The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

2018 Stanley Cup Final

DSP was clearly asked by a DC area reporter and he gave his honest answer.  I applaud him for that.  He wasn't offering this opinion unsolicited and he didn't "fall for the bait."  He was asked a question and answered it.  You can disagree with his opinion on visiting the White House, but his reasoning behind it is factual.

The main problem I have is the jinx factor.  It seems sketchy to talk about what you're going to do when you win if you haven't won anything yet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

DSP was clearly asked by a DC area reporter and he gave his honest answer.  I applaud him for that.  He wasn't offering this opinion unsolicited and he didn't "fall for the bait."  He was asked a question and answered it.  You can disagree with his opinion on visiting the White House, but his reasoning behind it is factual.

The main problem I have is the jinx factor.  It seems sketchy to talk about what you're going to do when you win if you haven't won anything yet.

Exactly! WTF kind of reporter asks that question BEFORE they've won anything! Also, I'm pretty sure IF they do win something, he doesn't have to worry about the invitation till NEXT season. That's a good distance away. Maybe things change by then. I feel bad for DSP 'cause once that is asked upon you...no matter what you say or what you do, you'll be scrutinized for it...even if you don't answer it.

...although he could have just said "no need to think about that right now. we haven't won anything yet."

• Like 2

personally, I would as just as soon the White House discontinue sports teams visits anyway.  Sports should be non political, and that’s for both the winners and the losers.  DSP was a fool to be lured in and to comment about it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Exactly! WTF kind of reporter asks that question BEFORE they've won anything! Also, I'm pretty sure IF they do win something, he doesn't have to worry about the invitation till NEXT season. That's a good distance away. Maybe things change by then. I feel bad for DSP 'cause once that is asked upon you...no matter what you say or what you do, you'll be scrutinized for it...even if you don't answer it.

...although he could have just said "no need to think about that right now. we haven't won anything yet."

A Canadian one, right after the US Pres. throws Canada under the bus.

White House visits were in the past partially political (President gets to look cool and gets free air time) and partially a reward to the teams - access to the president, and partially an opportunity to encourage the teams to be good role models for the kids.

Now... they've become almost 100% political, and the players are rebelling both at that and at the politics of the current president.  What would be interesting is to see what sports champion teams did during WW1 and 2, and then during the Vietnam and Korean wars.  I don't remember any team abstaining on political grounds during the Gulf, Afghan, and Iraq wars, or pretty much at all since 1976 or so.  My memory isn't perfect.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

A Canadian one, right after the US Pres. throws Canada under the bus.

White House visits were in the past partially political (President gets to look cool and gets free air time) and partially a reward to the teams - access to the president, and partially an opportunity to encourage the teams to be good role models for the kids.

Now... they've become almost 100% political, and the players are rebelling both at that and at the politics of the current president.  What would be interesting is to see what sports champion teams did during WW1 and 2, and then during the Vietnam and Korean wars.  I don't remember any team abstaining on political grounds during the Gulf, Afghan, and Iraq wars, or pretty much at all since 1976 or so.  My memory isn't perfect.

I read somewhere that players also chose not to attend with past presidents due to political beliefs...and no one really cared much. Now "suddenly" it's this huge big deal...I get why, there are a lot of factors. I really don't care if the tradition continues or not lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fowl said:

personally, I would as just as soon the White House discontinue sports teams visits anyway.  Sports should be non political, and that’s for both the winners and the losers.  DSP was a fool to be lured in and to comment about it.  

Lebron, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant answered the same question after Game 2 of the NBA Finals. It’s not like DSP is on his own personal island here. Whether anyone likes his answer or not, he’s simply answering the same question that the biggest icons in all of sports are answering. Sorry, but this is a big fat nothing-burger of a story.

• Like 4

Emulating the NBA players is right there with being a Krapernick protege.  

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lebron, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant answered the same question after Game 2 of the NBA Finals. It’s not like DSP is on his own personal island here. Whether anyone likes his answer or not, he’s simply answering the same question that the biggest icons in all of sports are answering. Sorry, but this is a big fat nothing-burger of a story.

3 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I missed the first period.  Hows the play?

missed it myself. What  I could tell on the radio seems like both teams are being a bit cautious.Neither wants to  make a mistake.

Caps break the ice 1-0

1st period Ovechkin ripped one off the post on the PP. Otherwise nothing too amazing, a few ok chances apiece.

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 2

Kuznetsov's 32nd point. Highest playoff total since Malkin put up 36 in 2009 and he's doing it 5v5 too. I know everyone wants to give Ovechkin the MVP cause #narratives but it would be bogus if it went to anyone but Kuznetsov at this point. 

• Like 3

Lmao that didn't take long at all. Kinda getting a Ducks vs. Senators game 5 vibe from this game. It seems like a foregone conclusion that Washington is winning it tonight.

• Like 1

Will Caps and Ovi will the Stanley Cup? or will Magentos bounce back...We will FIND OUT TONITE...Quack.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Holy crap DSP is a monster in the playoffs. But hey, Sekac is too right? (in the KHL at least <_<)

Edited by PetrSykora

If DSP showed that kind of hustle in Anaheim, they’d never got rid of him.  He was a floater much of his time in Anaheim.

excellent effort putting it in the net.

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Wash has plenty of other players that take pressure off DSP, so he has more chances to shine. 

He was in the NHL too soon....not enough time spent in the minors to develop.  

• Like 2