The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

17 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think Eichel is the only guy on your list that I do that for, though.  I was up for Dubois when he was available last year, but he struggled so badly last year that I don't think he's worth it.  I've never been that big a fan of Laine - he's too one-dimensional, and that one dimension hasn't been anywhere close to elite the last few years.  Drouin is interesting because he ostensibly comes cheap.  If the Ducks can get him without giving up much, he's a guy you could take a flyer on and see if his career can be resurrected.  Although even with him, "cheap" is the operative word because he's a UFA in two years.  If he remains underwhelming, the Ducks have given up assets for nothing.  If he resurrects his career, he probably doesn't make the Ducks Cup contenders in the next two seasons but leaves before they get good.  I suppose at least in that case he's a trade deadline rental in two seasons.  But the Ducks can't give up anything significant for him for that to be worth it.

Eichel is my main guy. I think the train passed on Laine and Dubois as i don’t see teams moving them after they just traded for them. They just got brought up because Bombay said he wouldn’t move for them. I think Drouin could be sneaky good. If you can get out  from a contract like Silfverberg or Henrique for Drouin which is essentially the same cap, but he’s much younger and only has 2 years left. If he sucks then it’s not the worst thing, but Drouin’s “sucking” has been a 40 point guy and there’s value in that considering that’s pretty much our leading scorer for the last 2-3 years lol. I think they’re smart moves. I’m not a GM, so I’m just speculating for fun. I could be very wrong. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Moving out good NHL players for a fistful of picks and prospects, while not replacing those NHL players in the lineup so that you can finish with high draft odds the following season, is pretty much the definition of tanking. Rebuilding can certainly be done through tanking, but they're not one in the same. Rebuilding can also be done quite effectively by acquiring good young players from wherever you can get them, including through trades. Lots of teams do it this way rather than trying to suck their way to a high pick. Seguin to Dallas and the bold trades that Carolina made for Jordan Staal and Dougie Hamilton when the team wasn't very good both come to mind immediately. 

The Ducks aren’t trying to suck though and are just straight up bad as is. If they were tanking then we could point to that as the reason for 2+ seasons of very bad hockey. Plus, don’t you do that to a good extent when your team is bad and you have guys that will be UFAs in the near feature? The roster is a major problem which is why I’ve been screaming with a bullhorn to start moving on from it.

The Ducks run the risk of letting key players either walk for nothing, re-sign veteran-players who have been part of three terrible seasons and not likely being in their primes to maximize when hopefully Zegras and Drysdale make noise or getting less a return because Bob dithered and didn’t think they needed an actual rebuild. Also, if Bob had started the rebuild earlier which I think he hinted at regretting during the exit interviews (but who knows with him) then the Ducks would have far more assets and flexibility now to replace the guys that were traded. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Ducks aren’t trying to suck though and are just straight up bad as is. If they were tanking then we could point to that as the reason for 2+ seasons of very bad hockey. Plus, don’t you do that to a good extent when your team is bad and you have guys that will be UFAs in the near feature? The roster is a major problem which is why I’ve been screaming with a bullhorn to start moving on from it.

The Ducks run the risk of letting key players either walk for nothing, re-sign veteran-players who have been part of three terrible seasons and not likely being in their primes to maximize when hopefully Zegras and Drysdale make noise or getting less a return because Bob dithered and didn’t think they needed an actual rebuild. Also, if Bob had started the rebuild earlier which I think he hinted at regretting during the exit interviews (but who knows with him) then the Ducks would have far more assets and flexibility now to replace the guys that were traded. 

My post was about the strategy you've been advocating for, not about the Ducks past performance or what they should have done previously. You have consistently posted about your opposition to acquiring high level talent and your desire to move out veterans like Manson, Rakell, Lindholm, Silf, and Rico for picks and prospects, with the hope of landing Shane Wright in 2022. That's tanking. Seriously, just type in "Wright" in the search bar on the main page and scroll. It's all there. :lol:

I also don't have any issue with building a contender primarily through trades and free agency. I grew up a Rangers fan and Messier was traded to the Rangers on my birthday when I was a teenager, so maybe I'm a little biased towards the idea of acquiring a superstar via trade rather than hoping to find that diamond via the draft. But outside of 10 & 15, its basically how the Ducks built their Cup winner too. Our 2007 Cup team had only four guys on it that the Ducks drafted - Getzlaf, Perry, Drew Miller, and Bryz. And Bryz only played 5 games in the playoffs while Miller played in only 3 games. Oh, and Getz/Pears were 21-years-old that season. Guess which future Duck's superstar turns 21 this coming season.... 

Honestly, with this GM (who I don't think is going anywhere any time soon), I think the Ducks would just be spinning their wheels by trading all of their veterans and relying on drafting and developing players internally. This regime is just not that good at it. If the Ducks want to be good again, we should be trying to acquire great players from wherever we can get them, just like LA did prior to their 2012 Cup and like GMBM did when he got Kesler, who is really the only legitimate elite NHL player that Bob has added to this roster in the 13 years he's been our GM. The Ducks aren't getting any better by drafting a bunch of Ritchies, Steels, Joneses, and Lundestroms in the late first round. Go get some REAL talent. It'll make Zegras better to play with better players too, just like it did for 10 & 15 to play with the likes of Selanne and Niedermayer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

My post was about the strategy you've been advocating for, not about the Ducks past performance or what they should have done previously. You have consistently posted about your opposition to acquiring high level talent and your desire to move out veterans like Manson, Rakell, Lindholm, Silf, and Rico for picks and prospects, with the hope of landing Shane Wright in 2022. That's tanking. Seriously, just type in "Wright" in the search bar on the main page and scroll. It's all there. :lol:

I also don't have any issue with building a contender primarily through trades and free agency. I grew up a Rangers fan and Messier was traded to the Rangers on my birthday when I was a teenager, so maybe I'm a little biased towards the idea of acquiring a superstar via trade rather than hoping to find that diamond via the draft. But outside of 10 & 15, its basically how the Ducks built their Cup winner too. Our 2007 Cup team had only four guys on it that the Ducks drafted - Getzlaf, Perry, Drew Miller, and Bryz. And Bryz only played 5 games in the playoffs while Miller played in only 3 games. Oh, and Getz/Pears were 21-years-old that season. Guess which future Duck's superstar turns 21 this coming season.... 

Honestly, with this GM (who I don't think is going anywhere any time soon), I think the Ducks would just be spinning their wheels by trading all of their veterans and relying on drafting and developing players internally. This regime is just not that good at it. If the Ducks want to be good again, we should be trying to acquire great players from wherever we can get them, just like LA did prior to their 2012 Cup and like GMBM did when he got Kesler, who is really the only legitimate elite NHL player that Bob has added to this roster in the 13 years he's been our GM. The Ducks aren't getting any better by drafting a bunch of Ritchies, Steels, Joneses, and Lundestroms in the late first round. Go get some REAL talent. It'll make Zegras better to play with better players too, just like it did for 10 & 15 to play with the likes of Selanne and Niedermayer.

In addition. I’m not advocating for exclusively trading for talent, but making opportune trades for valuable players is essentially drafting. Except you’re getting someone with a little more proven of a history. Even someone like Drouin has proved he can score 20-30 goals in the NHL, consistently. So I’m not opposed yo moving guys we would probably move for picks to contenders and taking flyers on these sorts of players 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

In addition. I’m not advocating for exclusively trading for talent, but making opportune trades for valuable players is essentially drafting. Except you’re getting someone with a little more proven of a history. Even someone like Drouin has proved he can score 20-30 goals in the NHL, consistently. So I’m not opposed yo moving guys we would probably move for picks to contenders and taking flyers on these sorts of players 

I would take a flier on Drouin, but if I'm serious about building a good team, that's not the only move I'm making. How's this:

Rico + Tracey + 2nd (2022) for Tarasenko, Rakell + Steel + 34OA (2021) for Kuznetsov, Manson + Milano for Drouin, and re-sign Hakanpaa. That keeps the #3OA in this draft and our 2022 1st rounder and gives us this lineup for next season:

Drouin(5.5M)-Kuznetsov(7.8M)-Tarasenko(7.5M)

Comtois(3.3M)-Zegras(925K)-Terry(1.45M)

Jones(1.4M)-Getzlaf(4M)-Silfverberg(5.25M)

Deslauriers(1M)-Lundestrom(1.2M)-Volkov(875K)

Lindholm(5.2M)-Shattenkirk(3.9M)

Fowler(6.5M)-Hakanpaa(2.5M)

Fleury(1.3M)-Drysdale(925K)

Gibson(6.4M), Stolarz(950K)

If my math is correct, that starting lineup adds up to only $67.875M against an $81.5M cap. We could add decent a 13th forward and 7th D-man and still have plenty of space left so we don't even have to LTIR Kesler. Heck, that's even enough space to take on Tyler Johnson from Tampa (if Seattle doesn't take him). Those are the kinds of bold moves that Dean Lombardi made to build the Kings into a Cup winner. I want to see Bob do something like that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ah, I’d be advocating the same strategy even if there wasn’t a Wright or Lambert in the upcoming draft. The possibility of adding one of them or even Savoie just makes it more exciting. The Ducks are bad with a mediocre core of aging players that aren’t likely going to be a part of the next good team with 3 of them one season away from walking away for nothing and one that they waived earlier this year. So, that’s why I want to move on from them more so than the better lottery odds. But as luck would have it, we could really use another high end prospect or two!

Also, In regards to the 07’ Ducks, we’ve had discussions on these boards and I don’t think you can replicate that situation: drafting franchise players in one draft in the mid and late first round, one of the best defensemen ever signs in FA to play with his brother and to top it all off, ageless Teemu playing like the legend he is and Chris Pronger forcing himself out of Edmonton after leading them to game 7 of the Final the season earlier. The Ducks flopped on a straight flush to pull that Cup off.

With LA, they had already drafted a star center, defensemen, goalie and a high winger prior to that run and then swung big for Carter (who luckily got them forced is was out of Columbus) and Richards. We have a star level goalie right now, and that’s it imo. 

The Ducks are no longer drafting in the the late first round and are in position for the time being to draft much better players than Lundestrom, Steel, Jones to play with Zegras or do what LA did and start to flip those pieces if he, Drysdale, this year’s pick etc are the real deals down the line. 

In the end, as long as Murray is GM this team isn’t winning anything. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I would take a flier on Drouin, but if I'm serious about building a good team, that's not the only move I'm making. How's this:

Rico + Tracey + 2nd (2022) for Tarasenko, Rakell + Steel + 34OA (2021) for Kuznetsov, Manson + Milano for Drouin, and re-sign Hakanpaa. That keeps the #3OA in this draft and our 2022 1st rounder and gives us this lineup for next season:

If my math is correct, that starting lineup adds up to only $67.875M against an $81.5M cap. We could add decent a 13th forward and 7th D-man and still have plenty of space left so we don't even have to LTIR Kesler. Heck, that's even enough space to take on Tyler Johnson from Tampa (if Seattle doesn't take him). Those are the kinds of bold moves that Dean Lombardi made to build the Kings into a Cup winner. I want to see Bob do something like that!

I’d do that Drouin deal in a heartbeat 

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The only problem I see with your top line is Drouin might be going through some mental problems, Kuznetsov might be going through some drug problems and isn't Tarasenko going through physical problems, injuries? If they can stay together for most of the season that looks like an exciting line. I agree that I want to see Bob make some bold moves and drop some dead weight in the process but you know what usually happens lol. Maybe I'm just having Kariya/Selanne nostalgia but I would love to see Bob try to get Laine from Columbus. Comtois-Zegras-Laine.

7 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The only problem I see with your top line is Drouin might be going through some mental problems, Kuznetsov might be going through some drug problems and isn't Tarasenko going through physical problems, injuries? If they can stay together for most of the season that looks like an exciting line. I agree that I want to see Bob make some bold moves and drop some dead weight in the process but you know what usually happens lol. Maybe I'm just having Kariya/Selanne nostalgia but I would love to see Bob try to get Laine from Columbus. Comtois-Zegras-Laine.

Tarasenko had shoulder surgery in October 2019 that didn't work so he had the procedure re-done last August and then missed the first half of this past regular season. We learned from Vats and Lindholm that the labrum surgeries take some time to recover from because of range of motion issues, so it's not surprising that he didn't score a lot this past season. But I think it'd be worth a gamble on him recovering well this offseason and returning to 25-30+ goal form. I would bank on him being excited to play with Kuznetsov again too, if we could get both of them. https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm20/news/23397/where-are-they-today 

Kuznetsov's drug suspension was in 2019. I don't know if he's having further troubles with the nose candy or not.

For Drouin, we were told that he just couldn't handle playing in the pressure cooker of Montreal. If true, he could be reborn in a place like Anaheim. Worth a gamble IMO. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ahhhemmm.... I like the roster buuuut.... where's the Grantzlaf?!!! 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness though, who's going to be picked in the expansion draft? You might have a good idea but we still don't know who we're going to lose. That top 4 is pretty weak as well. Maybe pick up Vats or another veteran off free agency? I like the idea of Tarasenko and Kuzy together but we all know GMBM probably wouldn't do it because of all the character issues not to mention the Russian aspect. But that would be an exciting change.

We need Perry or someone like him more though I think. Look at Montreal, the kids seem to really enjoy his company and he looks to have helped them grow. We need that. 

But changes to our core need to be made as well. I don't think selling off is the right move either. We need to actually take advantage of this time where we have cap space and teams are desperate. Look at where we were when we didn't have space, teams were looking to abuse us. Now we have the upper hand. We should capitalize on the chances. We're a ways from contention but I agree with others, you do those trades when the chances come because they don't come around often. A timely trade or two could go a long way in terms of our rebuild. In this environment we should be winning our trades given our circumstances. So even if Bob is in charge it shouldn't matter. We need to not be idle. 

11 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

My thing is exactly that you can’t control when these guys become available. It’s not every day that Eichel level players become available. That’s my major point. I’m fine with taking the long road, trading for Eichel isn’t my idea of cutting it down. I just think this team needs talent, my point is making smart moves when the come up is the way we should do it. 

1) we aren’t in the running for Eichel. 

2) Eichel is too much of a risk for the Ducks. 

3) players like this will be up for trades more often than you think, with the flat cap in place. 

9 hours ago, Fisix said:

3) players like this will be up for trades more often than you think, with the flat cap in place. 

4) the trend of players asking for trades 

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

re-signing Hakanpaa would be a good start. Finding a taker for Fowler would be even better. Next season will be a lost anyways, the only hope is that our "genius" won't spend all money under the salary cap, so a new manager will have some room to work with.

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

I disagree he’s too much of a risk, we’re actually in a fine position to wait and let Eichel get healthy, we’re not going anywhere and we can suck this season get another good pick. I think you over estimate how many Eichel level players are even in the league and would be available at the age he is, but who knows maybe you’re right. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm basically into this strategy as well. 'Cause it's what the DUCKS need to do. Like many, I don't really trust their development of players...Getz/Perry didn't really need it but also, one could argue they never really developed out of their bad habits/skating issues...your point about the 2007 ducks is very "spot on" -- as one might say.

You can look at Tampa and be like wow! Stamkos, Kuch, Vas, Hedman, Point etc...and see the power of developing within...but that aint what the Ducks excel at and apparently Tampa does (who also traded for many other players like Coleman/Goodrow who were huge in the finals)

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I disagree he’s too much of a risk, we’re actually in a fine position to wait and let Eichel get healthy, we’re not going anywhere and we can suck this season get another good pick. I think you over estimate how many Eichel level players are even in the league and would be available at the age he is, but who knows maybe you’re right. 

I really think Friedman is wrong on Anaheim. If anything, they’re interested like a kid in Boston is interested in walking to Disneyland after the parents say no. 

48 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I really think Friedman is wrong on Anaheim. If anything, they’re interested like a kid in Boston is interested in walking to Disneyland after the parents say no. 

Eh, I think we can do really are in. Way too much smoke for there not to be fire. Especially considering how tight lipped Ducks rumors usually are. 

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Eh, I think we can do really are in. Way too much smoke for there not to be fire. Especially considering how tight lipped Ducks rumors usually are. 

Rumors are always Rumors with our Ducks Heresay there Heresay that.....Eitherway we should wait till we see it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm basically into this strategy as well. 'Cause it's what the DUCKS need to do. Like many, I don't really trust their development of players...Getz/Perry didn't really need it but also, one could argue they never really developed out of their bad habits/skating issues...your point about the 2007 ducks is very "spot on" -- as one might say.

You can look at Tampa and be like wow! Stamkos, Kuch, Vas, Hedman, Point etc...and see the power of developing within...but that aint what the Ducks excel at and apparently Tampa does (who also traded for many other players like Coleman/Goodrow who were huge in the finals)

Yeah, there’s concern which is why if they aren’t going go get better at arguably the most crucial aspect of building a team then trades aren’t going to solve for that. Eichel would want out of Anaheim and time will continue to be a flat circle for this franchise. It will stay flat as long as GMBM is around.

19 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think the Ducks are absolutely making a real push to get Eichel and are a front runner given the reports and who our “hockey trade” GM is. After the expansion draft and before the entry draft is shaping up to be wild with guys like Eichel, Jones, Tarasenko, Ekholm looking to get moved.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, there’s concern which is why if they aren’t going go get better at arguably the most crucial aspect of building a team then trades aren’t going to solve for that. Eichel would want out of Anaheim and time will continue to be a flat circle for this franchise. It will stay flat as long as GMBM is around.

I think the Ducks are absolutely making a real push to get Eichel and are a front runner given the reports and who our “hockey trade” GM is. After the expansion draft and before the entry draft is shaping up to be wild with guys like Eichel, Jones, Tarasenko, Ekholm looking to get moved.

well, if we are trading for better players that are developed...then our development issues are much less impactful. We didn't develop Selanne. Kariya wanted someone to play with. We traded for Selanne. If Eichel comes here and is healthy...and wants someone to play with besides Zegras...we could trade for that.

Also, apparently the Bouchard hiring was also about how he develops players? Just from what I've been reading...maybe Dinneen didn't focus enough on that for BMs taste? But at least thigns HAVE changed in the recents months that could help how we develop our prospects. Just as things have changed to improve our D/special teams that's been horrible since 2018. I'd say it's too soon to say these new hires wont provide positive results...

55 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

well, if we are trading for better players that are developed...then our development issues are much less impactful. We didn't develop Selanne. Kariya wanted someone to play with. We traded for Selanne. If Eichel comes here and is healthy...and wants someone to play with besides Zegras...we could trade for that.

Also, apparently the Bouchard hiring was also about how he develops players? Just from what I've been reading...maybe Dinneen didn't focus enough on that for BMs taste? But at least thigns HAVE changed in the recents months that could help how we develop our prospects. Just as things have changed to improve our D/special teams that's been horrible since 2018. I'd say it's too soon to say these new hires wont provide positive results...

It will to a certain extent but you aren't solving that problem and you likely aren't going to have a team that's going to actually compete for a Cup, imo. Plus, bringing in better developed players not only come with trade price but also are going to have higher salaries (i.e. Eichel's is 10 mil) which has obvious cap implications. So, you still need to do a very good job at drafting and developing your own players in the end.

As far as Selanne and Kariya, I think that the situation in 1996 is very different than today's. The Ducks had drafted a franchise player in Kariya who I do not doubt wanted to a high-end player to play along side with. The Ducks were also a very young franchise trying to make a name for itself and adding a name like Selanne certainly did that. As great as they were together, the Ducks only made the playoffs twice in six years during their time here and got out of the first round once. They were our McDavid/Draisaitl!

As far as positive results, I guess it depends on what the definition is for that. I don't think the Ducks can be as awful as they were last year. That's very hard to do and I expect them moving up a few sports and peaking somewhere in the 7-10 range of the overall standings even if they landed Eichel. I'd consider that a successful season since it's the first full developmental, NHL one for Zegras and Drysdale.

Chigago sends Duncan Keith to Edmonton for Caleb Jones. Keith was the best defenceman of the 2010s and I genuinely believe 2015 Keith might be the greatest performance by a d-man in my lifetime. This trade is still 4 years late though. It's a good move if the Oilers are looking for a hall of fame veteran to bring leadership to a gongshow locker room ala Montreal and Perry. This is the Oilers though, they probably believe they've finally acquired their top pairing star.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Chigago sends Duncan Keith to Edmonton for Caleb Jones. Keith was the best defenceman of the 2010s and I genuinely believe 2015 Keith might be the greatest performance by a d-man in my lifetime. This trade is still 4 years late though. It's a good move if the Oilers are looking for a hall of fame veteran to bring leadership to a gongshow locker room ala Montreal and Perry. This is the Oilers though, they probably believe they've finally acquired their top pairing star.

The FACT that Chicago got value and didn’t retain salary is insane 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Wow...Caleb Jones is Seth Jones' brother....if the hawks now are able to use this to entice Seth over to them....wow...this trade was pretty great for them...

And the Oilers, again, just...just...I don't even know the words lol

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 12:56 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's going to be Photo Finish where they end up in this Crazy Race we call Trades.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Wow...Caleb Jones is Seth Jones' brother....if the hawks now are able to use this to entice Seth over to them....wow...this trade was pretty great for them...

And the Oilers, again, just...just...I don't even know the words lol

i was thinking the same thing. That would be quite brilliant but it's already a brilliant trade. No retention and no real sweetener. 

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

i was thinking the same thing. That would be quite brilliant but it's already a brilliant trade. No retention and no real sweetener. 

Interesting this move reminds abit of Rob Niedermayer being on our Ducks and our team was able to get Scott Signed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

I’d do that Drouin deal in a heartbeat 

Weber (RHD) apparently may miss most of next season with injury. Manson to Montreal for Drouin making even more sense now for both teams. :ph34r:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Weber (RHD) apparently may miss most of next season with injury. Manson to Montreal for Drouin making even more sense now for both teams. :ph34r:

i dunno abut Drouin...like...i see the potential, and I understand the "media pressure" in montreal...but what about Tampa? He was someone Stevie Y wasn't too keen on it seems...I forget what exactly the story was in Tampa.

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

i dunno abut Drouin...like...i see the potential, and I understand the "media pressure" in montreal...but what about Tampa? He was someone Stevie Y wasn't too keen on it seems...I forget what exactly the story was in Tampa.

I said this earlier, but Drouin’s bad years are better than most of our guys good years. I think I’m a 2nd line roll he’s gonna be good. I’ll buy low on a guy who can score.