The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2018 NHL Draft

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Nothing wrong with mix of Lefts and Right there.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'm not sure you understand the topic of the conversation Moose, and I'm pretty sure I don't understand your response.
We are trying to find out who was the mystery D man the Ducks were targeting in the middle rounds but couldn't get.
It's not about the roster or the pipeline.

54 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Has anyone read BM’s comments at the draft? I don’t have access and can’t find it reported anywhere else. 

https://theathletic.com/405113/2018/06/23/bob-murray-says-ducks-status-quo-isnt-acceptable-vows-changes/

Could you please copy+paste the whole article? I don't want to subscribe, but am interested about what GMBM had to say.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DucksProg said:

Could you please copy+paste the whole article? I don't want to subscribe, but am interested about what GMBM had to say.

Please don't copy and paste the whole article.  I love free content and I personally haven't paid for The Athletic, but they've decided not to make their content free and I respect that.  Maybe copy a few key quotes but don't copy the whole thing.  The admins would probably take it down anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Please don't copy and paste the whole article.  I love free content and I personally haven't paid for The Athletic, but they've decided not to make their content free and I respect that.  Maybe copy a few key quotes but don't copy the whole thing.  The admins would probably take it down anyway.

Okay, I can accept your point, key quotes or an abstract would be much appreciated though!

1 hour ago, DucksProg said:

I don't subscribe either but was hoping someone could give the highlights. Since it requires a paid subscription,  I wouldn't share the entire article even if I could. With that being said, it would be nice if someone from the O.C. Register interviewed BM to get some comments. I'm hoping we're not going to have to rely on a paid subscription to get in depth news this season. The one comment I did read said BM mentioned the players "on and off the ice." 

Edited by DuckFan4Life

32 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't subscribe either but was hoping someone could give the highlights. Since it requires a paid subscription,  I wouldn't share the entire article even if I could. With that being said, it would be nice if someone from the O.C. Register interviewed BM to get some comments. I'm hoping we're not going to have to rely on a paid subscription to get in depth news this season. The one comment I did read said BM mentioned the players "on and off the ice." 

I'll give you the highlights:

- Konowalchuk is gone - "I just felt we....changes have to be made"

- Murray has already started working on the contracts for Montour, Ritchie, Kase, Gibson, Henreique, Silfverberg. He wants to keep all of them if possible but will see if he is able to fit them all in. He said "I'm hoping to have more news next week" - so we could see some contact announcements pretty soon. He said that the top priority is Gibson.

- He said that they cannot continue with the 'status quo', particularly referring to the leadership group. He indicated that he is trying to make changes but that it has been more difficult that he thought. It seems like he is referring specifically to Perry here - he might have been trying to move him but hasn't found any deals."I think the players better look in the mirror pretty quick....come September I'm starting with a real hard look at the leadership group....I'd like to make some change". He indicated that there has been lots of "Tire kicking" between GMs but he thinks that a lot of them are waiting to see where Tavares and Carlson end up before making any big moves.

- He spoke about how the salary cap didn't increase as much as they thought it would, and 'we weren't expecting exactly that'. He didn't indicate whether this was because they intend to spend to the cap, or whether they were hoping for a larger cap so that it would be easier to do things like move Perry's contract to another team.

- Stephens asked about the Elliotte Friedman report that said Kesler couldn't play next season and Murray said "he's fishing" but then went on to say that "Kes has come out and said to a few people that if he feels as bad as he did this year he doesn't know if he can play anymore". He also said he spoke with Kes recently and "He thinks its getting better" and he said "I feel like an athlete again". So basically Kes is still a big question mark.

- The comment from Murray you are referring to was at the end - he said "things have to change, on and off the ice". He didn't really go into any more specifics.

That's all the main points.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

- Murray has already started working on the contracts for Montour, Ritchie, Kase, Gibson, Henreique, Silfverberg. He wants to keep all of them if possible but will see if he is able to fit them all in. He said "I'm hoping to have more news next week" - so we could see some contact announcements pretty soon. He said that the top priority is Gibson.

- He said that they cannot continue with the 'status quo', particularly referring to the leadership group. He indicated that he is trying to make changes but that it has been more difficult that he thought. It seems like he is referring specifically to Perry here - he might have been trying to move him but hasn't found any deals."I think the players better look in the mirror pretty quick....come September I'm starting with a real hard look at the leadership group....I'd like to make some change". He indicated that there has been lots of "Tire kicking" between GMs but he thinks that a lot of them are waiting to see where Tavares and Carlson end up before making any big moves.

- He spoke about how the salary cap didn't increase as much as they thought it would, and 'we weren't expecting exactly that'. He didn't indicate whether this was because they intend to spend to the cap, or whether they were hoping for a larger cap so that it would be easier to do things like move Perry's contract to another team.

- Stephens asked about the Elliotte Friedman report that said Kesler couldn't play next season and Murray said "he's fishing" but then went on to say that "Kes has come out and said to a few people that if he feels as bad as he did this year he doesn't know if he can play anymore". He also said he spoke with Kes recently and "He thinks its getting better" and he said "I feel like an athlete again". So basically Kes is still a big question mark.

I just managed to get my hands on the article, but nieder was quickest. 
This is basically it.

His priorities are Gibson, current RFAs and adressing the middle (contingency plan for Kesler I guess). A key to solving most issues could be a shake up in a form of trading one of the big contracts, but as mentioned, the Tavares and Carlson dominos have to fall first.

My 2 cents, GMBM is nearing the point to of it being a no-nonsense situation and make that trade happen as the team is increasingly held hostage by those big contracts, especially Perry's, who was neither injured, nor has he been performing up to it for a while. Since taking back a Dehydrated Donkey Dungty contract wouldn't really solve the core of the problem, it may cost the Ducks some prospects, picks or other players involved. I would think our absolute best prospects, Steel, Comtois and Larsson, as well as the current haul are untouchable, but I could see a Jones, Terry, Pettersson, Welinski plus from the roster Ritchie or Silvferberg traded along with the big prize and pick(s).

Referring to the leadership group would include Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. We all know Perry hasn't been performing and Kesler has been hurt. I don't understand why Kesler would go around telling people he may not play again when he has months before he would have to make that decision and at a time when BM will be trying to negotiate a deal with another player/team. Making a public statement puts BM in a tough position trying to pick up a center when teams know that Kesler may not play next year. 

He mentioned the "look in the mirror" comment before and the only player he moved was Maroon.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Referring to the leadership group would include Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. We all know Perry hasn't been performing and Kesler has been hurt. I don't understand why Kesler would go around telling people he may not play again when he has months before he would have to make that decision and at a time when BM will be trying to negotiate a deal with another player/team. Making a public statement puts BM in a tough position trying to pick up a center when teams know that Kesler may not play next year. 

He mentioned the "look in the mirror" comment before and the only player he moved was Maroon.

***sigh*** maybe this is part of the reason Bob is not that great on most trade negotiations with other GMs. There are some GMs who are great at trading with other GMs then there are others that though they are goid in other categories they just don’t cut it when trading and prefer to just sign free agents without ever having to deal with another Gm on the other end 

5 hours ago, DucksProg said:

I just managed to get my hands on the article, but nieder was quickest. 
This is basically it.

His priorities are Gibson, current RFAs and adressing the middle (contingency plan for Kesler I guess). A key to solving most issues could be a shake up in a form of trading one of the big contracts, but as mentioned, the Tavares and Carlson dominos have to fall first.

My 2 cents, GMBM is nearing the point to of it being a no-nonsense situation and make that trade happen as the team is increasingly held hostage by those big contracts, especially Perry's, who was neither injured, nor has he been performing up to it for a while. Since taking back a Dehydrated Donkey Dungty contract wouldn't really solve the core of the problem, it may cost the Ducks some prospects, picks or other players involved. I would think our absolute best prospects, Steel, Comtois and Larsson, as well as the current haul are untouchable, but I could see a Jones, Terry, Pettersson, Welinski plus from the roster Ritchie or Silvferberg traded along with the big prize and pick(s).

Uhhh....He didn't get healthy scratched 11 games or get an 11 game suspended last time I checked.

This narrative needs to die. Perry isn't going anywhere for the forseeable near future.

10 hours ago, DucksProg said:

I'm not sure you understand the topic of the conversation Moose, and I'm pretty sure I don't understand your response.
We are trying to find out who was the mystery D man the Ducks were targeting in the middle rounds but couldn't get.
It's not about the roster or the pipeline.

Sorry......But imho I have good feeling who the Mystery D man is Ducks were Targetting in Middle Rounds.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

16 hours ago, DucksProg said:

There was also a sixth D, a Swiss leftie, Nico Gross in that range and by what Madden said, I'm not sure he even means between the 3rd and 4th round :/ My initial thought was missing out on the D where they took McLaughlin and Dostal, so between Groulx and McLaughlin/Dostal. That leaves another 3 lefties (SWE, US, CAN) and 4 righties (SWE, 2xUS, CAN) in the mix. :wacko:

My bad for missing Nico Gross. IF they wanted that mystery defenseman that bad they could have drafted him though, unless it was before the 23rd pick that is.

@nieder- thanks for posting that.

Isn't this this same old Murray rhetoric though? Always trying to deflect the fire away from him and play the blame game. He's the one making the deals and putting the team together and he's the one that goes out and hires the same coach he fired just a few seasons before. If RC had won a cup in Toronto and was the "hot coach" to get then yeah, I could see hiring him back but he wasn't. The lack of leadership starts at the top. Bob better "look in the mirror" himself first before suggesting other people do.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Isn't this this same old Murray rhetoric though? Always trying to deflect the fire away from him and play the blame game. He's the one making the deals and putting the team together and he's the one that goes out and hires the same coach he fired just a few seasons before. If RC had won a cup in Toronto and was the "hot coach" to get then yeah, I could see hiring him back but he wasn't. The lack of leadership starts at the top. Bob better "look in the mirror" himself first before suggesting other people do.

I don’t really get throwing your players under the bus. Getzlaf and Perry aren’t the only ones to blame, blame your coach for playing Kesler 3x more than he should have, the entire team looked like a trash heap. It’s not “leadership” that’s too blame. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

IF things don't go well once Puck Drops for 25th Anniversay season. Then we know who to blame. To me Bob Knows IF he maybe the next on the chopping block.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/22/2018 at 5:11 PM, wataduk said:

Damn, was hoping to see Brady Tkachuk go to a Western team (Arizona).
Would have loved to have seen some Tkachuk on Tkachuk action 5 times a year.

ew gross.

18 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t really get throwing your players under the bus. Getzlaf and Perry aren’t the only ones to blame, blame your coach for playing Kesler 3x more than he should have, the entire team looked like a trash heap. It’s not “leadership” that’s too blame. 

Leadership at the top needs to accountable.....RC needs to change strategy if not he should be Called out...as do BM. When was the LAST TIME a Trade impact our team?....High Time Ducks need one NOW.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Leadership at the top needs to accountable.....RC needs to change strategy if not he should be Called out...as do BM. When was the LAST TIME a Trade impact our team?....High Time Ducks need one NOW.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

With the number of ufa's and rfas already on the team that need resigning, I don't think there is enough cap space to sign a true "impact" player.  If you trade for that player you have to give someone of value up, if you sign a UFA  type of player that would be an "Impact" player would cost in the neighborhood $8M or higher plus term depending on the player. I don't think the money is there even if the Ducks wanted to sign someone.

Just now, Shadowduck said:

With the number of ufa's and rfas already on the team that need resigning, I don't think there is enough cap space to sign a true "impact" player.  If you trade for that player you have to give someone of value up, if you sign a UFA  type of player that would be an "Impact" player would cost in the neighborhood $8M or higher plus term depending on the player. I don't think the money is there even if the Ducks wanted to sign someone.

So Ducks are stuck with "Develope within" Strategy now.....Develope as in grooming the Young Guns to start.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, nieder said:

- The comment from Murray you are referring to was at the end - he said "things have to change, on and off the ice". He didn't really go into any more specifics.

Ug.  Notice no mention of Grant.

"Leadership group" is fairly amorphous.  If we're being inclusive, it's Getz, Perry, maybe Kesler, maybe Cam, maybe Bieksa, maybe Vermette, maybe Cogs, and if we're stretching, maybe Rakel and Hampus and Silf.  If we're being restrictive, then we're talking Getz and Perry, and maybe Kesler.  I'm neglecting completely whether he's referring to coaching.... 

I'm guessing like everyone else that he's targeting Perry.  Maybe Kesler too, but unclear.  On and off the ice would either refer to players getting fit in the off season or to coaches being swapped around... and I'm leaning towards coaching, and that this is aimed at RC.

Here's the deal, though.  I think both Perry and Kesler are untradeable, for a variety of reasons.  So, maybe BM is talking about changing their duties.  Specifically, moving Perry to the 4th line and Kes to the 3rd, or similar.

Alternatively, if he was talking very expansively about the leadership group, maybe we're seeing him trying to push Cogs and SIlf to convert their speed into goals.  Both had issues this past season, not all of which could be hung on Kesler's recovery process.

I'm pretty sad about Grant.

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

Ug.  Notice no mention of Grant.

"Leadership group" is fairly amorphous.  If we're being inclusive, it's Getz, Perry, maybe Kesler, maybe Cam, maybe Bieksa, maybe Vermette, maybe Cogs, and if we're stretching, maybe Rakel and Hampus and Silf.  If we're being restrictive, then we're talking Getz and Perry, and maybe Kesler.  I'm neglecting completely whether he's referring to coaching.... 

I'm guessing like everyone else that he's targeting Perry.  Maybe Kesler too, but unclear.  On and off the ice would either refer to players getting fit in the off season or to coaches being swapped around... and I'm leaning towards coaching, and that this is aimed at RC.

Here's the deal, though.  I think both Perry and Kesler are untradeable, for a variety of reasons.  So, maybe BM is talking about changing their duties.  Specifically, moving Perry to the 4th line and Kes to the 3rd, or similar.

Alternatively, if he was talking very expansively about the leadership group, maybe we're seeing him trying to push Cogs and SIlf to convert their speed into goals.  Both had issues this past season, not all of which could be hung on Kesler's recovery process.

I'm pretty sad about Grant.

The Ducks have 7 UFAs. Of the 7, I read somewhere that Grant is one the Ducks hope to resign. I’ve also read that some fans want Brown resigned but I don’t believed he contributed enough to prevent one of the young guys being given an opportunity. 

It has also been reported that the Ducks will let Vermette walk and I’ll assume Kelly, Chimera, and Boll. I will also assume Bieksa won’t be back but if he is, I don’t see him getting paid more that $1.5M. If none of the above are resigned, you have $9.25M to spend. That doesn’t include Brown who I think may get resigned at his current $1.25 but even if he isn’t, it would be used for his replacement (Winnik?). It also doesn’t include Boll’s $900k which can be given to Grant in addition to his $650k. 

The only RFAs I see getting a decent raise are Montour and Kase  Ritchie was given an offer that he should accept given his performance. 

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

The Ducks have 7 UFAs. Of the 7, I read somewhere that Grant is one the Ducks hope to resign. I’ve also read that some fans want Brown resigned but I don’t believed he contributed enough to prevent one of the young guys being given an opportunity. 

It has also been reported that the Ducks will let Vermette walk and I’ll assume Kelly, Chimera, and Boll. I will also assume Bieksa won’t be back but if he is, I don’t see him getting paid more that $1.5M. If none of the above are resigned, you have $9.25M to spend. That doesn’t include Brown who I think may get resigned at his current $1.25 but even if he isn’t, it would be used for his replacement (Winnik?). It also doesn’t include Boll’s $900k which can be given to Grant in addition to his $650k. 

The only RFAs I see getting a decent raise are Montour and Kase  Ritchie was given an offer that he should accept given his performance. 

Don't be surprise As I do Ducks will have them resigned...JT Brown who knows I think Ducks will reach out to him as for Grant I hope he is patient and Ducks resigned before another Team signs him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Yesterday I went and found some articles about the Ducks 2003 draft...just to get some perspective and learn how in the hell we got Getzlaf and Perry...15 years ago I was a lot younger so I didn't really pay attention to the ins and outs of the draft. It was super interesting!

I guess both were ranked higher leading up to the draft, but Getzlaf dropped due to some thinking he had a "reckless abandon with driving to the front of the net" and was a poor skater. While Perry dropped due to a lackluster, "doesn't care" attitude in the prospects game, and also poor skating. I guess the Ducks assumed they wouldn't get Getzlaf so they didn't even bother talking to him! And then when he dropped, they obviously weren't going to let that player pass them by. And once they got him, they scrambled to get Perry asap and kept offering 2 2nd round draft picks to the highest bidder so they could grab Perry. Even with the poor skating and "attitude" issue, they saw how competitive he can be and what he did with his body and long arms to make up for the skating.

One article even went as far as to say they can't think of a better 1-2 punch for a team in a draft. Sure the Canucks got the Sedins 2nd and 3rd but...they never won a cup with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Yesterday I went and found some articles about the Ducks 2003 draft...just to get some perspective and learn how in the hell we got Getzlaf and Perry...15 years ago I was a lot younger so I didn't really pay attention to the ins and outs of the draft. It was super interesting!

I guess both were ranked higher leading up to the draft, but Getzlaf dropped due to some thinking he had a "reckless abandon with driving to the front of the net" and was a poor skater. While Perry dropped due to a lackluster, "doesn't care" attitude in the prospects game, and also poor skating. I guess the Ducks assumed they wouldn't get Getzlaf so they didn't even bother talking to him! And then when he dropped, they obviously weren't going to let that player pass them by. And once they got him, they scrambled to get Perry asap and kept offering 2 2nd round draft picks to the highest bidder so they could grab Perry. Even with the poor skating and "attitude" issue, they saw how competitive he can be and what he did with his body and long arms to make up for the skating.

One article even went as far as to say they can't think of a better 1-2 punch for a team in a draft. Sure the Canucks got the Sedins 2nd and 3rd but...they never won a cup with them.

Thanks for this. Nice little mini article you put together. I never knew all this. These 2 jerseys (when time comes) should be lifted to the rafters

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Thanks for this. Nice little mini article you put together. I never knew all this. These 2 jerseys (when time comes) should be lifted to the rafters

Thanks!! Yeah, I found it all really fascinating. Also, apparently the rangers were the ones Getzlaf thought were gonna pick him (due to them literally saying "if you're available, we're taking you" lol). But for whatever reason went for someone named Hugh Jessiman...like...one of the only first round players to be a bust from that year lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Hmmmm the article You read...sounds simliar to one I read few years back...

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck