Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Spike1981 said:

we have now 49 contracts...

I would think they are for sure moving at least one other contract, hopefully for picks. They could throw Larsson in that deal, but the money would be off. Maybe Mahura.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I would think they are for sure moving at least one other contract, hopefully for picks. They could throw Larsson in that deal, but the money would be off. Maybe Mahura.

You just lost half the fanbase. A lot of fans here would rather expose Fowler in the ED just so a protected spot can be saved for Mahura. :lol:

I'm also opposed to moving Gibby for anything short of a 1C prospect. This franchise will be watching the playoffs for many years unless/until they can find their next legit center soon.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

You just lost half the fanbase. A lot of fans here would rather expose Fowler in the ED just so a protected spot can be saved for Mahura. :lol:

I'm also opposed to moving Gibby for anything short of a 1C prospect. This franchise will be watching the playoffs for many years unless/until they can find their next legit center soon.

I'm 100% for that.  But who? The only guy I can think of right now, and I don't even know if it makes sense - and it would suck for Gibson - is Eichel.  And BUF would have to take back some more salary. Like Mahura and Larsson.........:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I'm 100% for that.  But who? The only guy I can think of right now, and I don't even know if it makes sense - and it would suck for Gibson - is Eichel.  And BUF would have to take back some more salary. Like Mahura and Larsson.........:ph34r:

Could we squeeze Dylan Cozens out of Buffalo? Or do you think he's untouchable? Maybe we do them a solid and take the final two years of Okposo's contract ($4M salary, $6M cap hit) + Cozens (+ whatever extras would need to be thrown in to make it even) in exchange for Gibson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

According to TSN...there is high Demand for Rickard Rakell. IMHO Ducks should be Playing it to their advantage...DEMAND the Most see which team makes their move and agree on the right price. It's time our Team...Anaheim Ducks MAKE DEMANDS of their OWN.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

It´s time our team sacks its GM. Rakell has to stay. It would be so BM to trade him for someone like Bennett and a 3rd rounder. I´m gonna lose it if Rakell gets moved.

Edited by DucksFan_08
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, what do you guys think of Max Domi? He is apparently not fitting in at all in Columbus and has been bouncing around their 3rd and 4th lines. Would he be a fit here? Maybe as a #2C? He did have a 72 point season in 2018-19.

I know Jarmo gave up a very good player to get him (well, just the signing rights to Anderson), but if he is sucking there, I wonder if we could get him for something significantly less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Could we squeeze Dylan Cozens out of Buffalo? Or do you think he's untouchable? Maybe we do them a solid and take the final two years of Okposo's contract ($4M salary, $6M cap hit) + Cozens (+ whatever extras would need to be thrown in to make it even) in exchange for Gibson?

That would be great. Gibson would probably not be all that stoked, but a fresh start is a fresh start!

I would do that deal yesterday.  Maybe for BUF we would have to take back a goalie, so Staal (UFA) and Ullmark or Hutton (both UFA's) plus Cozens for Gibson, and the money would be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't make sense to trade Gibson for Eichel even. What does that really do for us? We essentially trade spots with Buffalo. We become them and they kind of become us. But out of the two teams I'd rather be us then buffalo. Dostal isn't ready to become our starter. We'll overpay for someone in free agency or pick someone up from the bargain bin. We then suck so bad and hope Dostal actually ends up being what we hoped. Plus Gibson is on a really good contract and anyone we pick up will be worse at a worse price tag. We could draft someone I guess but why though? They might not pan out either. We run with Gibson until we have someone ready otherwise we become the next Buffalo. We need to draft forwards and defence, maybe another goalie to add to the system but not with our top draft picks. It took the Flyers how long to get a good goalie, they even overpaid Bryz and look how that turned out. Look at Florida, they're paying 10 mill for Bob. I would only trade him if we get a crazy haul back that we know for sure will help us become a contender and I don't even think Eichel is the answer. If we had someone else in the system ready to step up like when we had Anderson and Gibson otherwise I think I'd pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/03/calgary-flames-reject-anaheim-ducks.html

if your offer isn't good enough, you're fired!

Rakell for Bennett and a middle second? is that enough for Rakell? hope they wanted more then only that for Rakell... we have enough Bennett type 20-30 points players in our roster, even Rowney could do 20 points. but players like Rakell we not so many, maybe one in Comtois... or is Bennett known for defensive work?

Absolutely not enough for Rakell. Either two first round picks or a first rounder with a really good prospect and let the haggling start from there, imo.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Could we squeeze Dylan Cozens out of Buffalo? Or do you think he's untouchable? Maybe we do them a solid and take the final two years of Okposo's contract ($4M salary, $6M cap hit) + Cozens (+ whatever extras would need to be thrown in to make it even) in exchange for Gibson?

probably not, especially if Eichel eventually demands a trade. Cozens would be an even more important piece to Buffalo’s newest rebuild. If that happens, I’d think Buffalo would then probably just eat the remainder of Opokso’s contract rather than give up something to get out from under it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

It doesn't make sense to trade Gibson for Eichel even. What does that really do for us? We essentially trade spots with Buffalo. We become them and they kind of become us. But out of the two teams I'd rather be us then buffalo. Dostal isn't ready to become our starter. We'll overpay for someone in free agency or pick someone up from the bargain bin. We then suck so bad and hope Dostal actually ends up being what we hoped. Plus Gibson is on a really good contract and anyone we pick up will be worse at a worse price tag. We could draft someone I guess but why though? They might not pan out either. We run with Gibson until we have someone ready otherwise we become the next Buffalo. We need to draft forwards and defence, maybe another goalie to add to the system but not with our top draft picks. It took the Flyers how long to get a good goalie, they even overpaid Bryz and look how that turned out. Look at Florida, they're paying 10 mill for Bob. I would only trade him if we get a crazy haul back that we know for sure will help us become a contender and I don't even think Eichel is the answer. If we had someone else in the system ready to step up like when we had Anderson and Gibson otherwise I think I'd pass. 

Because this season and the one before that and the one before that they didn't suck so bad WITH Gibson?

Gibson is not making the team any better this season, and will not next season.  The only thing he might be doing is keeping them from being 31st, which right now is not a plus.  And keeping the GM and HC around. Again, not a plus.  Bob will NEVER trade him because that would signal "the end of an era", with Bob included in that era. So it's a moot point, really. Just fantastical speculation.

You have Miller and Stolarz for this season, and you get back a goalie in a deal for him - or at least I would.

They need to move forward and move on. I just don't see Gibson as a part of that.  He'll be 30 by the time they start to get good. Trade him while you can get something(s) good back for him.

 

Now, he might ASK to get moved, in which case Bob would pull the trigger.

Edited by tommer-1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

No thanks on Domi.  That 72 point season looks like an outlier.  I don't know that he's as bad as his numbers in Columbus show, but I'm fairly certain he's not as good as that 2019 season shows. I don't think he makes the team appreciably better.

72 points is an outlier, but he’s a pretty consistent 35+ assist guy. How badly does this team need another playmaker in the middle going into next season? [Answer: VERY badly]

I also can’t help but wonder if some of his issues this season are related to the pandemic, since he’s diabetic and is likely taking tons of precautions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Of all the seasons to trade your best player for a draft pick, it would be so Bob Murray to do it when the juniors seasons have been canceled/postponed and most scouts can't watch games in-person even where they are playing due to the pandemic. He's arrogant about his drafting like that though. Probably thinks he can pick good ones just by their astrological sign and the town in Sweden where they were born.

If the price is "too high" then I have hope he wouldn't do this (although I know you're joking...half joking ;) ) 

And for Gibson. If you ask me, it should be for nothing less than someone like Draisitl...I have no idea how it works money wise...since he's getting a lot. But Gibson is that good. We should be getting someone who is going to be in Hart contention for a bit....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so BM, to trade our best forward for Bennett (welcome to the bottom 6 forwards club!) + 2nd round pick which is most likely another role player. Damn you, BM, if you'll do it. This team offence is unwatchable, and you taking phone calls for Rakell? How about moving one of your "veterans" contracts, especially that guy on defense?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Because this season and the one before that and the one before that they didn't suck so bad WITH Gibson?

Gibson is not making the team any better this season, and will not next season.  The only thing he might be doing is keeping them from being 31st, which right now is not a plus.  And keeping the GM and HC around. Again, not a plus.  Bob will NEVER trade him because that would signal "the end of an era", with Bob included in that era. So it's a moot point, really. Just fantastical speculation.

You have Miller and Stolarz for this season, and you get back a goalie in a deal for him - or at least I would.

They need to move forward and move on. I just don't see Gibson as a part of that.  He'll be 30 by the time they start to get good. Trade him while you can get something(s) good back for him.

 

Now, he might ASK to get moved, in which case Bob would pull the trigger.

I get what you're saying but the problem is we kind of have to get a goalie back which would kind of lower the value somewhat. We need legit scorers but I personally wouldn't sacrifice our legit top 5 goalie for that unless we have someone very capable in the system that's ready. There seems to be only two options where I'd be willing to do that: he requests a trade or we get a deal that we just can't refuse.

I think people forget that Gibson also played earlier in his career where we were pretty competitive. Just because we've sucked for three years doesn't mean he automatically wants to leave. If it was that easy as soon as the top teams were no longer playoff bound we'd see all the stars requesting trades. But we just don't see that. So I have my doubts that he actually wants to leave and it's just that rumours. 

It's unfortunate but I don't think it's smart to move a goaltender of his caliber unless we hit the jackpot of trades. We're just not in that position to do it at this time. If Dostal was ready and looked like a legit starter I'd trade Gibson then. That's how I see it anyway. I think we'd be in free fall if he's gone honestly and would probably be the worst period of Ducks hockey. Plus there's no guarantee we would even be able to turn that around without rebuilding for even longer than we'd want to. It's a dangerous road to take, the risks are high but so are the potential rewards theoretically. I would personally take a different approach, build from the goaltender out at this point. So what if he's going to be in his 30s when we'll be competitive? There are lots of goalies playing at an elite level into their 30s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

trade Rakell makes sense if he wants too much money at next contract. and now he is on fire and the price is higher.

its not that easy to make the rebuild. you don't want to go under like Buffalo a couple seasons ago or Detroit last season with +/- 20 points behind the 30th place. then you learn a losing culture and this is never good (look at Buffalo, what a roster and what a result). its not a good way for the kids. Gibson should stay unless he wants to get out or its coming in a fantastic offer for him or Dostal develop to a good NHLer.

Silf, Henrique, Manson could go out, BEFORE Seattle ED. so you can keep all your kids. take some 27-30 years old UFA's in the next 2 seasons with the cap space you would have after traded away the big contracts (players like Landeskog, Hamilton 2021, Barzal, Gaudreau or Forsberg in 2022) to not lose every game and go with it. maybe a goaltender in the UFA (Rask, Rinne, Anderson and then you can trade Gibson too). I think with trade away some players and sign some UFA's you can make your team better and the rebuild would no go too long...,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laine is an rfa this offseason, any chance we could try to make a move for him? Who knows, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing in Columbus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

Laine is an rfa this offseason, any chance we could try to make a move for him? Who knows, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing in Columbus. 

I’d rather have a go at someone else who can put pucks in the net as well as play sound defensively. Laine is an enigma. We’ve had enough puzzle pieces that never did fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

trade Rakell makes sense if he wants too much money at next contract. and now he is on fire and the price is higher.

its not that easy to make the rebuild. you don't want to go under like Buffalo a couple seasons ago or Detroit last season with +/- 20 points behind the 30th place. then you learn a losing culture and this is never good (look at Buffalo, what a roster and what a result). its not a good way for the kids. Gibson should stay unless he wants to get out or its coming in a fantastic offer for him or Dostal develop to a good NHLer.

Silf, Henrique, Manson could go out, BEFORE Seattle ED. so you can keep all your kids. take some 27-30 years old UFA's in the next 2 seasons with the cap space you would have after traded away the big contracts (players like Landeskog, Hamilton 2021, Barzal, Gaudreau or Forsberg in 2022) to not lose every game and go with it. maybe a goaltender in the UFA (Rask, Rinne, Anderson and then you can trade Gibson too). I think with trade away some players and sign some UFA's you can make your team better and the rebuild would no go too long...,

Trading Raks is a no go . Unless we get a kings ransom. Toronto is the only team I feel could give us something.... even then, it’s a big question mark. Gibson isn’t getting traded either unless it’s a kings ransom. It would seem that we are pretty stuck in terms of assets. Screw the picks, get us something that will work in 2 seasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gorbachav5 said:

I also am wary of Laine, at least without a 1C to play him with.

Agreed. He needs a strong group around him to succeed, and sadly we don’t have that atm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

Trading Raks is a no go

it make sense if the price is too high or he not wants to resign in Anaheim or like you said the kings ransom... the issue is, that he will go for 99% to a contender and picks are late rounders and this year I heard its not a good draft year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrified to see an Athletic article saying that Murray wants to do “hockey trades” and isn’t interested in trading for futures. Apparently, he’d want a 24-27 year old player in return for the likes of Rakell in a potential trade. I may have underestimated the damage that he is capable of doing.
 

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

Laine is an rfa this offseason, any chance we could try to make a move for him? Who knows, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing in Columbus. 

Probably not because we still don’t have the quality pieces or enough of them to part with. Given that it took a Dubois to land him, my guess is that the starting point for the Ducks is Zegras + 2021 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Laine is an rfa this offseason, any chance we could try to make a move for him? Who knows, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing in Columbus. 

Did Laine move to center when I wasn't looking? If not, hard pass. LW is also not a weakness on this team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Terrified to see an Athletic article saying that Murray wants to do “hockey trades” and isn’t interested in trading for futures. Apparently, he’d want a 24-27 year old player in return for the likes of Rakell in a potential trade. I may have underestimated the damage that he is capable of doing.
 

Probably not because we still don’t have the quality pieces or enough of them to part with. Given that it took a Dubois to land him, my guess is that the starting point for the Ducks is Zegras + 2021 1st.

Maybe he learned something from the Bobby Ryan trade? Silfverberg + Noesen + 1st rounder (Ritchie) for Bobby, and the only piece of that trade that was worth a damn was the guy who already had 10G/9A in 50 NHL games under his belt. Granted, Silf was 22 not 24. But how good do you really feel about GMBM's ability to assess the talent of a forward prospect after the past 12 years of drafting and developing players? I'd prefer an established NHL forward too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe he learned something from the Bobby Ryan trade? Silfverberg + Noesen + 1st rounder (Ritchie) for Bobby, and the only piece of that trade that was worth a damn was the guy who already had 10G/9A in 50 NHL games under his belt. Granted, Silf was 22 not 24. But how good do you really feel about GMBM's ability to assess the talent of a forward prospect after the past 12 years of drafting and developing players? I'd prefer an established NHL forward too.

To me, I think this brings two different questions:

1) Confidence in Murray as the GM to assess/develop forward talent? Extremely low.

2) Is getting more future assets the best path forward to getting back into contention? I think yes, just that another GM should make those calls.

Murray being delusional about this team  and not capable of doing what is necessary just makes it more imperative that he gets launched into the volcano of unemployment. Unfortunately, that’s not happening before he gets to make more major decisions that will effect this team for years to come. 
 

Plus, the hockey trades that he loves and has made in recent memory don’t really give me much confidence that he’s very good at those either. Also, what established forward or hockey trade is going to result in the fast turnaround that he thinks he can pull off? I doubt it’s not going to someone that’s better than who he trades, especially if it’s Rakell.

With Ryan, I simply think that Murray was not going to pay him long-term when the twins were about to be due their big extensions. So, he shipped him out. Didn’t hate the trade really. I just always wondered that if Ryan was on the 2015 team, do we have a second banner 🤷🏻‍♂️?

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

To me, I think this brings two different questions:

1) Confidence in Murray as the GM to assess/develop forward talent? Extremely low.

2) Is getting more future assets the best path forward to getting back into contention? I think yes, just that another GM should make those calls.

Murray being delusional about this team  and not capable of doing what is necessary just makes it more imperative that he gets launched into the volcano of unemployment. Unfortunately, that’s not happening before he gets to make more major decisions that will effect this team for years to come. 
 

Plus, the hockey trades that he loves and has made in recent memory don’t really give me much confidence that he’s very good at those either. Also, what established forward or hockey trade is going to result in the fast turnaround that he think he can pull off? I doubt it’s not going to someone that’s better than who he trades, especially if it’s Rakell.

With Ryan, I simply think that Murray was not going to pay him long-term when the twins were about to be due their big extensions. So, he shipped him out. Didn’t hate the trade really. I just always wondered that if Ryan was on the 2015 team, do we have a second banner 🤷🏻‍♂️?

Interesting fact I just looked up using nhltradetracker.com and Capfriendly - of all the trades GMBM has made since 2011 where he sent one of our draft picks to another team in exchange for a player or other picks, only three of those picks he sent away have turned into a legitimate NHL player: Jared McCann (#14 overall traded for Kesler), Kevin Stenlund (#58 overall, part of the Karlsson/Wiz trade), and Ondrej Kase (7th rounder we traded to Toronto for Steckel and then got back as part of the Peter Holland trade). Pretty much every other draft pick turned into nothing. That includes the infamous 2011 draft where he sent the #22 overall (Tyler Biggs) to Toronto for the #30 (Rakell) and #39 (Gibson) and a 2012 6th rounder for a 6th rounder in 2011 (Manson). And that doesn't even include the one trade he should have made that could have brought us the Cup - Antoine Vermette for the #27 overall in 2015 (Jacob Larsson).

Moral to the story: apparently GMBM can trade away picks with impunity to upgrade the roster because the picks he trades don't amount to squat. My suggestion is to just lean into that. Make the top-5 pick we are getting this season and then start trading as many picks as you can to get good, quality NHL players for a quick rebuild. :P

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade proposal: Sam Steel for Casey Mittelstadt. It might just be shuffling deck chairs, but this team needs something to shake it up (other than waiving the team’s leading scorer from last season, of course). Both need a change of scenery too IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Genius will trade away Rakell and Hakanpaa and call it "RETOOL". Teams are not interested in anybody else due to their huge contracts or poor performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess the rumor is that we’re back in on Kapanen. If we swap Rakell for Kapanen I’m going to lose it. Murray should not be allowed to make moves at this point 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can turn Steel/Heinen or something into Kapanen then I’m ecstatic, but Rakell imo is much better than Kapanen. And swapping is the ultimate BM move that’s just going to lead us to be worse and worse. 
 

Rakell should go to Toronto for a 1st and Robertson or Amirov 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...