The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2018 NHL Draft

26 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Hmmmm the article You read...sounds simliar to one I read few years back...

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

It probably was! I went looking for as old as I could find haha in hopes of finding somewhere an archive of an article from 2003.

23 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

It probably was! I went looking for as old as I could find haha in hopes of finding somewhere an archive of an article from 2003.

What was the name of the article back then of the archive?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I know I'm late on this but I wanted to take time to digest the draft a little bit.  Overall, I liked what Madden and Co. did with the picks as Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler are heading towards the twilight of their careers so, it would have behooved of them not to take strong centers that can play the 1st and 2nd line C roles in case if Steel doesn't work out.  Lundestrom's already ahead of the game since he's playing full-time in Lulea with and against former and fringe NHL players and he's only 18!  It would be a safe bet to keep him there until he's 20 and then give him 1-2 years in the AHL to adjust to the smaller ice-rink and a more physical play-style.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the next WJC when he's playing with kids his age.

13 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

What was the name of the article back then of the archive?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Never found one lol I only found ones from a few years back talking about how amazing the 2003 draft was

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Never found one lol I only found ones from a few years back talking about how amazing the 2003 draft was

I imagine what the scouts and analysts were saying about that draft before the draft itself came around.  I know it's easy to look at it from hind-sight but I imagine that 2003 draft class was just like any other draft.  I think the X-factor behind the successes of a majority of those players were the fact that the NHL took a year off (2004-2005 lockout).  That draft class had an extra year to ripe.  WIthout the lockout, I think the overall crop of that draft class would have been different.

Edited by Rooch20

On 6/23/2018 at 1:13 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

Reminds me of that time Kase got first Star in a game and And was asked this long question using very large words and you could visibly see the confusion

I was confused.

13 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

I imagine what the scouts and analysts were saying about that draft before the draft itself came around.  I know it's easy to look at it from hind-sight but I imagine that 2003 draft class was just like any other draft.  I think the X-factor behind the successes of a majority of those players were the fact that the NHL took a year off (2004-2005 lockout).  That draft class had an extra year to ripe.  WIthout the lockout, I think the overall crop of that draft class would have been different.

I'm sure it played into it a bit, but back then players were not making the jump to the NHL nearly as fast as they are today (that lockout changed the fiscal dynamics of the game which led to younger players making the jump earlier). That draft class was a monster no matter how you look at it...

Edited by ZTHER

45 minutes ago, ZTHER said:

I'm sure it played into it a bit, but back then players were not making the jump to the NHL nearly as fast as they are today (that lockout changed the fiscal dynamics of the game which led to younger players making the jump earlier). That draft class was a monster no matter how you look at it...

That would have been my draft class, too...if...I could skate...or played and practiced hockey every day....and...was taller...and...had more muscle...and...was talented in any way in regards to hockey.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh well at least we know our Ducks were bless to take 2 Top rate Guys back then.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5.8.2018 at 0:03 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

I ask me, why you sign players who you know, that they will not plays next year in the NHL or AHL!? I don't understand this.... or is he NHL-ready?!

i was thinking the same thing, when i saw the news. My thinking is the Ducks think that he could beat out someone. we might also have a few holes to fill the first couple of weeks of the season, as probably no Kase or Ritchie. Or theres a trade coming soon, where he could be slotted on the second line.

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I ask me, why you sign players who you know, that they will not plays next year in the NHL or AHL!? I don't understand this.... or is he NHL-ready?!

Entry level slide. The contract won't kick in until he plays 10 NHL games. If he doesn't do that in the next 2 seasons his contract will start in the 2020-2021 season. Safer just to sign him if you think he's likely going to be an NHL level player in the next few years, avoids a Justin Schultz (yuck) situation.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Heard that too...But Ducks have made Offical announcement.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

From the article above:

The deal also has a European clause, meaning he can return to Europe if he’s not playing in the NHL. Because the 18-year-old is not a polished player, it might take a few years for him before he’s ready for an NHL role, hence the European clause.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

From the article above:

The deal also has a European clause, meaning he can return to Europe if he’s not playing in the NHL. Because the 18-year-old is not a polished player, it might take a few years for him before he’s ready for an NHL role, hence the European clause.

I would assume that having a contract in place means that the Ducks can now make decisions for him on where he should play in order to maximize his development. No contract means he gets to do whatever he wants. With a contract, he needs team clearance to play in tournaments or for other organizations (like in Europe). It's simply a way to protect their investment (of a draft pick).

There's also the rule about unsigned draft picks going back into the draft. That's how we got Freddy Andersen, right? He was drafted by Carolina in 2010 but wasn't signed within two years so he went back into the draft in 2012 where we got him. So even if the player isn't NHL ready, if you think he's going to be an NHL player its best to lock him up with an ELC as soon as possible.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, nieder said:

Entry level slide. The contract won't kick in until he plays 10 NHL games. If he doesn't do that in the next 2 seasons his contract will start in the 2020-2021 season. Safer just to sign him if you think he's likely going to be an NHL level player in the next few years, avoids a Justin Schultz (yuck) situation.

Ducks announce the signing of 2018 top draft pick Isac Lundestrom to a three-year entry-level contract. He's expected to remain in Sweden this season and fulfill his contract with Lulea.

42 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Ducks announce the signing of 2018 top draft pick Isac Lundestrom to a three-year entry-level contract. He's expected to remain in Sweden this season and fulfill his contract with Lulea.

Yeah. So his contract won’t kick in for another year at least. Really not much downside to signing him now. 

So it's Offical Lundestrom has sign 3 year ELC....makes me think Ducks have some faith in him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

14 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

So it's Offical Lundestrom has sign 3 year ELC....makes me think Ducks have some faith in him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Obviously, there's a reason for Bob Murray's brain-trust to take him over other candidates.  TSN, Sportsnet, and even NBC thinks he's nothing more than a 2-way, "do-everything" centerman.  I think he's got a lot of untapped offensive skills that nobody really paid attention to.

32 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

Obviously, there's a reason for Bob Murray's brain-trust to take him over other candidates.  TSN, Sportsnet, and even NBC thinks he's nothing more than a 2-way, "do-everything" centerman.  I think he's got a lot of untapped offensive skills that nobody really paid attention to.

The descriptions of Lundestrom are very similar to the descriptions of Rakell when the Ducks drafted him, so I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

They probaly saw something in Isac that they feel he is right choice to wear the Ducks D.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

The descriptions of Lundestrom are very similar to the descriptions of Rakell when the Ducks drafted him, so I'm optimistic.

The biggest question here is How patient will the Ducks' front-office staff be with his development?  It took Rakell a bit to figure out he's an offensive dynamo.  Even longer with Karlsson.