nieder

2018 Stanley Cup Final

244 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2018 at 1:44 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I hate them as well, but mostly because they remind me every time they win what a smart team can do with a cohesive team-building strategy and a coach who knows what he's doing.  They anger me because they're fun to watch, and there's no reason the Ducks can't also be fun to watch with a coach who doesn't suck the life out of hockey games.

Yes, there is a huge reason.

They (nor any other team) have the ability to build an entire cohesive team at the same time.  The rest have to do it a few pieces per year, hoping the pieces they obtained 7 years ago still work as expected when they're picking today's pieces.  And today's pieces come from college, Europe, or Canadian Junior leagues for the most part.

Vegas got to pick an entire team at one time, mostly based on scouting play at an NHL level, many with a long history.  At worst, the Intel they had was AHL with a small amount of NHL play.

If the Ducks had a free shot at resetting the roster like that, I would be willing to bet we'd be unstoppable.

16 hours ago, Fowl said:

Not sure I like that penalty call.  DSP looked to be outside the crease.  No goal, no penalty is probably the better call.  Officials used the replay to call the penalty.

I think they used it to confirm the penalty.

If Fleury sticks his neck out to draw the call, I'm with you.  But he was within the crease, which includes a reasonable halo of dangling parts.  His head was reasonably dangling  (not reaching) and, most importantly, DSP had a wide berth to avoid contact.  He wasn't going through a tight pinch or being checked.  Wide open truck job.

18 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I get that this lineup has taken them farther than they've ever gone but still, why is Wilson even on a line with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin? Dude bobbles clean passes almost as bad as Nick Ritchie whenever he doesn't get in his pregame bucket of Popeyes.

Just another big body that can create some space for those two with his often “questionable” physical play. Whatever it is, it seems to be working. 

9 hours ago, gotchabari said:

They (nor any other team) have the ability to build an entire cohesive team at the same time.  The rest have to do it a few pieces per year, hoping the pieces they obtained 7 years ago still work as expected when they're picking today's pieces.  And today's pieces come from college, Europe, or Canadian Junior leagues for the most part.

Vegas got to pick an entire team at one time, mostly based on scouting play at an NHL level, many with a long history.  At worst, the Intel they had was AHL with a small amount of NHL play.

If the Ducks had a free shot at resetting the roster like that, I would be willing to bet we'd be unstoppable.

Then have them coached by RC! It’s like having Captain Schettino at the helm of the dream ship LOL

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Every other team has had entry draft's, trades, player development and so on for years. Vegas had to do it in a short period of time. I don't think anyone could have predicted how fast they would have become a cohesive team but they obviously did with a message that resonated with them. The Ducks have an opportunity every off season to do some resetting and improve. That's up to the GM though.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Every other team has had entry draft's, trades, player development and so on for years. Vegas had was allowed to do it in a short period of time and didn't have to bother with the entry draft. I don't think anyone could have predicted how fast they would have become a cohesive team but they obviously did with a message that resonated with them. The Ducks have an opportunity every off season to do some resetting and improve. That's up to the GM though.

Fixed it for you.

The Ducks can change a handful of players every year, mostly through the entry draft of players untested at the NHL level (or even the ECHL level for the most part).  They cannot put a full team together of fully visible and tested NHL and AHL players.  That comparison is ludicrous.

15 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Fixed it for you.

The Ducks can change a handful of players every year, mostly through the entry draft of players untested at the NHL level (or even the ECHL level for the most part).  They cannot put a full team together of fully visible and tested NHL and AHL players.  That comparison is ludicrous.

They were allowed to do it in a short period of time? Well....they are an expansion team so of course they were allowed to put a team together and they had less than a month to do it. They didn't have to bother with the entry draft? Mc Phee was trying to stockpile as many draft picks as he could, you know, for the future. 

Anaheim already had a full team when Vegas came into the league a long with 29 other teams and a deeper minor league system thus the advantage of time.

9 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

They were allowed to do it in a short period of time? Well....they are an expansion team so of course they were allowed to put a team together and they had less than a month to do it. They didn't have to bother with the entry draft? Mc Phee was trying to stockpile as many draft picks as he could, you know, for the future. 

Anaheim already had a full team when Vegas came into the league a long with 29 other teams and a deeper minor league system thus the advantage of time.

ha ha ha ha ha.  you don't seriously believe that, do you?  Vegas was working deals at least 6 months before teams submitted their protection lists.

31 minutes ago, Fisix said:

ha ha ha ha ha.  you don't seriously believe that, do you?  Vegas was working deals at least 6 months before teams submitted their protection lists.

Well, when the rules came out then yeah but the protection lists came out in June last year, right but so what? My point in all of this is that no one could have predicted their success this season. They didn't get the best players from each team. They were not an all-star team. They overachieved this season. I honestly don't think the league needed expansion and I didn't like the rules myself. Teams made deals to take bad contracts or to target a different player.

28 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Well, when the rules came out then yeah but the protection lists came out in June last year, right but so what? My point in all of this is that no one could have predicted their success this season. They didn't get the best players from each team. They were not an all-star team. They overachieved this season. I honestly don't think the league needed expansion and I didn't like the rules myself. Teams made deals to take bad contracts or to target a different player.

I think your point is correct. No one did. And honestly...if they didn't come back from behind to win that first game...nor if were able to string together as many wins at the start...heck even if they didn't score a goal in that first game...I think this would have been a much different season for them.

And by god I want to say that Vegas will come down from their high next season...but...man...they are just prime to become better next season. They have tons of cap room, great trade bait, great destination for a player, draft picks...They'll have more depth and they'll get a big name, star player besides Fluery.

And let's not forget that they will be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft...

DSP just made it 3-0 Caps in game 4 right before the period ended. Liking this so far.

Edited by Spencer_12
5 people like this

Eww Vegas how do you get steamrolled by the frigging CAPS in the playoffs. This whole season has been a mess start to finish. Bring on October. 

2 people like this

Washington has no resistance at this point.  Especially on the power play

It's almost not fair

7 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Eww Vegas how do you get steamrolled by the frigging CAPS in the playoffs. This whole season has been a mess start to finish. Bring on October. 

The Caps keeping Vegas away from the Cup would literally be the only thing to salvage this crap season. A cherry on top of a steaming pile of ****.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

This series is over.

Maybe I'm just a hater but I've never been so unconvinced by a championship team in any sport as I've been by Washington. I know they're whooping Vegas right now but they likely wouldn't have even made it out of the first round if they played out west.

The Knights are finally starting to look like/act like an expansion team...it's amazing how many flaws are revealed when Fluery stops standing on his head...

2 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

The Caps keeping Vegas away from the Cup would literally be the only thing to salvage this crap season. A cherry on top of a steaming pile of ****.

The league is running out of whipping boys. If Vegas ends up like St. Louis 50 years from now where these first few years will be all they'll have to show for their existence then cool I guess. I want to keep laughing at the same teams now though :ph34r:

Just now, PetrSykora said:

The league is running out of whipping boys. If Vegas ends up like St. Louis 50 years from now where these first few years will be all they'll have to show for their existence then cool I guess. I want to keep laughing at the same teams now though :ph34r:

I actually found myself thinking that same thing a few days ago (Vegas never making it back to the Finals for 50+ years). :lol:

1 minute ago, Spencer_12 said:

I actually found myself thinking that same thing a few days ago (Vegas never making it back to the Finals for 50+ years). :lol:

I hope they finish with 30 wins next season after re-signing everyone on their roster to long term contracts in response to this single run. It almost seems plausible too given how fast things change in this sport. I think I'm done trying to make sense of hockey lol :P

2 people like this

What do you guys think...we'll see Subban in net to start the 3rd? I'm guessing no...but it would be an interesting move!

22 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I hope they finish with 30 wins next season after re-signing everyone on their roster to long term contracts in response to this single run. It almost seems plausible too given how fast things change in this sport. I think I'm done trying to make sense of hockey lol :P

It is certainly possible that the success of this season will ultimately be a negative for VGK.  Their own draft picks will be towards the end of each round, and they were unable to make the deals most first year teams do at the deadline to swap contracts for younger assets and picks.  They compounded this by offering extensions to players like Marchessault.  

It would not surprise me to see a regression towards the mean next season.  Does anyone really believe Wild Bill is a 40 goal scorer on a continuous basis?

I leave at 4-0 and it’s all the sudden 4-2 when I get back. Then immediately the Caps make it 5-2. Yeah, I need to watch all of game 5 so justice can be served.

How is that Not a high sticking penalty? If that was the ducks that would have been a suspension...  dude's nose is nearly broken...

Wilson and his smiling is really annoying.  

And there goes macnabb getting suspended