The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

47 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

You said it above - he just had his first kid a month ago.  He'd either have to uproot his family or spend half the season across the country from them.  And he's from New York, so he most likely has relatives there who want to be around him and his family.  I have no idea who his wife is, but it's not far-fetched to assume she might be from the area as well.  I think the Ducks have as a good a shot as any other Pacific Division team, and probably a lot of the Central teams as well.  But I have to think it would be easier on the family to either stay in the area or at least be on the East Coast.  

We can hand-wave the distance thing away all we want, but he clearly wanted to be in New York. People like being around family. I have to think that teams out east have an advantage when it comes to signing him.  He might not consider West Coast teams at all unless he's got no other offers.

Well if Ducks Don't get Shattenkirk there is Faulk.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If I'm a "contending" team, I'm not looking to sign him now, I'm looking to see where he lands so that I can try to acquire him at the deadline (if he proves he's worth it).

Me too, which is why I had that crazy trade proposal for him earlier (which everyone knows Bob would never have the guts to do). But I also think people are too quick to dismiss the chances of him coming out West. He's 30, he just had his first child about a month ago, and he's been getting absolutely CRUSHED by New York media for the past two seasons. Given his stage of life and hockey career, why wouldn't he want to move someplace like Southern California to try to revive his NHL career? It's a great place to raise a family, there's no media circus, and he'd get top-4 minutes on a team that already has a world-class netminder and three other very good D-men. Given what Shatty has experienced the past few seasons on the east coast, I would think that he couldn't pack his bags fast enough if GMBM called up his agent and expressed some interest.

New York might be the sole location with taxes, weather, and craziness, that could make California's taxes livable.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

You said it above - he just had his first kid a month ago.  He'd either have to uproot his family or spend half the season across the country from them.  And he's from New York, so he most likely has relatives there who want to be around him and his family.  I have no idea who his wife is, but it's not far-fetched to assume she might be from the area as well.  I think the Ducks have as a good a shot as any other Pacific Division team, and probably a lot of the Central teams as well.  But I have to think it would be easier on the family to either stay in the area or at least be on the East Coast.  

We can hand-wave the distance thing away all we want, but he clearly wanted to be in New York. People like being around family. I have to think that teams out east have an advantage when it comes to signing him.  He might not consider West Coast teams at all unless he's got no other offers.

Having an infant is much different than having school age children.Infants are easy to move. I also agree with DTS that a change of scenery after being eaten up by the New York media would be a nice a change. Anaheim is in rebuild but I still think they can be contenders this year. SC probably not but they will compete. As far as family, he's spent 11 years in the NHL with the last 2 being in New York. Most people want to be around family but when you're a professional athlete, member of the military, etc. being around family isn't always doable. I think if BM offers him decent money and term, he would take the chance knowing it could revitalize his career. I would give him $3 X 2 or $2 X 3. I disagree with splitting Lindholm/Manson so it would be nice to have someone who could possibly pair with Cam. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Having an infant is much different than having school age children.Infants are easy to move. I also agree with DTS that a change of scenery after being eaten up by the New York media would be a nice a change. Anaheim is in rebuild but I still think they can be contenders this year. SC probably not but they will compete. As far as family, he's spent 11 years in the NHL with the last 2 being in New York. Most people want to be around family but when you're a professional athlete, member of the military, etc. being around family isn't always doable. I think if BM offers him decent money and term, he would take the chance knowing it could revitalize his career. I would give him $3 X 2 or $2 X 3. I disagree with splitting Lindholm/Manson so it would be nice to have someone who could possibly pair with Cam. 

The Ducks are rebuilding and aren't going to come close to contending this year. Plus, I agree with Gorbachav that being a west coast team and away from his family/hometown also doesn't help the Ducks land him. A one-year, super cheap contract with Nashville seems like the best option for him not only to contend for a cup but also increase his value for a bigger pay day in free agency next year. I think that the Ducks best shot is to offer him noticeably more money and term, though he passed on both of those things to sign with the Rangers two years ago, when he was a UFA and able to pick where he wanted to play. It sucks because I think that the Ducks are one of the best fits for Shattenkirk, can offer him better money with most other teams not having the roster/cap space to aggressively go after him, but that he ultimately isn't going to sign here lol.

Whatever Happens Ducks may start with Youth Movement with alot of young Kids....Let's be honest it will be a Gamble.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I've had three.  I know how it goes.  Shattenkirk signed with New York very specifically because he wanted to be in New York.  He's going to have to make the choice to either be away from his wife and baby for most of the year, or move them to the opposite coast from their home and family (grandparents, siblings, etc.).  That's not an easy choice.  I'm sure he'll do what needs to be done for the sake of his career, but if he's got options, a team farther east is almost certainly going to get priority.  

Shattenkirk will not sign with the Ducks....Family Comes first I understand it well when it comes to local Players.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Agreed with most that's already been said. He'll probably prefer staying on the east coast and if he does consider coming out West it'll take a bit of an overpayment. I'm not against taking a chance at overpaying him for one year. If it doesn't work out, he walks at the deadline or next year. If it does work out, it probably wasn't an overpayment and maybe he wants to stay. But please BM no 3 year contract with a NMC.

Believing all the rumors Ristolainen is available. But I don't think we want to part with the pieces buffalo would want.
Shattenkirk is available but as stated above it's a longshot.
Over on HF boards I read Chase Priskie, some caps prospect, won't sign and will become a UFA august 15. He's RHD who probably wants an opportunity. We can offer him that :lol:. I'm not a fan of schultzlike behavior but if it can get us a promising RHD why not?

IMO BM should push for one of the abovementioned 3.

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

No kidding.  Also, as critical as I've been of BM over the last year or so, it's going to be stupid when he gets called out for not beating that.  This is a perfect deal for Shattenkirk.  He's not hurting for money since he gets paid his buy out.  He gets to stay on the East Coast.  He gets to play for a team that will likely compete for a Cup.  He gets to play in a system that will allow him to rehabilitate his reputation and garner a better long-term contract after this year.  Maybe he could have gotten a little higher pay day, but he's essentially betting on himself with this deal in a place that's most likely to make that bet pay off.  And in the worst case, he got paid enough in his Rangers contract that he could retire after this season and not hurt for money for the rest of his life.

Yep, I thought Tampa would be too hard against the cap after having to still sign Point and Erne but this makes all the sense in the world for Shattenkirk like you said. Going to the Cup front runner is a pretty sweet deal lol. I still want Murray fired for a host of other reasons but can’t fault him on this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Agreed with most that's already been said. He'll probably prefer staying on the east coast and if he does consider coming out West it'll take a bit of an overpayment. I'm not against taking a chance at overpaying him for one year. If it doesn't work out, he walks at the deadline or next year. If it does work out, it probably wasn't an overpayment and maybe he wants to stay. But please BM no 3 year contract with a NMC.

Believing all the rumors Ristolainen is available. But I don't think we want to part with the pieces buffalo would want.
Shattenkirk is available but as stated above it's a longshot.
Over on HF boards I read Chase Priskie, some caps prospect, won't sign and will become a UFA august 15. He's RHD who probably wants an opportunity. We can offer him that :lol:. I'm not a fan of schultzlike behavior but if it can get us a promising RHD why not?

IMO BM should push for one of the abovementioned 3.

He should roll the dice...a Bob's Ducks GM Predecessor did that...and it paid off well IF I remeber correctly.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

@icemancometh We won't know how Kevin Shattenkirk would have fared with the #NHLDucks. But why did they (among others) make a serious play for the veteran defenseman, who chose the #tblightning?

20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

No kidding.  Also, as critical as I've been of BM over the last year or so, it's going to be stupid when he gets called out for not beating that.  This is a perfect deal for Shattenkirk.  He's not hurting for money since he gets paid his buy out.  He gets to stay on the East Coast.  He gets to play for a team that will likely compete for a Cup.  He gets to play in a system that will allow him to rehabilitate his reputation and garner a better long-term contract after this year.  Maybe he could have gotten a little higher pay day, but he's essentially betting on himself with this deal in a place that's most likely to make that bet pay off.  And in the worst case, he got paid enough in his Rangers contract that he could retire after this season and not hurt for money for the rest of his life.

According to Eric Stephens in the Athletic, GMBM did beat it. He apparently offered 2 years at somewhere between $2M-$2.5M. Shatty declined and instead signed with a real contender, closer to home, and in a state with no income tax. 

Oh well. I’m slightly encouraged by this though, as it appears GMBM is still working to upgrade the #4 D spot. Hopefully he can pull something off to fix that gaping hole before the season starts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

According to Eric Stephens in the Athletic, GMBM did beat it. He apparently offered 2 years at somewhere between $2M-$2.5M. Shatty declined and instead signed with a real contender, closer to home, and in a state with no income tax. 

Oh well. I’m slightly encouraged by this though, as it appears GMBM is still working to upgrade the #4 D spot. Hopefully he can pull something off to fix that gaping hole before the season starts.

He’ll pull something off by drafting someone like Justin Barron in the top 10 next year lol. 

On 8/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

Good on BM for trying. If they don't want to come you can't make them.

Indeed that is true. It comes down to the Players choice no more no less.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

<pokes forum with a stick>

You ok? 

<pokes again>

Forum: Eh? Is it September yet?

Yeah, It's the most boring time of the hockey season. I guess the Ducks tried to sign RHD Chase Priskie (this year's prized college FA) but he signed with Carolina. We can speculate more about a RHD trade with them as a result if we want lol. Nothing really left but to wait and see when the big name RFA's start signing. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 1:11 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, It's the most boring time of the hockey season. I guess the Ducks tried to sign RHD Chase Priskie (this year's prized college FA) but he signed with Carolina. We can speculate more about a RHD trade with them as a result if we want lol. Nothing really left but to wait and see when the big name RFA's start signing. 

Guess Ducks are going back to "Develope within" strategy...They are hoping the Prospects will step up this year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

If Marner truly is on the market, everyone should be asking about him. Including the Ducks. New franchise player.

Edited by ike-1
  • Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, ike-1 said:

If Marner truly is on the market, everyone should be asking about him. Including the Ducks. New franchise player.

Ducks should it would not hurt.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, Spike1981 said:

how real are the Laine to Ducks rumors?

Apparently they surfaced on a twitter account that's already been deleted. Don't think anybody knew the guy who started it either. So not very real.

Trade idea: The Sabres are currently $1.06M over the cap, so let's send them Patrick Eaves ($3.15M cap hit) in exchange for Zach Bogosian ($5.14M cap hit). Bogo is likely out until October due to hip surgery, but once he returns he could could step in as Fowler's SAH partner, which could free up Fowler to rush the puck more and take more chances in the O-zone. He's UFA after this season so there's no long-term ED implications, and IMO he could provide some solid "protection" for our young kids in their first official season while they figure out the NHL game. If Bogo plays decent and the Ducks end up as sellers at the deadline, he could also bring back a draft pick or two, which would make his net $3M salary increase more worth it. Anyone else in on this? :D

Edited by dtsdlaw

So there are rumors circulating that Dustin Byfuglien has taken his personal leave of absence from the Jets due to a falling out he had with his teammates, Blake Wheeler (captain) in particular. Makes you wonder if there is a trade demand there and Byfuglien is just waiting it out until he is traded. If so, why not Anaheim?? He's 34 and is due $14M over this season and next, so that's a bit expensive for an older guy. But if there was ever an old and expensive guy I'd want to take a chance on, it's Byfuglien. He would immediately improve our PP by 150% and he would be pretty much the ideal RHD to slide into the #4 spot next to Fowler. If there's really a trade demand there, and with him not reporting to camp at all, you'd have to think the price tag would not be that expensive either. He's also got three kids under 10 and SoCal could conceivably be high on his list of places he'd like to raise his kids. Lastly, his contract expires before the expansion draft, so he would not need ED protection.

Any other takers besides me?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

So there are rumors circulating that Dustin Byfuglien has taken his personal leave of absence from the Jets due to a falling out he had with his teammates, Blake Wheeler (captain) in particular. Makes you wonder if there is a trade demand there and Byfuglien is just waiting it out until he is traded. If so, why not Anaheim?? He's 34 and is due $14M over this season and next, so that's a bit expensive for an older guy. But if there was ever an old and expensive guy I'd want to take a chance on, it's Byfuglien. He would immediately improve our PP by 150% and he would be pretty much the ideal RHD to slide into the #4 spot next to Fowler. If there's really a trade demand there, and with him not reporting to camp at all, you'd have to think the price tag would not be that expensive either. He's also got three kids under 10 and SoCal could conceivably be high on his list of places he'd like to raise his kids. Lastly, his contract expires before the expansion draft, so he would not need ED protection.

You'd make a great GM...

Count me in for Byfuglien.  But in pro sports, that stuff probably happens more than we would ever know and they just have to suck it up and play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If this is the reason then count me in. If he has just lost his love for the game then that would worry me, as I would think his head wouldn't be in it even if he decided to play. Although Ryan O'Reilly said he lost his love for the game in Buffalo and a change of scenery worked out well for him.

39 minutes ago, Fisix said:

No, at least because of the injury, but if there actually is some issue wither Wheeler, I don't expect that mindset (intra-team politics) to magically change with venue.  So, nope.

I don't think there has been talk of Buff not getting on with teammates in the past, so it could be because of some specific incident that occurred in Winnipeg. It doesn't mean there would be issues on a new team.

56 minutes ago, Fisix said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

No, at least because of the injury, but if there actually is some issue wither Wheeler, I don't expect that mindset (intra-team politics) to magically change with venue.  So, nope.

Still love that video of him hauling two other fairly large players out of a scrum on the ice by grabbing both by their collars at the same time and lifting them up to their skates and guiding them back away from the fight.  They recognized it was him, and let it happen gracefully.

Even with a bad ankle, he still put up 2G/6A in six games against the Blues in the playoffs while averaging more than 25 mins of TOI per game.

Also, as Nieder said there's nothing to indicate that Big Buff has been a locker room cancer in the past. Sometimes locker rooms just have issues between players and one or both needs to be moved. That doesn't mean they won't fit into their new locker room (See, e.g., Hoffman, Mike and Karlsson, Erik).

Edited by dtsdlaw