The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin. Which of those three does Toronto give up to Seattle for nothing so that they can take on one more year of Josh Manson’s contract? I just don’t see it. Especially with what else is out there as a rental. 

Definitely Brodie, maybe Reilly.  Muzzin if they wanted to shed cap hit, but unlikely.  I think Manson could do really well for TOR.

the one year contract thing is an issue, but if he works out, they could sign him for the same price, or shed him if they win the cup.

10 hours ago, Fisix said:

the Shatt is going to be exposed - there's almost no doubt in my mind.  he may be traded to them along with some other meat in order for them to leave off grabbing something other than Larsson, for example.  the downside for us is that BM is going to force the Shatt to be played often enough to get him in shape for the trade, which means that HAK or Welinski or Hutton (some non-Larsson d man) are going to be sent down.  Of those three, I'm not sure who makes the most sense to send down, but i'm guessing Welinski.  I do wonder if some team will snap him up if we send him down.

Definitely Welinski. And so far he’s only accumulated about 17 days on the active roster and he’s played only three games, so he doesn’t need waivers again to be sent down. In fact, he was sent to the Gulls yesterday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

5 goals in 25 minutes against OTS is a good point for that....

Well for Toronto they don't want to lose to Ottawa...Pride is on the line.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 2/16/2021 at 12:30 AM, Spike1981 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ducks-maple-leafs-trade-partners-rickard-rakell/

now after his maybe best career game... for Engvall (7th round pick) and Robertson... no thx.

I laughed when I read this article because this sounds like NHL21 trade that would get rejected. The Ducks don’t need anymore 3rd liners like Engvall and while I like Robertson, he alone isn’t enough to get Rakell. Change Engvall to a first round pick either this year or 2022 or they keep Robertson and give us their 2021 and 2022 first rounders.

14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin. Which of those three does Toronto give up to Seattle for nothing so that they can take on one more year of Josh Manson’s contract? I just don’t see it. Especially with what else is out there as a rental. 

I guess Toronto could go the 8 skater route and protect Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin Manson on defense and Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander up front. Let Seattle then choose from the remains of Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Holl or McDermott.

If Murray can’t get the price or doesn’t just want to trade Manson this year then I think Hakanpaa is going to get moved so that we don’t lose him for nothing.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I laughed when I read this article because this sounds like NHL21 trade that would get rejected. The Ducks don’t need anymore 3rd liners like Engvall and while I like Robertson, he alone isn’t enough to get Rakell. Change Engvall to a first round pick either this year or 2022 or they keep Robertson and give us their 2021 and 2022 first rounders.

I guess Toronto could go the 8 skater route and protect Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin Manson on defense and Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander up front. Let Seattle then choose from the remains of Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Holl or McDermott.

If Murray can’t get the price or doesn’t just want to trade Manson this year then I think Hakanpaa is going to get moved so that we don’t lose him for nothing.

GMBM is going to be getting a lot of calls for Hakanpaa at or near the deadline. I could see a 3rd round pick coming our way for him. Maybe even a 2nd if the team keeps improving around him. That said, I really hope the plan is to re-sign him after the expansion draft. Fowler-Manson is a train wreck of a pairing. Fowler-Hawk is really solid. We need to keep that pair together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

GMBM is going to be getting a lot of calls for Hakanpaa at or near the deadline. I could see a 3rd round pick coming our way for him. Maybe even a 2nd if the team keeps improving around him. That said, I really hope the plan is to re-sign him after the expansion draft. Fowler-Manson is a train wreck of a pairing. Fowler-Hawk is really solid. We need to keep that pair together.

I agree and you get no argument from Me.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 2/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe I don't understand something about hockey strategy, but why we would trade away a good player like Hakanpaa for a third pick (pretty much for nothing)?

How is it going to make out team better? If I was GM, I would rather trade somebody from an army of underachieving forwards for 7th round pick or for "future considerations" and use this money to resign Hakanpaa.

3 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Maybe I don't understand something about hockey strategy, but why we would trade away a good player like Hakanpaa for a third pick (pretty much for nothing)?

How is it going to make out team better? If I was GM, I would rather trade somebody from an army of underachieving forwards for 7th round pick or for "future considerations" and use this money to resign Hakanpaa.

He’s an unrestricted free agent at season’s end. Odds are GMBM has already started talking to his agent about a new contract. If it looks like he’s going to test the UFA market, then the Ducks should trade him before he walks away for nothing. Or, if they can agree on a deal in principle, either wait until after the expansion draft to re-sign him (so he doesn’t take a protected spot) or work out a deal like what they did with Grant last season where they trade him as a short term rental but with an expectation that he will re-sign in the offseason.

My preference would be to just wait and re-sign him, but if the offer is a 2nd round pick I could see GMBM going for it. Then we just hope he boomerangs like Grant did.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

He’s an unrestricted free agent at season’s end. Odds are GMBM has already started talking to his agent about a new contract. If it looks like he’s going to test the UFA market, then the Ducks should trade him before he walks away for nothing. Or, if they can agree on a deal in principle, either wait until after the expansion draft to re-sign him (so he doesn’t take a protected spot) or work out a deal like what they did with Grant last season where they trade him as a short term rental but with an expectation that he will re-sign in the offseason.

My preference would be to just wait and re-sign him, but if the offer is a 2nd round pick I could see GMBM going for it. Then we just hope he boomerangs like Grant did.

At this point, I'm kind of regretting the Grant boomerang.  He's looked bad this season.  Or maybe he was just lucky last season.  But I'd rather see Backes in the lineup.

As for Hakanpaa, his play has made me cool with trading Manson sooner rather than later, as long as he can be re-signed to a short-term extension.

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

At this point, I'm kind of regretting the Grant boomerang.  He's looked bad this season.  Or maybe he was just lucky last season.  But I'd rather see Backes in the lineup.

As for Hakanpaa, his play has made me cool with trading Manson sooner rather than later, as long as he can be re-signed to a short-term extension.

Grant has looked sluggish out there! He was a monster on the PK last year but hasn’t been the case this season! Backes should be the way to go 

• Like 1

Grant has double the points per game compared to Backes.  i guess i haven't seen Derek as particularly sluggish when he's on the FrenchyD line.  

Ducks need a shakeup both on the Ice and Off the ice with Trades and removal of GM.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ducks are rumored to be discussing a Heinen for Virtanen deal. I mean Virtanen was the 6th overall pick in 2014 but Heinen is the better NHLer lol.

I wouldn’t hate adding Virtanen, but not for Heinen. 

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I wouldn’t hate adding Virtanen, but not for Heinen. 

Just not sure what it accomplishes. Virtanen has another year at 2.5 mil on his contract also while Heinen is an RFA after this year. He’s a bottom-6 forward that I think we already have enough of.

35 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Just not sure what it accomplishes. Virtanen has another year at 2.5 mil on his contract also while Heinen is an RFA after this year. He’s a bottom-6 forward that I think we already have enough of.

I'm with you on that. It seems at best a lateral move.....but....a little worse. Heinen is older by a year but has already put up more points in less games....same. Really not sure what this would accomplish.

46 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If you’re adding Virtanen for a low level prospect or low pick. I’m fine with it. I’m not gonna turn down 15-20 goals from a 24-25 year old on the bottom six. If Murray promises me personally that. Virtanen takes minutes from Grant, DLo, Rowney and slots up with injuries I’ll be okay. 

Heinen is much better than Virtanen in every metric. 

The issue is that Murray has only won like 1 of these swaps of players in recent memories and that was for Milano. He taking a lot of L’s and I don’t know if I can stomach Jim effing Benning fleecing this team. 

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don’t know much about Virtanen, but didn’t he have 18G last season in 69 games? Sounds like he has some finishing ability. He’s also a right-shot RW and he’s a much thicker dude  than Heinen is. 

From Elliotte Friedman yesterday:

"The Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks have looked at a multi-piece deal involving Danton Heinen and Jake Virtanen to try and make the money work. Could see the Ducks trying to get the Canucks to take Derek Grant‘s contract."

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

From Elliotte Friedman yesterday:

"The Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks have looked at a multi-piece deal involving Danton Heinen and Jake Virtanen to try and make the money work. Could see the Ducks trying to get the Canucks to take Derek Grant‘s contract."

Another bottom 6-9 forward? We already have a collection of them. 

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson for Rantanen would be a steal. I would forgive BM all sins he made against this team.

The only reason you’re okay with that is the expectation that Dostal is coming, but he’s still incredibly young. 

Also goaltending is much more fragile and hard to come by. Rantanen is amazing and I wouldn’t scoff at at acquiring him (not that it would ever happen). 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, FanSince1993 said:

Another bottom 6-9 forward? We already have a collection of them. 

Grant, Heinen vs Virtanen, 2nd... why not... it would be a top 45 pick.

14 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson for Rantanen would be a steal. I would forgive BM all sins he made against this team.

thats what I said in an other thread. they have a lot of other elite forwards (McKinnon, Landeskog) and prospects like Newhook.. and their D would be great with Gibson...

23 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Trading Gibson would dealt a blow to the Goaltending Depth.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If something doesn't change rather quickly, I can see Gibson asking for a trade. We hang him out to dry WAY too often, and the "retool" is a total F'd up mess. My only hope is that Bargain Basement has something really great up his sleeve for the offseason. Something like say, .....a blockbuster hockey trade or spending on a 1st class free agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustaDucksFan said:

If something doesn't change rather quickly, I can see Gibson asking for a trade. We hang him out to dry WAY too often, and the "retool" is a total F'd up mess. My only hope is that Bargain Basement has something really great up his sleeve for the offseason. Something like say, .....a blockbuster hockey trade or spending on a 1st class free agent.

I agree. Murray can’t use cap space as an excuse after this season. There’s nowhere to hide. 

• Like 2

Murray: "I'm not going to sugarcoat anything," Murray said. "Our record is not good enough. I expected to be better and we're not. There's no sugarcoating it." Murray said the coach's job is not in jeopardy, but he would be looking to upgrade the roster before the 2021 NHL Trade Deadline on April 12.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-coach-dallas-eakins-job-status-update/c-322272424

upgrade the roster seems like he wants the compete-now-modus? after 2 wins we are going now for the cup or what?!

23 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Gibson has been average the last 3 years. Yesterday's game against the Kings is a clear example of it. He has trade value because some GM's still believe he is an "elite" goaltender. I afraid if he is not traded within a year, the next 4-5 seasons we'll stuck with him like Kings with Jonathan Quick. As far as goaltending depth, if you look at the history, every summer some very good goaltenders available either thru free agency or thru trades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1