The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

Enough with getting defensemen. GMBM needs to focus on getting a foward who can can score a point a game or something close to that. REALLY tired of GMBM  and his love affair with defense.

At least he seems to be prioritizing handedness over nationality when he's determining fit now. Unless MacKenzie happens to a Swedish first name all of a sudden :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

This only makes sense as a set up move for something else. Like maybe sending Heinan to Florida to clear roster and cap space so he can sign another forward. Florida needs some competent forwards for their bottom-6 and we have too many LWs and too many mid-range C prospects.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This only makes sense as a set up move for something else. Like maybe sending Heinan to Florida to clear roster and cap space so he can sign another forward. Florida needs some competent forwards for their bottom-6 and we have too many LWs and too many mid-range C prospects.

I agree with your first sentence, but I have so many questions.  Why did the Ducks sign Curran if they weren't going to play him?  Won't Weegar command $2+ million in salary. negating any cap space they might get from trading a guy like Heinen?  Weegar is almost certainly an upgrade for the 3rd pairing, but it means even less playing time for the five d-men they've got for those roles.  And Weegar's fine, but he's not making a huge difference in getting to the postseason.

Looking at Florida's roster, they have plenty of cap room and could use another forward.  Maybe you trade Henrique for Weegar and a 2nd, then use the additional cap room to sign another wing?  As I said, I love Dadonov, but I'd also take Hoffman.  Granlund could be interesting, although he's on a fairly rough downward trajectory, scoring-wise.  He can kill penalties, though.  

Hoffman or Dadonov are probably slight upgrades on Henrique and Weegar is probably a slight upgrade on any other d-man they could throw out there on the right side.  But they still have a glut of d-men for that final 3rd pairing spot, and the scoring issue hasn't really been adequatey solved, unless Zegras is ready to come in and take the 2nd line spot (and that's assuming they sign Hoffman or Dadonov).  Getting rid of Henrique means Zegras is either making the NHL squad or the center depth goes Getzlaf - Steel - Grant - Backes.  Yikes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I agree with your first sentence, but I have so many questions.  Why did the Ducks sign Curran if they weren't going to play him?  Won't Weegar command $2+ million in salary. negating any cap space they might get from trading a guy like Heinen?  Weegar is almost certainly an upgrade for the 3rd pairing, but it means even less playing time for the five d-men they've got for those roles.  And Weegar's fine, but he's not making a huge difference in getting to the postseason.

Looking at Florida's roster, they have plenty of cap room and could use another forward.  Maybe you trade Henrique for Weegar and a 2nd, then use the additional cap room to sign another wing?  As I said, I love Dadonov, but I'd also take Hoffman.  Granlund could be interesting, although he's on a fairly rough downward trajectory, scoring-wise.  He can kill penalties, though.  

Hoffman or Dadonov are probably slight upgrades on Henrique and Weegar is probably a slight upgrade on any other d-man they could throw out there on the right side.  But they still have a glut of d-men for that final 3rd pairing spot, and the scoring issue hasn't really been adequatey solved, unless Zegras is ready to come in and take the 2nd line spot (and that's assuming they sign Hoffman or Dadonov).  Getting rid of Henrique means Zegras is either making the NHL squad or the center depth goes Getzlaf - Steel - Grant - Backes.  Yikes.

Good points. I think Weeger's QO is $1.6M and I can't see him getting much more than that (even if he elects to go to arbitration). So moving Heinan would save about $1M in cap space. That's not a lot, but it might be just enough considering Kesler's LTIR space. And maybe that deal also cleans up a spot at LHD. Something like Heinan + Guhle for Weegar + picks/prospects.

I'm also higher on Granlund than most. He's a very creative player who can score and set up others, and his presence at C or on RW would add instant offense. Prior to last season in Nashville (where he was a square peg in a round hole), he posted assist totals over six consecutive seasons of 31, 31, 43, 46, and 34. For comparison, Rico has only topped 30 assists once in his career (in 2011-12). He's not a pure scorer like Hoffman or Dadonov, but I think he would make the group overall better with his ability to score and set up others. 

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Good points. I think Weeger's QO is $1.6M and I can't see him getting much more than that (even if he elects to go to arbitration). So moving Heinan would save about $1M in cap space. That's not a lot, but it might be just enough considering Kesler's LTIR space. And maybe that deal also cleans up a spot at LHD. Something like Heinan + Guhle for Weegar + picks/prospects.

I'm also higher on Granlund than most. He's a very creative player who can score and set up others, and his presence at C or on RW would add instant offense. Prior to last season in Nashville (where he was a square peg in a round hole), he posted assist totals over six consecutive seasons of 31, 31, 43, 46, and 34. For comparison, Rico has only topped 30 assists once in his career (in 2011-12). He's not a pure scorer like Hoffman or Dadonov, but I think he would make the group overall better with his ability to score and set up others. 

Granlund would be fine.  I like creative players who can set up others, but this team still badly needs scorers.  I think you only need one distributor per line, and if Zegras makes the team, you've got Getzlaf, Zegras, and Terry.  I'd much prefer a scorer, but Granlund wouldn't be bad.

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Granlund would be fine.  I like creative players who can set up others, but this team still badly needs scorers.  I think you only need one distributor per line, and if Zegras makes the team, you've got Getzlaf, Zegras, and Terry.  I'd much prefer a scorer, but Granlund wouldn't be bad.

Granlund would be good pickup for the Ducks someone to mentor the young guns alot with Getzlaf and Backes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

My personal order considering cost/likelihood/fit. 
Dadanov 

Duclair 

Granlund 

I really don’t like Hoffman. 
Then a couple trade targets 

Cirelli 

Gallagher 

If Murray can trade for Weegar AND sign one of those 3, I gotta say, this has been one of his best offseason on paper, if not best. Drafting Drysdale and Perrault, signing Shattenkirk ontop of these two potential moves. 

38 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Dadanov 

Duclair 

Granlund 

Cirelli 

Gallagher 

If Murray can trade for Weegar AND sign one of those 3, I gotta say, this has been one of his best offseason on paper, if not best. Drafting Drysdale and Perrault, signing Shattenkirk ontop of these two potential moves. 

I'm a little bit leery of Hoffman myself, given his baggage and age and the contract he's likely to command.  His advanced stats aren't great once you get past the raw Corsi.  He's not going to give you anything on the defensive end.  But he is an incredibly consistent scorer, good for 60 points a season.

If we're shooting for pure offensive production, Dadonov is the one I want.  Duclair and Granlund both give you more on the defensive side of the puck, but I'm a little worried that neither will be more than an adequate second liner offensively.  Of the two, I think I prefer Granlund.

I doubt Montreal trades Gallagher at this point.  They're trying to contend.  I would love Cirelli, but my guess is that Tampa figures out a way to unload Tyler Johnson (even if they have to keep some salary) and then gets Cirelli a new contract.

I'm curious as to what Murray's going to do. I would not be surprised if he did nothing else of note, although he'd clearly be selling Shattenkirk a bill of goods if that happens.  If he's going to make good on his promise, they need another clear upgrade in the top 6 forwards and could probably use an upgrade to the bottom D pair as well.  Not to mention re-signing Miller for backup goalie.

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Dadanov 

Duclair 

Granlund 

Cirelli 

Gallagher 

It would be the best....Getting one of the 3 you mention...be it Duclair or Granlund and trade for Weegar is Big Boost for the Ducks....Hoffman I would stay away considering his girlfriend soured relationship with many of his Ottawa teammates WAGS...I would not go near that.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm a little bit leery of Hoffman myself, given his baggage and age and the contract he's likely to command.  His advanced stats aren't great once you get past the raw Corsi.  He's not going to give you anything on the defensive end.  But he is an incredibly consistent scorer, good for 60 points a season.

If we're shooting for pure offensive production, Dadonov is the one I want.  Duclair and Granlund both give you more on the defensive side of the puck, but I'm a little worried that neither will be more than an adequate second liner offensively.  Of the two, I think I prefer Granlund.

I doubt Montreal trades Gallagher at this point.  They're trying to contend.  I would love Cirelli, but my guess is that Tampa figures out a way to unload Tyler Johnson (even if they have to keep some salary) and then gets Cirelli a new contract.

I'm curious as to what Murray's going to do. I would not be surprised if he did nothing else of note, although he'd clearly be selling Shattenkirk a bill of goods if that happens.  If he's going to make good on his promise, they need another clear upgrade in the top 6 forwards and could probably use an upgrade to the bottom D pair as well.  Not to mention re-signing Miller for backup goalie.

Dadonov would be great if this team were better overall. But this team isn't that close to being a legit contender and he turns 32 in March. If things shake out the right way this team could be good again in a couple of years, but by then Dadonov is in his mid-30s. Not sure that's the direction GMBM wants to go right now. Even Granlund may be on the "old" side for what GMBM is trying to do. Someone in the 24-26 age range is probably where he's looking.

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Gallagher was just extended in Montreal.

I have to think some of these UFAs are going to have to end up signing for cheaper than they would want in a normal year. With the flat cap there isn`t a lot of cap space available around the league.

I like Granlund. He`s not that old, he was on 40 point pace last season in Nashville who are a team that seems perpetually snake bit. The season before he was on pace for 64 points with Minnesota before he was traded, and had 67 points the year before.

Edited by nieder

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dadonov would be great if this team were better overall. But this team isn't that close to being a legit contender and he turns 32 in March. If things shake out the right way this team could be good again in a couple of years, but by then Dadonov is in his mid-30s. Not sure that's the direction GMBM wants to go right now. Even Granlund may be on the "old" side for what GMBM is trying to do. Someone in the 24-26 age range is probably where he's looking.

I don't disagree with you that he should be looking for younger players, and I happen think it's way more likely than not that he's about done making moves.  It's going to be tough to find those guys.  Getting a mid-20's guy is only going to happen via trade.  Murray is way too old school to throw out an offersheet at an RFA.  

But Murray is making statements about wanting to make a playoff push, so if I take him at his word, he wants help now.  I would absolutely give Dadonov a three-year deal, just like Shattenkirk, who is also 31.  And in this environment where a bunch of solid free agents are still available because teams are out of money, guys might be willing to take shorter-term contracts. I'm not holding my breath on anyone specific, just kind of wishcasting.

If trades really are the only way Murray is going to acquire someone, then I'll just wait and see.  If a name starts getting bandied about in the rumor mill (like Weegar), I'll speculate, but until then, it's impossible to know who's available and who's not.

15 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't disagree with you that he should be looking for younger players, and I happen think it's way more likely than not that he's about done making moves.  It's going to be tough to find those guys.  Getting a mid-20's guy is only going to happen via trade.  Murray is way too old school to throw out an offersheet at an RFA.  

But Murray is making statements about wanting to make a playoff push, so if I take him at his word, he wants help now.  I would absolutely give Dadonov a three-year deal, just like Shattenkirk, who is also 31.  And in this environment where a bunch of solid free agents are still available because teams are out of money, guys might be willing to take shorter-term contracts. I'm not holding my breath on anyone specific, just kind of wishcasting.

If trades really are the only way Murray is going to acquire someone, then I'll just wait and see.  If a name starts getting bandied about in the rumor mill (like Weegar), I'll speculate, but until then, it's impossible to know who's available and who's not.

Good Point....Who knows what Bob is thinking and who knows whether our Ducks will make a trade or sign...eitherway..Ducks need to fix some areas in our team's game till next year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Dadanov is gone 3 yrs 15 mil to Ottawa. Options are dwindling in FA, so it’s probably going to have to be a couple trades 

41 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Dadanov is gone 3 yrs 15 mil to Ottawa. Options are dwindling in FA, so it’s probably going to have to be a couple trades 

Ottawa is putting together a decent little team. Good chance some of those first rounders make the team too. Example of to actually ‘retool’ on the fly. Looking at you GMBM.

33 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

Ottawa is putting together a decent little team. Good chance some of those first rounders make the team too. Example of to actually ‘retool’ on the fly. Looking at you GMBM.

I don’t think Ottawa is retooling at all and that they have been in full rebuild mode since 2018. They traded away Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, etc have no player remaining from their 2017 ECF run. Not surprisingly, they amassed a ton of picks have one of the top prospect pools in the entire league now.  I wish Murray would tear down this roster a little bit more.

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Murray reached his bicentennial Russian quota already by drafting Galimov. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don’t think Ottawa is retooling at all and that they have been in full rebuild mode since 2018. They traded away Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, etc have no player remaining from their 2017 ECF run. Not surprisingly, they amassed a ton of picks have one of the top prospect pools in the entire league now.  I wish Murray would tear down this roster a little bit more.

Murray reached his bicentennial Russian quota already by drafting Galimov. 

Apples and oranges, though. Karlsson, Stone, Pageau, even Turris - these guys were all in the final year of their contracts and were headed to UFA, so its not like Ottawa went full rebuild by trading away players that were locked into contracts with term left, like most of the Ducks best players currently are. They were forced into the rebuild by having too many expiring contracts. GMBM is not in that position at all. Meanwhile, Hoffman is the only high end guy they moved who had term left on his contract, and that move was because of a locker room issue not because of a rebuild. They also got nothing useful for Hoffman. Just a washed up Mikkel Boedker, a minor league D-man who is now playing in the SHL, and a 6th round pick. Let's also see if they come out ahead on their trades too. Karlsson got them Stutzle (good), but they also hilariously dropped 15 spots in the 2019 draft by flipping Duchene. The Sens have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons now and I'm not convinced that team is going to be good any time soon.

3 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Ottawa didn't "retool on the fly."  They were fly[ing] the same way pigs fly.  They bottomed out to get as many draft picks as possible.  We'll see how long it takes them to return to respectability.  My guess is that it will be another couple of years, at least.  And if their prospects don't work out, it might be longer, although my guess is that they'll be decent in three seasons.

That said, I love that Dadonov signing and would absolutely have done that deal.  Bah.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Apples and oranges, though. Karlsson, Stone, Pageau, even Turris - these guys were all in the final year of their contracts and were headed to UFA, so its not like Ottawa went full rebuild by trading away players that were locked into contracts with term left, like most of the Ducks best players currently are. They were forced into the rebuild by having too many expiring contracts. GMBM is not in that position at all. Meanwhile, Hoffman is the only high end guy they moved who had term left on his contract, and that move was because of a locker room issue not because of a rebuild. They also got nothing useful for Hoffman. Just a washed up Mikkel Boedker, a minor league D-man who is now playing in the SHL, and a 6th round pick. Let's also see if they come out ahead on their trades too. Karlsson got them Stutzle (good), but they also hilariously dropped 15 spots in the 2019 draft by flipping Duchene. The Sens have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons now and I'm not convinced that team is going to be good any time soon.

You’re right that Ottawa has more of a contract crunch and that Melnyk was not going to pay to keep it together, especially after the disastrous 2018 season. IMO, the Ducks aren’t very far off from being in similar position with Manson, Rakell and Lindholm all two seasons away from UFA status and Getzlaf being in the twilight of his career. It was rather poetic that they got another team’s lottery pick after losing their own.

The Sens are going to take a couple of seasons before they start seeing how their prospects pan out but they have some real nice pieces to potentially build around. I think that the Ducks still need those pieces, and that it’s going to be a couple more seasons before they really turn it around. I at least trust our ownership much more than I would melnyk.

12 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Interesting......very interesting...IF our Ducks do decide to trade we may see Rakell be sent on his way.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I see Thornton is now a Leaf.....that's interesting. The only real positive here I'd say is the Leafs have now entered the category of "teams an old veteran wants to join to get their first cup before they retire." Congrats, Leafs! At that price, too, it's such a low risk. So that's cool for them.

But I don't believe Jumbo has good leadership skills and am curious to see how he does where he isn't THE leader or face or "heart" of the team. He's still got a lot to offer I'd say on the ice. But he also isn't very clutch and chokes a lot...so... *shrug* again at that price, it really isn't going to hurt them. But I also don't feel like this solves ANY problem for the Leafs.

I feel like Dubas just likes taking the idea of a player...a player he gets excited to see on the ice...and doesn't really think about the quality of said player or like...if it actually addresses any issue.

Thornton addresses the issue of...need center depth. And maybe the players will get excited and want to help him win a cup...but he doesn't address anything else or help anything else. But super curious to see how he does with less pressure as a player on him. Will be interesting to see.

Meh, he probably doesn't do much lol hopefully for the leafs he just doesn't get in the way.

Thornton is washed and Leaf fans really need to temper their expectations with this signing. They already have Spezza who is basically the exact same player as Thornton at this stage of their careers. At a Cup chasing league minimum, it's hard to complain about the contract but that bottom six was eaten alive last season and adding another ill-fitting dinosaur hardly seems like the solution Toronto needs. I fully expect this to become a big media controversy in March (or June or whenever the hell the midseason point will be) when the team realizes they have to scratch one for the other to get the best out of their lineup. 

• Like 1

I mean it's the absolute lowest you can pay a guy so it truly is essentially NO risk. Hopefully for the Leafs his lack of good leadership and his inability to show up in big games doesn't rub off on them...

Also, I just read that "Anaheim reset" article on NHL.com....and...it said if Miller doesn't retire he's unlikely to sign with the Ducks?? Is that true?? I kept hearing it was either Anaheim or nobody....

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I mean it's the absolute lowest you can pay a guy so it truly is essentially NO risk. Hopefully for the Leafs his lack of good leadership and his inability to show up in big games doesn't rub off on them...

Also, I just read that "Anaheim reset" article on NHL.com....and...it said if Miller doesn't retire he's unlikely to sign with the Ducks?? Is that true?? I kept hearing it was either Anaheim or nobody....

Like most things with the NHL, I don't think they can be bothered to care about Anaheim, so I'm not reading anything real into that.  They say later in the article that Stolarz is likely to spend another season in the AHL.  The only reason the Ducks wouldn't re-sign Miller is because of money.  He's the best fit out there, but I suppose the Ducks might be looking to go dirt cheap with their backup, which makes sense in some regard, but is also not a great way to take care of one of their most valuable assets in John Gibson.  And if the Ducks are looking to go dirt cheap, they'd probably just use Stolarz.

There's always a chance, of course, that the Ducks could be looking to sign one of the available backups, but I can't imagine they'd be that much cheaper or better than Miller, and Miller seems like he wants to come back.  So I'm not reading much into that piece other than the NHL doesn't care about Anaheim, which we already knew.

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Like most things with the NHL, I don't think they can be bothered to care about Anaheim, so I'm not reading anything real into that.  They say later in the article that Stolarz is likely to spend another season in the AHL.  The only reason the Ducks wouldn't re-sign Miller is because of money.  He's the best fit out there, but I suppose the Ducks might be looking to go dirt cheap with their backup, which makes sense in some regard, but is also not a great way to take care of one of their most valuable assets in John Gibson.  And if the Ducks are looking to go dirt cheap, they'd probably just use Stolarz.

There's always a chance, of course, that the Ducks could be looking to sign one of the available backups, but I can't imagine they'd be that much cheaper or better than Miller, and Miller seems like he wants to come back.  So I'm not reading much into that piece other than the NHL doesn't care about Anaheim, which we already knew.

Yeah, I hear ya on all that...it just makes me sad to see it in reality...like...man you're doing an ENTIRE article about the Ducks reset in the off-season...like...do a little more than the bare minimum of research. Like, I get it (sort of) if you're doing an article on all the teams and don't have as much time for each team...but...ugh...yeah.

Now I really want them to sign Miller (even though I already did lol) just to make the nhl.com writer look even more dumb lol

Anyword on Mackenize Weegar or any Players our Ducks are looking to add to our team?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

if that's at all true, then it's probably from the Duck's side, not his.  and not because of some issue, just minimizing salary.