Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nieder said:

The bold. This this this. If BM had signed Grant and Grant had fallen off the face of the earth next season scoring wise, people would be blaming Murray for giving Grant a deal based on one season of work. He's a 4th liner that just had a career year, he's unlikely to ever score as many as 24 points again. I can't believe people are so upset about losing a #4C.

To me, it’s just funny optics that Murray would sign a guy like Rowney to a three year deal at almost twice the AAV of Grant. Rowney is a year older and has 12 points in 71 career games. Grant at least has a year of production that you can point to, but you’re right that losing him isn’t some crippling blow to the team.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GMBM blundered to let Grant bail for a league minimum salary for one year.  That said, Grant is easily replaced.

GMBM hasn’t done much positive over the past couple of years except maintain his draft assets.  That has been positive.  Hopefully he has also learned to avoid NMCs contracts for older players. Bieska being prime case in point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After coming over in 2016 during a trade deadline deal, Eaves proceeded to ink a new three-year, $9.45MM extension that summer only to miss all but two games last season after being diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome. However, he is expected to return to the Ducks next season to add to their veteran core, although the team might now lose Ryan Kesler, who has been limited with a hip injury from last season and could miss part or even all of next season.

“I’m more confident that Patrick Eaves is going to play for the full season than I am of Ryan Kesler at the moment, although ‘Kes’ says he’s going to be fine,” Murray said during an event with Ducks season-ticket holders at Bolsa Chica State Beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

After coming over in 2016 during a trade deadline deal, Eaves proceeded to ink a new three-year, $9.45MM extension that summer only to miss all but two games last season after being diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome. However, he is expected to return to the Ducks next season to add to their veteran core, although the team might now lose Ryan Kesler, who has been limited with a hip injury from last season and could miss part or even all of next season.

“I’m more confident that Patrick Eaves is going to play for the full season than I am of Ryan Kesler at the moment, although ‘Kes’ says he’s going to be fine,” Murray said during an event with Ducks season-ticket holders at Bolsa Chica State Beach.

That's not good, since Eaves is not known for playing full seasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

That's not good, since Eaves is not known for playing full seasons.

Well It’s starting to look like Bob might have the opportunity to yet again blame next years failures to an injured team and poor on-ice leadership. Saying, “will I got that team faster (technically) and we still came up short but look at my drafting history for defensemen, it’s perty, right?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Well It’s starting to look like Bob might have the opportunity to yet again blame next years failures to an injured team and poor on-ice leadership. Saying, “will I got that team faster (technically) and we still came up short but look at my drafting history for defensemen, it’s perty, right?”

Rowney might be equal to Grant in speed and I've seen some comments saying that Gibbons is slower than Chimera so he might not even be able to say he got a faster team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Well It’s starting to look like Bob might have the opportunity to yet again blame next years failures to an injured team and poor on-ice leadership. Saying, “will I got that team faster (technically) and we still came up short but look at my drafting history for defensemen, it’s perty, right?”

IF that is the case then it's another reason why Bob needs to go.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, Fowl said:

GMBM blundered to let Grant bail for a league minimum salary for one year.  That said, Grant is easily replaced.

 

Famous last words.  I think Grant shined because he was finally given the chance to play with decent line mates.  We have at least one player in our roster who can't even do that much.

It'll be interesting to see how much ice time Grant gets with the Pens.  I think he may put up better numbers than this past season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Famous last words.  I think Grant shined because he was finally given the chance to play with decent line mates.  We have at least one player in our roster who can't even do that much.

It'll be interesting to see how much ice time Grant gets with the Pens.  I think he may put up better numbers than this past season.

I would not be surprise IF we see a Motivated Grant.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fisix said:

Famous last words.  I think Grant shined because he was finally given the chance to play with decent line mates.  We have at least one player in our roster who can't even do that much.

It'll be interesting to see how much ice time Grant gets with the Pens.  I think he may put up better numbers than this past season.

Take a look at the Pens roster. They got center depth up the wazoo. Crosby, Malkin, Sheehan, Cullen. Those are the guys most likely to play the center role. While there's a bunch of wingers who can also play the center role too. Grants most likely gonna be rotating in and out of the lineup as a 4th line winger.

I wish him the best though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say IF Kesboss has to miss the season.....Ducks should have a  Plan B waiting just in case things like this happens. Rico would move up to 2nd line Center Position.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, poum said:

Take a look at the Pens roster. They got center depth up the wazoo. Crosby, Malkin, Sheehan, Cullen. Those are the guys most likely to play the center role. While there's a bunch of wingers who can also play the center role too. Grants most likely gonna be rotating in and out of the lineup as a 4th line winger.

I wish him the best though.

Matt Cullen turns 42 in November. It's a decent bet that he doesn't even finish this season. :P

But yeah, Brassard probably slides in as their #3C and Sheehan probably as their #4C (or as a 3rd line winger). Grant will have to really work to stay in that lineup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BiolaRunner said:

Kesler was on the ice for drills today, along with Eaves

Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray said that, while both Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are not cleared for contact, the two have made significant progress recovering from injuries this offseason. Neither have a set timetable for their return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray said that, while both Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are not cleared for contact, the two have made significant progress recovering from injuries this offseason. Neither have a set timetable for their return.

Soooo both still injured... **sigh** 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray said that, while both Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are not cleared for contact, the two have made significant progress recovering from injuries this offseason. Neither have a set timetable for their return.

Ugh, that certainly doesn't sound very positive...but it is great they are skating with the team!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it as a negative at all. This is the way last season pretty much started so they have already been down this road. This time, we already have Henrique so GMBM doesn't need to make a trade and this also opens the door wide open for some of the kids to fight that much harder for a roster spot. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BiolaRunner said:

Kesler was on the ice for drills today, along with Eaves

Saw some of the Pics and Clips...They look good. Hopefully they will be ready for Puck Drop.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Saw some of the Pics and Clips...They look good. Hopefully they will be ready for Puck Drop.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I believe BM said Eaves would be ready game 6 or 7. No timetable on Kes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 10:29 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

I believe BM said Eaves would be ready game 6 or 7. No timetable on Kes.

Holy crap! I had no idea. Good for Eaves! Give this man the Bill Masterson Award!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

I believe BM said Eaves would be ready game 6 or 7. No timetable on Kes.

IF that is the case 2 more spots for the Ducks Young Guns just open abit for our team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, oside2006 said:

https://pucksofafeather.com/2018/08/06/anaheim-ducks-kesler-johansen-rivalry/

Is Kesler injury and sitting out news all false, after seeing this tweet im leaning more toward that he is ready for the season and ready to whoop some ass.

From a recent Eric Stephens story from The Athletic about the tweet....

“People don’t understand,” Kesler said, pointing out it was playful in nature. “We were passing each other in the gym for a week there. I think we caught each other’s eyes. … It’s just letting everybody know I’ll be back.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray said that, while both Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves are not cleared for contact, the two have made significant progress recovering from injuries this offseason. Neither have a set timetable for their return.

While it is good to see both of them practicing, how the hell was Kesler allowed to play last season and in the playoffs if he is still not cleared for contact now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

While it is good to see both of them practicing, how the hell was Kesler allowed to play last season and in the playoffs if he is still not cleared for contact now?

Well only one knows this is Kesboss and Bob Murray themselves.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

He couldn't lift weights last year, and yet someone still allowed him to play? Why did they let him play in freaking December rather than giving him more time before the playoffs?

How is that not gross negligence of an asset? It clearly wasn't worth it because he sucked last year and is still feeling the repercussions now. Somebody should be fired for this, in my opinion. I'm not sure who is to blame more for this at the moment between the training staff, strength/conditioning coach, or RC. 

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

He couldn't lift weights last year, and yet someone still allowed him to play? Why did they let him play in freaking December rather than giving him more time before the playoffs?

How is that not gross negligence of an asset? It clearly wasn't worth it because he sucked last year and is still feeling the repercussions now. Somebody should be fired for this, in my opinion. I'm not sure who is to blame more for this at the moment between the training staff, strength/conditioning coach, or RC. 

I think you're missing some context.  i think he may be saying that last year, DURING SPRING TRAINING, he wasn't able to lift, etc.  I'm pretty sure i saw video of him lifting while getting ready to play in december, and through january etc.

regardless, they aren't idiots.  they do their best to manage the longevity of the players on long term contracts.  best to keep that in mind when you read through snippets of comments like that linked image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I think you're missing some context.  i think he may be saying that last year, DURING SPRING TRAINING, he wasn't able to lift, etc.  I'm pretty sure i saw video of him lifting while getting ready to play in december, and through january etc.

regardless, they aren't idiots.  they do their best to manage the longevity of the players on long term contracts.  best to keep that in mind when you read through snippets of comments like that linked image.

Fair point on the context. However, I took "last year" as all of last year. And it doesn't seem like something he would say if he is only talking about Spring/Summer training. In fact, I'm willing to guess that he is not talking about that, as he would still be recovering from surgery then, and that seems like pretty basic knowledge that requires no explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Fair point on the context. However, I took "last year" as all of last year. And it doesn't seem like something he would say if he is only talking about Spring/Summer training. In fact, I'm willing to guess that he is not talking about that, as he would still be recovering from surgery then, and that seems like pretty basic knowledge that requires no explanation.

Watching the video of the interview where Kesler said this - I also got the impression that he was saying he was unable to lift weights all of last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...