The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

47 minutes ago, nieder said:

Wow I didn't realise that Torts is in the final year of his deal. It's pretty unusual for that to happen with coaches and GMs. Maybe you're right, the plan is to let him walk.

Let's go, Anaheim Tortorellas

Oddly enough, with no real offensive superstars, a solid blue line, and a world class goaltender, Torts would be a pretty good fit in Anaheim. I don't think he plays the kind of hockey Bob wants though, and I also don't get the sense he's the type of coach that would mesh well with the GM either. Plus, it would probably be weird for Torts to give pressers with a media scrum of only Eric Stephens and Elliott Teaford. :lol:

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

It actually is kind of a weird phenomenon right? Like...it can't be for record or playoff success....literally Bobrovsky chose FLORIDA over CBJ lol it doesn't seem to be coach...I mean, are their taxes crazy?? I could see that to be at least a draw to Florida. Is there some sort of reputation with being on that team?

Can't be the fans...again...see Bob going to FLORIDA lol....

I could think owners...or...I dunno.

Bobrovsky got $10M/season to spend his winters in Miami playing for Joel Quenneville. I don't think that was a hard decision.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Oddly enough, with no real offensive superstars, a solid blue line, and a world class goaltender, Torts would be a pretty good fit in Anaheim. I don't think he plays the kind of hockey Bob wants though, and I also don't get the sense he's the type of coach that would mesh well with the GM either. Plus, it would probably be weird for Torts to give pressers with a media scrum of only Eric Stephens and Elliott Teaford. :lol:

You can have Torts or Zegras, you won’t have both!

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

You can have Torts or Zegras, you won’t have both!

Does Zegras not play a 200’ game? I was under the impression Zegras had some Kesler like qualities.

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Does Zegras not play a 200’ game? I was under the impression Zegras had some Kesler like qualities.

He doesn't have any glaring deficiencies on defense a la Sprong or Aberg and does have an edge to his game. I was just joking that Tortorella would help drive him out of town.

18 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

That shift where Carolina scored the tying goal, Laine could not have been less interested in defense.  I know his job is to mark the right point, but 1) he wasn't doing that since he was staring at the puck - his man could have moved right to the edge of the crease and he would have had no idea; and 2) he watched a player and the puck move into his area, unchecked, and just stood there and watched.  I don't blame Tortorella at all for benching him.  It's that kind of shift, too, that supports my wariness about acquiring him.  How good can a one-dimensional player truly be?  Yes, he's amazing at the one dimension.  But everything else is below average or worse - skating, passing, forechecking.  He might be the worst defensive player in the league.  Of course you'll take him because he's a 40-goal scorer and he'll still give you positive value because that goal-scoring skill is off the charts.  And the Ducks could really use some scoring skill.  But man, I don't look forward to watching the "controller disconnected" defense.

I have never played hockey so this may seem like a dumb question but to what extent can you cope with a guy not playing defense? Say you have Laine out there with 2 defensively responsible forwards, is it doable? Because he is one dimensional but like you say, we desperately need some goals. 

Having said that I also think it's more likely CBJ lets Torts walk after this season and they'll try to keep Laine. 

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I have never played hockey so this may seem like a dumb question but to what extent can you cope with a guy not playing defense? Say you have Laine out there with 2 defensively responsible forwards, is it doable? Because he is one dimensional but like you say, we desperately need some goals. 

Having said that I also think it's more likely CBJ lets Torts walk after this season and they'll try to keep Laine. 

Without even one guy back in the play at least standing at the point, there will be one guy open and basically that team would be on the power play whenever said player is on the ice. The player needs to get back and at least get into a passing lane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Apparently Laine's benching was due to verbally disrespecting a coach, and not due to his...defense (??) on that play.  I know he can score like crazy, but I don't know that I'm interested in all the issues.

Insane. He's been there 2 minutes and already mouthing off to the coaches.

53 minutes ago, nieder said:

We don't know what was said, so I'm not ready to call it "mouthing off." What if it was something as simple as saying the power play scheme is crap a little too loud? Columbus has been a bottom-5 PP for the past three seasons under assistant coach Brad Larsen despite having some pretty talented forwards, so something is not right there. Heck, if we got a 40-goal scorer and he turned around the next day and told Morrison that his power play scheme sucks, I'd pin one of those 12 alternating "A"s on him between periods.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nieder said:

The NHL is getting softer each season. If a coach like Torts gets mad that someone said something out of line.... He should watch the interviews he gives. It’s stupid that  a player can’t tell someone in the coaching staff that it isn’t working.. I wish someone on our team *cough Getzlaf* would show some passion in saying the current system isn’t working.

Seriously,  just look at Marty Wilford. Guy looks like he’s waiting for players to beat him up on the bench after a crappy PP. the guy hasn’t had success EVER. 
im saying something if I’m a top player in the league. Tortarella is an a-hole , it must suck for star players to tell you that your system is incompetent. 

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

Again, there are right ways and wrong ways (and times) to say something.  If my boss tells me to do something and it doesn't work, I don't just get to say in a meeting in front of everyone, "See, a-hole?  You're a moron for thinking this will work." I would at least get written up for that and possibly fired.  Instead, I would call him to ask him for a meeting and tell him I want to talk to him about my concerns. 

There is a ton of nuance to this particular situation that we're unaware of because we don't know exactly what was said or what prompted it.  But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players to respect their coaches.

Pro sports do not equal real life. Pro athletes also play with an emotional edge that everyday workers can't relate to (unless you're a first responder, military, etc.) and it's not fair to hold them to the same standards that Joe the office worker should live up to during a Zoom call. Heck, Tom Brady has had multiple screaming matches with his offensive coordinators over the years during games. And then there's Ovechkin, who once called Boudreau a "Fat F@ck" on the bench (on live TV) during a game in 2011 when BB drew up a play at the end of the game with the goalie pulled and had the gall to not use Ovi as the 6th attacker. I don't think it should be a regular thing, but if a player crosses the line and says something during the heat of battle, I don't think it should be a disqualifier (Ovi went on to score at least 48 goals 6 times since then and win a Cup).

So I'll take Laine every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He's going to pot 50 the next time he plays 82 games.

39 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Again, there are right ways and wrong ways (and times) to say something.  If my boss tells me to do something and it doesn't work, I don't just get to say in a meeting in front of everyone, "See, a-hole?  You're a moron for thinking this will work." I would at least get written up for that and possibly fired.  Instead, I would call him to ask him for a meeting and tell him I want to talk to him about my concerns. 

There is a ton of nuance to this particular situation that we're unaware of because we don't know exactly what was said or what prompted it.  But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players to respect their coaches.

We are talking about Torts though. You can’t expect that a player won’t voice his opinion. How do you know that he said this in front of the entire squad? Do you think Dubois didn’t voice displeasure before the media caught hold of it ? Torts is the problem , not Laine. He is well known for his outdated style just as much as RC was known for is out of date systems and boys club attitude. If a player scores goals, they should be in the lineup. If the Jackets lost that game, there would be a whole different context surrounding it. Torts blows 

58 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Treating people with respect is real life regardless of your profession.  There's a scale, sure, and what flies for my work and what flies in the NHL are different.  But there is still a line, and if Laine crossed it, he deserves to be benched.  There is nothing unfair about that.

This isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I was already not super high on Laine, so I'm even less inclined to give up assets for him (and then pay him $10 million).  He might score 50 while watching the guy he's supposed to be marking score 49.  He's a power play machine, but advanced stat models hate his play at 5-on-5.  

his value has certainly gone down.  he's shown he can be a bit of a risk with respect to long-term value to the team.

i'm guessing Ovi saying his bad words at BB didn't happen within the first 4 games they played together.  i'm with you, dtslaw, in terms of passion and forgiveness/ignoring blab during a game, but not before a rapport has been established, even in pro sports (and certainly with Torts and right after Torts and his GM just shipped a scorer for being a jackass).  it's actually pretty dumb for Laine to choose to be a punk in that situation (i mean, read the room, doofus), and that drops his value even further.  jackass+dumbass != $10M/year + 1st round draft pick + prospect (Z or D).

15 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm not okay with a player disrespecting his coaches, assuming his coach isn't disrespecting him.  We have no idea what was said, but I have to assume that Columbus isn't throwing false information out there to smear a star player that they just acquired and are hoping to re-sign.  So I'm comfortable assuming SOMETHING was said, and it wasn't nice.  If it's a one-time deal, fine.  But there are all sorts of red flags here - Laine has been known as a malcontent for a while, so this isn't a completely isolated incident.  And he's been in Columbus all of 10 days - he probably hasn't even unpacked yet; why is he already causing issues?

If he's frustrated with a terrible power play, I get it.  But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about discussing that kind of thing with the coaching staff.  If he doesn't respect the coaches enough to choose the right ways, he's not a guy I want to pay a $10 million to be around making everyone else miserable.

He wants to be in Anaheim 😄 

No it sure is weird. At least give it a chance. Columbus has been fairly competitive while seeing their best players go (Bobrovsky, Panarin). I think it's a decent team to play for. But should he want to be somewhere else I guess that's that. 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:02 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

He wants to be in Anaheim 😄 

No it sure is weird. At least give it a chance. Columbus has been fairly competitive while seeing their best players go (Bobrovsky, Panarin). I think it's a decent team to play for. But should he want to be somewhere else I guess that's that. 

IF Laine wants to be Anaheim...he might as well signed with our Ducks in Summer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

IF Laine wants to be Anaheim...he might as well signed with our Ducks in Summer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Oh, you right, I did not realize that Patrick Laine's contract will expire after this season. Ducks could be in perfect position to make a pitch for him: Getzlaf $8.25 mil, Backes $5.5 mil and Rowney $1.1 mil contracts will expire, and if Ducks will convince Kesler to finally retire, his $6.75 mil would be off the books as well.

The Ducks will have a tons of money under salary cap to pursue someone of P. Laine statue. If we had GM like B. Burke, he would go after him. However, I afraid our current manager will find some no-name replacement for Rowney and that will be it.

Edited by FanSince1993

17 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Oh, you right, I did not realize that Patrick Laine's contract will expire after this season. Ducks could be in perfect position to make a pitch for him: Getzlaf $8.25 mil, Backes $5.5 mil and Rowney $1.1 mil contracts will expire, and if Ducks will convince Kesler to finally retire, his $6.75 mil would be off the books as well.

The Ducks will have a tons of money under salary cap to pursue someone of P. Laine statue. If we had GM like B. Burke, he would go after him. However, I afraid our current manager will find some no-name replacement for Rowney and that will be it.

Why would Kesler "retire" and forfeit $6.75M?  Would you? He'll remain on LTIR and continue to collect his salary. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

Why would Kesler "retire" and forfeit $6.75M?  Would you? He'll remain on LTIR and continue to collect his salary. 

I never understood why players get paid  when they don’t play. It is clear their career is over. Void the contract. If you don’t go to work for more than a week or two you don’t get paid (minus vacation, sick... Etc). What’s to keep some people from faking it. Anyway off topic I guess, but doesn’t keslers contract not count towards the cap if he is on LTIR? We should be free from the cap hit at least.

Having said all that, there was speculation that Laine wanted to play for one of the so cal teams before he was traded (beggars can’t be choosers). So maybe he would act right if he was where he wanted to be. Maybe put a no complaint clause in the contract.

Edited by ike-1

2 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Galchenyuk placed on waivers via Carolina . Cheap cap hit. Would have to quarantine for 2 weeks but hey???? 

No. No one wants him for a reason. He has bounced from team to team more than anyone in the league over the last 3-4 years. We have too many guys in the bottom 6-9 the way it is. We need to move 2-3 fourth liners to bring in a second or even a first liner.

Edited by ike-1

41 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

No. No one wants him for a reason. He has bounced from team to team more than anyone in the league over the last 3-4 years. We have too many guys in the bottom 6-9 the way it is. We need to move 2-3 fourth liners to bring in a second or even a first liner.

Trade someone on the depth chart  for a pick, swoop up Galchenyuk. It’s low risk/high reward. It’s not like he’s De Angelo and Kane with attitude problems. He got completely screwed playing in Montreal, played for the Coyotes (which I could argue are just as bad as us at our worst). Give him a chance?

he is definitely a top 6 . You’re crazy 

4 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Galchenyuk placed on waivers via Carolina . Cheap cap hit. Would have to quarantine for 2 weeks but hey???? 

Don't Forget Leo Komarov

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Don't Forget Leo Komarov

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Gal > Komarov. Younger and can score goals in the right situation 

Just now, yeaitsme said:

Gal > Komarov. Younger and can score goals in the right situation 

Good Point....Say IF our Ducks pick Gal up I think he would do well under DE tutorage.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

14 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I believe hed be an RFA, right? So, Columbus would just have to not give him a qualifying offer? Not sure how it works. I can't imagine why he'd want to be in Anaheim...unless he sees a player like Zegras and thinks he'll be on a line with him. But I think if he's looking at CA...he's looking at life style reasons at this point...which...makes me think he wouldn't be the hard working player we would want him to be...

Edited by Jasoaks

On 2/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, yeaitsme said:

Aaaand now he is a Leaf. What is with this guy? Why is he being moved so much?

On 2/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, yeaitsme said:

sigh, Leafs grabbed him.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

not a fan of that article.

me too..

and after watched highlights TOR-OTS.... how the hell they can give up a 5:1 vs OTS?! they needs defense and not more offense! Manson here:)

maybe better something like Manson and Rakell for Marner...

• Like 1