The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

2 minutes ago, Fisix said:

by saying "maybe" was doing a ton of work, i was attempting to cast shade on Freddie and Grub.  "maybe" was doing yeoman's work to dredge them into the conversation at all, in my view, in a comparison with Gibby's market value.

that said, i do not understand the goalie market right now.  it feels like every team in-need is playing chicken with every other team in-need, and most of them are about to plunge over the cliff...

Or you could just be the Oilers and sign 40 year old Mike Smith to a 2 year deal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

I agree. Why would a team want to pay a lot of assets, even for a good goalie, when there are tons of good options in ufa without spending a bunch of assets. This is a bad market to trade a goalie in because teams will low ball based on the fact that the trade doesn't make or break the team. I'd hold onto Gibson given how things are going but I can also see a scenario now that it's come out that we tried to trade him. He's not going to be too happy about that. 

If you're a Stanley Cup favorite like Colorado or Carolina, or if you're a team with aspirations like Toronto or Philly, which UFA are you hitching your fortunes to? Martin Jones? Brayden Holtby? Do really want to rely on Freddy Andersen's busted knee to get you to the promised land? Colorado may figure out a way to get Grubauer signed, but there are enough other good teams that have a desperate need for goaltending that someone would pay a good price for Gibby. And don't let perfect be the enemy of the good when it comes to Gibby's trade value. If the Ducks don't take a good return now because they want the perfect return, there's a solid chance Gibby sucks again this coming season and his value ends up next summer below where it is now.

I still think we're at a cross roads with Gibson. Either put a better team in front of him now to take advantage of his peak years, or move him to create a better team in front of Dostal down the road. I don't see the same utility with goaltenders that I see with skaters. For example, a veteran guy like Rakell can be an important tool in helping a young player like a Comtois or a Zegras reach their potential, so there's a certain amount of utility to keeping Rakell. But there's no utility to keeping a good goaltender if the team isn't trying to be good. Having Gibby stand on his head doesn't help the D or forwards get better at their jobs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fisix said:

by saying "maybe" was doing a ton of work, i was attempting to cast shade on Freddie and Grub.  "maybe" was doing yeoman's work to dredge them into the conversation at all, in my view, in a comparison with Gibby's market value.

that said, i do not understand the goalie market right now.  it feels like every team in-need is playing chicken with every other team in-need, and most of them are about to plunge over the cliff...

Grubauer just finished 3rd in the Vezina voting, so I don't think that "maybe" is working as hard as you think. :P 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you're a Stanley Cup favorite like Colorado or Carolina, or if you're a team with aspirations like Toronto or Philly, which UFA are you hitching your fortunes to?

This could be the right time to trade Gibby to Toronto if Nylander is coming back.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Seeing MAF traded for a bag of pucks today and some veterans like Holtby and Jones being bought out, along with all of the available UFA goalies, it makes me think that the better move this summer would have been to trade Gibby for assets/scoring and bring in a short term veteran to split the net with Stolarz until Dostal is ready. Gibby just turned 28, and if the plan is to not significantly improve the team this summer through trades and UFA, what's the point of keeping him?

100%

13 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

This could be the right time to trade Gibby to Toronto if Nylander is coming back.

Nylander is 25. If we're moving Gibby, it means that this team doesn't care about winning for the next few seasons. I think you have to look for a younger player in return in that instance. Basically a top prospect. Connor McMichael or Hendrix Lapierre from Washington. Robertson or Amirov from Toronto. Suzuki or Jarvis from Carolina.

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nylander is 25. If we're moving Gibby, it means that this team doesn't care about winning for the next few seasons. I think you have to look for a younger player in return in that instance. Basically a top prospect. Connor McMichael or Hendrix Lapierre from Washington. Robertson or Amirov from Toronto. Suzuki or Jarvis from Carolina.

yeah im all for that carolina trade (with a pick or 2, too....) Jarvis is a good get and if we could Suzuki....maybe we can eventually lure Nick Suzuki too ;) 

Btw Bernier and Carolina sound like they aren’t going to find a deal. Carolina’s about to be very desperate for a goaltender 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you're a Stanley Cup favorite like Colorado or Carolina, or if you're a team with aspirations like Toronto or Philly, which UFA are you hitching your fortunes to? Martin Jones? Brayden Holtby? Do really want to rely on Freddy Andersen's busted knee to get you to the promised land? Colorado may figure out a way to get Grubauer signed, but there are enough other good teams that have a desperate need for goaltending that someone would pay a good price for Gibby. And don't let perfect be the enemy of the good when it comes to Gibby's trade value. If the Ducks don't take a good return now because they want the perfect return, there's a solid chance Gibby sucks again this coming season and his value ends up next summer below where it is now.

I still think we're at a cross roads with Gibson. Either put a better team in front of him now to take advantage of his peak years, or move him to create a better team in front of Dostal down the road. I don't see the same utility with goaltenders that I see with skaters. For example, a veteran guy like Rakell can be an important tool in helping a young player like a Comtois or a Zegras reach their potential, so there's a certain amount of utility to keeping Rakell. But there's no utility to keeping a good goaltender if the team isn't trying to be good. Having Gibby stand on his head doesn't help the D or forwards get better at their jobs.

I can see those scenarios play out the way you mentioned or a team says the difference between goalie A and Gibson is x amount, what is that worth right now though? If we get a haul for Gibson, that's great but I just have a hard time seeing that with the market being flooded with decent to good goaltenders. Goalies never fetch returns as good as star players anyway, not usually I think. 

Though I was against trading Gibson earlier this year, I'd be ok with it now. As long as we find someone decent enough to plug the hole until Dostal is ready. Maybe that's Stolarz. But if we're going to trade Gibby we better get a really good return otherwise I think we should keep him if the return isn't that great. 

5pm PST on July 27, 2021. It's been 19 days since the Lightning hoisted the Cup and we've been through an expansion draft and an entry draft, and the Ducks are still one of only 5 teams (Canadiens, Bruins, Senators, Wild, and Ducks) to have not made a single trade of a player on or off their NHL roster. How does that happen when you finish with the second worst record in the NHL?!?!?

Man, watching the paint dry on the Ducks' offseason plans sure is boring. 

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This group is ran out but Murray believing that this group can still be competitive is what will eventually cost him his job and set the franchise back in the process. 

I'm not because then our 2022 and 2023 picks would come in play and giving those up is an absolute no-go for me. If Gibson gets traded then I don't think that jives well with bringing in Eichel (even if you don't trade him to Buffalo) if the goal is to be competitive next season. The Ducks would still need top-tier goaltending and giving up Gibson, would be a clear rebuild/tank move, imo but apparently the Murray tried to move him at last year's deadline. So, once again, I have no idea what his game plan is lol

Game plan? Game plan? There’s no game plan in this hockey team…

BM: “Our team understands that they under performed last season but I have told the veterans on this team that they are not going to be around if they don’t get back to ducks hockey. I told them! I believe in this hockey club…”

maybe this will provide you with some comfort while we sit back and enjoy the paint…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

BM: “Our team understands that they under performed last season but I have told the veterans on this team that they are not going to be around if they don’t get back to ducks hockey. I told them! I believe in this hockey club…”

maybe this will provide you with some comfort while we sit back and enjoy the paint…

You can't touch paint while it's still drying, otherwise you gotta start over.... just wait till it dries completely, it'll be Fantastic!😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Game plan? Game plan? There’s no game plan in this hockey team…

man, i was a big "give bob till after the ED to see what's up" 'cause the ED was definitely screwing things up. But we are after that now...and of course I'm all for waiting to see what team we have in October and how they look before really passing judgement. But water droplets are filling up the tub of my patience for BM and it's getting awfully close to the spilling over....

The new assistants are a good START. Hearing he's open to trading Gibson and that Manson is more available now than past seasons is also encouraging but doesn't mean anything if nothing comes from it. But also good to see that we haven't gotten Eichel (yet) as he doesn't seem like he wants to overpay, which Im sure if he did want to, we'd have him by now.

I wonder how much a single piece (like Getzlaf) triggers other moves?  I.e., if Getz goes maybe Rico stays, Gibby becomes the trade piece instead, etc, etc.

Being in on the Eichel discussion probably freezes us up a bit, too.

24 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I wonder how much a single piece (like Getzlaf) triggers other moves?  I.e., if Getz goes maybe Rico stays, Gibby becomes the trade piece instead, etc, etc.

Being in on the Eichel discussion probably freezes us up a bit, too.

I had the opposite in mind. I was actually wondering how much other moves would trigger a Getzlaf extension. I don't think he comes back to the same team. He comes back if there are improvements and a chance to be better.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

I had the opposite in mind. I was actually wondering how much other moves would trigger a Getzlaf extension. I don't think he comes back to the same team. He comes back if there are improvements and a chance to be better.

Schrodinger's negotiation... 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ovenchicken just got a new 5 year/45M deal. Basically the same money as his old deal. If Getz is wanting relatively the same money as his old deal then I can see why he and the Ducks are far apart.

Edited by perry_mvp

3 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Ovenchicken just got a new 5 year/45M deal. Basically the same money as his old deal. If Getz is wanting relatively the same money as his old deal then I can see why he and the Ducks are far apart.

Getz isn’t scoring 50 or 40 or 30 even for that matter. Ovie still has that

• Like 1

Vegas clearing Fleury's cap hit and now might be in the running for Eichel. They have their 2022 first and Krebs along with some decent players that they can shed for cap help (Smith, Tuch). Oh man, if they pull that off...

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

13 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Vegas clearing Fleury's cap hit and now might be in the running for Eichel. They have their 2022 first and Krebs along with some decent players that they can shed for cap help (Smith, Tuch). Oh man, if they pull that off...

We can provide a better package than Vegas imo. 
Rakell/Henrique 

Perrault 

Mahura 

2022 1st round pick 

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

We can provide a better package than Vegas imo
Rakell/Henrique 

Perrault 

Mahura 

2022 1st round pick 

We can, but we shouldn't lol. To paraphrase Dr. Malcom says in Jurassic Park: "Murray was so preoccupied with whether he could, he didn't stop to think if he should"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BombaysTripleDeke said:

We can, but we shouldn't lol. To paraphrase Dr. Malcom says in Jurassic Park: "Murray was so preoccupied with whether he could, he didn't stop to think if he should"

I’m really not sure what your disdain is for Eichel. I think the Ducks absolutely should. 
Having 
Eichel 

Zegras

Mctavish down the middle puts this team into a really good spot. And you’re not giving anything up out of your  long term plans outside of Perrault. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m really not sure what your disdain is for Eichel. I think the Ducks absolutely should. 
Having 
Eichel 

Zegras

Mctavish down the middle puts this team into a really good spot. And you’re not giving anything up out of your  long term plans outside of Perrault. 

You forgot about the Shane Wright wet dream. Can’t give that up, right?

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sure, but you’re getting a franchise center in return. Not like the NHL would ever give us 1st overal anyway. And you can always trade and get another first. 

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn’t give up Perreault in an Eichel trade. Not only am I high on him, but he’s exactly the kind of player we need to play with our skilled centers. Him and Pastujov are the only players in our entire system that can snipe, and Pastujov just got drafted and hasn’t proved anything like Perreault has. It makes way more sense to give up a good center prospect in Groulx in an Eichel trade. 

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Having 
Eichel 

Zegras

I have no disdain for Eichel at all. He's a great player but I've been consistently on the record that Ducks are not in a position to make a trade like this in the early stages of a rebuild. If two of the worst teams in the NHL make a blockbuster trade like this, the team that thinks it can make them good again and fix it's deficiencies, is going to lose out imo. The Ducks are all but certain to trade their second best goal scorer in Henrique also, which would just make the roster for Eichel even worse. Rakell may be gone as well either via trade or free agency.

1 minute ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sure, but you’re getting a franchise center in return. Not like the NHL would ever give us 1st overal anyway. And you can always trade and get another first. 

McDavid is the best player in the world and the Oilers are nowhere close to a Cup but are still considerably better than the Ducks. They also have Drasaitl. Put Eichel on the Ducks with this roster and even a legit scorer and what's their ceiling? The Ducks are coming off three straight horrible seasons with the last one being the crowning the jewel. Let's wait before we are better developed and situated before we hit the NOS on roster upgrades.

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nope! You have a better chance at winning the Wright sweepstakes than you do the Ducks being contenders with Eichel on the team lol. 

No one is saying Eichel makes this team a contender, the whole point is you add your franchise center and build around him, your example of McDavid is almost saying that McDavid is the problem in Edmonton. The problem is they haven’t drafted well, haven’t traded well, and haven’t signed well.