The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

58 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Treating people with respect is real life regardless of your profession.  There's a scale, sure, and what flies for my work and what flies in the NHL are different.  But there is still a line, and if Laine crossed it, he deserves to be benched.  There is nothing unfair about that.

This isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I was already not super high on Laine, so I'm even less inclined to give up assets for him (and then pay him $10 million).  He might score 50 while watching the guy he's supposed to be marking score 49.  He's a power play machine, but advanced stat models hate his play at 5-on-5.  

his value has certainly gone down.  he's shown he can be a bit of a risk with respect to long-term value to the team.

i'm guessing Ovi saying his bad words at BB didn't happen within the first 4 games they played together.  i'm with you, dtslaw, in terms of passion and forgiveness/ignoring blab during a game, but not before a rapport has been established, even in pro sports (and certainly with Torts and right after Torts and his GM just shipped a scorer for being a jackass).  it's actually pretty dumb for Laine to choose to be a punk in that situation (i mean, read the room, doofus), and that drops his value even further.  jackass+dumbass != $10M/year + 1st round draft pick + prospect (Z or D).

15 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm not okay with a player disrespecting his coaches, assuming his coach isn't disrespecting him.  We have no idea what was said, but I have to assume that Columbus isn't throwing false information out there to smear a star player that they just acquired and are hoping to re-sign.  So I'm comfortable assuming SOMETHING was said, and it wasn't nice.  If it's a one-time deal, fine.  But there are all sorts of red flags here - Laine has been known as a malcontent for a while, so this isn't a completely isolated incident.  And he's been in Columbus all of 10 days - he probably hasn't even unpacked yet; why is he already causing issues?

If he's frustrated with a terrible power play, I get it.  But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about discussing that kind of thing with the coaching staff.  If he doesn't respect the coaches enough to choose the right ways, he's not a guy I want to pay a $10 million to be around making everyone else miserable.

He wants to be in Anaheim 😄 

No it sure is weird. At least give it a chance. Columbus has been fairly competitive while seeing their best players go (Bobrovsky, Panarin). I think it's a decent team to play for. But should he want to be somewhere else I guess that's that. 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:02 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

He wants to be in Anaheim 😄 

No it sure is weird. At least give it a chance. Columbus has been fairly competitive while seeing their best players go (Bobrovsky, Panarin). I think it's a decent team to play for. But should he want to be somewhere else I guess that's that. 

IF Laine wants to be Anaheim...he might as well signed with our Ducks in Summer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

IF Laine wants to be Anaheim...he might as well signed with our Ducks in Summer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Oh, you right, I did not realize that Patrick Laine's contract will expire after this season. Ducks could be in perfect position to make a pitch for him: Getzlaf $8.25 mil, Backes $5.5 mil and Rowney $1.1 mil contracts will expire, and if Ducks will convince Kesler to finally retire, his $6.75 mil would be off the books as well.

The Ducks will have a tons of money under salary cap to pursue someone of P. Laine statue. If we had GM like B. Burke, he would go after him. However, I afraid our current manager will find some no-name replacement for Rowney and that will be it.

Edited by FanSince1993

17 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Oh, you right, I did not realize that Patrick Laine's contract will expire after this season. Ducks could be in perfect position to make a pitch for him: Getzlaf $8.25 mil, Backes $5.5 mil and Rowney $1.1 mil contracts will expire, and if Ducks will convince Kesler to finally retire, his $6.75 mil would be off the books as well.

The Ducks will have a tons of money under salary cap to pursue someone of P. Laine statue. If we had GM like B. Burke, he would go after him. However, I afraid our current manager will find some no-name replacement for Rowney and that will be it.

Why would Kesler "retire" and forfeit $6.75M?  Would you? He'll remain on LTIR and continue to collect his salary. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

Why would Kesler "retire" and forfeit $6.75M?  Would you? He'll remain on LTIR and continue to collect his salary. 

I never understood why players get paid  when they don’t play. It is clear their career is over. Void the contract. If you don’t go to work for more than a week or two you don’t get paid (minus vacation, sick... Etc). What’s to keep some people from faking it. Anyway off topic I guess, but doesn’t keslers contract not count towards the cap if he is on LTIR? We should be free from the cap hit at least.

Having said all that, there was speculation that Laine wanted to play for one of the so cal teams before he was traded (beggars can’t be choosers). So maybe he would act right if he was where he wanted to be. Maybe put a no complaint clause in the contract.

Edited by ike-1

2 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Galchenyuk placed on waivers via Carolina . Cheap cap hit. Would have to quarantine for 2 weeks but hey???? 

No. No one wants him for a reason. He has bounced from team to team more than anyone in the league over the last 3-4 years. We have too many guys in the bottom 6-9 the way it is. We need to move 2-3 fourth liners to bring in a second or even a first liner.

Edited by ike-1

41 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

No. No one wants him for a reason. He has bounced from team to team more than anyone in the league over the last 3-4 years. We have too many guys in the bottom 6-9 the way it is. We need to move 2-3 fourth liners to bring in a second or even a first liner.

Trade someone on the depth chart  for a pick, swoop up Galchenyuk. It’s low risk/high reward. It’s not like he’s De Angelo and Kane with attitude problems. He got completely screwed playing in Montreal, played for the Coyotes (which I could argue are just as bad as us at our worst). Give him a chance?

he is definitely a top 6 . You’re crazy 

4 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Galchenyuk placed on waivers via Carolina . Cheap cap hit. Would have to quarantine for 2 weeks but hey???? 

Don't Forget Leo Komarov

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Don't Forget Leo Komarov

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Gal > Komarov. Younger and can score goals in the right situation 

Just now, yeaitsme said:

Gal > Komarov. Younger and can score goals in the right situation 

Good Point....Say IF our Ducks pick Gal up I think he would do well under DE tutorage.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, ike-1 said:

I never understood why players get paid  when they don’t play. It is clear their career is over. Void the contract. If you don’t go to work for more than a week or two you don’t get paid (minus vacation, sick... Etc). What’s to keep some people from faking it. Anyway off topic I guess, but doesn’t keslers contract not count towards the cap if he is on LTIR? We should be free from the cap hit at least.

Having said all that, there was speculation that Laine wanted to play for one of the so cal teams before he was traded (beggars can’t be choosers). So maybe he would act right if he was where he wanted to be. Maybe put a no complaint clause in the contract.

Players in the NHL are on a contract, and that contract is governed by the collective bargaining agreement which says that all NHL contracts are guaranteed.  There is no breach for a player being injured.  If a team were to void the contract, they'd be in violation of the collective bargaining agreement and, in addition to having the pants sued off of them, would see the number of players who want to sign with them go to zero.

Teams have their own doctors and trainers who can examine players, so a guy who's faking it would be found out pretty quickly, and then he WOULD be in breach of his contract.  Injuries are part of the NHL, which is why the NHLPA negotiated guaranteed contracts for their players.  Otherwise, who would play physically?  You risk hurting yourself or someone else and completely ruining their career.  That's still a possibility now, but much less of one since players still get paid.  The sport is better for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I believe hed be an RFA, right? So, Columbus would just have to not give him a qualifying offer? Not sure how it works. I can't imagine why he'd want to be in Anaheim...unless he sees a player like Zegras and thinks he'll be on a line with him. But I think if he's looking at CA...he's looking at life style reasons at this point...which...makes me think he wouldn't be the hard working player we would want him to be...

Edited by Jasoaks

On 2/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, yeaitsme said:

Aaaand now he is a Leaf. What is with this guy? Why is he being moved so much?

On 2/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, yeaitsme said:

sigh, Leafs grabbed him.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

not a fan of that article.

me too..

and after watched highlights TOR-OTS.... how the hell they can give up a 5:1 vs OTS?! they needs defense and not more offense! Manson here:)

maybe better something like Manson and Rakell for Marner...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ducks-maple-leafs-trade-partners-rickard-rakell/

now after his maybe best career game... for Engvall (7th round pick) and Robertson... no thx.

Let's trade our most dynamic forward (who's snake bitten that's for sure) for a third liner who doesn't exactly light it up and an unproven forward. If he's that good why don't you keep him?

10 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Let's trade our most dynamic forward (who's snake bitten that's for sure) for a third liner who doesn't exactly light it up and an unproven forward. If he's that good why don't you keep him?

I not at all want that trade. with Manson and Marner okay. but I would trade away earlier some others (Silvy, Henrique, Manson).

Manson we don't need any more, we have Shatt and Drysdale for this role. and we can only protect 3 defenders (Fowler, Lindholm, Shattenkirk)...

8 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ducks-maple-leafs-trade-partners-rickard-rakell/

now after his maybe best career game... for Engvall (7th round pick) and Robertson... no thx.

huh...

...Dubas should be fired if his big move is to get ANOTHER forward. I just don't feel like scoring is the maple leafs issues...

Honestly, they should be looking for Lindholm. Or Manson as everyone is saying. But I would imagine a trade involving Lindholm then someone like Marner is more likely in the conversation. Manson...probably more like Nylander.

Now, I don't think we can afford to lose Lindholm. Not saying we should. Just saying what seems more "realistic" to me, a random dude that knows nothing of trade values lol

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Give up the ONLY decent forward on the roster for a bunch of warm bodies to increase an army of bottom 6-9 forwards? How about W. Nylander for anybody from the list: Steel, Jones, Terry, Heinen? They are welcome to chose anybody from this list, no hesitation.

Edited by FanSince1993

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I not at all want that trade. with Manson and Marner okay. but I would trade away earlier some others (Silvy, Henrique, Manson).

Manson we don't need any more, we have Shatt and Drysdale for this role. and we can only protect 3 defenders (Fowler, Lindholm, Shattenkirk)...

I can't make a case for protecting a 32-year-old below-average defender who is on pace for <15 points this season. Especially with Drysdale playing well at the AHL level and looking like he may be ready for a 3rd pair role next season. When Manson comes back, I'm hoping HCDE has the stones to put Shattenkirk either on the 3rd pair or in the press box so the Ducks can role with 47-42 and 4-28 as the top-4. If he doesn't, that'll be confirmation that he is either a lousy coach or he is not the one who is actually calling the shots on lineup decisions.

Prior to this season I was pretty convinced that the Ducks should protect 4F+4D in the coming expansion draft. My mind has been completely changed by (a) Hakanpaa's emergence, (b) Lundestrom's solid play recently, and (c) Shattenkirk's abysmal play. Things can change obviously, but based on what we've seen through the first 3rd of this season, if GMBM goes 4F+4D to protect his golden goose Shattenkirk instead of protecting 7 forwards, he should be fired on the spot. Shattenkirk doesn't deserve a spot in the top-4, let alone a protected spot in the ED. Protect Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson, then re-sign Hawk, and the D is in great shape next season with Drysdale, Larsson, Mahura coming up. I'd also re-sign Hutton if Shatty is selected in the ED. 

• Like 1

Rumors of Gibson,Getzlaf and Hernique is result of Slow news day and gossip...I personally Feel there is no base for it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I can't make a case for protecting a 32-year-old below-average defender who is on pace for <15 points this season. Especially with Drysdale playing well at the AHL level and looking like he may be ready for a 3rd pair role next season. When Manson comes back, I'm hoping HCDE has the stones to put Shattenkirk either on the 3rd pair or in the press box so the Ducks can role with 47-42 and 4-28 as the top-4. If he doesn't, that'll be confirmation that he is either a lousy coach or he is not the one who is actually calling the shots on lineup decisions.

Prior to this season I was pretty convinced that the Ducks should protect 4F+4D in the coming expansion draft. My mind has been completely changed by (a) Hakanpaa's emergence, (b) Lundestrom's solid play recently, and (c) Shattenkirk's abysmal play. Things can change obviously, but based on what we've seen through the first 3rd of this season, if GMBM goes 4F+4D to protect his golden goose Shattenkirk instead of protecting 7 forwards, he should be fired on the spot. Shattenkirk doesn't deserve a spot in the top-4, let alone a protected spot in the ED. Protect Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson, then re-sign Hawk, and the D is in great shape next season with Drysdale, Larsson, Mahura coming up. I'd also re-sign Hutton if Shatty is selected in the ED. 

If Manson is still here after the trade deadline. With his link to Toronto over the last bit, and the Leafs being in real contention, arguably a solid D from taking that final step, Manson may be out of here. Then there are the other 15 teams looking for help on D for the playoffs. Manson (and retain some salary for the strapped teams, cause we have it) could fetch us a lot. Nylander PLUS a 1st. If the deal is a good make it and protect one more of the young forwards or a player coming back in the trade.

50 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

If Manson is still here after the trade deadline. With his link to Toronto over the last bit, and the Leafs being in real contention, arguably a solid D from taking that final step, Manson may be out of here. Then there are the other 15 teams looking for help on D for the playoffs. Manson (and retain some salary for the strapped teams, cause we have it) could fetch us a lot. Nylander PLUS a 1st. If the deal is a good make it and protect one more of the young forwards or a player coming back in the trade.

I can't see any playoff team adding a D-man with a year left on his contract just for the playoffs this season. Nobody good enough to be in the playoffs has an open spot on their expansion draft protection list for him, and they're not going to give up much for a guy that they'd have to just expose to Seattle a few weeks later. There are also quite a few D-men that are pending UFAs this season who will probably be available at the deadline. Names like Alex Edler, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Brandon Montour, Ian Cole, Adam Larsson, etc., etc. Bob is not going to get any good offers for Manson at the deadline with all of those names on the market. If Manson gets moved, it'll be over the summer. And honestly, why move him if Shattenkirk continues to suck as bad as he has already?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I can't see any playoff team adding a D-man with a year left on his contract just for the playoffs this season. Nobody good enough to be in the playoffs has an open spot on their expansion draft protection list for him, and they're not going to give up much for a guy that they'd have to just expose to Seattle a few weeks later. There are also quite a few D-men that are pending UFAs this season who will probably be available at the deadline. Names like Alex Edler, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Brandon Montour, Ian Cole, Adam Larsson, etc., etc. Bob is not going to get any good offers for Manson at the deadline with all of those names on the market. If Manson gets moved, it'll be over the summer. And honestly, why move him if Shattenkirk continues to suck as bad as he has already?

disagree.  Manson even in his current slump form is better than those, particularly for those teams in need of real D for a SC push (especially TOR).  TOR can add another live D man and shift their miserable D lines around to make room for him in the ED.  and i think they're going to figure out they need someone like Manson in the next month.  that'll be the extent of their test time with their current lineup and without Simmonds (projected).  and, it'll give them time to figure out which forward they'll trade for someone like Manson.  they're going to want to trade Nylander, and we should absolutely say hell to the no.  we need a Marner.

the Shatt is going to be exposed - there's almost no doubt in my mind.  he may be traded to them along with some other meat in order for them to leave off grabbing something other than Larsson, for example.  the downside for us is that BM is going to force the Shatt to be played often enough to get him in shape for the trade, which means that HAK or Welinski or Hutton (some non-Larsson d man) are going to be sent down.  Of those three, I'm not sure who makes the most sense to send down, but i'm guessing Welinski.  I do wonder if some team will snap him up if we send him down.

42 minutes ago, Fisix said:

disagree.  Manson even in his current slump form is better than those, particularly for those teams in need of real D for a SC push (especially TOR).  TOR can add another live D man and shift their miserable D lines around to make room for him in the ED.  and i think they're going to figure out they need someone like Manson in the next month.  that'll be the extent of their test time with their current lineup and without Simmonds (projected).  and, it'll give them time to figure out which forward they'll trade for someone like Manson.  they're going to want to trade Nylander, and we should absolutely say hell to the no.  we need a Marner.

the Shatt is going to be exposed - there's almost no doubt in my mind.  he may be traded to them along with some other meat in order for them to leave off grabbing something other than Larsson, for example.  the downside for us is that BM is going to force the Shatt to be played often enough to get him in shape for the trade, which means that HAK or Welinski or Hutton (some non-Larsson d man) are going to be sent down.  Of those three, I'm not sure who makes the most sense to send down, but i'm guessing Welinski.  I do wonder if some team will snap him up if we send him down.

Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin. Which of those three does Toronto give up to Seattle for nothing so that they can take on one more year of Josh Manson’s contract? I just don’t see it. Especially with what else is out there as a rental. 

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I just don't feel like scoring is the maple leafs issues...

5 goals in 25 minutes against OTS is a good point for that....