Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

2018 Stanley Cup Final

Recommended Posts

On 5/29/2018 at 0:30 AM, poum said:

Some seem to think Perron should have a view of the press box. Anyone see this, he comes on as sixth man to goon it with Ovie after a stoppage of play. I didn't see it, hence I'm asking. 

Check out the full video.  Perron came off the bench for a change, Ovi totally took him out, and then Perron retaliated against Ovi by cross checking him.  There's no 6th man, and if you sit Perron, you'd be sitting Ovi as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:56 AM, DucksProg said:

Because some teams still couldn't protect all of their good players and some were forced to give up potentially great ones this way. Only some players were used as salary dump. No one - as an expansion team - had that leverage before, but yet, they are still compared to those teams with their records. Just not the same case, at all.

This is my opinion, we can agree to disagree, it is that for this reason, I can not honestly support them, simple as that. You can, that's not a problem.

I don't hate them, they will just always have a huge asterisk when I look at their season.

I told wataduk the same, what they achieved is pretty cool and exceptional nonetheless, both as players and coaches (I can not bring myself to include McPhee here, sorry, to early for that).

Vegas was very clearly given an advantage over every other expansion team ever.  I don't think anyone's denying that.  But Vegas also paid through the gills to get that advantage, and the owners happily took their money to give it to them.  

I hate them as well, but mostly because they remind me every time they win what a smart team can do with a cohesive team-building strategy and a coach who knows what he's doing.  They anger me because they're fun to watch, and there's no reason the Ducks can't also be fun to watch with a coach who doesn't suck the life out of hockey games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Vegas was very clearly given an advantage over every other expansion team ever.  I don't think anyone's denying that.  But Vegas also paid through the gills to get that advantage, and the owners happily took their money to give it to them.  

I hate them as well, but mostly because they remind me every time they win what a smart team can do with a cohesive team-building strategy and a coach who knows what he's doing.  They anger me because they're fun to watch, and there's no reason the Ducks can't also be fun to watch with a coach who doesn't suck the life out of hockey games.

I was just thinking as I was watching last nights game that the Ducks are completely capable of being as good (if not better) than the Knights/Caps...honestly. The Ducks have a better D core than either team that is young. Have a young goalie that is on the rise and will be at the same (if not better) level as Holtby/Fleury. Honestly, Gibson might be there now if it weren't for his injuries. Have a beast of a centerman that neither team gets even close to...as far as centers. We've got some forwards that could hold their own to Caps/Knights. Physicality that would put both teams to shame. We don't have the speed, that's for sure. And honestly, I'm starting to get on board that maybe RC isn't the guy we need anymore. I dunno. But I really don't think our current Ducks team is too far away from being competitive in this "new" league. Changes do have to be made...so whether we make them or not will obviously be a factor. And if our current players that need to step up will or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I was just thinking as I was watching last nights game that the Ducks are completely capable of being as good (if not better) than the Knights/Caps...honestly. The Ducks have a better D core than either team that is young. Have a young goalie that is on the rise and will be at the same (if not better) level as Holtby/Fleury. Honestly, Gibson might be there now if it weren't for his injuries. Have a beast of a centerman that neither team gets even close to...as far as centers. We've got some forwards that could hold their own to Caps/Knights. Physicality that would put both teams to shame. We don't have the speed, that's for sure. And honestly, I'm starting to get on board that maybe RC isn't the guy we need anymore. I dunno. But I really don't think our current Ducks team is too far away from being competitive in this "new" league. Changes do have to be made...so whether we make them or not will obviously be a factor. And if our current players that need to step up will or not.

I would say our defense and goalie have a better upside than Vegas but it stops there. Getzlaf is a beast when he wants to but he couldn't keep up that intensity night after night. The only forwards that could hold their own are Raks and Kase. Cogs has the speed but not the scoring touch. Silf wasn't particularly good this season. Perry is sinking faster than the Titanic. Kesler if he's actually healthy is a beast. Henrique is hot or cold. If and when Eaves comes back, it seems like he is one injury away from missing significant time and that leaves Ritchie, Mr. Pillsbury Dough Boy. Until the forward situation gets sorted out whether from trades or Gulls getting promoted, I just see the Ducks being stagnant for the next few seasons. RC is definitely not the future and I don't think should even be behind the bench for next season. The "new" league isn't just about speed, it's good skating, passing and decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I would say our defense and goalie have a better upside than Vegas but it stops there. Getzlaf is a beast when he wants to but he couldn't keep up that intensity night after night. The only forwards that could hold their own are Raks and Kase. Cogs has the speed but not the scoring touch. Silf wasn't particularly good this season. Perry is sinking faster than the Titanic. Kesler if he's actually healthy is a beast. Henrique is hot or cold. If and when Eaves comes back, it seems like he is one injury away from missing significant time and that leaves Ritchie, Mr. Pillsbury Dough Boy. Until the forward situation gets sorted out whether from trades or Gulls getting promoted, I just see the Ducks being stagnant for the next few seasons. RC is definitely not the future and I don't think should even be behind the bench for next season. The "new" league isn't just about speed, it's good skating, passing and decisions. 

Well, I agree. Which is why I basically mentioned the forwards last lol I'm willing to give Slif another season to see if he can get back to form...and hopefully Kesler does get back to full strength! I didn't necessarily mean this coming season, but I am one that likes to wait and see....optimistic during the "wait" part and then realistic during the "see" part...if I was a player or management I'd have a different mind set haha, but as a fan that's how I try to be. And yeah, totally the "new" league is definitely more than just speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, I agree. Which is why I basically mentioned the forwards last lol I'm willing to give Slif another season to see if he can get back to form...and hopefully Kesler does get back to full strength! I didn't necessarily mean this coming season, but I am one that likes to wait and see....optimistic during the "wait" part and then realistic during the "see" part...if I was a player or management I'd have a different mind set haha, but as a fan that's how I try to be. And yeah, totally the "new" league is definitely more than just speed.

It's a contract year for Silf and Henrique so one of them might be gone. Just speculating. Raks at 3.8M a year makes it kinda of hard IMO for Silf to get a significant raise in Anaheim. Henrique is 28 going on 29 so do you want to invest long term in him like Kesler? (I suppose all this should be in the rumors and speculation section of the board). But back the SCF, I don't think Anaheim has anything for VGK, the Caps or just about any other team in the playoffs this season except maybe for the Kings. Those damn losers couldn't even win their last regular season game to make a Ducks/Kings first round match-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has struck me watching Vegas play is how generous the line mates are with each other.  Maybe it's required at this level of play, but they're always dishing to a line mate rather than taking a low percentage shot.  And they're clearly having fun - singing or dancing to music in between tv time outs, etc.

That might be why I see each of their lines like 2nd lines - confident in their ability to score and play well, knowing they need to work as a line to do so, and playing with a little less individual pressure than the $8M+ guys on the top line (and a little less stingy with the play, maybe).

I'll try to compare Wash's style when I get a chance to watch the 2nd and upcoming 3rd games...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Capitals opening with Pat Sajak and his center ice introduction ceremony was very homer-esque....

Awful....

Edited by Fowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaggy and Sting is such a hilariously random combo to perform at a Stanley Cup Final game but I guess it's still waaaaaay better than the nonsense from last season. And I guess if you think about it that duo makes as much sense as the Vegas pregame shows so why not I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I like that penalty call.  DSP looked to be outside the crease.  No goal, no penalty is probably the better call.  Officials used the replay to call the penalty.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that this lineup has taken them farther than they've ever gone but still, why is Wilson even on a line with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin? Dude bobbles clean passes almost as bad as Nick Ritchie whenever he doesn't get in his pregame bucket of Popeyes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Not sure I like that penalty call.  DSP looked to be outside the crease.  No goal, no penalty is probably the better call.  Officials used the replay to call the penalty.

I completely agree. Not sure how you call the penalty there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like nothing more than seeing someone on the Caps hand Neal his posterior.  Neal is a chump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theodore looks like he's trying to play his way back onto the Ducks with boneheaded decisions like that. Why on earth would anyone pinch off the point after breaking their stick? That goal is entirely on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I would like nothing more than seeing someone on the Caps hand Neal his posterior.  Neal is a chump.

Ask and you shall receive. Djoos clocked his face good in that scrum. Although in the case of Neal his face doubles as a posterior. I wanna see him get smacked around by every Cap by the time the night is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DT2008 said:

There is the Shea Theodore we remember from last year’s playoff

That is 2 goals on him tonight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Ask and you shall receive. Djoos clocked his face good in that scrum. Although in the case of Neal his face doubles as a posterior. I wanna see him get smacked around by every Cap by the time the night is done.

I can’t stand the clown.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Theodore looks like he's trying to play his way back onto the Ducks with boneheaded decisions like that. Why on earth would anyone pinch off the point after breaking their stick? That goal is entirely on him.

He’s still a young defensemen, but this is a big stage to screw up on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vegas has never been through any sort of slump.  It appears that is where they are now.  Bad puck luck for sure.  Passes that were on the stick are now bouncing over and shots that were going in are hitting the post.  Marssesseault hit the post having beaten Holtby clean in the first period.  Then someone else hit the post.  Then, Ovechkin didn't miss...

I laughed when I read the post about Theodore trying to be a Duck.  It's so true though.

Dumb play.  Break stick?  Hustle back and do whatever it takes to take a guy out of the play.  Instead, goal.

Honestly I don't want either team to win, least of all Washington.

why people are rooting for ovechkin now - the fact is he never showed up for the playoffs before now - it's not that he is playing all that well but the pucks are going in.  Dude can roll though...

I was secretly hoping the Caps would disintegrate so the ducks could hire Trotz.  

Also, whether folks like it or not, the main reason the caps as they are assembled as a team is due to George MacPhee.  He knows what he is doing, that much is obvious.  NBC showed a list of the players he brought to Washington.  A formidable list anyone would clearly envy.

I hope Vegas comes back and makes it a series.  It's so much better watching this hockey than the 7.5 seconds of play and then a whistle in the NBA playoffs, not to mention the 20 second time outs and then the 30 second time outs, the endless fouls and stoppages of play.  Heck, these games regularly have 7, 8, 9 - even 10 minutes of non stop play.  That's a true spectator sport.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Vegas has never been through any sort of slump.  It appears that is where they are now.  Bad puck luck for sure.  Passes that were on the stick are now bouncing over and shots that were going in are hitting the post.  Marssesseault hit the post having beaten Holtby clean in the first period.  Then someone else hit the post.  Then, Ovechkin didn't miss...

I laughed when I read the post about Theodore trying to be a Duck.  It's so true though.

Dumb play.  Break stick?  Hustle back and do whatever it takes to take a guy out of the play.  Instead, goal.

Honestly I don't want either team to win, least of all Washington.

why people are rooting for ovechkin now - the fact is he never showed up for the playoffs before now - it's not that he is playing all that well but the pucks are going in.  Dude can roll though...

I was secretly hoping the Caps would disintegrate so the ducks could hire Trotz.  

Also, whether folks like it or not, the main reason the caps as they are assembled as a team is due to George MacPhee.  He knows what he is doing, that much is obvious.  NBC showed a list of the players he brought to Washington.  A formidable list anyone would clearly envy.

I hope Vegas comes back and makes it a series.  It's so much better watching this hockey than the 7.5 seconds of play and then a whistle in the NBA playoffs, not to mention the 20 second time outs and then the 30 second time outs, the endless fouls and stoppages of play.  Heck, these games regularly have 7, 8, 9 - even 10 minutes of non stop play.  That's a true spectator sport.

Filip Forsberg for Erat?... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Vegas has never been through any sort of slump.  It appears that is where they are now.  Bad puck luck for sure.  Passes that were on the stick are now bouncing over and shots that were going in are hitting the post.  Marssesseault hit the post having beaten Holtby clean in the first period.  Then someone else hit the post.  Then, Ovechkin didn't miss...

I laughed when I read the post about Theodore trying to be a Duck.  It's so true though.

Dumb play.  Break stick?  Hustle back and do whatever it takes to take a guy out of the play.  Instead, goal.

Honestly I don't want either team to win, least of all Washington.

why people are rooting for ovechkin now - the fact is he never showed up for the playoffs before now - it's not that he is playing all that well but the pucks are going in.  Dude can roll though...

I was secretly hoping the Caps would disintegrate so the ducks could hire Trotz.  

Also, whether folks like it or not, the main reason the caps as they are assembled as a team is due to George MacPhee.  He knows what he is doing, that much is obvious.  NBC showed a list of the players he brought to Washington.  A formidable list anyone would clearly envy.

I hope Vegas comes back and makes it a series.  It's so much better watching this hockey than the 7.5 seconds of play and then a whistle in the NBA playoffs, not to mention the 20 second time outs and then the 30 second time outs, the endless fouls and stoppages of play.  Heck, these games regularly have 7, 8, 9 - even 10 minutes of non stop play.  That's a true spectator sport.

 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Filip Forsberg for Erat?... 

This. So much this.

I haven't closely followed him, but looking at his GM records as the Caps' boss, he couldn't put together a successful draft until Ovechkin fell in his lap (it was already his 8th year as GM), his list of drafts is full of the 'from top to bottom BUST' kinds, he's about 0.500 with first round picks and he barely hits beyong round No.1, and he ruined his single best draft since 2006 (Forsberg, Wilson, Stephenson, Djoos) by trading a sadly now star player in the above mentioned deal.

All of that show me he doesn't really know what he is doing.
I can give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he needed a fresh start, but his records are BAD.
The fact that some GMs at the expansion draft were stupid beyond reason and McPhee took their gifts doesn't make him a genious and everything VGK has achieved is 90% on the coach+players, the rest is split between Foley and McPhee (probably not evenly, favoring the former). Also, based on what I've read, Gallant and Foley were drafting that team as much as McPhee (he pulled the trigger, but they built the strategy together if I remember well).

This miracle year does a lot of good to an otherwise unconvincing resumé tbh. He's been good when he was presented with 'golden egg' type situations, and looking at the future draftboards of Vegas beyond '18, they are stacked with high picks so good players will come from those, but his overall efficiency as a drafter has been poor and his wheelin' 'n' dealin' questionable, so we'll see.

Edited by DucksProg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see DPS having some success. Felt bad for him when the Habs let him go. I remember he was very disappointed. I understand why the Ducks moved away from him but I do remember him scoring a few clutch goals in the playoffs for the Ducks. He seems to be one of those players that plays at a higher level than normal in the post season when given the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DucksProg said:

 

This. So much this.

I haven't closely followed him, but looking at his GM records as the Caps' boss, he couldn't put together a successful draft until Ovechkin fell in his lap (it was already his 8th year as GM), his list of drafts is full of the 'from top to bottom BUST' kinds, he's about 0.500 with first round picks and he barely hits beyong round No.1, and he ruined his single best draft since 2006 (Forsberg, Wilson, Stephenson, Djoos) by trading a sadly now star player in the above mentioned deal.

All of that show me he doesn't really know what he is doing.
I can give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he needed a fresh start, but his records are BAD.
The fact that some GMs at the expansion draft were stupid beyond reason and McPhee took their gifts doesn't make him a genious and everything VGK has achieved is 90% on the coach+players, the rest is split between Foley and McPhee (probably not evenly, favoring the former). Also, based on what I've read, Gallant and Foley were drafting that team as much as McPhee (he pulled the trigger, but they built the strategy together if I remember well).

This miracle year does a lot of good to an otherwise unconvincing resumé tbh. He's been good when he was presented with 'golden egg' type situations, and looking at the future draftboards of Vegas beyond '18, they are stacked with high picks so good players will come from those, but his overall efficiency as a drafter has been poor and his wheelin' 'n' dealin' questionable, so we'll see.

Nobody’s perfect, but I think GMGM is a really good GM. His draft history doesn’t have quite the same late-round consistency as some other GMs, but he did find a Vezina winner (Holtby) in the 4th round. He’s also nailed late 1st round picks at a rate equal to or better than any of his peers, which he’s HAD to because his teams have had such great regular season success. Kuznetsov, Carlson, Mike Green, Varlamov and Johansson were all taken between #23-#29. And McPhee’s biggest 1st round bust, Kris Beech at #7 in 1999, was promptly traded to Pittsburgh for Jaromír freaking Jagr in 2001 (while Beech was still in Juniors). He also had the foresight to give Boudreau his first big break rather than just hiring another re-tread like most GMs do (coughCarlylecough). That’s creating a heckuva lot of success from scratch IMO. And that’s just in Washington. 

And he’s now assembled two Stanley Cup Finals teams (two more than Bob Murray, btw), including one literally from scratch. So big deal if McPhee lucked his way into Ovechkin. BM took over a roster with Getzlaf, Perry, and the biggest trade bait (Pronger) in the NHL to play with. That luck didn’t get either one of them to the Finals. They’re both still really good GMs though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...