The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2018 NHL Draft

24 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that one of those defensemen is going to eventually be traded, especially if Larsson and/or Mahura pan out. The Ducks don't have room on the blueline and would be better served trying to flip their defense for some much needed offense. 

Also, the Ducks seemed to quietly fire assistant coach Steve Konowalchuk last night. 

Might be so, also depends on how quickly the forward prospects pan out and how GMBM manages the cap. E.g. trading one of the big contracts could (SHOULD) happen as well.

As far as the firing, that should have been the original one to begin with, and it should have been loud as the PP seriously sukked and that was his responsibility. 

Edited by DucksProg
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that one of those defensemen is going to eventually be traded, especially if Larsson and/or Mahura pan out. The Ducks don't have room on the blueline and would be better served trying to flip their defense for some much needed offense. 

Also, the Ducks seemed to quietly fire assistant coach Steve Konowalchuk last night. 

Surprised this didn't happen earlier. His powerplay schemes were worse than Lauer's. 

• Like 3

ROMAN DURNY
European Goalie - DES MOINES, USHL
FINAL RANK: 9 MIDTERM RANK:  
POSITION: Goalie CATCHES: Right
HEIGHT: 6' 2" WEIGHT: 201
BORN: May 28, 1998    
BORN IN: Liptovsky Mikulas, SVK
DRAFTED:

2018: ANA (5th Round / 147th Overall) 

Depth is the name of the game.

Strengthening the right pillars.

Late to the party, but I like the Ducks's draft so far. Lundstrom and Giroux both have top 6 center potential. Also Giroux's dad will probably be an NHL coach sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Surprised this didn't happen earlier. His powerplay schemes were worse than Lauer's. 

Me too. I don't know why they did this now. The re-arranging of deck chairs continues for now.

• Like 1

I have an idea. :lol::D
Stop that...I get good ideas once in a while.

Anyway, Does anyone else notice how awkward some of the interviews are with many of the youngsters drafted from Europe and Russia?
Of course, it is not their fault as their English is extremely limited in most cases.
It's not like a hockey player is going to give a great interview anyway but perhaps having an interpreter fluent in some of the languages spoken by the draftees...... Swedish, Russian, Finnish etc. might allow the kids to feel more comfortable and an actual decent interview might occur.

Decent draft overall for the Ducks. I like the direction it appears they are heading and thank goodness they took a year off from stocking up on young D men.

Edited by wataduk

HUNTER DREW
North American Skater - CHARLOTTETOWN, QMJHL
FINAL RANK:   MIDTERM RANK:  
POSITION: Defenseman SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6' 2" WEIGHT: 187
BORN: October 21, 1998    
BORN IN: Kingston, ON, CAN
DRAFTED: 2018: ANA (6th Round / 178th Overall) 

STATISTICS

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A P PIM
2017-2018 CHARLOTTETOWN QMJHL 64 8 31 39 159
2016-2017 CHARLOTTETOWN QMJHL 42 0 3 3 69

A good right handed blue line enforcer as the cherry on top!!! :D

• Like 1

Just now, DucksProg said:
HUNTER DREW
North American Skater - CHARLOTTETOWN, QMJHL
FINAL RANK:   MIDTERM RANK:  
POSITION: Defenseman SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6' 2" WEIGHT: 187
BORN: October 21, 1998    
BORN IN: Kingston, ON, CAN
DRAFTED: 2018: ANA (6th Round / 178th Overall) 

STATISTICS

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A P PIM
2017-2018 CHARLOTTETOWN QMJHL 64 8 31 39 159
2016-2017 CHARLOTTETOWN QMJHL 42 0 3 3 69

A good right handed blue line enforcer as the cherry on top!!! :D

Great work DP.
Thanks for posting the stats for the newbies.

11 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Great work DP.
Thanks for posting the stats for the newbies.

Sarcasm? :huh:

Anyhow it's mainly to point out a draft trend, which is over 100 PIMs per draftee :D

Edited by DucksProg
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, wataduk said:

I have an idea. :lol::D
Stop that...I get good ideas once in a while.

Anyway, Does anyone else notice how awkward some of the interviews are with many of the youngsters drafted from Europe and Russia?
Of course, it is not their fault as their English is extremely limited in most cases.
It's not like a hockey player is going to give a great interview anyway but perhaps having an interpreter fluent in some of the languages spoken by the draftees...... Swedish, Russian, Finnish etc. might allow the kids to feel more comfortable and an actual decent interview might occur.

Decent draft overall for the Ducks. I like the direction it appears they are heading and thank goodness they took a year off from stocking up on young D men.

I agree. Weird that they don’t have at least the option to have an interpreter. We as fans (and the players) would be able to get more out of what they are actually trying to say or want to say

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DuckFanDFW said:

I was referring to Dallas.

I worked as an usher the first five years the then Anaheim Arena was open, and came back for a few more after college. It goes back at least that far. It was more pronounced in the 2003 playoff series, but there'd be a handful of Stars fans in the building saying 'stars' all the way back to the 93-94 season.

28 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I agree. Weird that they don’t have at least the option to have an interpreter. We as fans (and the players) would be able to get more out of what they are actually trying to say or want to say

Wait......you agree with me?
That doesn't happen very often. :D

Half the time I don't think they even understand the questions but do their best to answer anyway.

And why didn't we get a Rasmus?
Three Rasmuses drafted and we didn't get a one?

Edited by wataduk

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Kings seem to like the Russians.

If we had finns instead of swedes... the Kings would be very afraid to enter our building. (/end obscure ww2 reference)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Half the time I don't think they even understand the questions but do their best to answer anyway.

It appeared his English comprehension is very good, and that he was frustrated with his english vocabulary. I may be projecting my own experiences with speaking a second language though ha ha.

10 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Reminds me of that time Kase got first Star in a game and And was asked this long question using very large words and you could visibly see the confusion

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Reminds me of that time Kase got first Star in a game and And was asked this long question using very large words and you could visibly see the confusion

LMAO I remember that well. You could see Ondrej's expression go from complete jubilation to WTF in like 0.2 seconds as JPL went on for about 30 seconds with her question. Kase had that look that the little girl in the back seat of the Lexus RX gets when the mom turns around and asks if she was excited for her new baby sister.

Edited by wataduk
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

I worked as an usher the first five years the then Anaheim Arena was open, and came back for a few more after college. It goes back at least that far. It was more pronounced in the 2003 playoff series, but there'd be a handful of Stars fans in the building saying 'stars' all the way back to the 93-94 season.

We must have met then since I was an usher too for them starting when they opened to about 97’

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

35654392_10155838769943472_2580867035240

We addressed our depth at center and in net during the two-day #NHLDraft in Dallas. Director of Professional/Amateur Scouting Martin Madden breaks it all down: http://bit.ly/MaddenDraftRecap

I always love the insight his recaps give, dude is top notch at his job, glad to have him.

Curious what crumbs the GMBM interview will offer.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

We must have met then since I was an usher too for them starting when they opened to about 97’

I was the guy that had the mustard yellow ford maverick. I started on the 400 level, but was usually on the 300 level after the first year or so.

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

35654392_10155838769943472_2580867035240

We addressed our depth at center and in net during the two-day #NHLDraft in Dallas. Director of Professional/Amateur Scouting Martin Madden breaks it all down: http://bit.ly/MaddenDraftRecap

Hmm... I wonder who the defenseman was that they were "really looking forward to".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poum said:

Hmm... I wonder who the defenseman was that they were "really looking forward to".

Me too. Still, better to not get a defenseman given the org's depth. If they'd missed on forwards they wanted, that would be a bad situation.

Well Let me say this but I want to see I am Happy with the 7 players our Ducks selected today and yesterday....Future is bright and certain areas of our Ducks need were address...Welcome to the Anaheim Ducks Isac Lundestrom,B.O Groulx,Blake Mclaughlin,Lukas Dostal,Jackson Prebix,Roman Durny and Hunter Drew. I am happy to see Center position and Goaltending area were strengthn with these picks of Ducks selecting 2 Goalies in later rounds.

Isac Lundestrom Pick imho was a Safe but Good Choice as is......54th Pick. Now all of you know I am from Halifax. And watching few games I wonder who will Ducks and hope they can select a Moosehead in first round or 2nd. Ducks Selecting BO is not only a Good Choice but a Great one...Give them time and I think Isac,BO and those in Ducks Draft class of 2018 will be perfect fit....FYI here is BO'S Stats. http://theqmjhl.ca/players/16474.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poum said:

There were 5 defensemen picked between Dostal and Perbix. One was Russian, so I think he was automatically dismissed. That leaves 2 RHD's and 2 LHD's. The 2 RHD's were Joey Keane and John St. Ivany (both American). The two LHD's were Stanislav Demin (yes American) and Xavier Bernard (Canadian). John St. Ivany was picked #112 just 4 ahead of Prebix so that might be the one. He is also from Manhattan Beach.

Edited by perry_mvp
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

There were 5 defensemen picked between Dostal and Perbix. One was Russian, so I think he was automatically dismissed. That leaves 2 RHD's and 2 LHD's. The 2 RHD's were Joey Keane and John St. Ivany (both American). The two LHD's were Stanislav Demin (yes American) and Xavier Bernard (Canadian). John St. Ivany was picked #112 just 4 ahead of Prebix so that might be the one. He is also from Manhattan Beach.

There was also a sixth D, a Swiss leftie, Nico Gross in that range and by what Madden said, I'm not sure he even means between the 3rd and 4th round :/ My initial thought was missing out on the D where they took McLaughlin and Dostal, so between Groulx and McLaughlin/Dostal. That leaves another 3 lefties (SWE, US, CAN) and 4 righties (SWE, 2xUS, CAN) in the mix. :wacko:

3 hours ago, DucksProg said:

There was also a sixth D, a Swiss leftie, Nico Gross in that range and by what Madden said, I'm not sure he even means between the 3rd and 4th round :/ My initial thought was missing out on the D where they took McLaughlin and Dostal, so between Groulx and McLaughlin/Dostal. That leaves another 3 lefties (SWE, US, CAN) and 4 righties (SWE, 2xUS, CAN) in the mix. :wacko:

Nothing wrong with mix of Lefts and Right there.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck