The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2018 NHL Draft

So, with the draft kicking off on Friday, let's get some opinions on who the Ducks should draft, and what we think they'll actually do. The draft should have some solid talent, however, there is no shortage of wildly different projections outside of the Top-5. The Ducks have two 3rd round picks and no 7th round pick.

Personally, I'd like to see the Ducks need improve their forward talent, especially at center, but Murray could also begin to start stocking up on defensemen again especially after only drafting one in the last two years while also losing Theodore and Vatanen. Unless Bode Miller drops all the way to the 23rd spot (not likely) then I doubt Murray takes a defensemen in the first round, unless he's floored on someone like K'Andre Miller or Jared McIsaac.

1st round pick, if available, I'd like to see the Ducks select Isac Lundestrom (C), though I think Murray would prefer someone like Ryan McLeod. My dark horse pick that I would also like to see is LW Dominik Bokk.

Fire away with the hot takes....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

So, with the draft kicking off on Friday, let's get some opinions on who the Ducks should draft, and what we think they'll actually do. The draft should have some solid talent, however, there is no shortage of wildly different projections outside of the Top-5. The Ducks have two 3rd round picks and no 7th round pick.

Personally, I'd like to see the Ducks need improve their forward talent, especially at center, but Murray could also begin to start stocking up on defensemen again especially after only drafting one in the last two years while also losing Theodore and Vatanen. Unless Bode Miller drops all the way to the 23rd spot (not likely) then I doubt Murray takes a defensemen in the first round, unless he's floored on someone like K'Andre Miller or Jared McIsaac.

1st round pick, if available, I'd like to see the Ducks select Isac Lundestrom (C), though I think Murray would prefer someone like Ryan McLeod. My dark horse pick that I would also like to see is LW Dominik Bokk.

Well since we know Ducks have always taken D in the past 25 years....mostly around 10. I Beleive Ducks will Select Jared McIssac from Halifax Mooseheads..(yes It's alittle Bias and firsttime I make Predicition). If they select a Forward it would be Rasmu Kuprai or  Ryan MacLeod.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

I guess I would be the crazy one in the bunch. If there were some way that Murray could pry Detroit's 2nd round picks from them that would be awesome but I don't see that happening. If he's there at 23rd, I would go for Akil Thomas. He looks like a right handed Henrique. If he's not there and Murray wants a D-Man, Jett Woo. Anaheim doesn't have RHD's in the system that I know of besides Welinski so it might be time to restock the RHD's. Moving on past that I'm looking at Martin Kaut, Rasmus Kupari, Niklas Nordgren, Axel Andreson and Jesse Ylonen from Europe. From North America Sean Durzi, Alexander Khovanov (yep a Russian but playing here) Joey Keane. Just a lot to pick from in this draft. Maybe a late round pick for Liam Kirk.

14 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

From what I've seen on Miller, he's big and kind of slow but I've only seen a sample size video of him. Bokk is interesting. The analysis I gathered on him was that he's a sniper but needs work on his skating and hockey IQ. I agree that this draft will have solid talent even in the later rounds. Christmas time in June.

21 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I guess I would be the crazy one in the bunch. If there were some way that Murray could pry Detroit's 2nd round picks from them that would be awesome but I don't see that happening. If he's there at 23rd, I would go for Akil Thomas. He looks like a right handed Henrique. If he's not there and Murray wants a D-Man, Jett Woo. Anaheim doesn't have RHD's in the system that I know of besides Welinski so it might be time to restock the RHD's. Moving on past that I'm looking at Martin Kaut, Rasmus Kupari, Niklas Nordgren, Axel Andreson and Jesse Ylonen from Europe. From North America Sean Durzi, Alexander Khovanov (yep a Russian but playing here) Joey Keane. Just a lot to pick from in this draft. Maybe a late round pick for Liam Kirk.

I’d love to get Rasmus Kupari but doubt that he’s dropping that far to us. I like the your thought of Akil Thomas because of his offensive upside. I just wonder if Murray would go with a bigger, more defensive center. Nordgren would be good and sounds like the Finnish Silfverberg potentially. I’m definitely expecting a RH defensemen or two in this draft. Maybe another Swede like Lundkvist. Jett Woo could be drafted just because of his name and I wouldn’t hate it.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’d love to get Rasmus Kupari but doubt that he’s dropping that far to us. Akil Thomas is another prospect that I wouldn’t mind taking either because of his offensive upside. I just wonder if Murray would go with a bigger, more defensive center. Nordgren would be good and sounds like the Finnish Silfverberg potentially. I’m definitely expecting a RH defensemen or two in this draft. Maybe another Swede like Lundkvist. Jett Woo could be dragged just because of his name and I wouldn’t hate it.

Another Finn I like is Jerry Turkulainen but like Nordgren, they are little people so from perspective, I think Murray passes on them. Woo looks like Monty but a little bigger in size and with the next expansion draft coming, there might be a need to replace Monty unfortunately.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

Another Finn I like is Jerry Turkulainen but like Nordgren, they are little people so from perspective, I think Murray passes on them. Woo looks like Monty but a little bigger in size and with the next expansion draft coming, there might be a need to replace Monty unfortunately.

Whoever the Ducks Pick either way I would be happy....If it's a Defencemen it I would be Happy if it's a Forward no Problem there...a Goalie might not hurt at all.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Whoever the Ducks Pick either way I would be happy....If it's a Defencemen it I would be Happy if it's a Forward no Problem there...a Goalie might not hurt at all.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Drafting goalies is always a big ?, unless you’re Gibby or a high end guy. I’m honestly pretty stoked with the re-signing of Boyle. Dude has never gotten a chance in the bigs , and his numbers have been above average the past 2 seasons playing below. 

Id go with Akil in my opinion. But hey... trade Ritchie to the Devils for the 17th and maybe we could snatch Bode Miller.. He could possibly drop to that spot.

Edited by yeaitsme
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Drafting goalies is always a big ?, unless you’re Gibby or a high end guy. I’m honestly pretty stoked with the re-signing of Boyle. Dude has never gotten a chance in the bigs , and his numbers have been above average the past 2 seasons playing below. 

Id go with Akil in my opinion. But hey... trade Ritchie to the Devils for the 17th and maybe we could snatch Bode Miller.. He could possibly drop to that spot.

I'd trade Ritchie for a milk crate of practice pucks and a box of frozen Ding Dongs. But hey, if we could get a 17th out of it.....even better.

Edited by Animal24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Animal24 said:

I'd trade Ritchie for a milk crate of practice pucks and a box of frozen Ding Dongs. But hey, if we could get a 17th out of it.....even better.

I think that he’s getting re-signed a short and cheap extension, unless he’s a supplemental piece in a bigger trade. I’d have no problem giving him another year to see if he can turn it around. He’s still only 22.

14 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

If Bode Wilde (sorry for calling him Miller earlier) falls that far to us then I see Murray taking him. Sounds like a slightly smaller version of Manson.

18 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Perhaps but Let's be honest Ducks Drafting a D-man or Forward doe snot surprise me...It would not hurt if they draft a Goalie in First Round.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Perhaps but Let's be honest Ducks Drafting a D-man or Forward doe snot surprise me...It would not hurt if they draft a Goalie in First Round.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Goalies generally don’t go in the 1st round though unless they are an extremely talented prospect and there aren’t any in this draft that would warrant going that high. Even the 2nd round is high for a goalie. Eriksson Ek was the guy last year and Gibson still hasn’t even entered his prime yet. 

6 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Glad someone made this thread.

I think the Ducks have to go F here. Preferably center. 2 names I like - Rasmus Kupari and Isac Lundstrom.

I like both of them but I don’t see Kupari falling that far even. If he did and Murray didn’t take him then he should be banned from hockey forever. I’m expecting the Ducks to take a center just because that’s going to be the biggest future need. Lundestrom would be my pick, followed by Thomas then since they have the most realistic chance of being available. We could use a LW also and would like to see Benoit Grouix fall far enough in round two and get him.

15 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Glad someone made this thread.

I think the Ducks have to go F here. Preferably center. 2 names I like - Rasmus Kupari and Isac Lundstrom.

I am hoping they get a Right Wing Forward...Ducks need some to booster Right Wing Position.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that he’s getting re-signed a short and cheap extension, unless he’s a supplemental piece in a bigger trade. I’d have no problem giving him another year to see if he can turn it around. He’s still only 22.

I was on the "Trade Ritchie" wagon earlier on when this team got smoked by the Sharks but looking at it now, I feel that would be a regrettable mistake (see Palmieri, Noesen, Smith-Pelly, Karlsson, Theodore, etc...).  I'd give Ritchie 1 more year to prove that he's worth being picked 10th overall.  He needs to get his act together, keeps his testosterone in check, and go to the net often and consistently.  If he can do that, his offensive production and value goes up by default.

11 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

I was on the "Trade Ritchie" wagon earlier on when this team got smoked by the Sharks but looking at it now, I feel that would be a regrettable mistake (see Palmieri, Noesen, Smith-Pelly, Karlsson, Theodore, etc...).  I'd give Ritchie 1 more year to prove that he's worth being picked 10th overall.  He needs to get his act together, keeps his testosterone in check, and go to the net often and consistently.  If he can do that, his offensive production and value goes up by default.

Ritchie will get paid commensurate with his production.  Sure, it would hurt to see him become nothing more than a somewhat skilled 4th liner, but isn't that something the team needs too?  If he could provide some needed depth scoring, that's not a bad thing.

• Like 1

It's tougher for me to get excited about the NHL draft when we pick in the 20s or lower, just given the rare early contributions from those guys historically.

But hey, howabout that new uniform leak?

19 minutes ago, BestOfTheWest said:

It's tougher for me to get excited about the NHL draft when we pick in the 20s or lower, just given the rare early contributions from those guys historically.

But hey, howabout that new uniform leak?

I disagree here.  Just because a player is drafted low doesn't necessarily mean that they do not have superstar potential, Rickard Rakell is a prime example of that.  Just because a player is drafted top-3 overall and got all the media hype doesn't necessarily mean that they are guaranteed superstars in the League, just look at Nathan Horton and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

2 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

I disagree here.  Just because a player is drafted low doesn't necessarily mean that they do not have superstar potential, Rickard Rakell is a prime example of that.  Just because a player is drafted top-3 overall and got all the media hype doesn't necessarily mean that they are guaranteed superstars in the League, just look at Nathan Horton and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

I remeber the hype of those 2...once they played hype faded.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

I think you misinterpreted what I said - I said "rare early contributions," as in it's going to be a few years before those guys are NHL ready, not that they can't be great players eventually.

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Ritchie will get paid commensurate with his production.  Sure, it would hurt to see him become nothing more than a somewhat skilled 4th liner, but isn't that something the team needs too?  If he could provide some needed depth scoring, that's not a bad thing.

The problem is that he's the former 10th Overall pick and was projected to be much better than a 4th liner. I'm not saying I expect him to be a point per game player, but I'll be incredibly disappointed if he can't even be a 40 point player. He's not even that good defensively so you can't play him in a shutdown role either.

2 hours ago, BestOfTheWest said:

I think you misinterpreted what I said - I said "rare early contributions," as in it's going to be a few years before those guys are NHL ready, not that they can't be great players eventually.

Oh, I see what you mean now.  You are correct, then.  It usually takes a few years for lower-end draft picks to develop and mold but we have seen this method work with Detroit on multiple occasions.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

The problem is that he's the former 10th Overall pick and was projected to be much better than a 4th liner. I'm not saying I expect him to be a point per game player, but I'll be incredibly disappointed if he can't even be a 40 point player. He's not even that good defensively so you can't play him in a shutdown role either.

I think we need to take a new approach with Ritchie. I think I look at TOM Wilson this post season and that’s what I want from Ritchie. I’ll take a dumb penalty or a controversial hit if he’s banging bodies, playing rough. Ritchie has always been his best playing unleashed and watching him playing leashed is boring and unproductive 

14 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think we need to take a new approach with Ritchie. I think I look at TOM Wilson this post season and that’s what I want from Ritchie. I’ll take a dumb penalty or a controversial hit if he’s banging bodies, playing rough. Ritchie has always been his best playing unleashed and watching him playing leashed is boring and unproductive 

Tom Wilson is a great forechecker and plays the penalty kill for Washington. Ritchie is a liability defensively. He has a ways to go even before he can be considered a Tom Wilson. 

21 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Tom Wilson is a great forechecker and plays the penalty kill for Washington. Ritchie is a liability defensively. He has a ways to go even before he can be considered a Tom Wilson. 

I’m not saying he is TOM Wilson I’m saying he should be approached and coached like a Tom Wilson? He took a few years and a ton of penalties, but was never coached into the ground and leashed. Let him play his game and help him play his game, not try and make him play RC’s game which he’s done to multiple different players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

The 10th overall pick is a sunk cost now.  Sure, looking back it's a disappointment, but being the 10th overall pick means he has SOME skill.  If the Ducks are good enough up front to where Ritchie can play on the 3rd line and be a positive contributor, that's a win, even if it's not quite the win we were looking for.  That said, Ritchie still has work to do to get there.  More often than not last season he was invisible.  Which is hard to do for a guy Ritchie's size.

Ritchie only spent about half a season in the AHL then the rest up with the Ducks when he finally got out of juniors. Maybe he's playing the kind of game Carlyle wants him to play? Who knows? I just don't think giving up on a 22 year old that's just starting his career, that was bounced around the line up until he got a third line spot last season is the prudent move. He didn't pick himself at 10th, the Ducks did and projections are like weather forecasts. Of course I was frustrated with him this season (like I think most Ducks fan were) but he just needs time.

48 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Ritchie only spent about half a season in the AHL then the rest up with the Ducks when he finally got out of juniors. Maybe he's playing the kind of game Carlyle wants him to play? Who knows? I just don't think giving up on a 22 year old that's just starting his career, that was bounced around the line up until he got a third line spot last season is the prudent move. He didn't pick himself at 10th, the Ducks did and projections are like weather forecasts. Of course I was frustrated with him this season (like I think most Ducks fan were) but he just needs time.

If he's playing the kind of game Carlyle wants him to play, then Carlyle is even worse than I thought.  But I don't think even RC is that bad.  He sat Ritchie on occasion last season when he was having zero impact on games.  

That said, I'm also fine with giving Ritchie a cheap, "prove-it" contract and seeing what he can do.  I'm not opposed to keeping him around as a bottom 6 forward with some shooting ability.

Edited by gorbachav5

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m not saying he is TOM Wilson I’m saying he should be approached and coached like a Tom Wilson? He took a few years and a ton of penalties, but was never coached into the ground and leashed. Let him play his game and help him play his game, not try and make him play RC’s game which he’s done to multiple different players 

Point being that Wilson has skating that Ritchie doesn't, ergo that same coaching/style will not apply.

• Like 1