The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

13 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Rumor has it Nylander is the odd man out.

Not surprised at all. Id still say take a swing for him...but not with sacrificing our #6...they need D...give them the D!

29 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Not surprised at all. Id still say take a swing for him...but not with sacrificing our #6...they need D...give them the D!

i have a visceral negative response to Nylander.  perhaps it's irrational, but i would not spend strong assets to get him.  pure cash, i'd be willing to take a chance, or maybe a Larsson?  not anything i care about, that's for certain.

7 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i have a visceral negative response to Nylander.  perhaps it's irrational, but i would not spend strong assets to get him.  pure cash, i'd be willing to take a chance, or maybe a Larsson?  not anything i care about, that's for certain.

I hear ya, ive felt that too...but I see some really talented things and definitely a talent we don't have on our team right now...and think if he's looked at as THE scorer, he'll step up...maybe. I dunno haha there could be maturity issues...that maybe Getz could beat out of him. I'd be fine with just giving Larsson lol but yeah, I do see what you're talking about

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

How bout Kapenen?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

48 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

How bout Kapenen?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

eh I don't notice him as much and don't know much about him...looking at his stats I'd still rather have Nylander than Kapenen. I think we need a forward who can do a little more with little than someone who seems to be more of a complimentary player if you get what i mean. But I don't know much about him but if we are looking to make a big splash, Kapenen doesn't seem to be it to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

eh I don't notice him as much and don't know much about him...looking at his stats I'd still rather have Nylander than Kapenen. I think we need a forward who can do a little more with little than someone who seems to be more of a complimentary player if you get what i mean. But I don't know much about him but if we are looking to make a big splash, Kapenen doesn't seem to be it to me.

price is right, age is right, seems he gets 30+ points per season (though look at his linemates)...  Kapenen might be part of a rebuild, but not a cornerstone.  Larsson for him in a hot second.  If we got him and Nylander, I'd be willing to ship at least Manson and Larsson.  

based on his contract and performance, i don't think he's on offer from Toronto.  

29 minutes ago, Fisix said:

price is right, age is right, seems he gets 30+ points per season (though look at his linemates)...  Kapenen might be part of a rebuild, but not a cornerstone.  Larsson for him in a hot second.  If we got him and Nylander, I'd be willing to ship at least Manson and Larsson.  

based on his contract and performance, i don't think he's on offer from Toronto.  

I’d flip Larsson for Kapanen all day and twice on Sunday, but as a key piece for a big move no. I think if you can grab Nylander AND Kapanen, I think that does a lot for the team. Faster and more offensively talented. 

18 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’d flip Larsson for Kapanen all day and twice on Sunday, but as a key piece for a big move no. I think if you can grab Nylander AND Kapanen, I think that does a lot for the team. Faster and more offensively talented. 

if they played what they're paid, it'd be a distinct upgrade to what we can put on the ice right now.  

7 hours ago, Fisix said:

if they played what they're paid, it'd be a distinct upgrade to what we can put on the ice right now.  

Nylander has been largely great, other than his shortened hold out year. I have full confidence in Nylander’s ability. Kapanen I’m not so high on, but scoring depth isn’t nothing. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:16 AM, Jasoaks said:

I don't think Getz is done after his contract is up. I imagine he's resigning and he'll still have more to give. I get the sense he's gonna be playing till his late 30s (and hopefully with us) and being a great leader and mentor to the team as he takes a lesser role on the ice. Legs are the first things to go...he's still gonna have some great hands to provide us.

If a great, young player is available now...I've always been on the side of it does not matter where you are in the standings, you take a swing for him (if he fills something you need). You don't wait till you're in some "cup window" to THEN grab pieces...how else are you going to get into a cup window? And there's no guarantee a player so capable of moving the needle will be available when the rest of the team is.

And I do mean young like under 25. Not talking like Tavares or Karlsson being available in their primes.

If Marner is on the trading block...we better be taking a swing.

Agree. I think Getzlaf has about 3 years left in the tank and to contribute. Hopefully, those are all with the Ducks.

I don't think that you have to wait until you are in your cup window before taking big trade swings, but that you need to have the pieces in place that can at least crack it open. If we had say a Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser already, then it's a completely different conversation, IMO. The Ducks just don't have those pieces yet nor do they have an excess of assets to add a Nylander or Marner while not really harming their ability to upgrade their prospect pool. If we had 3 first round picks like Ottawa and New Jersey or LA's picks/prospect pool, then it's be much easier to absorb the trade cost at least. 

I'd love to trade for an Eichel, Marner, Nylander, but just want to make sure that we have a roster in place that can utilize their talent before we do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agree. I think Getzlaf has about 3 years left in the tank and to contribute. Hopefully, those are all with the Ducks.

I don't think that you have to wait until you are in your cup window before taking big trade swings, but that you need to have the pieces in place that can at least crack it open. If we had say a Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser already, then it's a completely different conversation, IMO. The Ducks just don't have those pieces yet nor do they have an excess of assets to add a Nylander or Marner while not really harming their ability to upgrade their prospect pool. If we had 3 first round picks like Ottawa and New Jersey or LA's picks/prospect pool, then it's be much easier to absorb the trade cost at least. 

I'd love to trade for an Eichel, Marner, Nylander, but just want to make sure that we have a roster in place that can utilize their talent before we do.

Yeah, I hear ya. That makes sense.

I guess in my constant hopeful perspective...first fire the assistants and bring in new ones...then I want us to grab a Nylander with some D trades...sign Pietrangelo...draft someone great...have Zegras make good progress...survive the expansion draft...maybe get another high pick...and then from that moment on...be that team ready to make strides. 21/22 should be our year where we'll be back in the playoffs making a push!! :D 

Oh and if we can make some deal to get Suzuki or Kontkaniemi...I wouldn't mind lol

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I hear ya. That makes sense.

I guess in my constant hopeful perspective...first fire the assistants and bring in new ones...then I want us to grab a Nylander with some D trades...sign Pietrangelo...draft someone great...have Zegras make good progress...survive the expansion draft...maybe get another high pick...and then from that moment on...be that team ready to make strides. 21/22 should be our year where we'll be back in the playoffs making a push!! :D 

Oh and if we can make some deal to get Suzuki or Kontkaniemi...I wouldn't mind lol

I am not worried about the expansion draft at all really and that the Ducks are going to get a much needed player at #6. Maybe Murray tries to move up to the middle of the first round and can add another solid piece. So, we should be more optimistic after the draft as far as the talent pool. My hope is that after the 2022 draft the Ducks will have at least have their core pieces in place and can then start pushing for the playoffs. Next season will still be interesting to watch in seeing how Terry, Jones, Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom develop and obviously how Zegras does.

Suzuki has been so strong these playoffs and Kotkaniemi is starting to find his game. Could be the future 1-2 punch down the middle for the Habs, so I think our chances of landing one of them is even less remote now lol

On 8/15/2020 at 3:29 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Suzuki has been so strong these playoffs and Kotkaniemi is starting to find his game. Could be the future 1-2 punch down the middle for the Habs, so I think our chances of landing one of them is even less remote now lol

Yeah Suzuki aint going anywhere haha he's really really stepping up in these playoffs....it'll be a good 1-2 punch for the Canadians for a while...

• Like 1

I think Holtby/Lehner end up in Edmonton/Calgary...some combo of that...Markstrom I would think is gonna resign in Vancouver...there's no way they let him walk without trying at least...and with how they're playing right now, I can't see why either would want to part ways...can't believe he's not signed yet.

I think Crawford stays in Chicago...maybe he goes to a team in need of a back-up...maybe he comes to Anaheim if Miller doesn't re-sign/does resign.

woah! so weird trades can happen during the playoffs....but I guess that makes sense?

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-acquire-kasperi-kapanen-from-toronto-maple-leafs-in-six-player-deal/c-318740352?tid=278542340

I can kinda see how this makes sense... but Pittsburgh already has one of the weakest prospects pool, so getting rid of the 15th pick in THIS draft seems like that just got worse...but I guess they're looking at win now with Crosby/Malkin. Good thing they got Aberg!! Our lord and savior.

And the Pens did say they'll be trading a goalie (probably Murray IMO......) so this is probably just step 1 of big changes for them.

The leafs get the 15th pick which is good, but that doesn't really help them now on D...so, I also wouldn't be surprised to see this as a Step 1 of things to come...they did get Warsovsky...who is a defenseman...but I have no clue how good he is or if that helps

43 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

woah! so weird trades can happen during the playoffs....but I guess that makes sense?

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-acquire-kasperi-kapanen-from-toronto-maple-leafs-in-six-player-deal/c-318740352?tid=278542340

I can kinda see how this makes sense... but Pittsburgh already has one of the weakest prospects pool, so getting rid of the 15th pick in THIS draft seems like that just got worse...but I guess they're looking at win now with Crosby/Malkin. Good thing they got Aberg!! Our lord and savior.

And the Pens did say they'll be trading a goalie (probably Murray IMO......) so this is probably just step 1 of big changes for them.

The leafs get the 15th pick which is good, but that doesn't really help them now on D...so, I also wouldn't be surprised to see this as a Step 1 of things to come...they did get Warsovsky...who is a defenseman...but I have no clue how good he is or if that helps

Agreed. Pittsburgh is trying to win now while they still have a chance with Crosby and Malkin. They killed their already weak prospect pool earlier in the year when they traded for Zucker. Toronto could could flip that pick also but they still need to clear up some more cap space. If they want to add a defensemen and round out their roster. 

We can put an end to the Kapanen to the Ducks spitballing though lol

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agreed. Pittsburgh is trying to win now while they still have a chance with Crosby and Malkin. They killed their already weak prospect pool earlier in the year when they traded for Zucker. Toronto could could flip that pick also but they still need to clear up some more cap space. If they want to add a defensemen and round out their roster. 

We can put an end to the Kapanen to the Ducks spitballing though lol

There’s always a GM willing to make a stupid trade for a player I want lol. Can’t believe the massive overpayment, especially considering what Kase fetched for us. Looking at you BM

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

There’s always a GM willing to make a stupid trade for a player I want lol. Can’t believe the massive overpayment, especially considering what Kase fetched for us. Looking at you BM

Very good point. 97 points in 204 games for Kase and 90 in 202 for Kapanen. I’d argue that Kase is the slightly better player but his injury history and the fact that Kapanen has the clout of being a first round pick inflates his value.

Barclay Goodrow getting a first round pick for SJ still rattles me and made me throw my hands up even higher with Murray. The only silver lining is the Ducks will be a lottery team for a couple of more seasons, especially with Murray as GM. I just hope Murray doesn’t trade Rakell for Jack Johnson or something similarly stupid in the mean time lol

7 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Very good point. 97 points in 204 games for Kase and 90 in 202 for Kapanen. I’d argue that Kase is the slightly better player but his injury history and the fact that Kapanen has the clout of being a first round pick inflates his value.

Barclay Goodrow getting a first round pick for SJ still rattles me and made me throw my hands up even higher with Murray. The only silver lining is the Ducks will be a lottery team for a couple of more seasons, especially with Murray as GM. I just hope Murray doesn’t trade Rakell for Jack Johnson or something similarly stupid in the mean time lol

I think Backes is gonna be a decent addition, metrics had him being a good fourth line center for us, but if Kapanen can fetch a first on his own, why couldn’t we get more. I have to assume it’s name recognition and injury history, but Kase is a better player. Another frustrating trade of a young player who might be very good for the team who has him. 

23 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Barclay Goodrow getting a first round pick for SJ still rattles me and made me throw my hands up even higher with Murray

This. Exactly. How Goodrow got a 1st....and Derek Grant gets a 4th?!!??! Tampa would be better with Grant than Goodrow....ugh....what happened there!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think Backes is gonna be a decent addition, metrics had him being a good fourth line center for us, but if Kapanen can fetch a first on his own, why couldn’t we get more. I have to assume it’s name recognition and injury history, but Kase is a better player. Another frustrating trade of a young player who might be very good for the team who has him. 

Yeah. Like we said, Kapanen doesn’t have the injury history and has the recognition that comes with being a first round pick. Backes only has one year left and we still did Boston a massive favor taking 75% of his contract and giving them Kase for what we got in return, all things considered, imo.

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

This. Exactly. How Goodrow got a 1st....and Derek Grant gets a 4th?!!??! Tampa would be better with Grant than Goodrow....ugh....what happened there!?

I wish I knew, but definitely should have. Murray gonna Murray lol. 

49 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

How dare you.  I just threw up on my desk at work.

Seriously, though, I don't think it's possible for anyone to lose a trade with Rutherford these days.  Did you hear him defending Johnson after their playoff ouster?  And then this Kapanen trade - woof.  The #15 overall for Kapanen was already an overpay.  And then Rutherford proceeded to pay more.

Yeah, he’s probably just trying to pump his tires because he knows he’s stuck with him lol. Sid and Johnson are good friends from their shattuck days so I think that played into them signing Jack in the first place. I worry about Murray (that’s my slogan for the Ducks right now) mismanaging the assets that he does have going forward. It is frustrating watching other GM’s take advantage of Shero’s position and not us though.

Dubas said he’s not done moving out players which makes me cringe a bit if Murray tries to trade for Nylander. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't see Murray trading for Nylander, but if he does trade with Toronto, he's going to get taken to the cleaners by Dubas.  By the time it's over, Toronto will have Josh Manson, Trevor Zegras, and both our first round picks, we'll have agreed to trade Nylander back to them while retaining some of his salary, and we'll probably end up with Cody Ceci.

Well, supposedly they DID talk with Murray for Kapanen...and it looks like they tried to get the 17th or the 13th pick from Chicago/Carolina respectively...the Canes is their original pick lol supposedly the Hawks balked at the leafs asking for their 17th for Kapanen...so...I feel whatever Murray was asked to give up he didn't think it was worth biting on either...so...maybe there's some hope!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, supposedly they DID talk with Murray for Kapanen...and it looks like they tried to get the 17th or the 13th pick from Chicago/Carolina respectively...the Canes is their original pick lol supposedly the Hawks balked at the leafs asking for their 17th for Kapanen...so...I feel whatever Murray was asked to give up he didn't think it was worth biting on either...so...maybe there's some hope!

Smart move. Kapanen isn’t that good. He’s a bottom six guy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't see Murray trading for Nylander, but if he does trade with Toronto, he's going to get taken to the cleaners by Dubas.  By the time it's over, Toronto will have Josh Manson, Trevor Zegras, and both our first round picks, we'll have agreed to trade Nylander back to them while retaining some of his salary, and we'll probably end up with Cody Ceci.

I hope that he doesn't trade for Nylander and agree that Dubas would dog walk Murray and set our rebuild back half a decade. My concern is Murray wanting to make a big trade more so to save his job.

21 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I've learned that hope is very fleeting with Murray lol.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah. Like we said, Kapanen doesn’t have the injury history and has the recognition that comes with being a first round pick. Backes only has one year left and we still did Boston a massive favor taking 75% of his contract and giving them Kase for what we got in return, all things considered, imo.

Yeah, he’s probably just trying to pump his tires because he knows he’s stuck with him lol. Sid and Johnson are good friends from their shattuck days so I think that played into them signing Jack in the first place. I worry about Murray (that’s my slogan for the Ducks right now) mismanaging the assets that he does have going forward. It is frustrating watching other GM’s take advantage of Shero’s position and not us though.

Dubas said he’s not done moving out players which makes me cringe a bit if Murray tries to trade for Nylander. 

Murray isn't worried about his job.  

Kapanen is way more durable than Kase, and he puts up similar offence.  my guess is that he's going to blossom now that he's exited from Toronto.  that said, it's still an overpay.

i'm unhappy that it's not us in the blockbuster trade with Tor.  I don't think Tor got what they need in return, and they and us could have split our strengths in a way that wouldn't reward a team that... doesn't need that kind of help.  i'll look at the trade more in depth, but i don't like their partner this time.  

i was never hoping for Kapanen.  our focus should really be on Marner.  Marner or no-one from Toronto.  Dubas should be forced to stew with Nylander for a few seasons - if Tor can max out Nylander's potential, that'll be a real feather in Dubas' cap.

35 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Murray isn't worried about his job.  

Kapanen is way more durable than Kase, and he puts up similar offence.  my guess is that he's going to blossom now that he's exited from Toronto.  that said, it's still an overpay.

i'm unhappy that it's not us in the blockbuster trade with Tor.  I don't think Tor got what they need in return, and they and us could have split our strengths in a way that wouldn't reward a team that... doesn't need that kind of help.  i'll look at the trade more in depth, but i don't like their partner this time.  

i was never hoping for Kapanen.  our focus should really be on Marner.  Marner or no-one from Toronto.  Dubas should be forced to stew with Nylander for a few seasons - if Tor can max out Nylander's potential, that'll be a real feather in Dubas' cap.

Yeah, I'd expect Kapanen to put up around 40-45 points (20 goals) with the Penguins since he should be mostly centered by Crosby or Malkin. The Penguins paid a premium for that kind of production and hoping it helps them get back to the SCF. Glad it wasn't us paying it. Imagine what the cost of getting Marner would be. The only things somewhat lowering the price is his contract and a flat cap. The number of GM's wanting to add a nearly $11 mil cap hit to their books is for 5 more years is probably smaller than ever. It's also not like it's in Murray's nature to make a trade that big in terms of assets and price. I think that Nylander's contract is more attractive also because he's already been paid almost half of the total value in salary and signing bonuses. He has a 6.9 cap hit, but is only making $6mil in the four remaining years. So, I think he'd be the more movable piece, but also I'm firmly in the camp of acquiring picks and loading up at the draft rather making a major trade at this point.

As far as Murray's job goes, to me, it depends on what he's sold the Samueli's on. If he's sold them on short turn around for the Ducks to get back into the playoffs then he's probably done after his contract is up in 2022 because I don't think the Ducks are making the playoffs during the next two years. If he's sold them on a rebuild and can show progress in being a perennial playoff team again then I think he has a good chance to stay on to see it through. I think he's the 2nd most tenured GM in the NHL after Poille in Nashville and Poille hasn't missed the playoffs in 3 or more consecutive seasons since the Predators started out as an expansion team (1998-2003). If he's still the GM in 2022, then I'll be sad and may we all wish for that type of job security lol.

there's that, but i get the feeling BM is really just here through the ED and then either wants to move or retire. 

there's probably some desire to shepherd Eakins through the bad times (to the extent Eakins makes that possible), and an equally strong desire to leave the team in better position than he got it, but i get the feeling even he thinks a fresh GM view would be best for the Ducks after the ED.  other teams are taking riskier paths than us, and BM has had a few rough wake up calls in recent seasons...  stuff that crops up when the GM position has gotten a bit too comfortable, some would suggest.

I also think he's gone after the ED...(but I think he'll see out his contract). Whether he wants to stay or not, either way. He'll be gone.

Is BM also really the one in charge of player development? I know I usually keep bagging on the assistants and they definitely need to go...but what about the people in charge of development? I just can't help but think we've had some players really develop poorly and not to their potential, and don't feel super excited about any of our current guys, except Zegras who hasn't been in our clutches long enough to be hindered....

And I see Theo...and man it would be great to have him yeah, but...would he have just been another poor development in our system? I dunno...I don't now how this whole aspect of the game works.

Getz traded to Leafs for Marner?  I wonder if they might try to max out their cup window for next season?  Getz in the top 3 centers on their team with Matthews and Tavares?

I think something's up with Getz, given the house being up for sale.