The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Wait, so now we have forwards but no defensemen is what you said? Lol can't do anything right! We had to many def, so we said trade for forwards. Now we have too many forwards and not enough def... 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Wait, so now we have forwards but no defensemen is what you said? Lol can't do anything right! We had to many def, so we said trade for forwards. Now we have too many forwards and not enough def... 🤷‍♂️

??? Not sure you read my post...or you didn't understand it...

...when you trade away 3 defenseman that are all playing in your top 6...well...that's half of your NHL D...now our bottom 6 is rounded out by Mahura...doesn't leave much after. That's not very deep. Do you disagree? Do you think our D depth looks awesome next season? I wasn't too worried about our D at the start of this season. We can always sign some of our UFAs there....but....in my post I was talking if we don't...but again...you may not have read it/understood it.

You know...actions have consequences right? Like...let's say someone has 10 apples and 2 oranges..."woah! that's a lot of apples! need some oranges" and they decide to trade away 8 apples to get 8 oranges...now they have 2 apples and 10 oranges! ...like...it's not weird to now say "woah! now you have too many oranges!" even though the problem before was not having enough oranges...this isn't exactly what is going on with us, but I was just using this as an example to show how actions have consequences and as time moves on needs can change and it's not out of the ordinary to have a different opinion than what you had earlier 'cause something changed.

Another more practical example...I really like how Jones has been looking. I wonder with his emergence if we still need that top 6 LW? Terry is looking very good, too. Kase coming back is awesome. Lundestrom is very promising. Comtois looks like he might be ready. And we have that high pick to get another top forward possibly...and the later one to get some D depth...earlier in the season the jury was still out on playing some of these players/how they would do. So...again...as time moves on so can our needs.

I understood what you said. I'm merely referring to the fact that earlier in the year everyone was saying to trade out our surplus of def for off. Now I don't consider pettersson for sprong as a huge upgrade at forwards. Vats for Rico was last year. You could actually make an argument that we didn't trade our def for much off. Montour was for another def. So the truth of the matter is in fact the forwards that are coming up are from the minors and not from trades as we expected. In a way, if we kept our def and just waited for the jr ducks we might actually of been better off. Now whether you could have theoretically kept everyone is a whole other matter. But it remains, none the less, that we are no longer as deep at def after trading for some scoring help. No high profile players were acquired, it's debatable whether that's good or bad at this point in having traded off some of the def, as Rico for example is actually a good player. So in a way we're back to square one, just this time we're going to be looking for def as you said. Unless of course Guhle really impresses and the rest of the def really gets it together next year. 

Hopefully, our answer to all our imperfections is actually a coach who has a good system. Without that we will lose many more seasons to come. 

Edited by g20topdogg
Grammar

4 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I understood what you said. I'm merely referring to the fact that earlier in the year everyone was saying to trade out our surplus of def for off. Now I don't consider pettersson for sprong as a huge upgrade at forwards. Vats for Rico was last year. You could actually make an argument that we didn't trade our def for much off. Montour was for another def. So the truth of the matter is in fact the forwards that are coming up are from the minors and not from trades as we expected. In a way, if we kept our def and just waited for the jr ducks we might actually of been better off. Now whether you could have theoretically kept everyone is a whole other matter. But it remains, none the less, that we are no longer as deep at def after trading for some scoring help. No high profile players were acquired, it's debatable whether that's good or bad at this point in having traded off some of the def, as Rico for example is actually a good player. So in a way we're back to square one, just this time we're going to be looking for def as you said. Unless of course Guhle really impresses and the rest of the def really gets it together next year. 

Hopefully, our answer to all our imperfections is actually a coach who has a good system. Without that we will lose many more seasons to come. 

Got it.

Yeah, it might have been better to hold off and be patient instead of trading away Pettersson...Sprong right now seems like he just creates more of a logjam...but that's hard to predict back when we did the trade. I agree the Vats/Rico trade was a better one. And the Monty for Guhle/1st rd pick is just hard to judge right now.

I do think, as someone else pointed somewhere else, that Monty might have been on his way out anyway and Bob might have seen that there was no way he'd be re-signing after the bridge contract was up.

Bob WAS saying from the start he wanted a defenseman more than a forward which always sounded odd to me lol but now that I see what we are icing on D next season (if we don't sign anyone)...I see why. We have a logjam on right wing, our center depth is kinda logjammed -- but not necessarily stacked lol, and our left wing is weak...so we still kinda do need a forward for the left...and some D...and if the prospects step up, freeing up that right side to get some D help and/or left wing help could be solid!