The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I am against ANY $10 mil player on our roster, especially with the questionable health situation. Let Lost Angeles Kings have him.

As far as our team, remember Kariya and Selanne surrounded by a group of warm bodies? Both star players had a salary of $10 mil each and Ducks just couldn't afford to sign a quality support players. As a result, 4 straight non-playoff seasons and wasted opportunity for both players. There are plenty of talented forwards with the salary range of $6-7 mil. per season, Bob should go after them.

None of them are point per game Centers. Eichel’s contract is actually pretty good. He’s only signed for 5 years. Takes him right into his age 29 year. All this hoopla about 10 million players is overblown because Toronto fell apart and someone like Kucherov makes JUST under 10. Having 1 guy making 10 isn’t all that crazy. Toronto’s issue is they have THREE making that much money. Which is handcuffing the team. Getzlaf and Perry were also making 8.5 on their deals.  Having to face him in LA would be the worst. Having Eichel and Zegras down the middle for the foreseeable future, sign me up. 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, MooseDuck said:
15 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

None of them are point per game Centers. Eichel’s contract is actually pretty good. He’s only signed for 5 years. Takes him right into his age 29 year. All this hoopla about 10 million players is overblown because Toronto fell apart and someone like Kucherov makes JUST under 10. Having 1 guy making 10 isn’t all that crazy. Toronto’s issue is they have THREE making that much money. Which is handcuffing the team. Getzlaf and Perry were also making 8.5 on their deals.  Having to face him in LA would be the worst. Having Eichel and Zegras down the middle for the foreseeable future, sign me up. 

Let’s do it!

22 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Also just saw a tweet from this same account saying the Sabres want to send him out west so he wont compete against them often...and that the Ducks/Kings are in the convo...although I thought I saw that the Kings were officially out. So...who knows haha

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Also just saw a tweet from this same account saying the Sabres want to send him out west so he wont compete against them often...and that the Ducks/Kings are in the convo...although I thought I saw that the Kings were officially out. So...who knows haha

Go Kings Go!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Go Kings Go!!

Y’all are crazy, imagine having to face 

Byfield 

Turcotte 

Kaliyev 

+ Eichel for a decade, maybe more. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Byfield 

Turcotte 

Kaliyev 

For real. That’s a scary thought 

50 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Byfield 

Turcotte 

Kaliyev 

By all reports, Byfield is off the table and LA could have Turcotte be a main piece for Eichel. Also, I can't fault the Kings for getting lucky with Byfield and also drafting well so that they have so much talent in their prospect pool. They are loaded at center going forward whether they trade for Eichel or not. Maybe if Murray had actually committed to a rebuild like the Kings did instead of extending and continuing to hold hold onto veteran players, then he'd have more quality assets to part with. 

Also, I'd love to picture Bob Murray being mad if the Kings got Eichel with a package involving Kaliyev, who he passed on lol.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

If you personally guarantee his neck, then fine. 

49 minutes ago, Fisix said:

If you personally guarantee his neck, then fine. 

There’s risk, I can’t personally guarantee anything. 24 year old, franchise centers don’t just become available without some sort of risk, but look at Vegas. They made team altering trades for players who became available. Stone, Pacioretty. It’s not a 1:1 comparison, but if you can add talent like Eichel and do it without your 2 best prospects. I think you roll the dice. 

• Like 4

I can't see Eichel coming to the ducks. Not without GMBM trading  Zegras or Drysdale or both.  Even then I don't think Eichel would waive his no trade to come to the Ducks. Plus it seems CBH has a deal already coming together.

14 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I can't see Eichel coming to the ducks. Not without GMBM trading  Zegras or Drysdale or both.  Even then I don't think Eichel would waive his no trade to come to the Ducks. Plus it seems CBH has a deal already coming together.

Eichel’s no move clause kicks in July 1, 2022. He has no trade protection right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

What have you heard about Columbus’ potential package? They have 3 first rounders this draft, but two of those are 25th or later. And they have one of the worst prospect pools in the entire league. Is Laine in the deal? Seems like he’d have to be in order to beat Anaheim’s offers. Columbus actually makes very little sense to me as an Eichel destination, especially with Jones wanting out.

Some Buffalo fans are out of their minds. I saw a YouTube video with the deal:

Zegras

Gibson

3rd overall 

2022 1st rounder

And the video goes on about “having” to take on Gibson. Says Ducks not wanting to move Zegras is a bluff. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

There’s risk, I can’t personally guarantee anything. 24 year old, franchise centers don’t just become available without some sort of risk, but look at Vegas. They made team altering trades for players who became available. Stone, Pacioretty. It’s not a 1:1 comparison, but if you can add talent like Eichel and do it without your 2 best prospects. I think you roll the dice. 

Vegas also made those trades because they were a contending team and went to the SCF in their first year. Their window was open from day one and they had a boatload of assets in picks as well as prospects like Suzuki and Brannstrom to pull off those trades off to go for the Cup. It's a completely different situation than the Ducks are currently in. I do not think that Vegas trades away those players and assets if they had struggled and finished in the bottom third of the league. Vegas seemed to be loading up their prospect pool so that they could be competitive a couple of years down the line but then rightfully changed course after the success of their first season.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Zegras

Gibson

3rd overall 

2022 1st rounder

And the video goes on about “having” to take on Gibson. Says Ducks not wanting to move Zegras is a bluff. 

Yeah, that's either delusional or a bad troll job attempt lol.

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Zegras

Gibson

3rd overall 

2022 1st rounder

sounds like this youtuber has been playing NHL 2020 a bit too much :P 

If Buffalo has their eye on 2 players in the top 5 picks...the Ducks having the 3rd pick basically is almost all it should take. CBJ has their #5 and I can't imagine didn't throw in Laine and/or another of their firsts. I'd imagine the Ducks are including the 3rd, a late 1st round/early 2nd promising prospect, and Rico (if that's allowed? maybe Silfv instead). Rakell? I dunno. Some roster player probably.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

sounds like this youtuber has been playing NHL 2020 a bit too much :P 

If Buffalo has their eye on 2 players in the top 5 picks...the Ducks having the 3rd pick basically is almost all it should take. CBJ has their #5 and I can't imagine didn't throw in Laine and/or another of their firsts. I'd imagine the Ducks are including the 3rd, a late 1st round/early 2nd promising prospect, and Rico (if that's allowed? maybe Silfv instead). Rakell? I dunno. Some roster player probably.

Yeah, think

1: Sabres fans are overvaluing Eichel, given his situation. He’s hurt, potentially seriously, and essentially HAVE to trade him before he gets his NTC or NMC which ever it is, and can fully dictate where he goes. 
2: Sabres fans are undervaluing a 3rd overall pick. This draft isn’t a bunch of chumps, there’s going to be very good players available at 3. Adding 2 of them is huge. 
3: Overestimating how many teams can pay around the desired price and afford Eichel’s contract. 10 million a year is a lot in a flat cap era. Not very many teams can afford to send you a top pick in the draft, a good prospect and a roster player and afford 10 million in cap.

im not trading Zegras or Drysdale. It just sets the teams rebuild back further and you want Eichel to help push this core, not subtract from the core. I get that Eichel himself is probably worth it, but it doesn’t really do much for this franchise, where it’s at currently. 

3rd Overall Pick

Comtois 

Henrique with retained salary. 

That’s the crux of my deal. Maybe I’ll add another non-first round pick in a future draft or a Sam Steel type prospect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Yeah, think

1: Sabres fans are overvaluing Eichel, given his situation. He’s hurt, potentially seriously, and essentially HAVE to trade him before he gets his NTC or NMC which ever it is, and can fully dictate where he goes. 
2: Sabres fans are undervaluing a 3rd overall pick. This draft isn’t a bunch of chumps, there’s going to be very good players available at 3. Adding 2 of them is huge. 
3: Overestimating how many teams can pay around the desired price and afford Eichel’s contract. 10 million a year is a lot in a flat cap era. Not very many teams can afford to send you a top pick in the draft, a good prospect and a roster player and afford 10 million in cap.

im not trading Zegras or Drysdale. It just sets the teams rebuild back further and you want Eichel to help push this core, not subtract from the core. I get that Eichel himself is probably worth it, but it doesn’t really do much for this franchise, where it’s at currently. 

3rd Overall Pick

Comtois 

That’s the crux of my deal. Maybe I’ll add another non-first round pick in a future draft or a Sam Steel type prospect. 

Oh there's no way Bob trades Z or Dry. That would be absolutely insane and I'd be 100% on the BM needs to go train.

I think you're right that it's probably Comtois. That makes more sense for Buffalo....although I'd hate to see him go. But I wonder with all those points you bring up if Bob can get this done without moving Comtois.

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh there's no way Bob trades Z or Dry. That would be absolutely insane and I'd be 100% on the BM needs to go train.

I think you're right that it's probably Comtois. That makes more sense for Buffalo....although I'd hate to see him go. But I wonder with all those points you bring up if Bob can get this done without moving Comtois.

If he can get Eichel without Drysdale, Zegras, or Comtois. Give him a lifetime extension 

7 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If he can get Eichel without Drysdale, Zegras, or Comtois. Give him a lifetime extension 

That's the only way I can be on board with an Eichel deal but buffalo would be incredibly dumb not to ask for any of them. I can see Dostal having quite some value but not as a center piece for Eichel. Man I've been dying for a big move by BM since the Kesler trade and now that these rumours are surfacing I'm getting anxious 😀

11 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Agreed. I don't want to set us back by acquiring a big names player by giving away Z or Dry. Comtois for Eichel I would do but not those other two. So I'm not sure why some people seem to think that we're talking about giving away the farm for Eichel. If we don't give away our future I think we should do the trade. 

Another question is if the trade is days away as rumored, how does that affect the ED as far as protected players? The assumption has been we go 8/1 to protect 4D. Eichel has to be protected (Comtois does not). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Rakell, Lunderstrom, Terry included in the trade too.

50 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Another question is if the trade is days away as rumored, how does that affect the ED as far as protected players? The assumption has been we go 8/1 to protect 4D. Eichel has to be protected (Comtois does not). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Rakell, Lunderstrom, Terry included in the trade too.

Or they wait hopefully 

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Yeah, think

3rd Overall Pick

Comtois 

#3 is a big one. Everyone wants to be in on Eichel, but very few teams actually can be. Like how everyone just assumed that the Kings were the frontrunners because of their talent pool, completely ignoring the fact that the Kings already have two guys on their cap payroll - Kopitar at $10M and Doughty at $11M - making as much or more than Eichel. You can't build a cup team in a flat cap era with $31M tied up in 3 players when your defense and goaltending is as horrid as LA's is. I also don't think anyone downplaying our offer has taken a serious look at what other suitors are willing to offer. They just assume that the Rangers are willing to give away Lafrienere for Eichel and that the Ducks therefore can't compete with the Rangers without sending Zegras, which is just flat out wrong. Very few teams have or are willing to move the big pieces that people seem to think they will for Eichel.

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

I forget whose podcast I heard it on (maybe Friedman, maybe LeBrun, maybe Dreger...), but the comment was that Anaheim was open to taking on players prior to the expansion draft because they had spots open. My interpretation was that GMBM isn't in love with this group of forwards and would have no hesitation in swapping players in or out of the protected spots if it meant upgrading the team with a significant player or two. But I also think you're right on one or several of those players being included in the trade, simply because of the value they would add to an offer. For example, I could see something like the #3 + #34 draft picks in this draft + Perreault (former 27th OA) + Lundestrom (former 23rd OA) + a conditional 1st in 2022/2023 (Ducks choice) as being the type of futures package that would get it done.

I'm also not convinced Buffalo would require Comtois in the trade given his pending RFA status. I think everyone agrees that Max has earned himself a sizeable raise in a Ducks sweater, but I question whether Buffalo wants to be the team giving Comtois a new contract for work that he did with another team. Especially when you start looking at his underlying fancy stats (especially defensively) and his absurdly high shooting percentage. Max would probably be getting $3M+ on his next RFA deal with the Ducks, but if he's dealt to Buffalo for Eichel, why wouldn't he demand substantially more on his next contract? Because if they strip down that Sabres team for a full rebuild, they could easily be crushing Max's offensive production for the next couple of years, which means lost $$ on his next contract. So if I'm his agent, I'm demanding from Buffalo this summer the 2021 equivalent of Ryan O'Reilly's 1st RFA contract (for reference, ROR's 1st RFA contract was 2yrs/$10M, with the second season at $6.5M so that the Avs had to offer him at least $6.5M as a qualifying offer to retain his RFA rights). Is that what Buffalo wants to sign up for? Comtois is looking like a very good player, but I would think they'd want more control and cost certainty from players they get back in an Eichel trade. Which is why guys like Lundestrom and Terry and not-yet-NHLers like Perreault make more sense IMO.

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Barstool should have been fired and sent to the Upside Down two years ago.

42 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Buffalo should not trade Eichel to the Ducks without demanding at LEAST one of Zegras, Drysdale, or the 3rd pick.  If they don't demand one of those three in a deal, the Ducks should take that and run with it, unless Eichel's head is proven to be fully detached from the rest of his body.

On the other side, if Buffalo demands one of the assets above, the Ducks should absolutely not do that deal, given Eichel's health concerns and the Ducks' rebuilding status.  

I just don't see a fit here unless Buffalo is so backed into a corner that they have to take 45 cents on the dollar to dump Eichel.

Edited for clarity.

Pretty much. I’m fully braced for the Ducks trading for Eichel. I think that Murray is desperate, the fan base has mostly turned on him and Eichel is a big name that he and ownership can appease them with. We’d then just have to wait until Eichel gets fed up with not being noticeably closer to a Cup and demands a out of town when he’ll have trade protection lol.

13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

#3 is a big one. Everyone wants to be in on Eichel, but very few teams actually can be. Like how everyone just assumed that the Kings were the frontrunners because of their talent pool, completely ignoring the fact that the Kings already have two guys on their cap payroll - Kopitar at $10M and Doughty at $11M - making as much or more than Eichel. You can't build a cup team in a flat cap era with $31M tied up in 3 players when your defense and goaltending is as horrid as LA's is. I also don't think anyone downplaying our offer has taken a serious look at what other suitors are willing to offer. They just assume that the Rangers are willing to give away Lafrienere for Eichel and that the Ducks therefore can't compete with the Rangers without sending Zegras, which is just flat out wrong. Very few teams have or are willing to move the big pieces that people seem to think they will for Eichel.

I forget whose podcast I heard it on (maybe Friedman, maybe LeBrun, maybe Dreger...), but the comment was that Anaheim was open to taking on players prior to the expansion draft because they had spots open. My interpretation was that GMBM isn't in love with this group of forwards and would have no hesitation in swapping players in or out of the protected spots if it meant upgrading the team with a significant player or two. But I also think you're right on one or several of those players being included in the trade, simply because of the value they would add to an offer. For example, I could see something like the #3 + #34 draft picks in this draft + Perreault (former 27th OA) + Lundestrom (former 23rd OA) + a conditional 1st in 2022/2023 (Ducks choice) as being the type of futures package that would get it done.

I'm also not convinced Buffalo would require Comtois in the trade given his pending RFA status. I think everyone agrees that Max has earned himself a sizeable raise in a Ducks sweater, but I question whether Buffalo wants to be the team giving Comtois a new contract for work that he did with another team. Especially when you start looking at his underlying fancy stats (especially defensively) and his absurdly high shooting percentage. Max would probably be getting $3M+ on his next RFA deal with the Ducks, but if he's dealt to Buffalo for Eichel, why wouldn't he demand substantially more on his next contract? Because if they strip down that Sabres team for a full rebuild, they could easily be crushing Max's offensive production for the next couple of years, which means lost $$ on his next contract. So if I'm his agent, I'm demanding from Buffalo this summer the 2021 equivalent of Ryan O'Reilly's 1st RFA contract (for reference, ROR's 1st RFA contract was 2yrs/$10M, with the second season at $6.5M so that the Avs had to offer him at least $6.5M as a qualifying offer to retain his RFA rights). Is that what Buffalo wants to sign up for? Comtois is looking like a very good player, but I would think they'd want more control and cost certainty from players they get back in an Eichel trade. Which is why guys like Lundestrom and Terry and not-yet-NHLers like Perreault make more sense IMO.

I’d drop kick Murray into an active volcano if he gave those assets up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’d drop kick Murray into an active volcano if he gave those assets up.

I agree, that's too much. I'd trade the 3rd overall but to give them several 1st rounders and guys who were chosen in the first round is too much. I'd like to see progress, not trade away the future for one guy. 

8 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I agree, that's too much. I'd trade the 3rd overall but to give them several 1st rounders and guys who were chosen in the first round is too much. I'd like to see progress, not trade away the future for one guy. 

When we got Pronger, we sent Edmonton: Lupul (former #7OA) + Smid (former #9OA) + 1st in 2007 (#30) + 1st in 2008 (#22) + 2nd in 2008 (#53). So basically four 1st rounders and a second rounder, which is essentially the same as what I suggested. Pronger was also 32-years-old. Eichel turns 25 in October.

Maybe it's a bit too much, but you're going to have to give to get, especially for a top-10 forward in the league. I think its also fair to look at the offer sheet compensation rules as background on what it might take for a deal that is entirely futures. If you were to get an RFA on an offer sheet for $10M, the compensation is two 1st rounders, a second rounder, and a 3rd rounder. I think that's the starting point for any Eichel deal that is based entirely on futures, and just giving up that package of picks doesn't get a deal done because nearly ever other team in the league has those assets to trade. It's gotta be more than the offer sheet compensation. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

For example, I could see something like the #3 + #34 draft picks in this draft + Perreault (former 27th OA) + Lundestrom (former 23rd OA) + a conditional 1st in 2022/2023 (Ducks choice) as being the type of futures package that would get it done.

Murray should be fired into the sun if he did that, and I’m not one of the ultra hate Murray people either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

When the Ducks traded for Pronger, they had:

• Come off of a run to the conference finals
  • A HoF defenseman in his prime
  • A HoF RW who had just put up a 90-point season.
  • Two recent 1st round picks ready to contribute on the second line

These Ducks are nowhere near those Ducks.  Yes, the age part of it makes a difference, but Eichel's injury also mitigates that advantage somewhat.  If the Ducks can find a way to pick up two HoF players this summer, then sure, I'm down for trading all those assets.

The current state of the franchise doesn't have any bearing on what it would cost to get Eichel, which is what I have been posting about above. I'm just trying to give my impression of what it will realistically take to get the deal done. Buffalo isn't going to lower or raise their price depending on how close the suitors are to being competitive (though they might based on which conference/division they play in). Feel free to pick apart my logic on the cost of acquiring Eichel if you think that part is wrong, but I'm already on record as being reluctant to trade for Eichel due to his injury history, so I don't think you'll get much argument from me. Though I would consider a deal that was for a bit less than what I think the price will be. That said, I'd rather we trade for Reinhart, who I am really high on. I'd even consider dangling the #3 pick (if Beniers is gone by then) or a conditional 1st in the 2022 draft for Reinhart. I have serious concerns about entering next season with our current center depth, and I think it could be disastrous for the long-term health of the franchise if we don't add a top-6 C this summer to help Zegras develop. Doing nothing at the center position this summer simply because there might be ~17% chance the ping pong balls can deliver Shane Wright at the next draft is an even worse strategy than selling the farm for Eichel.