The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Like, I'm not against the idea that people can get 2nd chances and be better...but...they have to want to do that and also take accountability over what they've already done and show signs/effort of changing. DeAngelo must be really really really hurting inside and insecure about something deep down...it's really sad.

19 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Like, I'm not against the idea that people can get 2nd chances and be better...but...they have to want to do that and also take accountability over what they've already done and show signs/effort of changing. DeAngelo must be really really really hurting inside and insecure about something deep down...it's really sad.

Agree, but the more I read about him the worse it looks. Seems like DeAngelo has been an a****** since juniors and has never had to face real accountability. What's pretty wild is that he was drafted 19th overall in 2014 by Tampa and then Yzerman traded him two years later for a 2nd round pick. This was after he put up 43 points in his first full AHL season. IMO, a GM doesn't do that unless there is a serious issue.

Now he's struggling on-ice and he's getting more press for things he's doing off of it. If he accepts responsibility and learns from it then I think he'll be able to continue his NHL career. If not then he can go kick rocks and learn Russian playing overseas or something.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

just some more DeAngelo bs

Rumours saying he stole Miller's puck after his first NHL goal

Keep this clown the hell away from Anaheim

2 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Disgusting man. 

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

LoL that is a you know what move but it is kinda of funny. If he could figure out how to use that energy to get under the other teams skin, you have another Sean’s Avery on your hands.

DeAngelo clears waivers.

Man, how big of a *ick do you have to be for you to be passed over by 30 teams after scoring 53 points in 68 game last season?!?!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

Disgusting man. 

Personally it would be....Bad PR for   the Ducks Getting him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Eric Stephens just confirmed a short time ago via the Athletic that the Ducks are showing interest in DeAngelo.

• Sad 1

combat locker room poison with locker room poison.  poor strategy.  and BM has all the evidence in the world that he and everyone in the current admin for the team cannot rehabilitate players in any kind of reliable manner.  

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I guess Bob McKenzie called it "kick[ing] the tires."  It's Bob Murray's job to get details.  Hopefully he noticed that the tires were covered in poisonous spikes before he kicked too hard.  If it goes further than that and we start hearing rumors that they're working on a deal, then I'll start building up my rage.  But for now, I'm comfortable with Murray just doing due diligence.

Given what's already public, why in the world would GMBM even "kick the tires" if he wasn't genuinely interested in acquiring DeAngelo? It's not like this is one of those kept-in-the-locker room mysteries as to why DeAngelo has been banished from the Rangers. In this case, I betcha "kick the tires" probably means GMBM is trying to find out how much salary the Rangers are willing to retain and what else they'd thrown in as a sweetener to take DeAngelo off their hands.

Unlike the Ducks, the Rags really don't have much in the way of veteran leadership, and he probably thinks that a more veteran locker room could get DeAngelo back in line. It could also be a low risk move if the price is right. If it's a total bust, DeAngelo could be bought out for 1/3 of his remaining contract in June, so $1.766M would be the buyout cost and the cap hit would be very manageable. Those numbers are even smaller if the Rags retain salary (which they would need to for the Ducks to make the cap hit work this season). And let's say the Rangers sweeten a trade offer with a pick.... Do I want him to get DeAngelo? No, hard pass. He sounds like a giant prick. But if GMBM does get him, it could be a shrewd gamble that pays off big time.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Given what's already public, why in the world would GMBM even "kick the tires" if he wasn't genuinely interested in acquiring DeAngelo? It's not like this is one of those kept-in-the-locker room mysteries as to why DeAngelo has been banished from the Rangers. In this case, I betcha "kick the tires" probably means GMBM is trying to find out how much salary the Rangers are willing to retain and what else they'd thrown in as a sweetener to take DeAngelo off their hands.

Unlike the Ducks, the Rags really don't have much in the way of veteran leadership, and he probably thinks that a more veteran locker room could get DeAngelo back in line. It could also be a low risk move if the price is right. If it's a total bust, DeAngelo could be bought out for 1/3 of his remaining contract in June, so $1.766M would be the buyout cost and the cap hit would be very manageable. Those numbers are even smaller if the Rags retain salary (which they would need to for the Ducks to make the cap hit work this season). And let's say the Rangers sweeten a trade offer with a pick.... Do I want him to get DeAngelo? No, hard pass. He sounds like a giant prick. But if GMBM does get him, it could be a shrewd gamble that pays off big time.

am i right in thinking that if Deangelo got injured before they decided to buy out his contract, that they'd be forced to pay the full price of the contract, and not the 1/3rd?  i think i remember that being part of the player agreement and buyouts.  you know the rangers would include a clause in the trade that they'd retain a percentage of the 1/3rd buyout cost, but not if he got injured before that option was exercised.  i may be making this too complicated - it might be that the standard for these kinds of trades is that even if the home team retains salary, they never promise to pay anything when it comes to buyouts.

7 minutes ago, Fisix said:

am i right in thinking that if Deangelo got injured before they decided to buy out his contract, that they'd be forced to pay the full price of the contract, and not the 1/3rd?  i think i remember that being part of the player agreement and buyouts.  you know the rangers would include a clause in the trade that they'd retain a percentage of the 1/3rd buyout cost, but not if he got injured before that option was exercised.  i may be making this too complicated - it might be that the standard for these kinds of trades is that even if the home team retains salary, they never promise to pay anything when it comes to buyouts.

I think the rule is that you can't buy out an injured player without their permission. Or maybe that was the old rule and it has since been changed. Not sure. I'd be pretty shocked if they were allowed to make nuanced agreements to retain salary in certain circumstances and not in others though. That would be a huge loophole for cap circumvention.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Eric Stephens just confirmed a short time ago via the Athletic that the Ducks are showing interest in DeAngelo.

Would be Unwise for the Ducks to get DeAngelo.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

14 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I guess Bob McKenzie called it "kick[ing] the tires."  It's Bob Murray's job to get details.  Hopefully he noticed that the tires were covered in poisonous spikes before he kicked too hard.  If it goes further than that and we start hearing rumors that they're working on a deal, then I'll start building up my rage.  But for now, I'm comfortable with Murray just doing due diligence.

Given the circumstances ADA might be a bargain. We all know how much GMBM likes his bargains and reclamation projects. Color me unsurprised if he ends up in Anaheim. We can only hope that should it happen, the rangers add a sweetener or retain a chunk of money). I don't think even BM would be that crazy to make a straight up trade for him. 

One more thought on DeAngelo - both Shattenkirk and Lettieri shared a locker room with him in 2017-18 and 2018-19, and I would be extremely surprised if GMBM's due diligence didn't include talking to those two guys about ADA's antics and reputation and whether he could co-exist in the Ducks locker room. If he does come here, it will likely be because one or both guys vouched for him.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

It doesn't really matter what kind of sweetener or advantageous deal Murray gets for DeAngelo.  If he can trade for his contract without actually ever letting him see the inside of a hockey rink in Southern California, fine.  I'm down.  But if Murray is acquiring him to actually play for the team, it's going to be very difficult for me to justify my fandom.  Fighting your own teammates, abusing officials, violating the AHL's diversity policy - it doesn't seem like he's interested in growing as a person.  No thank you.

If he were put on the active roster I would stop watching the Ducks until he's gone. Simple as that really. The guy is a cancer.

LOL. Laine benched tonight with 6 1/2 minutes left in the 2nd period. Zero shifts in the 3rd.

So I’m thinking our 1st + Rico + Lundestrom gets it done. Welcome to Anaheim, Patrik!

:lol:

Edited by dtsdlaw

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

LOL. Laine benched tonight with 6 1/2 minutes left in the 2nd period. Zero shifts in the 3rd.

So I’m thinking our 1st + Rico + Lundestrom gets it done. Welcome to Anaheim, Patrik!

what the fu....haha I mean, did you see him on the ice for his first game...that guy has ZERO interest being in Columbus lol

i mean... do we want a guy like that?  if he doesn't want to play, just after a trade?  wouldn't we be trading a bunch of good stuff for a risk that he'd be crap here until we traded him again?  no thanks.

he's the one getting paid, and so he's also the one who has to put more effort into making the team and coach happy... certainly more than 4 games.

this is getting silly.  i know Torts has a rep, but either Torts is ridiculous in the locker room (we'd hear more from other players if that was the case, i think), or these players are entitled Dehydrated Donkey Dungs who aren't going to be happy until they're traded to Boston or Wash or whichever frontrunner team.  if that's the new norm, i'm not sure why half the teams would stay in the league.  the Ducks would be done, maybe all the CA teams would be done, unless there was a sports team tax break of some kind (which would pretty weaksauce).  

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

i mean... do we want a guy like that?  if he doesn't want to play, just after a trade?  wouldn't we be trading a bunch of good stuff for a risk that he'd be crap here until we traded him again?  no thanks.

he's the one getting paid, and so he's also the one who has to put more effort into making the team and coach happy... certainly more than 4 games.

this is getting silly.  i know Torts has a rep, but either Torts is ridiculous in the locker room (we'd hear more from other players if that was the case, i think), or these players are entitled Dehydrated Donkey Dungs who aren't going to be happy until they're traded to Boston or Wash or whichever frontrunner team.  if that's the new norm, i'm not sure why half the teams would stay in the league.  the Ducks would be done, maybe all the CA teams would be done, unless there was a sports team tax break of some kind (which would pretty weaksauce).  

A Laine who would put in the effort would make this team so much better. Especially when Zegras makes the jump and adapts well. We would have 2 great set up guys and a genuine scorer. If Comtois can keep scoring we'd finally see some more goals. It might even take the pressure of Rakell. 

I want a Laine but it has to be the good version. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fisix said:

If you’re an elite scorer who doesn’t play a complete 200-ft game, Torts is going to bench you eventually. I’m not sure you can make any specific value judgments about Laine here. Torts would have benched Perry or Patrick Kane during their primes. Selanne would have retired at 33 if he played for Torts. That’s not to say he’s a bad coach. He’s a great coach. But he requires a certain type of player, and that type is not Laine. Pretty much everyone knew this before the trade, except for Jarmo Kekalainen apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you’re an elite scorer who doesn’t play a complete 200-ft game, Torts is going to bench you eventually. I’m not sure you can make any specific value judgments about Laine here. Torts would have benched Perry or Patrick Kane during their primes. Selanne would have retired at 33 if he played for Torts. That’s not to say he’s a bad coach. He’s a great coach. But he requires a certain type of player, and that type is not Laine. Pretty much everyone knew this before the trade, except for Jarmo Kekalainen apparently.

Yeah, I mean...even right after the trade...it seemed everyone was like "ok, well, how long till Laine is traded?" at this point CBJ might as well trade him...he's probably gonna be waiting for an offer sheet this off-season...although...what's the compensation for an offer-sheet again?? Might be worth it!

I don't know if I'd put Laine in the same realm as Kane and Perry and Selanne. I feel there is more to their game than Laine's even if they aren't "the best" at back checking. I can't pinpoint what it is...maybe effort? or attitude? or passion? Or just better team players? Better for the locker room? But Laine seems exclusively one-dimensional... like, doesn't even want to pass or enter the zone with the puck...just wants to stand and shoot.

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

if that's the new norm

i really hope it's not...and it's nice to see players like Matthews and McDavid stick with their pretty bad teams lol...although also pretty sad. MUCH better players than Laine...but...on worse teams.... Ironically, Laine has gotten closer to the finals than either of them. Also, I'm wondering if Dubois just doesn't re-sign with Winnipeg and signs with Montreal when his contract is up. I think it was said that he preferred Montreal.

But that kind sucks for Winnipeg 😕 

Edited by Jasoaks

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't know, I wouldn't ever say Selanne was good defensively but I always thought he put the effort in, it just wasn't his forte. Same with Kane. Perry would sometimes drift around getting back.

Laine seems like he doesn't even try.

A lot of players really don't seem to like Columbus. This was happening before Torts too, remember guys like Carter requesting a trade after being there for half a season.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I don't know, I wouldn't ever say Selanne was good defensively but I always thought he put the effort in, it just wasn't his forte. Same with Kane. Perry would sometimes drift around getting back.

Laine seems like he doesn't even try.

A lot of players really don't seem to like Columbus. This was happening before Torts too, remember guys like Carter requesting a trade after being there for half a season.

Everything you guys said is 100% accurate, but I never said Selanne, Perry and Kane were as bad at defense as Laine. I just said Torts would have benched them at some point. All three guys rarely defended below the tops of the circles in their own zone and they would frequently fly the zone early looking for a breakout pass. I guarantee Torts would have given them a seat on the bench for that. He doesn’t seem to care who you are or how many goals you can score, if you don’t play the game his way you’re not going to play. Which is why nearly everyone could see from a mile away that Laine was going to end up in his doghouse eventually since Laine, who probably doesn’t even know the name of his own goaltender, just isn’t a Torts type of player.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Everything you guys said is 100% accurate, but I never said Selanne, Perry and Kane were as bad at defense as Laine. I just said Torts would have benched them at some point. All three guys rarely defended below the tops of the circles in their own zone and they would frequently fly the zone early looking for a breakout pass. I guarantee Torts would have given them a seat on the bench for that. He doesn’t seem to care who you are or how many goals you can score, if you don’t play the game his way you’re not going to play. Which is why nearly everyone could see from a mile away that Laine was going to end up in his doghouse eventually since Laine, who probably doesn’t even know the name of his own goaltender, just isn’t a Torts type of player.

That was part of what Selanne hated about BB, right? In clutch moments he was benched?

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Fascinating to see just how many people don't want to be in CBJ.... Dubois, Laine (probably), Carter, Bobrovsky, Duchene, Panarin...Koivu just reitred. ...Nash stayed for a while. Is it the owners???

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Torts’ contract is up after this season and Jarmo may let him walk rather than potentially lose another star player. I’m also not going to down play the Finnish connection between him and Laine. While it’s funny that people had placed over/unders on when Laine would benched, he ain’t going anywhere lol. While Torts is good a coach and he’s not the only reason, the Blue Jackets need to figure out why they can’t keep or entice players to stay in Ohio. 

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Torts’ contract is up after this season and Jarmo may let him walk rather than potentially lose another star player. I’m also not going to down play the Finnish connection between him and Laine. While it’s funny that people had placed over/unders on when Laine would benched, he ain’t going anywhere lol. While Torts is good a coach and he’s not the only reason, the Blue Jackets need to figure out why they can’t keep or entice players to stay in Ohio. 

It actually is kind of a weird phenomenon right? Like...it can't be for record or playoff success....literally Bobrovsky chose FLORIDA over CBJ lol it doesn't seem to be coach...I mean, are their taxes crazy?? I could see that to be at least a draw to Florida. Is there some sort of reputation with being on that team?

Can't be the fans...again...see Bob going to FLORIDA lol....

I could think owners...or...I dunno.

Roslovic has 7 points in 7 games for Columbus. If he managed to break out into a 2nd line C scoring around 50-60 points a season, and Laine remained a 40 goal/year player, then that’s a win for Columbus even if Dubois puts up 90-100 points a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Wow I didn't realise that Torts is in the final year of his deal. It's pretty unusual for that to happen with coaches and GMs. Maybe you're right, the plan is to let him walk.

Let's go, Anaheim Tortorellas

Edited by nieder