Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Terry is very good in transition, drives offense, plays good defense. I’m not low on Steel, just high on Terry. He makes very smart, good plays with the puck. He draws penalties with his stick handling and skating, he was driving offense. Terry just seems more likely to be more dynamic than Steel,  but they were both trending up last year and were going to need that from both of them. 

Sounds like a great center! :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That seems like a defense for a team that is trying to make the playoffs now, even without Dunn. I have a sinking feeling that Murray thinks he can have a playoff team this season and that the rebuild is over lol

You know Murray has never embraced the full rebuild.  I don't know if that's his own stubbornness or a mandate from the Samuelis, but he's always been more of the retool on the fly type.  He's always tried to maintain that the Ducks will make the postseason if they can, and I think he's got some additional pressure this season to at least be competitive.

We can argue over whether this is a good strategy; personally, I HATE tanking, but I understand why teams feel it's a viable strategy.  But the Ducks have declined to trade their more valuable assets, so they're obviously trying to incrementally improve. In that vein, I'm fine with this move.  Murray is trying to make the team more competitive this season (and for the next couple) with the resources he's been given.  If the kids take a step forward and Zegras can be decent, you could squint and see this team in the mix for the last wild card slot.

As long as Murray doesn't start trading draft picks/prospects for 30-year-olds, I'm good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

You know Murray has never embraced the full rebuild.  I don't know if that's his own stubbornness or a mandate from the Samuelis, but he's always been more of the retool on the fly type.  He's always tried to maintain that the Ducks will make the postseason if they can, and I think he's got some additional pressure this season to at least be competitive.

We can argue over whether this is a good strategy; personally, I HATE tanking, but I understand why teams feel it's a viable strategy.  But the Ducks have declined to trade their more valuable assets, so they're obviously trying to incrementally improve. In that vein, I'm fine with this move.  Murray is trying to make the team more competitive this season (and for the next couple) with the resources he's been given.  If the kids take a step forward and Zegras can be decent, you could squint and see this team in the mix for the last wild card slot.

As long as Murray doesn't start trading draft picks/prospects for 30-year-olds, I'm good.

This is very on point which is why I think that the Ducks are most likely much farther out from contending for a cup. This is the recipe for ending up in hockey purgatory where you aren't good enough to contend and not bad enough to draft the real top end talent that you need. That's what I fear for the Ducks. If the Ducks don't do a more traditional rebuild, then that is ultimately on the Samueli's.  

I am not a fan of the term re-tool at all to describe the Ducks. Re-tooling is done by successful teams with good productive cores in place, not by teams who need to replace guys who had the impacts of Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler and just finished with the 5th worst record Like you said, the Ducks have not traded their most valuable assets yet which to me just highlights that they are not good. That's fine though, because every team goes through it and I think tanks to some degree. I just don't want to have to squint really hard and hope that everything perfectly falls in place just to be a playoff team and likely first round exit. 

What makes this harder is seeing what LA's been able to do and amass over the last two seasons. Would you rather be in their position going forward or the Ducks'? To be fair, the Ducks' still have time before having to make major decisions but I think they should follow a similar strategy, which for them involved moving on from guys Muzzin, Toffoli and Martinez.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gotchabari said:

NHL Free Agent tracker still hasn't acknowledged either signing.

NHL radio interviewed Shattenkirk.  He's friends with Fowler and wanted a chance to play with him. And the money doesn't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm okay with Ducks extending Terry. And it's great that he's a defense minded forward. But Ducks REALLY need an offensive minded forward who can actually put the puck in the net. Murray needed to trade/sign  for a proven scorer or drafted a scorer with that #6 pick. Defense keeps a team in the game but it's still about who scores the most goals. Does no good if the Ducks keep their opponents to one or two goals a game if they themselves can't get more than one goal a game.

Edited by Shadowduck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I'm okay with Ducks extending Terry. And it's great that he's a defense minded forward. But Ducks REALLY need an offensive minded forward who can actually put the puck in the net. Murray needed to trade/sign  for a proven scorer or drafted a scorer with that #6 pick. Defense keeps a team in the game but it's still about who scores the most goals. Does no good if the Ducks keep their opponents to one or two goals a game if they themselves can't get more than one goal a game.

I actually think what the main issue with the team is they sick at driving offense and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone. I think naturally guys like Henrique, Rakell, Milano, Terry, Silfverberg, Steel can score. Even Comtois, Jones have the stuff, we’re awful at breaking out of the d zone, which is why I maintain that Fowler is the most important player on this team. Adding Shattenkirk, in a couple years Drysdale, maybe Moore really helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This is very on point which is why I think that the Ducks are most likely much farther out from contending for a cup. This is the recipe for ending up in hockey purgatory where you aren't good enough to contend and not bad enough to draft the real top end talent that you need. That's what I fear for the Ducks. If the Ducks don't do a more traditional rebuild, then that is ultimately on the Samueli's.  

I am not a fan of the term re-tool at all to describe the Ducks. Re-tooling is done by successful teams with good productive cores in place, not by teams who need to replace guys who had the impacts of Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler and just finished with the 5th worst record Like you said, the Ducks have not traded their most valuable assets yet which to me just highlights that they are not good. That's fine though, because every team goes through it and I think tanks to some degree. I just don't want to have to squint really hard and hope that everything perfectly falls in place just to be a playoff team and likely first round exit. 

What makes this harder is seeing what LA's been able to do and amass over the last two seasons. Would you rather be in their position going forward or the Ducks'? To be fair, the Ducks' still have time before having to make major decisions but I think they should follow a similar strategy, which for them involved moving on from guys Muzzin, Toffoli and Martinez.

 

I'd rather be the Ducks.  The Kings suck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If Murray truly believes this, then has to make a couple more moves.

Yeah, sounds like we are aiming for hockey purgatory! Not surprised that Bob/ownership is already bored with the rebuild. It’s not like Murray should care about the fallout because he’ll be gone and it will someone else’s problem. 
 

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'd rather be the Ducks.  The Kings suck.

I wish that I shared your optimism lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then he should have targeted Pietrangelo instead of shattenkirk. And make a play for Hall. He wants to come out of a rebuild without actually rebuilding, then he has to buy it! Spend the money we have. I don’t understand how ownership can build big entertainment districts and upgrade the rink and pay their employees during the pandemic (not complaining about any of this cause it’s awesome) but not spend up to the cap where it matters most. You win games people come the games and spend money and buy jerseys and you make the playoffs and all the revenue that comes with it. By being 10 mil cheap on the budget/cap probably cost more that that in revenue loss. You can not target B level players and expect to get an A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

Then he should have targeted Pietrangelo instead of shattenkirk. And make a play for Hall. He wants to come out of a rebuild without actually rebuilding, then he has to buy it! Spend the money we have. I don’t understand how ownership can build big entertainment districts and upgrade the rink and pay their employees during the pandemic (not complaining about any of this cause it’s awesome) but not spend up to the cap where it matters most. You win games people come the games and spend money and buy jerseys and you make the playoffs and all the revenue that comes with it. By being 10 mil cheap on the budget/cap probably cost more that that in revenue loss. You can not target B level players and expect to get an A.

I actually think Shattenkirk is the best love he could make, but you have to supplant the roster with more depth. Just banking on like 6 players playing their absolute best and maybe we get in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Then he should have targeted Pietrangelo instead of shattenkirk. And make a play for Hall. He wants to come out of a rebuild without actually rebuilding, then he has to buy it! Spend the money we have. I don’t understand how ownership can build big entertainment districts and upgrade the rink and pay their employees during the pandemic (not complaining about any of this cause it’s awesome) but not spend up to the cap where it matters most. You win games people come the games and spend money and buy jerseys and you make the playoffs and all the revenue that comes with it. By being 10 mil cheap on the budget/cap probably cost more that that in revenue loss. You can not target B level players and expect to get an A.

How many do we have to give up to have room for them?  Who of our future do get rid of for the sake of getting one of those players for a couple years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know what you mean by what “they” see in Terry. Those stats are things he’s actively doing on the ice. Even with the eye test, after his stint In SD he looked excellent before getting sent down again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not even hearing rumors of the Ducks doing anything. I swear if Murray signed Shattenkirk as the magic fix all and expects this team to make the playoffs I’m done with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m not even hearing rumors of the Ducks doing anything. I swear if Murray signed Shattenkirk as the magic fix all and expects this team to make the playoffs I’m done with him.

I don't know, I feel like anything else Murray does of any significance will have to be through trade.  Any other veterans they sign will be taking jobs from kids, which is dumb.  Shattenkirk improved the team, which I appreciate in and of itself.  The Ducks are fairly tight-lipped on trade rumors, so I don't expect to hear about anything else until it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know, I feel like anything else Murray does of any significance will have to be through trade.  Any other veterans they sign will be taking jobs from kids, which is dumb.  Shattenkirk improved the team, which I appreciate in and of itself.  The Ducks are fairly tight-lipped on trade rumors, so I don't expect to hear about anything else until it happens.

Probably, but there’s some good players available, just have to be creative to get them. I just get antsy this time of year because Murray says something about playoffs then does zero to actually help the team. I love the Shattenkirk signing, but If be genuinely thinks that’s enough, I’m concerned about this franchise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Probably, but there’s some good players available, just have to be creative to get them. I just get antsy this time of year because Murray says something about playoffs then does zero to actually help the team. I love the Shattenkirk signing, but If be genuinely thinks that’s enough, I’m concerned about this franchise. 

With no clue when the season is actually going to start...the start is no where in sight. I don't think teams want to make many trades at this point, unless it's inevitable cap ones, till there's an official start of next season. Once we have that official date, I'd expect to start seeing the trades pick up...

Until then.......there wont be much going on...... :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jasoaks said:

With no clue when the season is actually going to start...the start is no where in sight. I don't think teams want to make many trades at this point, unless it's inevitable cap ones, till there's an official start of next season. Once we have that official date, I'd expect to start seeing the trades pick up...

Until then.......there wont be much going on...... :( 

January 1st what their aiming for apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Probably, but there’s some good players available, just have to be creative to get them. I just get antsy this time of year because Murray says something about playoffs then does zero to actually help the team. I love the Shattenkirk signing, but If be genuinely thinks that’s enough, I’m concerned about this franchise. 

Yeah, but this is actually the offseason where Murray should stand pat. I’m concerned about the franchise also. If Shattenkirk is all he does until then I’m good with that but given Shattenkirk’s comments, I think Murray’s going to make a notable trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, but this is actually the offseason where Murray should stand pat. I’m concerned about the franchise also. If Shattenkirk is all he does until then I’m good with that but given Shattenkirk’s comments, I think Murray’s going to make a notable trade

When STL is over the cap limit and Dunn needs to be signed, offer sheet? Work out a trade? That’s a move for now AND the future. Then you have Kahun, Duclair. Moves you can make to shore up the team for now and the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and Hall signed a 1-year deal with Buffalo....wow...fascinating. If anything, I feel this is just gonna be trade bait come the trade deadline lol and it gets Buffalo a little bit closer to the ceiling...i mean, why not? I just don't understand how this sounds good to Hall lol I guess...pad stats with Eichel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

If Murray truly believes this, then has to make a couple more moves.

Somebody drug test the man if he believes this team is strong enough for the playoffs. The kids aren't ready yet and needed the extra games of seasoning that they missed out on last season.

I wouldn't mind if he adds Toffoli or Dadonov to the team for a reasonable deal.  We need some serious scoring help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta admit I haven't been following hockey that closely for a while but didn't the blue jackets buy out Wennberg? I'd love BM to take a gamble on him. What is there to lose? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I gotta admit I haven't been following hockey that closely for a while but didn't the blue jackets buy out Wennberg? I'd love BM to take a gamble on him. What is there to lose? 

He signed in Florida I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main issue now is that there really isn't any room to sign anyone who can help. 

The Ducks' top four D is set, and there really isn't much trade value in the glut of guys they have for the bottom pair.  They should absolutely not trade any of the guys they drafted this year for current help, especially Drysdale.

The Ducks forward unit could certainly use some upgrades.  Hoffman, Dadonov, Duclair - those guys would all be welcome upgrades.  But signing any of them would push out a kid who really needs to be in the lineup.  You can certainly could sign one and then do a separate trade where you get rid of a couple of the young forwards (Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom, Jones, etc. - Terry is probably not going anywhere after that extension), but again, those kids haven't done much to garner trade value at this point, and you're still hoping one of them blossoms into a legitimate top 6 guy.

There really isn't much to be done at goaltender.  You can't get better by trading Gibson, that's for sure.

The Ducks would have to pull off a shocker by trading a package surrounding Manson and a bunch of the kids and probably a pick or two for a good, young forward, and then signing either Pietrangelo or Vatanen.  Or they build a trade around Rakell and some kids and sign a forward like Hoffman.  There are ways to improve the team for this year without completely crippling the build, but it's going to be difficult, and I can't see it happening without a trade or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ducks Defence Corps with Singing of Welsinki will look like this.

Fowler-ShattenKirk

Lindholm-Manson

Curran-Hankanpaa/Welsinki

Larsson

Clearly this is Good Improvement for the Ducks on Blueline agree?

 

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...