The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

On 5/25/2021 at 7:24 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I want to envision this offseason having both McDavid and Eichel being traded now!

I can't see them moving McDavid right away but at some point you have to start making moves. They're no closer to The Cup than they were 4 years ago and that team is a mess. They do have a lot of contracts expiring the coming 1-2 years but they have lots of things to figure out. 
If I'm oilers management I start taking calls on Draisaitl. They could command a pretty package for him and they should do it before someone says they want out. See the Pronger situation. I can see an Eichel situation unfolding where McDavid and/or Draisaitl say he/they want out. That would be a disaster. 

Does anybody know what's going on with Jonathan Drouin? I know he has personal issues. I guess it's more a mental thing than a physical issue but if he gets it together again is he someone we should be interested in? I don't know whether he's bothered by playing in the pressure cooker that is Montreal but that's an issue he won't have in Anaheim. I'd like to take a gamble on him. 

Here is a Trade Scenario I have for OUR DUCKS...

to Columbus: Rakell,Steel,Larsson,Draft Pick

To Anaheim:Laine,Werenski...Draft Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

27 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Jarmo would be fired on the spot. That is an amazing trade for the Ducks, and a franchise crusher for Columbus.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I can't see them moving McDavid right away but at some point you have to start making moves. They're no closer to The Cup than they were 4 years ago and that team is a mess. They do have a lot of contracts expiring the coming 1-2 years but they have lots of things to figure out. 
If I'm oilers management I start taking calls on Draisaitl. They could command a pretty package for him and they should do it before someone says they want out. See the Pronger situation. I can see an Eichel situation unfolding where McDavid and/or Draisaitl say he/they want out. That would be a disaster. 

Does anybody know what's going on with Jonathan Drouin? I know he has personal issues. I guess it's more a mental thing than a physical issue but if he gets it together again is he someone we should be interested in? I don't know whether he's bothered by playing in the pressure cooker that is Montreal but that's an issue he won't have in Anaheim. I'd like to take a gamble on him. 

If I'm Oilers management, there's no way I'm trading McDavid or Draisaitl. Start with getting out from under James Neal's contract ($5.75M) and then use his money to bring in top-6 wingers so that McDavid and Draisatl don't ever have to play on the same line together unless they're down a goal with a minute left (ala Crosby/Malkin). The Oilers are really not that far from being very, very good. Just a couple of complimentary pieces IMO. I expect them to be the second best team in our division next season behind Vegas.

Was also wondering the same thing about Drouin. I don't think he's been playing much center lately (which is really what we need more than anything else), but if could be moved into a center role to take some pressure off Zegras then I'd be all for giving him a shot in our less intense hockey market.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If I'm Oilers management, there's no way I'm trading McDavid or Draisaitl. Start with getting out from under James Neal's contract ($5.75M) and then use his money to bring in top-6 wingers so that McDavid and Draisatl don't ever have to play on the same line together unless they're down a goal with a minute left (ala Crosby/Malkin). The Oilers are really not that far from being very, very good. Just a couple of complimentary pieces IMO. I expect them to be the second best team in our division next season behind Vegas.

Was also wondering the same thing about Drouin. I don't think he's been playing much center lately (which is really what we need more than anything else), but if could be moved into a center role to take some pressure off Zegras then I'd be all for giving him a shot in our less intense hockey market.

plus, with the cap, i don't think they can move Draisaitl for a full price trade, which is all they should contemplate.  he's clearly good, but there's still a nagging suspicion he needs a McDavid to be worth his salary.  Edmonton needs to build a deep team like TOR has... somehow.  i've just never felt like the players on the Oilers are as likeable (by other players) over a full season as the TOR team players are (especially now).  maybe it's ownership issues too, and i'm sure it's weather and the city locale.  for whatever reason, i don't see them drawing older players with discounted salaries like TOR has.

15 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The only way to get out from under neal's contract is to take on a bad contract in return or to retain. That's not going to free up enough salary to sign a good top 6 winger. They only have 8 forwards signed for next season. That's good in the sense that you have a lot of options but you also have to fill out a huge portion of your roster. They have 35 mil invested in McDavid, Draisaitl, Neal, Kassian & Nurse. I don't know what the cap projects to be but  I thought it was going to be something like 81 mil. That leaves 46 mil to put the rest of their roster together. They already carry 2 mil in dead cap space from sekera and lucic. That neal contract blows chunks but by dealing Draisaitl they won't add negative value. Or a RNH sign and trade but that hardly ever happens. 
Holland is going to have a busy summer.

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Jarmo would be fired on the spot. That is an amazing trade for the Ducks, and a franchise crusher for Columbus.

Set on fire might be more like it. No way they take that deal.
I do like the idea of going after Laine. I know he has a reputation but we need goal scoring badly and he does that. Teemu wasn't a defensive juggernaut either. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, MooseDuck said:

You'd have to replace our "draft pick" with something like "Comtois" or "Terry," the latter of which I wouldn't mind.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 12:55 PM, dtsdlaw said:

All of the speculation about the Oilers trading McDavid or Draisaitl is just nonsense from bitter Toronto based media that are still upset McDavid didn't fall to the Leafs, and resent the fact that he is better than Matthews*. There is just no chance they move either player. I also don't think this was the season that makes either player think he wants to be traded. A shortened season, Covid protocols, no crowds in the stands. Their team got swept but every game was decided by 1 goal (Game 1 was 4-1 but with 2 empty netters). They really are not that far off. If they got slightly better goaltending and Hellebuyck didn't stand on his head for Winnipeg, the result could have easily gone the other way. Adding a decent goalie must be a top priority alongside adding those wingers. Also, what team could take on McDavid's massive contract? There can't be many. A lot of money would have to go back to Edmonton - and I don't think he wants to get traded to Buffalo for Eichel.

*A side note on this. Just watch how many first place MVP votes Matthews or Marner get this award season. McDavid had 35 more points than either guy, but I guarantee there will be a lot of votes for the Leafs stars just because of how biased the Toronto media is.

Edited by nieder

1 hour ago, nieder said:

All of the speculation about the Oilers trading McDavid or Draisaitl is just nonsense from bitter Toronto based media that are still upset McDavid didn't fall to the Leafs, and resent the fact that he is better than Matthews*. There is just no chance they move either player. I also don't think this was the season that makes either player think he wants to be traded. A shortened season, Covid protocols, no crowds in the stands. Their team got swept but every game was decided by 1 goal (Game 1 was 4-1 but with 2 empty netters). They really are not that far off. If they got slightly better goaltending and Hellebuyck didn't stand on his head for Winnipeg, the result could have easily gone the other way. Adding a decent goalie must be a top priority alongside adding those wingers. Also, what team could take on McDavid's massive contract? There can't be many. A lot of money would have to go back to Edmonton - and I don't think he wants to get traded to Buffalo for Eichel.

*A side note on this. Just watch how many first place MVP votes Matthews or Marner get this award season. McDavid had 35 more points than either guy, but I guarantee there will be a lot of votes for the Leafs stars just because of how biased the Toronto media is.

well this is why I wonder if Draisitle makes more sense for Edmonton...I know they probably don't WANT to...but i'm sure he could bring in a VERY good goalie... (although, to be faaaair...I don't think Mike Smith was the issue in the playoffs for them....shockingly)

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

sounds like Seth Jones will be testing FA.... that's a HUGE deal....

Ducks won’t pay what he can get.

2 hours ago, ike8228 said:

Ducks won’t pay what he can get.

oh yeah, ducks wont be in the running at all, makes very little sense...

but curious to see if Edmonton or Toronto makes a push....or....well I mean, there are so many teams!

Jones would be the best defender we've had since Niedermayer. If I was GMBM I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him in a Ducks sweater. If we can give a skating dumpster like Bieksa 8 million during a cap crunch while the team expected to contend, no reason why this rebuilding team can't shell out big bucks for a franchise altering player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Jones would be the best defender we've had since Niedermayer. If I was GMBM I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him in a Ducks sweater. If we can give a skating dumpster like Bieksa 8 million during a cap crunch while the team expected to contend, no reason why this rebuilding team can't shell out big bucks for a franchise altering player.

Jones is pretty overrated imo. I’m pretty low on him, especially considering the price he’s going to fetch. 

21 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

sounds like Seth Jones will be testing FA.... that's a HUGE deal....

ITS MORE THEN HUGE....IT'S BIG IT'S going to make Free Agent SHOCKING.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

So a while ago I saw that Pittsburgh might pursue Gibson heavily. I don’t think they have anything worth Gibson, but it does raise the question. How long do you give Gibson before seeing what Dostal can do? He looks as good in the AHL. I don’t think you can trade Gibby before Dostal sets foot on the ice in a Ducks jersey, but Dostal has really played himself into a conversation we probably never thought we’d have. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So a while ago I saw that Pittsburgh might pursue Gibson heavily. I don’t think they have anything worth Gibson, but it does raise the question. How long do you give Gibson before seeing what Dostal can do? He looks as good in the AHL. I don’t think you can trade Gibby before Dostal sets foot on the ice in a Ducks jersey, but Dostal has really played himself into a conversation we probably never thought we’d have. 

If they want to give use Samuel Poulin, Kasperi Kapanen and their 2022 first round pick then maybe we could make a deal but I don't think there's any chance Dostal is going to be a full-time starter until 2022-2023 at the earliest and that's assuming he plays lights out in the AHL again along with getting several quality NHL starts next year. I can see him more likely being the starter the following season which would still be an amazing development path if he pans out.

• Like 1

What will the leafs do? This is their 5th year with matthew, marner, reilly and nylander. Tavares is excused because he only played in 2 of those 5 seasons (not counting this one since he left in game 1). Five disappointments later you gotta wonder whether they will go on with that core? Their D needs work and they only have campbell signed in net (good contract if he can keep it up). Hyman will be looking for a raise and they lack depth up front. Their signings to add toughness (simmonds, foligno) weren't a huge success either. 

I'd love to have Nylander who actually showed up in the Playoffs. Would you trade away our 2021 1st for him? Our 1st + Josh Manson + Derek Grant (cap dump). Too much or too little?

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

What will the leafs do? This is their 5th year with matthew, marner, reilly and nylander. Tavares is excused because he only played in 2 of those 5 seasons (not counting this one since he left in game 1). Five disappointments later you gotta wonder whether they will go on with that core? Their D needs work and they only have campbell signed in net (good contract if he can keep it up). Hyman will be looking for a raise and they lack depth up front. Their signings to add toughness (simmonds, foligno) weren't a huge success either. 

I'd love to have Nylander who actually showed up in the Playoffs. Would you trade away our 2021 1st for him? Our 1st + Josh Manson + Derek Grant (cap dump). Too much or too little?

Wasn’t the rumor Nylander for Mason straight up before? If we are throwing the 1st in just to dump Grant no thanks. If the Ducks can get Power in the draft, we will have our big D that could replace Manson? I wouldn’t want to give up the pick if it’s Power. It also depends on the expansion draft too. Who is for sure gone or traded. Maybe Manson is gone, doubtful but who knows. 

Gibby and Manson for Marner? The money would be close to washing out if I remember correctly. Solves both teams issues or a chunk of them.

Edited by ike8228

54 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Wasn’t the rumor Nylander for Mason straight up before? If we are throwing the 1st in just to dump Grant no thanks. If the Ducks can get Power in the draft, we will have our big D that could replace Manson? I wouldn’t want to give up the pick if it’s Power. It also depends on the expansion draft too. Who is for sure gone or traded. Maybe Manson is gone, doubtful but who knows. 

Gibby and Manson for Marner? The money would be close to washing out if I remember correctly. Solves both teams issues or a chunk of them.

IF that Happens I will Build a LightSaber....Anyways Ducks should look at all Options as our team will be apporaching the Entry Draft in a Month.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

I think anyone except Zegras and Drysdale should be on the table, that includes Gibson if the offer is big enough.

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I was trolling through the Leafs Reddit page last night and there is a lot of support in that fanbase for trading Marner, LMAO.

I'm pretty sure Nylander, Spezza and Muzzin were the only Leafs to score more than 1 goal in the series. Trading Nylander would definitely shake things up be he's one of the only guys that performed for them, so would be a pretty strange move.

20 minutes ago, nieder said:

I was trolling through the Leafs Reddit page last night and there is a lot of support in that fanbase for trading Marner, LMAO.

I'm pretty sure Nylander, Spezza and Muzzin were the only Leafs to score more than 1 goal in the series. Trading Nylander would definitely shake things up be he's one of the only guys that performed for them, so would be a pretty strange move.

Yeah, not really sure what the issues are with that team....I kinda think their best move is to not overreact and just do the moves necessary...like getting a back-up goalie and signing RFAs and re-sign UFAs or get new ones to replace them. Just general housekeeping for them.

...but if Marner or Nylander become available.......yes please! haha

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I think anyone except Zegras and Drysdale should be on the table, that includes Gibson if the offer is big enough.

Murray has already said all names are on the table except Zegras and Drysdale.

3 hours ago, dukitup said:

Murray has already said all names are on the table except Zegras and Drysdale.

IF that is the case I am for it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

13 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Nah, our own first round picks shouldn’t go anywhere for the time being, imo. Nylander seems like the guy Toronto would keep and they’d try and ship out Marner and his contract if they are going to blow things up. I feel bad for Toronto lol

10 hours ago, nieder said:

Sure, but I don’t know if you move on from Gibson unless the deal is unreal. And I don’t think Pittsburgh has enough. Marner for Gibson? 👀

5 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sure, but I don’t know if you move on from Gibson unless the deal is unreal. And I don’t think Pittsburgh has enough. Marner for Gibson? 👀

it would be painful on both sides, but i think marner could do well here, and gibson there... though they don't really need gibson.  frankly, they need a healthy Manson and Shatt more than they need a gibson.  they'd love a Fowler or Lindholm, but i think we'd be crazy to move either of those contracts right now.  if we traded gibson to TOR for Marner, my guess is that they'd turn right around and trade him out to fill their d-line needs with low-cost but skilled d-R/FAs.  i think they'd have done much better in this series with Gbud in their D-line.

i don't think dubas is going to freak out and blow them up.  from what i can see, what they really need is better defensemen, supplemented by a better defense coach. they may need a better head coach, or their HC needs to be trained up for the playoffs.  i've heard one pundit say Keefe didn't adjust the matchup against marner and matthews enough when they had home ice, and that might be true.  my view is that once Tavares went down, and their god line was being effectively shut down, ESPECIALLY in the 6th game, they needed to try splitting matthews and marner and maybe using some of their bulk in the 4th line to clear the way for one of the Ms or Nylander to score.  i think what everyone agrees on is that Keefe didn't seem willing to change things up enough when it was pretty clear to everyone else that Montreal had figured out a way to shut down the TOR lines that kept being sent out on the ice shift after shift.  Montreal didn't have a god line that TOR needed to be super wary of, so there wasn't a good argument to stay the course, at least not after they made it partway through the 6th game.  certainly not after the 3rd poor start partway through the 1st period of the 7th game.

it's one of those things where a coach has to work in real time to open up some space for his key players.  it's one of the weaknesses BB had in the playoffs (not this exact weakness, but the weakness in real time adjustment and overall confidence while in the playoffs).  Keefe does so well during the regular season, i think you work on him rather than move on, but TOR's defense coach needs to be rejiggered, and they probably need to figure out a way to get a better d-line than they have now.  i'm not so down on the mistakes each individual d-man made to lose the 5th and 6th games in overtime, but TOR's defensive shape left almost no room for recovering from mistakes.  that wouldn't be as much of a problem if their d-line was offensively minded - they'd have an excuse to be out of position and leaky in the back - but their d-line is not offensive, and at least in this series, they looked like they couldn't get set up properly most of the time (because their Fs would outrun them).  I'm sure Montreal played a game that made that tendency worse (what's the name for the type of play where the team bogs down the neutral zone so that the puck just doesn't pass smoothly and the other (faster) team gets super frustrated?  i know the Ducks did that quite a bit - ugly play, but effective against the right teams), but then we're just back to the lack of being able to adjust... over a full 3-4 games of the series.  

because of the ED, if they want to move people, they might try to do it quick before the ED.  but, by the same token, they might have all their chips in a row and not want to mess with their ED plans.  the safe play is to just adjust coaching and give most of the team a pass through next season (whoever will stay for a reduced price).  Freddie is likely out... if he's exposable, they'll do that i think.

21 hours ago, ike8228 said:

That was a rumor back in the day when Manson was playing way better and wasn't injury prone. So we most definitely would have to add and I think something significant if we want to dump Grant's contract. And I think Manson has only 1 year remaining on his contract. Anyway I don't see them trading Nylander. As I stated already he actually showed up in the Playoffs and earns a lot less than JT, Matthews & Marner.

It's crazy how their fanbase is roasting Marner. I kinda feel bad for the kid. He just turned 24 and has put up 25 points in 32 Playoff games. He may be soft but I wouldn't call him a disaster either. Sure he makes 11 mil and that's not good but dubas gave him that contract. Matthews doesn't take that much heat while their performances were pretty much the same.

I wouldn't say no to Marner (starting in 22-23 he makes 8 mil in actual salary) but then I think toronto would have to retain something or take back a cap dump (Shattenkirk).

Edited by DucksFan_08