their shoulder.

You are also reflecting your hatred for Carlyle into the topic, and while I agree Gallant has done an incredible job, I can only repeat myself, the material he was allowed to work with should have been far worse to begin with.

Teams were given a chance to dump unwanted contracts or have Vegas target specific players IF they made a deal to do so. How is that ONLY beneficial to Vegas? The only big time players that Vegas drafted were Fluery (who Pittsburg didn't want), Neal and to a lesser extent Perron. Who else was a star? Vegas overachieved this season by leaps and bounds. McPhee wasn't even expecting this. No one was expecting this. Not even the VGK players were expecting this. The whole "it's unfair" argument is getting kind of old now. 

2 people like this

Magnetos vs DC........hmmmmm to be honest I will cheer for niether team I will be watching with interest.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Teams were given a chance to dump unwanted contracts or have Vegas target specific players IF they made a deal to do so. How is that ONLY beneficial to Vegas? The only big time players that Vegas drafted were Fluery (who Pittsburg didn't want), Neal and to a lesser extent Perron. Who else was a star? Vegas overachieved this season by leaps and bounds. McPhee wasn't even expecting this. No one was expecting this. Not even the VGK players were expecting this. The whole "it's unfair" argument is getting kind of old now. 

Don't waste your time....some people are going to be bitter no matter what.
I have yet to find one person who can answer the question in the affirmative as to if they truly believed this Vegas roster was going to compete for a Stanley Cup this year, next year or even the year after that. If you say you did.....that's complete bullDehydrated Donkey Dung

Edited by wataduk

Hahahaha they got Michael Buffer doing the introductions

This year just keeps getting more ridiculous 

2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

The issue was the number of players teams were permitted to protect.  If the teams were allowed to retain two or three more players ( as was the custom for prior expansions), not only would you not see half of the current Knights, you would not have had most of the trades.  Do you honestly think the Ducks would not have protected both Theodore and Manson?  Welcome to the Golden Knights Korbinean Holzer. 

3 people like this

On 5/27/2018 at 0:47 PM, wataduk said:

Sounds like a great time.
Poker legend, Daniel Negreanu is a long suffering, lifelong Las Vegas Knights fan.

Vegas fans have endured a LOT over the years especially those who have been there from the start. They have waited a long time to get to this point. Lots of heartbreak along the way and times when they were so close but could never quite get there. They have learned from their many mistakes and are here now. It’s a good lesson to us all that good things come to those who wait and put in their time. 

F that!!!!

GO CAPS!!!!!

3 people like this

4 hours ago, DucksProg said:

Are you kidding me?
On whose team is Reaves is a 2nd liner? How about Carrier? How about Nosek? Bellmare wouldn't be on the 2nd line of any team I'm aware of. Same with Carpenter.
Remind me...what line was Karlsson on in Columbus?
How about that defense? McNabb....pulease. Would you want Sbisa on the Ducks? Derek Engelland is like a million years old. Their best d man is a guy who the Duck fans were all to happy to give up on after last season and especially since it meant the dispersal of Stoner's contract and the Knights not taking Vatanen.

My reference to Carlyle has nothing to do with my like or dislike for him as a coach but more to do with an honest question. DO YOU THINK RC COULD COACH THIS VEGAS ROSTER TO A SCF APPEARANCE? My point? Give Gerard Gallant an ounce of credit for pulling off an amazing season with a less than amazing roster!

4 people like this

22 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Don't waste your time....some people are going to be bitter no matter what.
I have yet to find one person who can answer the question in the affirmative as to if they truly believed this Vegas roster was going to compete for a Stanley Cup this year, next year or even the year after that. If you say you did.....that's complete bullDehydrated Donkey Dung

I think that misses the point (at least the point of my bitterness). I was railing against the expansion draft months before Vegas made a move; I was never upset with it because I feared Vegas would win year 1. The fact that Vegas actually ended up being successful just magnified the annoyance. 

4 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Are you kidding me?
On whose team is Reaves is a 2nd liner? How about Carrier? How about Nosek? Bellmare wouldn't be on the 2nd line of any team I'm aware of. Same with Carpenter.
Remind me...what line was Karlsson on in Columbus?
How about that defense? McNabb....pulease. Would you want Sbisa on the Ducks? Derek Engelland is like a million years old. Their best d man is a guy who the Duck fans were all to happy to give up on after last season and especially since it meant the dispersal of Stoner's contract and the Knights not taking Vatanen.

My reference to Carlyle has nothing to do with my like or dislike for him as a coach but more to do with an honest question. DO YOU THINK RC COULD COACH THIS VEGAS ROSTER TO A SCF APPEARANCE? My point? Give Gerard Gallant an ounce of credit for pulling off an amazing season with a less than amazing roster!

Totally agree. People gonna be bitter no matter what. 

1 minute ago, Spencer_12 said:

I think that misses the point (at least the point of my bitterness). I was railing against the expansion draft months before Vegas made a move; I was never upset with it because I feared Vegas would win year 1. The fact that Vegas actually ended up being successful just magnified the annoyance. 

Lol ok fair enough.

3 hours ago, nieder said:

I don't know, I thought Fleury was going to be pretty great for them. He had some rough playoff series in the past but so have guys like Jonathan Quick...for some reason Fleury was always a scapegoat. He's a great goaltender.

I don't like to blame a goalie whenever a team fails but in MAF's case, it's a legitimate criticism to hang those early 2010 years on him. He's been a terrible playoff goalie more often than not in his career and that was especially true during that 2009-2016 stretch. Every goalie has bad showings in the playoffs but his were just too common for a team with such high expectations. Beyond that, it wasn't only that he was allowing goals in bunches, it was when and how he was letting them in that was so deflating. It's probably easier to pinpoint a playoff series for Fleury where he wasn't an absolute mess for Pittsburgh because they were so rare. The team simply had no confidence in him and it's hard to blame them. 

On the bright side, it's hard to believe this is the same guy that allowed 43 goals through only 9 playoff games from 2012-2013. Amazing turnaround for him. 

1 person likes this

Hell yeah Caps make it 2-1 within seconds. Backstrom scored the 2nd, and he was out with a hand injury for awhile. That will be big for the Caps if he’s near his nornal self. We need all the help we can in abolishing the NHL’s sin. 

1 person likes this