The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

23 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I said this earlier, but Drouin’s bad years are better than most of our guys good years. I think I’m a 2nd line roll he’s gonna be good. I’ll buy low on a guy who can score. 

Oh i don't mean about his production, I mean about his attitude and locker room presence. That seemed to be his issue in Tampa...if I remember correctly

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

i dunno abut Drouin...like...i see the potential, and I understand the "media pressure" in montreal...but what about Tampa? He was someone Stevie Y wasn't too keen on it seems...I forget what exactly the story was in Tampa.

If Drouin is traded, he probably ends up in Colorado. 

48 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh i don't mean about his production, I mean about his attitude and locker room presence. That seemed to be his issue in Tampa...if I remember correctly

Idk, he was kind of the first guy to start this train of players taking control of their careers. I think the culture around hockey kind of shamed it, but we have no idea what was going on behind closed doors and if he wasn’t happy I have no problem with him wanting out. He’s struggling with something and I hope he’s getting the help he needs. 

If Eichel has a limited NMC there is no way he comes to the Ducks. If he gets traded it will be to a team he believes can contend for a Cup now. Not  four seasons from now. Vegas have a better chance of landing Eichel.

7 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

It would not surprise me...His Buddy is with the Avs.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

If Eichel has a limited NMC there is no way he comes to the Ducks. If he gets traded it will be to a team he believes can contend for a Cup now. Not  four seasons from now. Vegas have a better chance of landing Eichel.

His NMC kicks in on July 1, 2022. He has no trade protection until then.

9 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

This would surprise me. Once they re-sign Makar and Landeskog, I’m not sure they have the cap space for Drouin’s $5.5M cap number. Drouin is also a high risk, high reward option. They already have a complete wild card in Kadri, and I would think they’d want a guy with more certainty. I fully expect Salic to add lower priced veteran players with playoff experience next season to help drag them over the hump. Maybe even a guy like Perry.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Jasoaks said:

Wow...Caleb Jones is Seth Jones' brother....if the hawks now are able to use this to entice Seth over to them....wow...this trade was pretty great for them...

And the Oilers, again, just...just...I don't even know the words lol

I wonder how much they regret this trade now that Suter is available. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This would surprise me. Once they re-sign Makar and Landeskog, I’m not sure they have the cap space for Drouin’s $5.5M cap number. Drouin is also a high risk, high reward option. They already have a complete wild card in Kadri, and I would think they’d want a guy with more certainty. I fully expect Salic to add lower priced veteran players with playoff experience next season to help drag them over the hump. Maybe even a guy like Perry.

The reports out there are that they are not even close to a deal with Landeskog. I thought they were just waiting until after the ED but it sounds more and more like he could walk.

6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Vegas would have to move a lot of salary to fit Eichel on their team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nieder said:

I’ve seen/heard it a few places that Suter is Mr. USA Hockey and that he is 99.9% likely to sign with a US-based team. Doubtful Edmonton would have had a legit shot at him anyway.

19 minutes ago, nieder said:

The reports out there are that they are not even close to a deal with Landeskog. I thought they were just waiting until after the ED but it sounds more and more like he could walk.

Vegas would have to move a lot of salary to fit Eichel on their team.

i can't tell if skog's agent is playing hardball or if there's some kind of team issue.  it feels more like Dehydrated Donkey Dungty contract negotiations.

8 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Are we interested in Landeskog if he is available? I think he is LW or is he center?

He’s due a huge raise. Not sure I want to give what I have to assume is around 8 million for someone not named Eichel. He’d be a great addition though. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

1 hour ago, nieder said:

that's what I thought, too! but...I guess there was more to it...

25 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Are we interested in Landeskog if he is available? I think he is LW or is he center?

I was stoked on him back in like 2013/14/15 around that time when the Avs weren't too good and we needed a legit top-LW for the Getz/Perry line and thought he would have been perfect...but not so much anymore. I don't think it would make sense for this Ducks team anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I love Landeskog's game, but he is going to get overpaid by someone AND he's going to get too many years.  His production has been inflated by playing next to MacKinnon and Rantanen.  Not that I think he's a passenger on that line, but I also think those two open up space for him that he otherwise wouldn't have.  And he plays a physical style - I can see the wear and tear starting to build up once he hits his 30s.  A long-term deal could be rough by year 4.  

I wouldn't complain if the Ducks decided to go after legitimate top line talent like Landeskog, but I do think it could backfire.

I have to think he's going to get offers around $9MM for 7 years. There are reports St. Louis want him and they have the cap space to go after him, especially if they are going to move Tarasenko.

Edited by nieder

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

i can't tell if skog's agent is playing hardball or if there's some kind of team issue.  it feels more like Dehydrated Donkey Dungty contract negotiations.

There's gonna be a team issue if Landy isn't re-signed to a reasonable contract. MacKinnon signed for well below market value back in 2016 for the exact reason that he wanted the team to be able to add and keep great players around him, and if Landy walks because he's demanding too much $$ MacKinnon is going to be livid. MacKinnon is also UFA in two years too, so this could have a ripple effect down the road. I also don't see how Colorado lets their captain go. I'm sure they are having some tough negotiations, but this HAS to get done for Colorado. Too much at stake for the long term health of that franchise if he walks.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

There's gonna be a team issue if Landy isn't re-signed to a reasonable contract. MacKinnon signed for well below market value back in 2016 for the exact reason that he wanted the team to be able to add and keep great players around him, and if Landy walks because he's demanding too much $$ MacKinnon is going to be livid. MacKinnon is also UFA in two years too, so this could have a ripple effect down the road. I also don't see how Colorado lets their captain go. I'm sure they are having some tough negotiations, but this HAS to get done for Colorado. Too much at stake for the long term health of that franchise if he walks.

That is a great point. That’s next level GM thinking.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Last I heard about Landeskog is that he and the Avs weren't in the same ballpark. Saad is also a UFA and Drouin's cap hit is lower than Saad's. Maybe Sakic takes a gamble and hopes MacKinnon and Drouin will click again. If that happens, then watch out.

46 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Last I heard about Landeskog is that he and the Avs weren't in the same ballpark. Saad is also a UFA and Drouin's cap hit is lower than Saad's. Maybe Sakic takes a gamble and hopes MacKinnon and Drouin will click again. If that happens, then watch out.

Saad's cap hit was actually $500K lower than Drouin's because Chicago retained $1M on the trade. Regardless, they could afford Saad last season because Makar's cap hit was only about $881K. Makar's cap hit next season may be north of $9M. They also don't have a starting goalie under contract, so I just can't see it for Colorado, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding Drouin. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Perfect time to offer sheet Makar.

$8.2 mil, 7 years.  Would cost the Ducks one 1st rounder, one 2nd rounder, one 3rd rounder.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think that gets matched immediately.  I expect the Ducks would have to offer north of $10 million to get Makar without Colorado matching, and even then, I'll bet they find a way to do it.

That's more the point. I don't see them letting him get away.  Get them to commit the $$. They may be trying to get something more team friendly worked out with him, with that 8th year. So less per year, an extra year of term, more overall $$. 8 years for $7.7 mil or something. If they pay him over $9.25 mil he will be the highest-paid player on the roster.

He'd have to sign the offer sheet, which he may not even be willing to do.  I'd still give it a whirl. If you're convinced they will match, then offer him $9.5 for 7 years.  It would cost more in draft picks if he signed it and they didn't match, but you would be getting a lot for your dough.  And COL would be getting into rough waters. They have 7 F's signed (Burakovsky, Kadri, and Nichuskin all UFA's after this season, MacKinnon, Donskoi and Compher UFA's after 2022/2023), 2 RFA forwards (Jost, Sherwood), 5 D signed and one RFA Dman (Makar), one G signed for one year (Francouz).

And the situation with Landeskog, which is why I brought it up in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nieder said:

I am guessing ALOT.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

14 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Perfect time to offer sheet Makar.

$8.2 mil, 7 years.  Would cost the Ducks one 1st rounder, one 2nd rounder, one 3rd rounder.

Better to make a move for Bowen Byram. Then draft Owen Power if available and we have ourselves a Bowen Power D pairing. 

I can't see the Avs not working out something with Landeskog. They do have to watch it though. Don't know what Landeskog is looking for but if it's north of 8 mil and Makar is looking for that same number... They have Rantanen locked up at 9.25. If MacKinnon wants to get paid in 2 years they're gonna have themselves a toronto situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Better to make a move for Bowen Byram. Then draft Owen Power if available and we have ourselves a Bowen Power D pairing. 

I can't see the Avs not working out something with Landeskog. They do have to watch it though. Don't know what Landeskog is looking for but if it's north of 8 mil and Makar is looking for that same number... They have Rantanen locked up at 9.25. If MacKinnon wants to get paid in 2 years they're gonna have themselves a toronto situation.

I think Colorado is hoping Landeskog will take a Lightning-esque  deal to run it back for cheap and stay there, but Landy probably realizes thay this is his last opportunity to set himself for the rest of his career. 

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think Colorado is hoping Landeskog will take a Lightning-esque  deal to run it back for cheap and stay there, but Landy probably realizes thay this is his last opportunity to set himself for the rest of his career. 

Now that the Avs have traded Graves, they are pretty much handcuffed.  Offer Makar $10.2 mil for 7 years, the Avs HAVE to match.

That would put their D at:

Makar - $10.2 mil for 7 more years

Johnson - $6 mil for 2 more years

Girard - $5 mil for 6 more years

Toews - $4.1 mil for three more years

Byram - RFA in two years

Add that to their forward group contracts and goalie contract, and they are looking strapped.

It's just business.  You try to take advantage of opponents on the ice, you can do it in the boardroom, too.

As soon as they match, offer Landeskog $7 mil for 7 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

Now that the Avs have traded Graves, they are pretty much handcuffed.  Offer Makar $10.2 mil for 7 years, the Avs HAVE to match.

That would put their D at:

Makar - $10.2 mil for 7 more years

Johnson - $6 mil for 2 more years

Girard - $5 mil for 6 more years

Toews - $4.1 mil for three more years

Byram - RFA in two years

Add that to their forward group contracts and goalie contract, and they are looking strapped.

It's just business.  You try to take advantage of opponents on the ice, you can do it in the boardroom, too.

As soon as they match, offer Landeskog $7 mil for 7 years.

It seems vindictive and id imagine not a good look for a GM to intentionally, actively make an offer sheet to make a team suffer with the cap. The last time I remember a GM doing that was Kevin Lowe for Dustin Penner. A very public feud with Burke and an offer sheet meant to hurt the Ducks -- which it did to an extent -- but also hurt the Oilers as Burkie smartly didn't match. But it was clearly vindictive and about the Pronger trade. I think a lot of Oilers fans look at Lowe as a GM who really set the stage for mismanaging the franchise. Although it seemed to just continue from GM to GM....

I mean, I don't know more recent offer sheets as well as the Penner one for obvious reasons, but they never seemed solely vindictive or meant to just hurt the team.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

It seems vindictive and id imagine not a good look for a GM to intentionally, actively make an offer sheet to make a team suffer with the cap. The last time I remember a GM doing that was Kevin Lowe for Dustin Penner. A very public feud with Burke and an offer sheet meant to hurt the Ducks -- which it did to an extent -- but also hurt the Oilers as Burkie smartly didn't match. But it was clearly vindictive and about the Pronger trade. I think a lot of Oilers fans look at Lowe as a GM who really set the stage for mismanaging the franchise. Although it seemed to just continue from GM to GM....

I mean, I don't know more recent offer sheets as well as the Penner one for obvious reasons, but they never seemed solely vindictive or meant to just hurt the team.

Bergevin doing an offer sheet for Aho in 2019  was a similar low risk / high reward gamble to what tommer is suggesting. I like the idea. I don’t think Bob would do it, but I like it.

Edited by dtsdlaw

55 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

The only difference is j think you can make an argument that Makar for 10.2 isn’t the worst thing the world. It won’t happen, but offer sheets  could be so fun 

Shea Weber in 2012.

I would like to see more offer sheets, it makes the offseason a bit more lively.

• Like 1

It's not vindictive at all.  It's just business. And you are not trying to make them suffer.  They have a VERY valuable and sought after asset, one that is not commonplace. You want that asset. You offer to pay for that asset.

If they want to keep the asset, they have to pay for it.  If it is above their budget, they are compensated.

Edited by tommer-1