The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

He's actually a LW. I think the Oilers experimented with him at center back in the day, but he's now even less of a center than Rakell is.

Oh that's right. I keep thinking he's a center. Never mind then lol

9 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Getzlaf is on the downside of his career and we really need a real top line center. At this point, I'm not sure we really have that guy in our system. Hall seems to be available. Perhaps we can trade for him? I'd think a first, kase,  and Richie (perhaps more, I'm not sure) could potentially land us Hall. Aside from Terry, Grant and Guhle getting raises all the other guys aren't going to command much/ will leave for free agency. Even with Perry's cap hit going up significantly, we should have enough space to do this. After next season the hit from Perry will go down and Getz contract is also up. In the meantime, it would give us crazy center depth and perhaps a run at the cup. 

Or we do nothing and try to get that top center with another high pick at the end of the year! It's far cheaper this way. 😂

We should pick early, so please not trade our first. It would be a bad move. 

trade some players for a 1-2 rounder ok. I would trade some pieces because the Seattle Draft and because of this its the right time to rebuild!

Edited by Spike1981

14 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Getzlaf is on the downside of his career and we really need a real top line center. At this point, I'm not sure we really have that guy in our system. Hall seems to be available. Perhaps we can trade for him? I'd think a first, kase,  and Richie (perhaps more, I'm not sure) could potentially land us Hall. Aside from Terry, Grant and Guhle getting raises all the other guys aren't going to command much/ will leave for free agency. Even with Perry's cap hit going up significantly, we should have enough space to do this. After next season the hit from Perry will go down and Getz contract is also up. In the meantime, it would give us crazy center depth and perhaps a run at the cup. 

Or we do nothing and try to get that top center with another high pick at the end of the year! It's far cheaper this way. 😂

We could definitely use Hall eventhough he's not a center. But our 1st should be untouchable. I'd consider it if it's a sign and trade but imagine giving up our 1st and Kase and Hall walks after this season. That'd be brutal. It's not like we're contending for The Cup this season.

I wonder what's going on with Turris. He had a good WC and a pretty solid start in nashville. His contract is horrendous but with some serious retention I'd consider it. His value is at an all time low, he's not old and the talent is there. A change of scenery and a chance to play is probably all he needs. It would give us more center depth, a chance to move Henrique to wing and some more wiggle room for Steel who might use some more time in San Diego.

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

We could definitely use Hall eventhough he's not a center. But our 1st should be untouchable. I'd consider it if it's a sign and trade but imagine giving up our 1st and Kase and Hall walks after this season. That'd be brutal. It's not like we're contending for The Cup this season.

I wonder what's going on with Turris. He had a good WC and a pretty solid start in nashville. His contract is horrendous but with some serious retention I'd consider it. His value is at an all time low, he's not old and the talent is there. A change of scenery and a chance to play is probably all he needs. It would give us more center depth, a chance to move Henrique to wing and some more wiggle room for Steel who might use some more time in San Diego.

Hall is 28, has a down season, will be UFA and demand at least $8 mil per season for 7 years. Turris is 30, has 4.5 years left on his huge contract and has been a healthy scratch for Nashville for multiple games. THE ONLY WAY I can see them coming here if we move a big contract in the opposite direction (Fowler).

12 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

We should pick early, so please not trade our first. It would be a bad move. 

trade some players for a 1-2 rounder ok. I would trade some pieces because the Seattle Draft and because of this its the right time to rebuild!

Agreed, lets hold on to that first rounder. I'd rather trade anyone with an expiring contract at the deadline (Grant, Shaw, Holzer, Del Zotto, Miller could be depth pieces for playoff bound teams) and try to suck for the rest of the season and get a higher pick.

If GMBM is feeling the urge to trade for a 28-year-old New Jersey Devil on an expiring contract, he should just bring back Sami Vatanen to fix our ailing power play. I don't think a 1st round pick would be required to pull that trade off.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, nieder said:

Guhle at least shows flashes of genuine top-4 ability. Holzer is a 6/7 guy who is not going to get any better. I'd rather just play Guhle and have him continue to develop.

Guhle’s flashes have been few and far between lately. He looked particularly bad against LA although he was paired with Holzer. He’s got a ways to go if he’s going to be a top-4 quality defender.

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Hall is 28, has a down season, will be UFA and demand at least $8 mil per season for 7 years. Turris is 30, has 4.5 years left on his huge contract and has been a healthy scratch for Nashville for multiple games. THE ONLY WAY I can see them coming here if we move a big contract in the opposite direction (Fowler).

Hall is going to want at least Panarin money (in the $11 mil range). There’s no rational reason to trade for him unless you think he’s the missing piece to Ducks cup run. Dtsdlaw is right that the Devil to trade for would be Vatanen but even that doesn’t make sense for the Ducks to do given the Gudbranson trade and his expiring contract. Maybe another Henrique swap lol! 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Guhle’s flashes have been few and far between lately. He looked particularly bad against LA although he was paired with Holzer. He’s got a ways to go if he’s going to be a top-4 quality defender.

Hall is going to want at least Panarin money (in the $11 mil range). There’s no rational reason to trade for him unless you think he’s the missing piece to Ducks cup run. Dtsdlaw is right that the Devil to trade for would be Vatanen but even that doesn’t make sense for the Ducks to do given the Gudbranson trade and his expiring contract. Maybe another Henrique swap lol! 

My presumption would be that he would re-sign in Anaheim. He was popular in the locker room here, he liked SoCal, and the Ducks were his favorite team since childhood. Vatanen could easily become Beauchmin part deux, if GMBM was interested.

I also don't think the Gudbranson trade precludes a Sami return. Gudbranson doesn't PP, and the right point on the PP is a glaring hole right now. And who here wouldn't prefer Gudbranson locking down that 3rd pairing with Guhle/Mahura instead of Holzer/MDZ? Anybody? Fowler had his only all-star selection when he was paired with Vatanen (before RC sucked the fun out of hockey for both of them), and Sami's game is actually tailor-made for the zone defense and up-tempo transition schemes that HCDE is trying to implement. Getting Vatanen back actually makes a TON of sense IMO.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

My presumption would be that he would re-sign in Anaheim. He was popular in the locker room here, he liked SoCal, and the Ducks were his favorite team since childhood. Vatanen could easily become Beauchmin part deux, if GMBM was interested.

I also don't think the Gudbranson trade precludes a Sami return. Gudbranson doesn't PP, and the right point on the PP is a glaring hole right now. And who here wouldn't prefer Gudbranson locking down that 3rd pairing with Guhle/Mahura instead of Holzer/MDZ? Anybody? Fowler had his only all-star selection when he was paired with Vatanen (before RC sucked the fun out of hockey for both of them), and Sami's game is actually tailor-made for the zone defense and up-tempo transition schemes that HCDE is trying to implement. Getting Vatanen back actually makes a TON of sense IMO.

I would love to bring Vats back. He's probably going to be available at UFA though so I would wait until then. 

I'm guessing he is going to want a NTC. Lol.

• Like 1

I was reading the athletic article about Hall. Don't worry, he's not going to even consider coming here lol. He squirted water at then Edmonton HCDE and he wasn't too happy about that. If any devils player has a chance to come here it's vats. I'd definitely want him to come back!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I agree with nieder that waiting until the offseason when he’s a UFA would make the most sense if the team wanted Vats back. While the Ducks don’t have any RFA’s due significant money, they still need to sign Guhle and Terry while also filling two more D, 3 forward and a back-up goalie spot. If the cap goes up say, 3 mil then would have just under 14 mil in space. I don’t see ownership spending on Vats without moving out another contract even if they can make  it all work with Kesler on LTIR.

14 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I was reading the athletic article about Hall. Don't worry, he's not going to even consider coming here lol. He squirted water at then Edmonton HCDE and he wasn't too happy about that. If any devils player has a chance to come here it's vats. I'd definitely want him to come back!

Yea, I wasn’t expecting the article to end with a cringe-worthy video of the water bottle incident. It wouldn’t be smart going forward if we are trying to build up for the next couple years. One thing I didn’t agree with was how they said Hall was past his prime. The guy is 2 years removed from a Heart Trophy. It would be a nice add at face value, but the history between HCDE and the money , it’s a no go. I’m all in for Vats, or Shayne Ghostisbere.

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree with nieder that waiting until the offseason when he’s a UFA would make the most sense if the team wanted Vats back. While the Ducks don’t have any RFA’s due significant money, they still need to sign Guhle and Terry while also filling two more D, 3 forward and a back-up goalie spot. If the cap goes up say, 3 mil then would have just under 14 mil in space. I don’t see ownership spending on Vats without moving out another contract even if they can make  it all work with Kesler on LTIR.

There's a negative with both approaches. If they want him during the season, they'll have to give up a decent asset in a trade. If they want to sign him in free agency, they will have to out-bid other teams for his services, which would likely mean too much money, too many years, or an NTC. Or all three. Depending on the asset(s), I'd probably lean towards the trade, because I think he'd re-sign for a more team-friendly deal if he isn't simultaneously being wooed by other teams. So something like Ritchie + 2nd would be fine with me, as long as the extension was already agreed to in principle at the time of the trade.

3 hours ago, JustaDucksFan said:

I say bring back Vatanen via trade before the summer, re-sign Gudbranson, and maybe shop for a scorer in the off=season.

I hope not. He still has one more year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and shoot ourselves in the foot once more. Wait until the season is underway next year and see what we got then. Otherwise, we might sign him then regret the contract, again. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind having Vatanen back. Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Vatanen, Gudbransson, Guhle & Mahura seems pretty good to me. Some good puck movers, Manson & Guds bring a physical element and should Vatanen come back we may have an upgrade on our PP (if his shoulder holds up).

21 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I hope not. He still has one more year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and shoot ourselves in the foot once more. Wait until the season is underway next year and see what we got then. Otherwise, we might sign him then regret the contract, again. 

You are right on signing Gbrad...didn't realize he had one more year. I like what he is showing so far, I hope he continues playing well.................he was a #3 Draft pick, so I would assume he knows what he's doing.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:58 PM, g20topdogg said:

With the expansion draft looming, I'd also like to wait on that extension. If he continues to play well with Fowler, I'd hope that GMBM will agree to a extension with him in principle during next season, but then wait until after the ED to sign him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if he's signed to an extension before the expansion draft then he would need protection, whereas if he is unsigned then he wouldn't. If unsigned, Seattle could still select him, but they'd probably have less incentive to do so if he wasn't already inked to a contract.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

With the expansion draft looming, I'd also like to wait on that extension. If he continues to play well with Fowler, I'd hope that GMBM will agree to a extension with him in principle during next season, but then wait until after the ED to sign him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if he's signed to an extension before the expansion draft then he would need protection, whereas if he is unsigned then he wouldn't. If unsigned, Seattle could still select him, but they'd probably have less incentive to do so if he wasn't already inked to a contract.

You’re right, if he’s extended prior to the ED then he’s eligible to be selected. I believe that Thornton waited until after the Vegas ED to re-sign with SJ so that he wouldn’t take up a protection slot. If Gudbranson is unsigned, then he’d be a UFA and Seattle can just offer him a contract and wouldn’t be selecting him from Anaheim. Unless he really steps up his game, I don’t see the Ducks using up a slot to protect a 3rd pairing defender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

You’re right, if he’s extended prior to the ED then he’s eligible to be selected. I believe that Thornton waited until after the Vegas ED to re-sign with SJ so that he wouldn’t take up a protection slot. If Gudbranson is unsigned, then he’d be a UFA and Seattle can just offer him a contract and wouldn’t be selecting him from Anaheim. Unless he really steps up his game, I don’t see the Ducks using up a slot to protect a 3rd pairing defender.

The expansion rules were fairly prohibitive for Vegas in terms of signing UFAs that first season because they were required to take an ED eligible player from every team (30 teams) and they also ended up acquiring a number of players in trades (i.e. Theo, Tuch, Reilly Smith, Grabovski, Clarkson, etc.), some of whom made the opening night roster. Since the ED-eligible list is basically made up entirely of NHL-caliber players, Vegas' roster was pretty full after the draft, so when UFA opened they were pretty much only signing players for their minor league team. I'd expect it to be a pretty similar situation for Seattle in 2021. Also, I believe the rules were set up so that Vegas could select a UFA in the ED, and that player would then count as the player taken from the last team he was under contract with. So in theory, Seattle could select Gudbranson with their pick from the Ducks, but it would seem odd to do that unless they already knew they could get a favorable deal done with him on July 1st. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The expansion rules were fairly prohibitive for Vegas in terms of signing UFAs that first season because they were required to take an ED eligible player from every team (30 teams) and they also ended up acquiring a number of players in trades (i.e. Theo, Tuch, Reilly Smith, Grabovski, Clarkson, etc.), some of whom made the opening night roster. Since the ED-eligible list is basically made up entirely of NHL-caliber players, Vegas' roster was pretty full after the draft, so when UFA opened they were pretty much only signing players for their minor league team. I'd expect it to be a pretty similar situation for Seattle in 2021. Also, I believe the rules were set up so that Vegas could select a UFA in the ED, and that player would then count as the player taken from the last team he was under contract with. So in theory, Seattle could select Gudbranson with their pick from the Ducks, but it would seem odd to do that unless they already knew they could get a favorable deal done with him on July 1st. 

Ahhh, good point. I thought that the player selected had to be under contract for the expansion season. Yeah, I don’t see why an expansion team would select a UFA either unless they were going to sign them. Seems like quite a risk

Lias Andersson has requested a trade from the Rangers. Former #7 pick in 2017. He hasn’t shown much yet, but he’s only 21 and still has time to find his way at the NHL level. Bet he’d be cheap, and since he’s forcing their hand I’m sure the Rags preference would be to send him West to a non contender.

Would you?

21 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lias Andersson has requested a trade from the Rangers. Former #7 pick in 2017. He hasn’t shown much yet, but he’s only 21 and still has time to find his way at the NHL level. Bet he’d be cheap, and since he’s forcing their hand I’m sure the Rags preference would be to send him West to a non contender.

Would you?

I would. Why not take a chance, basically add a top 10 pick to the team, add some more youth. If he can be had for cheap, why not? Although BM never makes these kinds of moves it seems. 

Also, Swedenheim.

Edited by Sexlaf15
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Would you?

He's struggling to score at the AHL level.

Seems like another player in the mold of Steel/Comtois/Terry/Sprong/Jones. Guys that might hopefully develop into mid-range contributors but will likely never be top end scorers.

Maybe Andersson improves with a change of scenery but he's been pretty disappointing so far.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nieder said:

Seems like another player in the mold of Steel/Comtois/Terry/Sprong/Jones. Guys that might hopefully develop into mid-range contributors but will likely never be top end scorers.

Maybe Andersson improves with a change of scenery but he's been pretty disappointing so far.

Sure, I'd kick the tires on him but I don't see Andresson being moved anytime soon. Seems like he's taking the Puljujarvi route but also has a year left on his ELC and the Rangers would still own his rights. So, I'd bet that the Rangers will simply wait to see what Puljuarvi's trade value ultimately is before moving Andersson. I'd be surprised if another team made a good enough offer that the Rangers would accept at this point with his value being so low. This quite a blow to the Rangers rebuild, especially with him expected to be a key part of it as a 7th overall pick. Can you imagine these boards if Steel, Jones, or Terry were selected that high lol? Steel has actually been a much more productive player so far at both levels.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Sounds like he may be sulking the same way Sprong was when he didn't make the big club's roster to start the season, which would account for Andersson's current lack of production. He was more productive last season when he had the lower expectations of playing in the AHL.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sure, I'd kick the tires on him but I don't see Andresson being moved anytime soon. Seems like he's taking the Puljujarvi route but also has a year left on his ELC and the Rangers would still own his rights. So, I'd bet that the Rangers will simply wait to see what Puljuarvi's trade value ultimately is before moving Andersson. I'd be surprised if another team made a good enough offer that the Rangers would accept at this point with his value being so low. This quite a blow to the Rangers rebuild, especially with him expected to be a key part of it as a 7th overall pick. Can you imagine these boards if Steel, Jones, or Terry were selected that high lol? Steel has actually been a much more productive player so far at both levels.

To be fair, Steel is a bit older (he's from the draft class ahead of Andersson) and he didn't play his whole life on the European ice surface prior to coming over to play the "A". And Steel's NHL production from this season is a totally unfair comparison. Steel started the season with Silfverberg and Rakell as his wingers and he's gotten plenty of PP time - in fact, Steel averages 1:50 of PP TOI per game, compared to Andersson who has played a total of 55 seconds this season on the PP - while Andersson was basically stapled to the Rangers 4th line with Haley (barely a hockey player) and Brendan Smith (a converted D-man) as his wingers because he's stuck behind Zibanejad, Strome and Chytil on the Rangers Center depth chart.

I'm not saying Andersson is the next McDavid or anything, but I'd totally take a flier on him. Especially if he could be had for some of our redundant pieces. Like maybe we could send Devin Shore and a 3rd to New York for him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sounds like he may be sulking the same way Sprong was when he didn't make the big club's roster to start the season, which would account for Andersson's current lack of production. He was more productive last season when he had the lower expectations of playing in the AHL.

To be fair, Steel is a bit older (he's from the draft class ahead of Andersson) and he didn't play his whole life on the European ice surface prior to coming over to play the "A". And Steel's NHL production from this season is a totally unfair comparison. Steel started the season with Silfverberg and Rakell as his wingers and he's gotten plenty of PP time - in fact, Steel averages 1:50 of PP TOI per game, compared to Andersson who has played a total of 55 seconds this season on the PP - while Andersson was basically stapled to the Rangers 4th line with Haley (barely a hockey player) and Brendan Smith (a converted D-man) as his wingers because he's stuck behind Zibanejad, Strome and Chytil on the Rangers Center depth chart.

I'm not saying Andersson is the next McDavid or anything, but I'd totally take a flier on him. Especially if he could be had for some of our redundant pieces. Like maybe we could send Devin Shore and a 3rd to New York for him. 

If Andersson could be had for that price or even slightly more then I would absolutely do it but I don't think that the Rangers would entertain an offer like that. At least not now anyway if they are going to trade him. If he couldn't crack a rebuilding Rangers team as the 7th overall pick from two years ago then it's a bit of a red flag. Especially when Chytil who was drafted 21st overall that same year seems to have surpassed him. You think he'd be getting decent opportunities and NHL minutes right now the way Steel is. It's weird to think that the Rangers would be misusing and mismanaging him to create the a situation where he wants out. If he has a real attitude problem, then I don't see Murray as the type of GM to actively try and trade for him.

I agree that the comparison aren't apples to apples with Steel but Andersson's draft stock and expectations were and still are much higher, even accounting for him coming out of Europe. My broader point was seeing people ripping into a young guy likeSteel for not living up to their expectations as the 30th overall pick. Imagine what their reactions would be if he was the 7th overall pick and on top of it, was trying to force his way out of town. Steel is at least on his expected development trajectory while Andersson currently isn't. 

IF our Ducks are to make Trade it must be 2 things...1.Benefit the Youth in Developing them and 2.Dymanic Player who Ducks can rally around perhaps a Big Name. Ducks have assets but will they choose between "Developing within" or Roster Shakeup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck