The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

32 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Sorry for the paywall link, but this is a good summary of my frustration with Murray and the Ducks this offseason (and going back a couple offseasons): https://theathletic.com/2755412/2021/08/06/stephens-with-their-lack-of-offseason-moves-and-clear-communication-what-message-are-the-ducks-sending-to-fans/

Can you imagine if this was a Canadian market or another big market team? The whole team should be pointing at Murray and wondering what he’s doing. Such a catastrophic failure to rebuild this team. If he doesn’t get Eichel and doesn’t nothing he should be fired on the spot. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Can you imagine if this was a Canadian market or another big market team? The whole team should be pointing at Murray and wondering what he’s doing. Such a catastrophic failure to rebuild this team. If he doesn’t get Eichel and doesn’t nothing he should be fired on the spot. 

So assuming we don’t get Eichel, we have 6 slots to fill, and 3 most likely will be from trade or free agent signings, and 3 from the kids. What do we do then? Who should we go after?

Lundestrom and Steel both sign their QOs for $875K. 

This team has so much cap space….

Edit: Looks like both are 2-way contracts too. Now THAT is surprising.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

They had to agree to their qualifying offers because they had no means of negotiating better deals ever since Bob dropped his only phone in the toilet a month ago.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

You know, I have been reading this message board for a decade now and every off season the big question is "what will Murray do"? There are always the optimistic posts of "this is the off season Murray finally does something". And just about every off season, Ducks fans end up disappointed, scratching their heads as to why other teams get better while Murray eventually does a sweaty interview with a crackling voice explaining why he couldn't get things done. Then the board goes dead up until training camp and we are reminded that the only "big signing" was for a washed up defenseman or a 4th line goon. So, as of now, I haven't seen any flying pigs which leads me to believe that there will be no trade for Eichel (at least to Anaheim) and Barstool Bob will explain again that the price was too high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

You know, I have been reading this message board for a decade now and every off season the big question is "what will Murray do"? There are always the optimistic posts of "this is the off season Murray finally does something". And just about every off season, Ducks fans end up disappointed, scratching their heads as to why other teams get better while Murray eventually does a sweaty interview with a crackling voice explaining why he couldn't get things done. Then the board goes dead up until training camp and we are reminded that the only "big signing" was for a washed up defenseman or a 4th line goon. So, as of now, I haven't seen any flying pigs which leads me to believe that there will be no trade for Eichel (at least to Anaheim) and Barstool Bob will explain again that the price was too high.

for the most part...he's been right about prices being too high and we were good to not go for it. As far as trades that we sort of know he said he was almost a part of. If we are getting Eichel by giving up Drys or Z...yes, that price is too high. I just am getting sick of these "trade fell through last minute" bs that seems to be happening more with Bob.

14 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

for the most part...he's been right about prices being too high and we were good to not go for it. As far as trades that we sort of know he said he was almost a part of. If we are getting Eichel by giving up Drys or Z...yes, that price is too high. I just am getting sick of these "trade fell through last minute" bs that seems to be happening more with Bob.

But at some point you have to do something. Everyone is overpaying and bringing assists in. If Murray never does something like that, he will always be behind the curve. Unfortunately you have to make dumb moves to be better sometimes….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah but other teams have won a Cup paying the high price and Ducks fans just reminisce about 2007. If it's the right player, such as an established franchise #1 C who's still young then do you say no and just hope Zegras is good? It's too bad that last season was short and Zegras didn't get many games. That would answer the question if he's the future or just another cog in the machine. This is just one of those points in the Ducks history where we look back in 5 years and say it was worth it or give a big facepalm because the team that did get Eichel won a Cup.

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

The only thing that is getting fired is the BBQ grill.

11 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

I was more looking at that entire group and, imo, seeing 0 guys who are difference-makers.  We are hoping that  kids like Zegras and Drysdale and McTavish and maybe even Perreault will be that, and they may, but looking at those "older" guys, we thought the same thing.  And non of them have been.  They haven't drafted legit impact guys - and held onto them (Theo and Wild Bill) since 2005 - one guy - and 2003 - two guys.  That's it.

Don't bring up Gibson's name, because he is not a difference-maker.  He doesn't put this team on his back and drag them to greatness.

Those really high draft picks, Top 10 - Lindholm, Ritchie, Zegras, Drysdale, McTavish - will any of them be difference-makers?  Right now we know about Lindholm and Ritchie. 0 for 2.  We are hoping on the next three.  What in the Ducks' history gives us that hope? Getzlaf, Perry, Kariya.  That's about it.

He is quite possibly the only legitimate star on this team though. He's going to single handedly drag a last place team to the playoffs? He's probably the main reason we haven't ended up 31st the last three to four years. Our goals for keeps dropping like a brick. The defense has sucked worse every year since Yawney left. And to top it all off our pp got sucked into a black hole. And you're suggesting we skip all that and pretend that Gibson is garbage? 

Easily 3/4 of the league would probably replace their starting goaltender with Gibson if they had the chance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

What are you doing Edmonton????

What they always do. Overpay and frak up the rest of the league in the process. 

56 minutes ago, Fisix said:

What they always do. Overpay and frak up the rest of the league in the process. 

That´s crazy. They´re becoming the edmonton oil leaves. Although I´d rather have my money tied up in  McDavid, Draisaitl & Nurse than in Matthews, Tavares & Marner that´s still a lot. 

There´s not a lot of players I´d trade Gibson for but Draisaitl sure is one of them. A trade involving those 2 would actually make sense for both teams. Too bad the oilers wouldn´t think about it. 

Lindholm is not in a position to ask for that kind of money. I think he´s a better D man than nurse but points matter and nurse wins in that department. Lindholm also has dealt with quite a lot of injuries. If someone offers him the nurse or Jones contract I think it´s time to walk away from him. If that were the case it´d be great if BM could get something for him which I doubt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lundestrom and Steel both sign their QOs for $875K. 

This team has so much cap space….

Edit: Looks like both are 2-way contracts too. Now THAT is surprising.

Pretty good deals altough I´d rather lock up Lundestrom for a while longer. 

Like you say that capspace though.

nice signing, I thought both will have 1-1.5 mio... Comtois 3 and Jones 1 mio. then 2 defenders from Minors and the team is build with 11-12 Mio cap space to make a move as Arizona did it, take 2 bad contracts for picks.

4 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

He is quite possibly the only legitimate star on this team though. He's going to single handedly drag a last place team to the playoffs? He's probably the main reason we haven't ended up 31st the last three to four years. Our goals for keeps dropping like a brick. The defense has sucked worse every year since Yawney left. And to top it all off our pp got sucked into a black hole. And you're suggesting we skip all that and pretend that Gibson is garbage? 

Easily 3/4 of the league would probably replace their starting goaltender with Gibson if they had the chance. 

True, but also why we should move him to help the rebuild. We are wasting most of his potential prime years (unless he is the next MAF), and he is actually preventing us from getting higher picks, lottery odds aside.

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

nice signing, I thought both will have 1-1.5 mio... Comtois 3 and Jones 1 mio. then 2 defenders from Minors and the team is build with 11-12 Mio cap space to make a move as Arizona did it, take 2 bad contracts for picks.

Which contracts? There aren’t many left that need to be moved. I think the Ducks likely missed out on those opportunities.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Yeah but other teams have won a Cup paying the high price and Ducks fans just reminisce about 2007. If it's the right player, such as an established franchise #1 C who's still young then do you say no and just hope Zegras is good? It's too bad that last season was short and Zegras didn't get many games. That would answer the question if he's the future or just another cog in the machine. This is just one of those points in the Ducks history where we look back in 5 years and say it was worth it or give a big facepalm because the team that did get Eichel won a Cup.

With the exception of Buffalo and possibly Arizona who are set to engage in a rematch of their 2015 McDavid Tank-Off, couldn't every other team in the league that's better than the Ducks say that? LA would have a greater risk of being face palmed since they are currently better and have more than enough assets to pull a trade off. Or why isn't Yzerman in on Eichel? My guess is that those teams just assessed that they have a better chance a long term success by not trading for him given the cost. Put Eichel on the Ducks and he's missing the playoffs again but in better weather, imo. There is so much in flux with the Ducks right now, with most of us seemingly wanting an answer to a simple question that we've been asking for a while: WHAT IS THE PLAN, BOB?

I think we are still 2-3 seasons away before we see what Zegras can be. We need him very good regardless of whether Eichel is a Duck or not. 

13 hours ago, ike8228 said:

But at some point you have to do something. Everyone is overpaying and bringing assists in. If Murray never does something like that, he will always be behind the curve. Unfortunately you have to make dumb moves to be better sometimes….

He's going to be forced to do something ultimately. Given what defensemen are getting, it could be around $8 mil per to on Lindholm's next contract and there were rumblings of him looking into extensions for Manson...and Rakell. 

Murray is behind the curve by not moving on from players earlier for more value when the team was still bad and actually starting the rebuild process. Is he hoping that this roster magically plays much better this year and if they predictably are bad again then he'll just finally sell at deadline for even less value? Is he going to extend them if he can? He has cap space to weaponize and still nothing. So, we just might see his magnum opus of asset mismanagement yet!

17 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Sorry for the paywall link, but this is a good summary of my frustration with Murray and the Ducks this offseason (and going back a couple offseasons): https://theathletic.com/2755412/2021/08/06/stephens-with-their-lack-of-offseason-moves-and-clear-communication-what-message-are-the-ducks-sending-to-fans/

I would have to give Eric a credit: he is the ONLY Ducks beat writer who challenge BM competence. All others, especially from OC Register, are just statisticians.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Can you imagine if this was a Canadian market or another big market team?

Yes.  We'd make panic moves based on fans and have severe droughts of good seasons.  

But hey, we'd be happy in the off-season! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

With the exception of Buffalo and possibly Arizona who are set to engage in a rematch of their 2015 McDavid Tank-Off, couldn't every other team in the league that's better than the Ducks say that? LA would have a greater risk of being face palmed since they are currently better and have more than enough assets to pull a trade off. Or why isn't Yzerman in on Eichel? My guess is that those teams just assessed that they have a better chance a long term success by not trading for him given the cost. Put Eichel on the Ducks and he's missing the playoffs again but in better weather, imo. There is so much in flux with the Ducks right now, with most of us seemingly wanting an answer to a simple question that we've been asking for a while: WHAT IS THE PLAN, BOB?

I think we are still 2-3 seasons away before we see what Zegras can be. We need him very good regardless of whether Eichel is a Duck or not. 

First off, I'm not saying we should trade Zegras but it seems to be the player Buffalo wants. The longer this goes on, the better chance Zegras is off the table and the more likely Buffalo takes some spare parts because they wont agree to Eichels preferred surgery. Maybe that's what other teams are waiting for too. Bob needs to be the bus driver on this, not the passenger in the last row. That could also be the reason some big name UFA's are still unsigned. Eichel might miss the playoffs again this season if he were with the Ducks but I also don't think this team is so bad either. You're right about the flux with the team but my point is you get a star like Eichel and that changes things. It's not just about making the playoffs, it's also about getting the fans engaged with the team again.

5 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

First off, I'm not saying we should trade Zegras but it seems to be the player Buffalo wants. The longer this goes on, the better chance Zegras is off the table and the more likely Buffalo takes some spare parts because they wont agree to Eichels preferred surgery. Maybe that's what other teams are waiting for too. Bob needs to be the bus driver on this, not the passenger in the last row. That could also be the reason some big name UFA's are still unsigned. Eichel might miss the playoffs again this season if he were with the Ducks but I also don't think this team is so bad either. You're right about the flux with the team but my point is you get a star like Eichel and that changes things. It's not just about making the playoffs, it's also about getting the fans engaged with the team again.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you said that. I don't think that you did and I am on board with Zegras/Drysdale/McTavish not being traded....or that the Ducks should trade for Eichel at all. Zegras isn't going anywhere, imo since I think a trade would have happened already if the Ducks were willing to move him and it would defeat the purpose of having a future 1-2 punch down the middle.

My point is that the Ducks current highly drafted prospects (with another one likely being added next year) are going to determine the Ducks future success much more than Eichel would. Getting Eichel certainly engages the fans again and does make the team better. My issue is to what extent given how bad the Ducks are. Will fans feel better about missing the playoffs with Eichel than without him? It would make me feel so much worse lol. Or becoming the Oilers or even our 55 Freeway neighbor Angels, who both have two of the sports premiere players but no real hope of competing for a championship. That's sports purgatory, imo.

Let's just wait until after this season when we are out of flux with Henrique, Rakell, Manson, Lindholm, et al. There should be more stability and we are then in a better position to go big game player hunting.

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Yes.  We'd make panic moves based on fans and have severe droughts of good seasons.  

But hey, we'd be happy in the off-season! 

I’m not referring to overpaying for Seth Jones or moves like that. It’s this rudderless delusion that this team can compete by just doing nothing. We’re having severe droughts of good season currently and there’s not really an end in sight. The fact that Manson, Rakell, Silfverberg etc are on this team still feels baffling. And every time Murray opens his mouth it’s some weird delusions about competing soon while he does nothing to assist the franchise move through this rebuild. Think about how many good players were available late into the second round of the draft this year and we didn’t have extra picks. I’m not even saying he HAS to trade for Eichel to be successful, it’s still early in the offseason, so there’s time, but it’s been 2-3 years of this, people are rightfully restless. 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, tommer-1 said:

I was more looking at that entire group and, imo, seeing 0 guys who are difference-makers.  We are hoping that  kids like Zegras and Drysdale and McTavish and maybe even Perreault will be that, and they may, but looking at those "older" guys, we thought the same thing.  And non of them have been.  They haven't drafted legit impact guys - and held onto them (Theo and Wild Bill) since 2005 - one guy - and 2003 - two guys.  That's it.

Don't bring up Gibson's name, because he is not a difference-maker.  He doesn't put this team on his back and drag them to greatness.

Those really high draft picks, Top 10 - Lindholm, Ritchie, Zegras, Drysdale, McTavish - will any of them be difference-makers?  Right now we know about Lindholm and Ritchie. 0 for 2.  We are hoping on the next three.  What in the Ducks' history gives us that hope? Getzlaf, Perry, Kariya.  That's about it.

I'd say Gibson would have a better reputation if he was on almost any other team. The Ducks are worse than even what the stats say. Gibson consistently has to make up for incompetent coaching and Dehydrated Donkey Dungty turnovers. Worst of all he has 0 goal support.

Put him on the Av's and I guarantee you they win a cup. Its a shame that he has to deal with terrible coach and equally terrible management. Dude is a gamer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It'll be a very long time until there will be a bigger get than Jack Eichel. An elite franchise center, in his prime and on a long term deal? those don't come around often. Especially for a team like the Ducks who struggle to attract free agents and most teams aren't exactly throwing away these players. 

I think if you're the Ducks you have Zegras and Drysdale off the table. McTavish is an asset the Ducks should be comfortable with moving. Hes a good prospect but I don't think many people expect him to ever be Jack Eichel. 

I think the Ducks should try and keep the build in the span of Gibson and Lindholms primes. If you wait until 2028 to be completive, you run the risk of opening up more holes in the team and having guys like Zegras and Drysdale looking elsewhere to win a championship. Losing culture makes guys look elsewhere. (see the Sabres who just lost their second overall pick and is about to lose another) 

Zegras, Eichel, Drysdale would be an amazing trio to build your franchise around. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CharlieConway said:

It'll be a very long time until there will be a bigger get than Jack Eichel. An elite franchise center, in his prime and on a long term deal? those don't come around often. Especially for a team like the Ducks who struggle to attract free agents and most teams aren't exactly throwing away these players. 

I think if you're the Ducks you have Zegras and Drysdale off the table. McTavish is an asset the Ducks should be comfortable with moving. Hes a good prospect but I don't think many people expect him to ever be Jack Eichel. 

I think the Ducks should try and keep the build in the span of Gibson and Lindholms primes. If you wait until 2028 to be completive, you run the risk of opening up more holes in the team and having guys like Zegras and Drysdale looking elsewhere to win a championship. Losing culture makes guys look elsewhere. (see the Sabres who just lost their second overall pick and is about to lose another) 

Zegras, Eichel, Drysdale would be an amazing trio to build your franchise around. 

If this team doesn’t show serious improvement this season, we’re virtually assured of losing Lindholm to UFA, which creates a gaping hole on the blue line. I shudder to think of what our defense looks like for the next 5-6 seasons if we continue the tank. It takes a long time to develop D prospects and Anaheim isn’t a magnet for top UFAs. This team could be down for a very, very long time.

15 hours ago, CharlieConway said:

I think that ship has mostly sailed because Murray never committed to the rebuild. Next season is going to be bad again so that will be another year lost and Lindholm can be a UFA. Unless he wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray throws an insane amount of money at him when he's 29. Then we are paying him more as he enters the back-nine of his career while the prospects are still coming into their own. The timelines do not match up well, imo. I think the Ducks should be building around Zegras/Drysdale/McTavish/2022 first rounder, if anything. The Ducks could start taking a big step towards competitiveness for the 2022-2023 season as long as Murray doesn't do anything stupid (i.e. giving away valuable assets and continuing to extend vets). We'll have cap space and hopefully more picks/prospects for us to bring in a better supporting cast.

I don't think we are at risk of a losing culture like Buffalo. We were a perennial playoff team for 15 years and are going through a rebuild. We've missed the playoffs the last three years, same as LA, and there's no worry about them having a losing culture, or the Red Wings who have missed the playoffs the last 5 seasons.

7 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that ship has mostly sailed because Murray never committed to the rebuild. Next season is going to be bad again so that will be another year lost and Lindholm can be a UFA. Unless he wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray throws an insane amount of money at him when he's 29. Then we are paying him more as he enters the back-nine of his career while the prospects are still coming into their own. The timelines do not match up well, imo. I think the Ducks should be building around Zegras/Drysdale/McTavish/2022 first rounder, if anything. The Ducks could start taking a big step towards competitiveness for the 2022-2023 season as long as Murray doesn't do anything stupid (i.e. giving away valuable assets and continuing to extend vets). We'll have cap space and hopefully more picks/prospects for us to bring in a better supporting cast.

I don't think we are at risk of a losing culture like Buffalo. We were a perennial playoff team for 15 years and are going through a rebuild. We've missed the playoffs the last three years, same as LA, and there's no worry about them having a losing culture, or the Red Wings who have missed the playoffs the last 5 seasons.

How? Paint the picture for us unbelievers. What UFAs come here in 2022-23? And what does our defense look like? The Ducks don’t attract high end UFAs, especially when they’re losing. And you can’t acquire a better supporting cast without trading valuable assets. Seriously, give us your ideal roster in 2022-23 that the Ducks will compete with.