The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

4 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I understood what you said. I'm merely referring to the fact that earlier in the year everyone was saying to trade out our surplus of def for off. Now I don't consider pettersson for sprong as a huge upgrade at forwards. Vats for Rico was last year. You could actually make an argument that we didn't trade our def for much off. Montour was for another def. So the truth of the matter is in fact the forwards that are coming up are from the minors and not from trades as we expected. In a way, if we kept our def and just waited for the jr ducks we might actually of been better off. Now whether you could have theoretically kept everyone is a whole other matter. But it remains, none the less, that we are no longer as deep at def after trading for some scoring help. No high profile players were acquired, it's debatable whether that's good or bad at this point in having traded off some of the def, as Rico for example is actually a good player. So in a way we're back to square one, just this time we're going to be looking for def as you said. Unless of course Guhle really impresses and the rest of the def really gets it together next year. 

Hopefully, our answer to all our imperfections is actually a coach who has a good system. Without that we will lose many more seasons to come. 

Got it.

Yeah, it might have been better to hold off and be patient instead of trading away Pettersson...Sprong right now seems like he just creates more of a logjam...but that's hard to predict back when we did the trade. I agree the Vats/Rico trade was a better one. And the Monty for Guhle/1st rd pick is just hard to judge right now.

I do think, as someone else pointed somewhere else, that Monty might have been on his way out anyway and Bob might have seen that there was no way he'd be re-signing after the bridge contract was up.

Bob WAS saying from the start he wanted a defenseman more than a forward which always sounded odd to me lol but now that I see what we are icing on D next season (if we don't sign anyone)...I see why. We have a logjam on right wing, our center depth is kinda logjammed -- but not necessarily stacked lol, and our left wing is weak...so we still kinda do need a forward for the left...and some D...and if the prospects step up, freeing up that right side to get some D help and/or left wing help could be solid!

I read from several sources that LA Kings will pursue Artemi Panarin in the off-season. He is only 27 years old, averages 70+ points per season, and with Ducks struggling to score, seems like he could be a good fit. Why LA is interested and Ducks are not? Come on, Bob, enough of signing NHL borderline players, do something for real to improve this team.

Edited by FanSince1993

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I read from several sources that LA Kings will pursue Artemi Panarin in the off-season. He is only 27 years old, averages 70+ points per season, and with Ducks struggling to score, seems like he could be a good fit. Why LA is interested and Ducks are not? Come on, Bob, enough of signing NHL borderline players, do something for real to improve this team.

How can the Kings afford Panarin, given the contracts they're already carrying?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

How can the Kings afford Panarin, given the contracts they're already carrying?

Good question. Unlike our aging veterans, Kings older players have some trade value. Carter/Quick/Brown can be traded any time for younger players/draft picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Good question. Unlike our aging veterans, Kings older players have some trade value. Carter/Quick/Brown can be traded any time for younger players/draft picks.

Not sure who wants Brown. Unless of course you're the preds, they're always looking for someone to join the goon/diving squad. Brown checks all the needed requirements and then some!

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, g20topdogg said:

Not sure who wants Brown. Unless of course you're the preds, they're always looking for someone to join the goon/diving squad. Brown checks all the needed requirements and then some!

Yeah. Bottom line is that he’s movable unlike Kesler or Perry. 51 points in 72 games isn’t bad for under $6mil per. LA can free up cap room rather easily if they want.

Rangers are over the cap and still need to re-sign RFAs Buchnevich and DeAngelo. Rumors are starting to pop up that Shattenkirk is on the block, since Trouba now basically makes Shatty superfluous. Shattenkirk has a $6.5M cap hit for two more years and is coming off a tough season for a team that was in full tank mode, but hear me out here....

The Ducks clear cut #1 need is a RHD who can run the power play. Shattenkirk can absolutely do that. And while his cap hit is $6.5M x 2, his total remaining salary is actually $10.6M. So a reasonable trade could be Shattenkirk for Eaves + conditional 3rd + 5th, with the 3rd becoming a 2nd if Shatty hits certain performance markers (like 10G or 40pts), and the Rags retaining $3M ($1.5M/season). 

For the Ducks, that gives us a legit PP QB for the next two years for only $2.3M/season in salary added to the payroll (with the Eaves $3M offset this coming season). And with the retained salary, we’re looking at $5M in cap hit, which we can certainly afford given that we’re going with a youth movement. Shatty’s contract also expires after the 2020-2021 season, so his NMC will not require ED protection. We could also do Fowler-Shatty as a 2nd pair, which would be similar to the Fowler-Vatanen pair that had Fowler playing the best hockey of his career (even got him to the all-star game!)

For the Rags, they would move out $5M in cap hit and can just bury Eaves on LTIR, giving them plenty of cap space to sign their RFAs. They also get more picks for their rebuild. They’d also get to send Shatty out of conference. It’s a win-win.

I don’t think GMBM would ever pull something like this off, but I really wish he would. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rangers are over the cap and still need to re-sign RFAs Buchnevich and DeAngelo. Rumors are starting to pop up that Shattenkirk is on the block, since Trouba now basically makes Shatty superfluous. Shattenkirk has a $6.5M cap hit for two more years and is coming off a tough season for a team that was in full tank mode, but hear me out here....

The Ducks clear cut #1 need is a RHD who can run the power play. Shattenkirk can absolutely do that. And while his cap hit is $6.5M x 2, his total remaining salary is actually $10.6M. So a reasonable trade could be Shattenkirk for Eaves + conditional 3rd + 5th, with the 3rd becoming a 2nd if Shatty hits certain performance markers (like 10G or 40pts), and the Rags retaining $3M ($1.5M/season). 

For the Ducks, that gives us a legit PP QB for the next two years for only $2.3M/season in salary added to the payroll (with the Eaves $3M offset this coming season). And with the retained salary, we’re looking at $5M in cap hit, which we can certainly afford given that we’re going with a youth movement. Shatty’s contract also expires after the 2020-2021 season, so his NMC will not require ED protection. We could also do Fowler-Shatty as a 2nd pair, which would be similar to the Fowler-Vatanen pair that had Fowler playing the best hockey of his career (even got him to the all-star game!)

For the Rags, they would move out $5M in cap hit and can just bury Eaves on LTIR, giving them plenty of cap space to sign their RFAs. They also get more picks for their rebuild. They’d also get to send Shatty out of conference. It’s a win-win.

I don’t think GMBM would ever pull something like this off, but I really wish he would. 

It's not a bad idea at all, but I agree that Murray probably doesn't even have this on his radar. First thing would be to find out if the Ducks are on his no-trade list. I'd feel much better about moving draft picks in a deal if the Ducks had extra picks to move or if the player was better. I guess you could move Ritchie/Sprong at some point to help recoup lost picks though. Shattenkirk certainly has the ability to QB the power play which is something that Murray has said that he wants. His underlying stats aren't awful but definitely not worth his cap hit, so getting him with salary retained by the Rangers could provide value. I'd see him has being paired with Fowler since I don't think he's a top pairing guy but having two defensemen who are offense-first (Shattenkirk being more so) concerns me a little bit. I just don't know if that pairing could actually defend together and Shattenkirk last thrived when he was playing with a very good unit of Pietrangelo, Parayko and Boumeester in St. Louis. I think that all three of those guys are better defensively than the Ducks top-4. With the Rangers having Trouba, DeAngelo, and now Fox on the right side, it seems that they would want to move Shattenkirk out regardless of their cap situation. Their rebuild timeline really sped up this offseason by adding Panarin, Trouba and Kakko. They have a legit chance of competing for a wild card spot next season.

I'm going to have to start completely making up trade rumors, actual ones are non-existant this offseason.

So...  I hear (not really) that the Flames, after that horrible trade with the Oilers, are looking to make some more horrible trades this offseason.  The Flames want to trade their 2020 first round draft pick for Nick Ritchie (not really though).

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's not a bad idea at all, but I agree that Murray probably doesn't even have this on his radar. First thing would be to find out if the Ducks are on his no-trade list. I'd feel much better about moving draft picks in a deal if the Ducks had extra picks to move or if the player was better. I guess you could move Ritchie/Sprong at some point to help recoup lost picks though. Shattenkirk certainly has the ability to QB the power play which is something that Murray has said that he wants. His underlying stats aren't awful but definitely not worth his cap hit, so getting him with salary retained by the Rangers could provide value. I'd see him has being paired with Fowler since I don't think he's a top pairing guy but having two defensemen who are offense-first (Shattenkirk being more so) concerns me a little bit. I just don't know if that pairing could actually defend together and Shattenkirk last thrived when he was playing with a very good unit of Pietrangelo, Parayko and Boumeester in St. Louis. I think that all three of those guys are better defensively than the Ducks top-4. With the Rangers having Trouba, DeAngelo, and now Fox on the right side, it seems that they would want to move Shattenkirk out regardless of their cap situation. Their rebuild timeline really sped up this offseason by adding Panarin, Trouba and Kakko. They have a legit chance of competing for a wild card spot next season.

You could also likely flip him at the deadline if the Ducks aren’t in the hunt for a playoff spot to recoup some picks.

• Like 1

Looking at the Free agent list...Not alot to choose from right in regards to who Ducks should sign....Days,Weeks and Months go by we have feeling as I do this team is going Full youth Movement.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Looking at the Free agent list...Not alot to choose from right in regards to who Ducks should sign....Days,Weeks and Months go by we have feeling as I do this team is going Full youth Movement.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The organization is almost at the 50 contract limit, so its unlikely we'll see any more free agent signings by the Ducks. Probably just a few AHL-only contracts to fill out the Gulls defense. If there are any player additions to the Ducks roster between now and opening day, it will be via trade.

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The organization is almost at the 50 contract limit, so its unlikely we'll see any more free agent signings by the Ducks. Probably just a few AHL-only contracts to fill out the Gulls defense. If there are any player additions to the Ducks roster between now and opening day, it will be via trade.

That is what I feel that will happen...If Ducks choose "Develop within" Path then expect to have our patience tested alot.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, Fisix said:

it's also what i get when thinking about what Seattle will be receiving in that draft.

Just curious what their name will be.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, dtsdlaw said:

You could also likely flip him at the deadline if the Ducks aren’t in the hunt for a playoff spot to recoup some picks.

Shattenkirk could be on the verge of being bought out. This could end up right in Murray’s free agent wheelhouse lol

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:17 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Shattenkirk could be on the verge of being bought out. This could end up right in Murray’s free agent wheelhouse lol

So much this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

So much this.

is ShattenKirk worth for the Ducks to Sign?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, MooseDuck said:

is ShattenKirk worth for the Ducks to Sign?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Assuming he’d be willing to sign on the west coast, I think that Murray should kick the tires on him if he’s not going to trade for a RHD. The Ducks need to improve that position so badly and Shattenkirk would be an upgrade at a huge discount  to what he was getting paid by New York.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2019 at 3:22 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Assuming he’d be willing to sign on the west coast, I think that Murray should kick the tires on him if he’s not going to trade for a RHD. The Ducks need to improve that position so badly and Shattenkirk would be an upgrade at a huge discount  to what he was getting paid by New York.

Shattenkirk bought out so BM should be able to sign him to a cheap 1 year show me contract.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Shattenkirk bought out so BM should be able to sign him to a cheap 1 year show me contract.

I would imagine he’s seeing the buyout as an opportunity to go with a contender. As we are not contenders he is certainly not going to sign with us for cheap unless we are offering him the most of any other team wanting him. I doubt we get him unless Bob pays him more than 3-4 mill + 

3 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I would imagine he’s seeing the buyout as an opportunity to go with a contender. As we are not contenders he is certainly not going to sign with us for cheap unless we are offering him the most of any other team wanting him. I doubt we get him unless Bob pays him more than 3-4 mill + 

Yeah, I guess it depends on what he wants. Most contending teams don't have the cap space to give him $3-4 mil, so he'd have to take a very cheap contract to go on a team like that. If he wants to go that route then I think that Nashville makes the most sense (adding another RHD after losing Subban). The Ducks are in a position to offer him more money but I don't get the sense that he'd even want to come to Anaheim. My guess is that he'd want stay closer to home on the east coast, especially since he and his wife just had their first kid.

Ducks are not attractive destination anymore for free agents. The roster must be competitive and the ownership must be committed to winning in order to attract UFA.

13 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I guess it depends on what he wants. Most contending teams don't have the cap space to give him $3-4 mil, so he'd have to take a very cheap contract to go on a team like that. If he wants to go that route then I think that Nashville makes the most sense (adding another RHD after losing Subban). The Ducks are in a position to offer him more money but I don't get the sense that he'd even want to come to Anaheim. My guess is that he'd want stay closer to home on the east coast, especially since he and his wife just had their first kid.

A contending team would be able to get away with a cheap contract for him after being bought out. (See Perry). ANA in the other hand will not be nearly as cheap unless there isn’t a huge market for him. 

44 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

A contending team would be able to get away with a cheap contract for him after being bought out. (See Perry). ANA in the other hand will not be nearly as cheap unless there isn’t a huge market for him. 

I agree. It would have to be a very cheap contract from a contending team. Most of those teams are going to be close to the cap ceiling along with having their rosters mostly set. If he’d been bought out before July 1st, then I think that he’d have a much bigger market. In theory, that should actually help the Ducks chances at signing him. Anaheim can offer him more $ and a greater role but I don’t think he’s going to come to a rebuilding team that’s on the opposite side of the country from his home.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree. It would have to be a very cheap contract from a contending team. Most of those teams are going to be close to the cap ceiling along with having their rosters mostly set. If he’d been bought out before July 1st, then I think that he’d have a much bigger market. In theory, that should actually help the Ducks chances at signing him. Anaheim can offer him more $ and a greater role but I don’t think he’s going to come to a rebuilding team that’s on the opposite side of the country from his home.

If I'm a "contending" team, I'm not looking to sign him now, I'm looking to see where he lands so that I can try to acquire him at the deadline (if he proves he's worth it).

49 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think Shattenkirk makes a ton of sense for the Ducks.  I don't think he's that bad, and with the Ducks' depleted depth on the right side of their defense, I wouldn't mind giving him two or three years at something around $3 million per year.  That said, I agree, if an Eastern Conference team that looks like it has a chance to sniff the postseason makes something close to a reasonable offer, Shattenkirk most likely takes that before coming out here.

Me too, which is why I had that crazy trade proposal for him earlier (which everyone knows Bob would never have the guts to do). But I also think people are too quick to dismiss the chances of him coming out West. He's 30, he just had his first child about a month ago, and he's been getting absolutely CRUSHED by New York media for the past two seasons. Given his stage of life and hockey career, why wouldn't he want to move someplace like Southern California to try to revive his NHL career? It's a great place to raise a family, there's no media circus, and he'd get top-4 minutes on a team that already has a world-class netminder and three other very good D-men. Given what Shatty has experienced the past few seasons on the east coast, I would think that he couldn't pack his bags fast enough if GMBM called up his agent and expressed some interest.

7 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Ducks are not attractive destination anymore for free agents. The roster must be competitive and the ownership must be committed to winning in order to attract UFA.

They are doing that with the Youth in their Ranks....It's going to be interesting season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck