The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

From Elliotte Friedman yesterday:

"The Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks have looked at a multi-piece deal involving Danton Heinen and Jake Virtanen to try and make the money work. Could see the Ducks trying to get the Canucks to take Derek Grant‘s contract."

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

From Elliotte Friedman yesterday:

"The Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks have looked at a multi-piece deal involving Danton Heinen and Jake Virtanen to try and make the money work. Could see the Ducks trying to get the Canucks to take Derek Grant‘s contract."

Another bottom 6-9 forward? We already have a collection of them. 

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson for Rantanen would be a steal. I would forgive BM all sins he made against this team.

The only reason you’re okay with that is the expectation that Dostal is coming, but he’s still incredibly young. 

Also goaltending is much more fragile and hard to come by. Rantanen is amazing and I wouldn’t scoff at at acquiring him (not that it would ever happen). 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, FanSince1993 said:

Another bottom 6-9 forward? We already have a collection of them. 

Grant, Heinen vs Virtanen, 2nd... why not... it would be a top 45 pick.

14 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson for Rantanen would be a steal. I would forgive BM all sins he made against this team.

thats what I said in an other thread. they have a lot of other elite forwards (McKinnon, Landeskog) and prospects like Newhook.. and their D would be great with Gibson...

23 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Trading Gibson would dealt a blow to the Goaltending Depth.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If something doesn't change rather quickly, I can see Gibson asking for a trade. We hang him out to dry WAY too often, and the "retool" is a total F'd up mess. My only hope is that Bargain Basement has something really great up his sleeve for the offseason. Something like say, .....a blockbuster hockey trade or spending on a 1st class free agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustaDucksFan said:

If something doesn't change rather quickly, I can see Gibson asking for a trade. We hang him out to dry WAY too often, and the "retool" is a total F'd up mess. My only hope is that Bargain Basement has something really great up his sleeve for the offseason. Something like say, .....a blockbuster hockey trade or spending on a 1st class free agent.

I agree. Murray can’t use cap space as an excuse after this season. There’s nowhere to hide. 

• Like 2

Murray: "I'm not going to sugarcoat anything," Murray said. "Our record is not good enough. I expected to be better and we're not. There's no sugarcoating it." Murray said the coach's job is not in jeopardy, but he would be looking to upgrade the roster before the 2021 NHL Trade Deadline on April 12.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-coach-dallas-eakins-job-status-update/c-322272424

upgrade the roster seems like he wants the compete-now-modus? after 2 wins we are going now for the cup or what?!

23 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Gibson has been average the last 3 years. Yesterday's game against the Kings is a clear example of it. He has trade value because some GM's still believe he is an "elite" goaltender. I afraid if he is not traded within a year, the next 4-5 seasons we'll stuck with him like Kings with Jonathan Quick. As far as goaltending depth, if you look at the history, every summer some very good goaltenders available either thru free agency or thru trades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Murray: "I'm not going to sugarcoat anything," Murray said. "Our record is not good enough. I expected to be better and we're not. There's no sugarcoating it." Murray said the coach's job is not in jeopardy, but he would be looking to upgrade the roster before the 2021 NHL Trade Deadline on April 12.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-coach-dallas-eakins-job-status-update/c-322272424

upgrade the roster seems like he wants the compete-now-modus? after 2 wins we are going now for the cup or what?!

Upgrade the roster? Yikes, I hope it’s by way of addition by subtraction! Also, his comments about Getzlaf make it seem like he has no fear of losing his job and will remain GM after this season. On a positive note, he used the word “rebuild”!

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson has been average the last 3 years. Yesterday's game against the Kings is a clear example of it. He has trade value because some GM's still believe he is an "elite" goaltender. I afraid if he is not traded within a year, the next 4-5 seasons we'll stuck with him like Kings with Jonathan Quick. As far as goaltending depth, if you look at the history, every summer some very good goaltenders available either thru free agency or thru trades.

I’m not sure where you get that Gibson has been average over the last three years and is not one of the best goalies in the NHL. Has he been a significant reason why the Ducks have been bad and losing all these games? I’m genuinely curious.

In last night’s game, I think on 3 of those goals, (the first two and the 5th) no goalie is stopping those shots. Two horrible defensive breakdowns with a guy wide open in slot who make great shots and a great redirect on a shot that was going a foot wide. Was it a stellar game from him? Not really but the team actually gave him goal support to make up for that, much of which they inflicted upon him lol.

39 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

On a positive note, he used the word “rebuild”!

I thought that too, that I hope he not only said it, he hopfully think and mean it...

9 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Interesting that neither that NHL.com article nor The Athletic article nor Teaford's OC Register article gives a specific quote from Murray about wanting to make trades to upgrade the roster. The closest any of them provided to an actual quote was Stephens citing this statement: “I’m openly talking and listening about lots of things,” he said. “We’ve got to.” I can't help but wonder what GMBM's actual comment was, since he tends to be so cagey with such things. My suspicion is that he is still trying to tinker but not necessarily make major moves before the deadline. Something more along the lines of the Heinen <--> Virtanen rumor (i.e. more deck chairs).

I also found his comment about the kids interesting:

“I’ve got a much clearer picture right now of some of the younger guys than I did at the same point last year,” Murray said. “I can definitely see some things here where I think they fit into the puzzle of making a winning hockey team.”

Hopefully this means that he is now more realistic about the ceilings on some of these guys.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hopefully this means that he is now more realistic about the ceilings on some of these guys.

i wonder if Steel being "demoted" to the 4th line is part of that. Basically seeing he's an energy guy that has good defensive instincts, but doesn't really have the finish or offense. But can be killer in the face-off. Vermette. But is definitely an upgrade from Rowney.

Each day Comtois is looking more and more like a beast. Lundestrom is earning his Seattle protection, like you said. And Terry with confidence could be scary. Rakell finally starting to find the scoring touch again. And Z. Oh, Z. ❤️ 

6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

i wonder if Steel being "demoted" to the 4th line is part of that. Basically seeing he's an energy guy that has good defensive instincts, but doesn't really have the finish or offense. But can be killer in the face-off. Vermette. But is definitely an upgrade from Rowney.

Each day Comtois is looking more and more like a beast. Lundestrom is earning his Seattle protection, like you said. And Terry with confidence could be scary. Rakell finally starting to find the scoring touch again. And Z. Oh, Z. ❤️ 

Terry has some really good puck skills, but I still don't see him doing much when he doesn't have a lot of open ice to play with on the wings. There's really nothing scary about him. A tight checking team with a decent goaltender can make him disappear. And I'm still waiting for Bob to realize Terry should be a center. Maybe the next GM will see it...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Terry has some really good puck skills, but I still don't see him doing much when he doesn't have a lot of open ice to play with on the wings. There's really nothing scary about him. A tight checking team with a decent goaltender can make him disappear. And I'm still waiting for Bob to realize Terry should be a center. Maybe the next GM will see it...

Terry just needs to put on some muscle and weight he will be a solid second liner.

Sam Reinhart would make Great fit in our Ducks System of Hockey.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Terry is frustrating because you can see the skill and you can see how he could be a nice distributor on a second line with some scoring wingers.  But he'll never get there because his hockey instincts are poor and, most importantly, he is the weakest on his skates of any player I've seen in the NHL in a while.  At this point in his career you know the Ducks have been working with him on his strength.  He's, what, 22 or 23 now?  He might have a little filling out to do, but I think he's probably always going to have this issue.  I'm skeptical that the other skills will ever make up for it.  Can you imagine Terry in a playoff series when the checking gets tighter?  Yeesh.

I won't argue with the weak on his skates part, but I'm not so sure about the bad instincts. I see him being asked to do a lot of things as a winger in Eakins' system that don't fit with his skill set. If he were being played in a way that fits better with his skill set, I think he'd show better instincts. Or at least not give away the puck as often as he does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

You saw the play where he decided to skate over behind Comtois on a 2-on-1?  That had nothing to do with being a winger.  That might be the single worst individual play all season.  It was so inexplicable.  There are other times when he does puzzling things with the puck or goes to weird places on the ice, particularly in the offensive zone. 

Maybe the positional stuff would be helped by moving him to center.  The Ducks might as well try it.  They've got nothing to lose.  But I can't wait until he lines up for a faceoff and the opposing center breathes hard and knocks him out of the circle.

Didn't see it but will take your word for it. I've seen a lot of weird decisions from the kids on zone entries this season though. Maybe that's the weirdest one, but it's certainly not an outlier with this team.

In terms of size, he's basically the same size as Elias Pettersson, who I think they play with bigger wingers in Vancouver. It also seems like you can get away with being a bit smaller in the middle if you've got a great stick. Guys like Henrik Sedin and Danny Briere come to mind. Her certainly needs to hit the weight room and work on his courage, but his skill set is there to play center at a high level IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 3:00 AM, Spike1981 said:

What a fool.

17 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

So he's trying to make lemonade out of dog turds.

LMAO thanks for the chuckle.

The Flames were believed to have offered Sam Bennett in return for Rakell, however the Ducks were looking for at least a 2nd-round draft pick in a package with Bennett.

The Flames then fired their coach, and now Bennett's been given a new lease on life.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/03/calgary-flames-reject-anaheim-ducks.html

if your offer isn't good enough, you're fired!

Rakell for Bennett and a middle second? is that enough for Rakell? hope they wanted more then only that for Rakell... we have enough Bennett type 20-30 points players in our roster, even Rowney could do 20 points. but players like Rakell we not so many, maybe one in Comtois... or is Bennett known for defensive work?

Edited by Spike1981
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/03/calgary-flames-reject-anaheim-ducks.html

if your offer isn't good enough, you're fired!

Rakell for Bennett and a middle second? is that enough for Rakell? hope they wanted more then only that for Rakell... we have enough Bennett type 20-30 points players in our roster, even Rowney could do 20 points. but players like Rakell we not so many, maybe one in Comtois... or is Bennett known for defensive work?

Rakell is our best forward at the moment. He should be part of the rebuild.
If BM trades him I hope it'll be the last thing he does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Rakell is our best forward at the moment. He should be part of the rebuild.
If BM trades him I hope it'll be the last thing he does. 

sign, he, Zegras and Drysdale should be untouchable, if they not request for a trade.

According to TSN...there is high Demand for Rickard Rakell. IMHO Ducks should be Playing it to their advantage...DEMAND the Most see which team makes their move and agree on the right price. It's time our Team...Anaheim Ducks MAKE DEMANDS of their OWN.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

According to TSN...there is high Demand for Rickard Rakell. IMHO Ducks should be Playing it to their advantage...DEMAND the Most see which team makes their move and agree on the right price. It's time our Team...Anaheim Ducks MAKE DEMANDS of their OWN.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Won't be surprised if he trades him for a late first round pick. The only decent forward on the roster with reasonable contract. Come up, Bob, trade him. Make some more damage to this team before you'll get fired.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Won't be surprised if he trades him for a late first round pick. The only decent forward on the roster with reasonable contract. Come up, Bob, trade him. Make some more damage to this team before you'll get fired.

Ducks should get player in return...No more no less.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Of all the seasons to trade your best player for a draft pick, it would be so Bob Murray to do it when the juniors seasons have been canceled/postponed and most scouts can't watch games in-person even where they are playing due to the pandemic. He's arrogant about his drafting like that though. Probably thinks he can pick good ones just by their astrological sign and the town in Sweden where they were born.

• Haha 1

Would any of you make this trade (the money is right, and COL is looking for a goalie):

Gibson

for

Francouz

JT Compher

Byram

?

I don't believe Gibson is going to be the goalie they need when they are good again - 2-3 years. They sure don't need him for this season or next.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Would any of you make this trade (the money is right, and COL is looking for a goalie):

Gibson

for

Francouz

JT Compher

Byram

?

I don't believe Gibson is going to be the goalie they need when they are good again - 2-3 years. They sure don't need him for this season or next.

we have now 49 contracts...