The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Murray should look to move on if they don't improve, but I'm hoping the Samuelis move on from Murray before that happens.  Prospect development is a bit of a black box, especially in hockey when players often do a lot of their development outside the organization, but I don't think the Ducks are good at it under Murray.  I look at the players who have moved on and blossomed, and then I look at the players who have stagnated here, and I wonder if this is an area of deficiency for the Ducks.  Is that an organizational failure in development?  Is it just luck?  Is it the fault of draft strategy?  I just can't ignore the fact that, outside maybe of Ondrej Kase, the Ducks haven't developed their own top 6 forward prospect since...Bobby Ryan?  Maybe Kyle Palmieri, but even then, he didn't take off until he was traded.  You figure that in 15 years of drafts, they would hit on a couple of guys, even drafting lower.  And they very well might have...but they either gave up on young players too early or they never brought them to their full potential.

All this to say, I could see Steel and Jones and Terry and Comtois all continuing that trend.  I really hope that's not true, but I'm not thrilled with Murray's track record of developing young forwards.

Fire Murray into the sun before he gets rid of any of them. I'm just imagining Steel going to another team and immediately scoring 50 points.

15 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Murray's had, what, three coaching hires now?  Firing Eakins would be his fourth.  Given where the Ducks have gone recently, I don't think he gets that opportunity. Murray's fate is tied to Eakins' at this point.

I think we're stuck with Murray and Eakins for at least this season.  If the Ducks show signs of life, look like they might compete for a playoff spot, and we see the kids make any progress, I think both at least get to start next season with the team.  If the team completely tanks, then we might see a new GM/Coach duo in the offseason.  

I think they probably let Murray stay through the expansion draft. His contract is until 2022 - he may just see that out and then Madden takes over. 

In any case I doubt he gets extended beyond 2022.

56 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think they probably let Murray stay through the expansion draft. His contract is until 2022 - he may just see that out and then Madden takes over. 

In any case I doubt he gets extended beyond 2022.

I think this, too. Regardless of success or not.

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Murray's had, what, three coaching hires now?  Firing Eakins would be his fourth.  Given where the Ducks have gone recently, I don't think he gets that opportunity. Murray's fate is tied to Eakins' at this point.

I think we're stuck with Murray and Eakins for at least this season.  If the Ducks show signs of life, look like they might compete for a playoff spot, and we see the kids make any progress, I think both at least get to start next season with the team.  If the team completely tanks, then we might see a new GM/Coach duo in the offseason.  

I agree that if they show signs of light and the young players improve then Murray and Eakins will be around after this season even if they don't make the playoffs. It's weird though because coaches/GM's that miss the playoffs for 3 straight years usually get canned. Things would have to be as bad or worse than last year for Murray and Eakins get fired before their contracts are up.

lol.  Eakins does really well with the kids in the AHL, they come to the NHL to die under RC, Eakins has minimal time (less than a full season, in total?) to switch things around as head coach in the NHL, WHILE rejiggering the team to be less of a hitting team, and you guys want to throw him to the curb already, even through we're in the midst of an admitted rebuild, with maybe only two undeniably marquee players on the roster currently (Getz and Gibson)? 

if we change anything, it'd be the assistants - the guys with the primary responsibility of developing the rooks and lines.

i don't know who we'd hire aside from Eakins, but unless there's some absolutely perfect replacement, it'd be completely unfair to drop Eakins under the current circumstances.  There are repercussions for fielding a non-playoff team multiple seasons in a row, for sure, but there are also repercussions for making bad (timing, justification) coach firing decisions.  

Eakins deserves at least another season, and I'd argue a full season (without the specter of covid).

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

if we change anything, it'd be the assistants - the guys with the primary responsibility of developing the rooks and lines.

I'd definitely be willing to lose them asap and before we throw Eakins out.

The only bright side is that the other teams have more quality assets than the Ducks. Assuming Zegras and Drysdale are untouchable, I'm not sure what type of package the Ducks could offer to get Dubois. Please just the phone down on this, Bob.

31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The only bright side is that the other teams have more quality assets than the Ducks. Assuming Zegras and Drysdale are untouchable, I'm not sure what type of package the Ducks could offer to get Dubois. Please just the phone down on this, Bob.

Man yeah...hopefully Z and Drysdale wouldn't be part of this. The fact that it's a request from the player makes me think we could get away with like...Steel + 2021 1st round and maybe one of our recent late 1st round prospects?....I also know nothing of trades haha

6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Man yeah...hopefully Z and Drysdale wouldn't be part of this. The fact that it's a request from the player makes me think we could get away with like...Steel + 2021 1st round and maybe one of our recent late 1st round prospects?....I also know nothing of trades haha

I think you'd be looking at Rakell + Steel + 2021 1st round pick, which I don't think gets it done. The catch-22 with the 2021 draft pick is that the Ducks could easily bottom out this year and miss out on a high, potential lottery pick. On a positive note, it's not like there's a McDavid or consensus 1st overall pick next year, but it still would be a very valuable asset to have. Columbus is a playoff team so I don't think they'd want mostly picks/prospects. Winnipeg could offer Laine straight up for Dubois. This is a scenario where the teams listed in the tweet are in a better position to make a play. LA is loaded with center talent and could make an easier trade than the Ducks. Maybe they can trade Jeff Carter back to Columbus lol. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think you'd be looking at Rakell + Steel + 2021 1st round pick, which I don't think gets it done. The catch-22 with the 2021 draft pick is that the Ducks could easily bottom out this year and miss out on a high, potential lottery pick. On a positive note, it's not like there's a McDavid or consensus 1st overall pick next year, but it still would be a very valuable asset to have. Columbus is a playoff team so I don't think they'd want mostly picks/prospects. Winnipeg could offer Laine straight up for Dubois. This is a scenario where the teams listed in the tweet are in a better position to make a play. LA is loaded with center talent and could make an easier trade than the Ducks. Maybe they can trade Jeff Carter back to Columbus lol. 

haha that would be hilarious....but you're right. Columbus is a win-sooner-than-the-Ducks mode so they need more immediate substance. But I do agree...the other teams would be easier trade targets...especially the Jets...but...why would the Ducks be first mentioned? That just feels like the Ducks have been pushing more. I mean, I'd be OK with any of our sophomore kids + Rakell...but...not sure how I'd feel about the 2021 1st...

37 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Are you not interested in Dubois?  He'd be a pretty solid #1C if Zegras stays on the wing.  Or they'd be a great 1-2 punch down the middle.

That said, you're right that the cost is probably prohibitive for the Ducks.  I assume the Ducks say no to including Zegras and probably Drysdale.  I don't think they have any other high pedigree prospects that Columbus would be interested in, so they would have to give up quantity.  Which is fine with me, but I would bet Columbus gets better offers.

If you could get Columbus to bite on that package and throw in an extra prospect, I would absolutely do it.  But the Kings, for one, can definitely offer more without gutting their prospect pool.

I am interested in him but just not at the cost it would take and at this time. If the Ducks had a deeper prospect pool and higher end young pros, then I would take a grand slam swing at him. I agree with you about LA and hope the Ducks follow their rebuilding path. The Kings have enough talent in their system to trade for Dubois and still have a top-5 prospect pool. Hopefully, within the next 2-3 seasons the Ducks will be in that position and can take advantage of another team's disgruntled franchise player. If the Oilers keep failing McDavid, then maybe we'll be in a position to swipe him when he demands a trade. We did it once to Edmonton with Pronger!

To me, Zegras, Drysdale, Gibson, Getzlaf (unless he wants out of town) and our first round picks in 21' and 22' are what I would not consider parting with.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

15 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Are you not interested in Dubois?  He'd be a pretty solid #1C if Zegras stays on the wing.  Or they'd be a great 1-2 punch down the middle.

That said, you're right that the cost is probably prohibitive for the Ducks.  I assume the Ducks say no to including Zegras and probably Drysdale.  I don't think they have any other high pedigree prospects that Columbus would be interested in, so they would have to give up quantity.  Which is fine with me, but I would bet Columbus gets better offers.

If you could get Columbus to bite on that package and throw in an extra prospect, I would absolutely do it.  But the Kings, for one, can definitely offer more without gutting their prospect pool.

I think the Ducks could be in the conversation if their 2021 first rounder was on the table. Especially if the Ducks fall off the pace early. Take away the lottery protection and add, say, Henrique, and I think we'd have a deal. I'd happily put an unprotected 2021 1st rounder on the table for Dubois too. He's legit.

Edited by dtsdlaw

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I am interested in him but just not at the cost it would take and at this time. If the Ducks had a deeper prospect pool and higher end young pros, then I would take a grand slam swing at him. I agree with you about LA and hope the Ducks follow their rebuilding path. The Kings have enough talent in their system to trade for Dubois and still have a top-5 prospect pool. Hopefully, within the next 2-3 seasons the Ducks will be in that position and can take advantage of another team's disgruntled franchise player. If the Oilers keep failing McDavid, then maybe we'll be in a position to swipe him when he demands a trade. We did it once to Edmonton with Pronger!

To me, Zegras, Drysdale, Gibson, Getzlaf (unless he wants out of town) and our first round picks in 21' and 22' are what I would not consider parting with.

This is the perfect time to nab someone like him. The guy is only 22 and has proven he can score goals and be a #1 C . You would rather wait for McDavid on the off chance the oilers aren’t noticeably better in the long run? Sounds like a cop out to me . 
if it takes Zegras, don’t do it. If you can part with Drysdale and steel (or rakell) at the least, why on earth wouldn’t you? What are you scared of ? 

20 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

This is the perfect time to nab someone like him. The guy is only 22 and has proven he can score goals and be a #1 C . You would rather wait for McDavid on the off chance the oilers aren’t noticeably better in the long run? Sounds like a cop out to me . 
if it takes Zegras, don’t do it. If you can part with Drysdale and steel (or rakell) at the least, why on earth wouldn’t you? What are you scared of ? 

I’d wait until we have more dispensable assets to part with before making a trade like this. If you can get Dubois without moving Zegras, Drysdale or first round picks that are likely to be very high then it makes more sense to me. Moves like this are better done by playoff/contending teams or teams coming out of rebuilds with assets to spare, IMO. The Ducks are neither at this point. If we had 2-3 young high quality forwards that were proven at the NHL level then I’d be floored to get a guy like Dubois. 

You are right that it’s the perfect time to nab him, provided you’re in a position to buy, which I don’t think that we are. It’s the same reason for why I wouldn’t trade for Laine as much as I like him also. The teams listed to wanting Dubois (NYR, Montreal, LA, Winnipeg) are way better positioned to land him. Plus, I’m not sure that we even have the assets that Columbus wants. I’m sure they are going to want a very good youngish center and/or scoring winger which we lack. I’m just not seeing a deal that I could stomach that Columbus would also accept.

The fact is, we have one of the worst team in the NHL with the salaries almost against the cap. No more salary addition, unless the Ducks will be able to unload some expensive and not very productive players.

16 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

The fact is, we have one of the worst team in the NHL with the salaries almost against the cap. No more salary addition, unless the Ducks will be able to unload some expensive and not very productive players.

Once the season starts, Kesler goes on LTIR and his salary is freed up. Dubois at 5M would be easily absorbed since we're subtracting salaries of the players going to Columbus. Keep Zegras and Drysdale. Everybody else (sans Gibson) on the table. I'd throw in our 2021 1st rounder. Why not? There's no projected franchise player available from what I understand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

Djoos claimed off waivers by Detroit. :( 

So we went from Marcus Pettersson -> Daniel Sprong -> Christain Djoos -> Nothing....

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but GMBM has given away two very good defenders (including Theodore) for nothing. Really bad asset management. Don't want to knock Larsson too hard here but he's been horrible and I'm not sure why we're so insistent on giving him a chance. How he evaluates talent just doesn't make sense to me...

5 minutes ago, Daffy_95 said:

So we went from Marcus Pettersson -> Daniel Sprong -> Christain Djoos -> Nothing....

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but GMBM has given away two very good defenders (including Theodore) for nothing. Really bad asset management. Don't want to knock Larsson too hard here but he's been horrible and I'm not sure why we're so insistent on giving him a chance. How he evaluates talent just doesn't make sense to me...

I agree for the most part. was looking forward to seeing if he would take the next step this season with more ice time. Don’t get me started on Larsson lol

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

Once the season starts, Kesler goes on LTIR and his salary is freed up. Dubois at 5M would be easily absorbed since we're subtracting salaries of the players going to Columbus. Keep Zegras and Drysdale. Everybody else (sans Gibson) on the table. I'd throw in our 2021 1st rounder. Why not? There's no projected franchise player available from what I understand.

With what is being floated about trading for Dubois, Columbus is asking for the likes of Kirby Dach from Chicago and Suzuki+Kotkaniemi from Montreal. Even if the real price is a bit lower, the Ducks seem like they won't be in the running unless Zegras is involved or they blow up the farm system with multiple first round picks.

Yeah, there is no consensus pick for 2021 but there are always stud prospects available. It could be like the 2017 draft where Heischer and Patrick went 1st and 2nd, followed by Heiskanen, Makar and E. Pettersson.

3 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Word is Ben Hutton is joining Anaheim’s camp on a PTO

Why let Djoos go and then invite this guy?...

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Ben Huttton is no sa bad, actually. A 1 year deal for a minimum salary would make sense.

5 hours ago, ike-1 said:

I think he’s a left D. Maybe it’s not about Djoos (who played more on the right side) as much as it is about disappointment over the depth we have over there. 

On 1/9/2021 at 11:53 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

With what is being floated about trading for Dubois, Columbus is asking for the likes of Kirby Dach from Chicago and Suzuki+Kotkaniemi from Montreal.

sheesh...of course they are. That's a hard no if I'm one of those teams...not interested if Z has to be involved.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This Dubois/Tortorella situation is getting ugly. Dubois benched for the last two period of this game. Good ol' fashion hockey stand off. 

ohhhhh man oh man....that's gonna be interesting to see play out....maybe Tortz will get fired and we can hire him!!...I highly doubt that'll happen though. Dubois is definitely being shopped.

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

ohhhhh man oh man....that's gonna be interesting to see play out....maybe Tortz will get fired and we can hire him!!...I highly doubt that'll happen though. Dubois is definitely being shopped.

Or they could give us Dubois

• Like 1