The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

1 hour ago, Gorbachav55 said:

If Lindholm isn't likely to re-sign, then what does it matter if we find someone of that level right away?

The Ducks have a hard time attracting UFA's especially good one's and with the Ducks being near the bottom of the league there isn't anything really attractive about Anaheim besides the weather. A wad of cash might be attractive to some UFA's but re-signing Lindholm with a wad of cash would be better. Remember, he's only 27 now and will be 28 by the time he hits the UFA market. It's going to be hard finding someone at his age and level.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

The Ducks have a hard time attracting UFA's especially good one's and with the Ducks being near the bottom of the league there isn't anything really attractive about Anaheim besides the weather. A wad of cash might be attractive to some UFA's but re-signing Lindholm with a wad of cash would be better. Remember, he's only 27 now and will be 28 by the time he hits the UFA market. It's going to be hard finding someone at his age and level.

My point was that Lindholm for this year doesn't help the Ducks. We need him in three or four years when the team is good again. By that time, the hope is that one of the Ducks' draft picks or current prospects have become a solid 1st pairing defender.

Really, the Ducks just need a new GM who can acquire or retain actually good players. They don't have it right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Why are we throwing money at them though? I don't think continuing to spend more on a bad roster to help reach the cap floor makes sense. As far as the cap floor goes, I think Murray's never-ending love for Manson is going to lead to him overpaying and keeping him in Anaheim. Plus, the Red Wings need to spend even more than the Ducks next offseason just to reach the cap floor (Currently 30 mil compared to 24 for the Ducks).

The main desire would be so that he doesn't leave for nothing in free agency. Even if you lose Lindholm, you'll still have Fowler, Silfverberg, Shattenkirk, Manson (assuming he re-signs) as veterans on the roster. Lindholm is a good player, and if you can move out Fowler's contract in order to sign him, then I wouldn't mind that but that is going to be hard to do. The Ducks are better defensively when Lindholm plays yet are still pretty bad overall in that area when he does. Lindholm's contract and trade value should have the Ducks fielding calls to see what they could get for him.

Because Lindholm is our best D man. Because he's only 27 years old. Because we're hopefully a Playoff team in 2 years and hopefully a contender in 3-4 years and he'll (still) be in his prime then. 
How much do you think we're going to get for one year of Lindholm? It'll be less than what CBJ got for jones who's been a Norris runner-up. 
From an area where we're already lacking you want to substract the best player? 

No pick or prospect we could possibly get will be where Lindholm will be in 3 years. If he wants to sign for or anything less than 8 mil BM has got to do it. Moving Lindholm makes little to no sense unless he wants Jones/Nurse money. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Let me enter my 2cents.

Both Lindholm and Mason are good players, but none of them are cornerstone of this organization. If I was GM, I would try to negotiate 4-5 years deal with fair pay rate. None of them deserves 8 years, since it's clear that the last 2-3 years of the contracts will be a heavy luggage on this team.

My educated guess, 5 years at $7 to $7.5 mil per season would be fair, and if they want more, let them try free agency and see what they really worth.

As someone already mentioned here before, what's the point to spend tons of money on the same players who can't lead this team to the playoffs?

I'm sorry but this is quite a dumb statement. So we have to let every good player walk because we can't make the playoffs? Yeah that'll help us get there. 
Of course Lindholm isn't gonna carry this team to the playoffs on his own. You might want to look up some stats from last year. Connor McDavid led the league in points with 105. Max Comtois is the first Duck on that list in position 118 with 33 points. Go back one season. Then you have Adam Henrique in position 117 with 43 points. You can have Hedman and Fox on this team and we'd still not make the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I'm sorry but this is quite a dumb statement. So we have to let every good player walk because we can't make the playoffs? Yeah that'll help us get there. 
Of course Lindholm isn't gonna carry this team to the playoffs on his own. You might want to look up some stats from last year. Connor McDavid led the league in points with 105. Max Comtois is the first Duck on that list in position 118 with 33 points. Go back one season. Then you have Adam Henrique in position 117 with 43 points. You can have Hedman and Fox on this team and we'd still not make the playoffs.

No, you trade aging good players for assets to assist the rebuild. Committing 7-9 million dollars for Lindholm doesn’t make sense, he’ll be pushing 30 by the time this team is good again and will be declining. It just doesn’t make sense to commit that much money to him. If he was 3-4 years younger, I’d keep him. The Ducks also should be looking to weaponize their cap space in the next couple years and having another huge cap it for someone who isn’t an impact player  again doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

So what veteran players should get moved out? IMO, continuing to double down and keep the same player seems like a way to make sure that the Ducks stay terrible lol. At least at LHD, there is decent depth with Thrun, LaCombe and Zellweger. Plus, one of the areas that Murray deserves credit for is that he’s been able to draft pretty good defensive talent.

Rico, Silf, maybe Rakell.  Not all 3 at once, but 2 of those three if they get an okay return.  Definitely more flexibility on the Offense than Defense.    

Lindholm isn't expected to pot 20G per season as a D. To think there's going to be some dramatic decline in production once he hits 30 seems unlikely. What he excels at ages well. Yes he missed time this past season due to injury, but it was a broken wrist caused by a slash. He's not pulling groins or suffering concussion issues. There have been plenty of effective D in their 30's. No reason to think Lindholm wouldn't be added to that list. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Rico, Silf, maybe Rakell.  Not all 3 at once, but 2 of those three if they get an okay return.  Definitely more flexibility on the Offense than Defense.    

Two of those have term left on their deal as they age into their 30s, which is going to make them relatively undesirable on the trade market.  Rico is obviously not in demand since every team had the chance to pick him up for free and declined to do so.  Silf is coming off a terrible season where he required significant surgery.  I can't see a team offering to take his contract either.  

Rakell is probably the only one who has value on the market, but he's also the youngest and most likely to be a significant contributor on the next good Ducks team, assuming he's willing to sign an extension.  That said, the Ducks do have plenty of skilled wingers in the system, so trading him makes sense.

On pending UFAs, I'm of the opinion that if you're competing for a playoff spot, you shouldn't automatically trade those guys.  Let them play it out with the team and contribute.  But if you're in a position like the Ducks are, rebuilding and nowhere near a playoff spot, there really isn't any reason to let those guys walk for nothing.  Lindholm likely fetches the most in return of anyone on the roster.  If preliminary talks about an extension haven't yielded significant progress, the Ducks should shop him and look to get long-term assets in return.  They can't be much worse without him, given how last season went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Lindholm isn't expected to pot 20G per season as a D. To think there's going to be some dramatic decline in production once he hits 30 seems unlikely. What he excels at ages well. Yes he missed time this past season due to injury, but it was a broken wrist caused by a slash. He's not pulling groins or suffering concussion issues. There have been plenty of effective D in their 30's. No reason to think Lindholm wouldn't be added to that list. 

I'm old enough to remember a 35-year-old Francois Beauchemin leading the Ducks in TOI during the 2015 playoffs (while sheltering his 21-year-old partner, some Swedish dude name Hampus), which was not long after he finished 4th in the Norris voting at age 32. 

Maybe it's just me, but the thought of a 30/31-year-old Hampus Lindholm paired with a 22/23-year-old Jamie Drysdale really intrigues me.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm old enough to remember a 35-year-old Francois Beauchemin leading the Ducks in TOI during the 2015 playoffs (while sheltering his 21-year-old partner, some Swedish dude name Hampus), which was not long after he finished 4th in the Norris voting at age 32. 

Maybe it's just me, but the thought of a 30/31-year-old Hampus Lindholm paired with a 22/23-year-old Jamie Drysdale really intrigues me.

I’m definitely not saying Hambus would be useless and I would love for him to be useful and good. I just worry how 35 year old Hambus Lindholm looks on this team at 7-9 million when they’re actually trying to win. Lindholm and Rakell and MAYBE Rico at retained salary are the only desirable pieces this team has and they should absolutely be looking to get more draft capital and prospects. 

18 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m definitely not saying Hambus would be useless and I would love for him to be useful and good. I just worry how 35 year old Hambus Lindholm looks on this team at 7-9 million when they’re actually trying to win. Lindholm and Rakell and MAYBE Rico at retained salary are the only desirable pieces this team has and they should absolutely be looking to get more draft capital and prospects. 

You don't think they'll try to win until Hampus is 35? Yeesh, Zegras and Drysdale will be UFAs by then....

Seriously, though, I can't see Hampus getting $8M+ in UFA unless he blows up for double-digit goals and 45-50+ points this coming season, which will be a monumental challenge with our existing roster, especially since he doesn't power play. More likely he'll be in the $7-$7.5M range, and then by the time he's 35 he's probably counting as ~ 8.0% - 8.5% of the team's overall cap, which is a palatable number considering he'll likely still be a very strong defensive presence on the backend. It's not a great %, but it's better than Shea Weber's cap % this past season, and Weber's contract sure didn't seem to hinder Montreal from making the Cup finals. And it's not like he'll be making $11M/season until he's 37 like Doughty will be. :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

You don't think they'll try to win until Hampus is 35? Yeesh, Zegras and Drysdale will be UFAs by then....

Seriously, though, I can't see Hampus getting $8M+ in UFA unless he blows up for double-digit goals and 45-50+ points this coming season, which will be a monumental challenge with our existing roster, especially since he doesn't power play. More likely he'll be in the $7-$7.5M range, and then by the time he's 35 he's probably counting as ~ 8.0% - 8.5% of the team's overall cap, which is a palatable number considering he'll likely still be a very strong defensive presence on the backend. It's not a great %, but it's better than Shea Weber's cap % this past season, and Weber's contract sure didn't seem to hinder Montreal from making the Cup finals. And it's not like he'll be making $11M/season until he's 37 like Doughty will be. :lol:

With the contracts handed out to Jones and Nurse, I could see Lindholm wanting to test the market if he's healthy most of the season.  I think a healthy season, even if it's at 7 goals and 30 points, gets him an $8 million contract over at least 6 years.  If the Ducks aren't willing to go that high, they might not get him signed, and they really can't afford to let him walk for nothing at this stage of the rebuild.  He's easily worth a 1st at the trade deadline.

Edited by Gorbachav55

4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I'd also add Manson to the list to be moved. If Lindholm is asking for too much or it seems we won't be able to sign him then by all means trade him. But id hold onto him and probably Ricky. Our defense will be absolute trash, plus what will that accomplish? Look at Toronto, their defense is still not too great. Sure they have a lot of firepower but now they have a different issue. Both parts of the team are important and besides I seem to remember that he was probably had the most stamina in the combine before he was drafted. He's not going to decline like other more offensively talented defensemen will in their 30s. He's more of a Lindstrom type player in that he's very physically fit and could probably play into his late 30s at a high level for sure. But if the right offer comes along I'd trade him. 

I would only trade Lindholm for a valuable NHL player.  For instance, if he had to be part of the Eichel package.  But even then you still would be trying to replace what Lindholm brings.

He's not gonna be "too expensive" on his next deal, he most likely will stay in ANA for under $8 mil per and under 8 years.

32 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I would only trade Lindholm for a valuable NHL player.  For instance, if he had to be part of the Eichel package.  But even then you still would be trying to replace what Lindholm brings.

He's not gonna be "too expensive" on his next deal, he most likely will stay in ANA for under $8 mil per and under 8 years.

I've been reading a lot of comments about getting Eichel in the forum.  I might be in the minority but I am concerned about Eichel's injury situation.  Lindholm, except for a broken wrist last season, doesn't seem to have what could be long term body damage.  I worry about getting into a Kessler situation again... Quote: "Eichel said he struggled with a handful of injuries this season, from a cracked rib suffered in training camp to an abdominal injury from last year that still bothered him. But it was the way the Sabres handled his neck injury that caused the schism between the team and its franchise player.May 10, 2021."  Eichel wants disc-replacement surgery... "What I can just tell you is, it's never been performed on an NHL hockey player,"

I know personally that certain injuries never really heal and spine / neck problems are one of them.

19 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Lindholm is good, when healthy, and if he'll re-sign, I'm good with that.

The best time to move Manson was at the draft.  The next best time is in the next five minutes.  And that will continue to be true up until the trade deadline.  

It's like tradition so something by Stubborn Bob and wait for something to happen. just a weeks away from Ducks Training Camp aka Gathering of the Ducks and still No News.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

29 minutes ago, MissNoSeven said:

I've been reading a lot of comments about getting Eichel in the forum.  I might be in the minority but I am concerned about Eichel's injury situation.  Lindholm, except for a broken wrist last season, doesn't seem to have what could be long term body damage.  I worry about getting into a Kessler situation again... Quote: "Eichel said he struggled with a handful of injuries this season, from a cracked rib suffered in training camp to an abdominal injury from last year that still bothered him. But it was the way the Sabres handled his neck injury that caused the schism between the team and its franchise player.May 10, 2021."  Eichel wants disc-replacement surgery... "What I can just tell you is, it's never been performed on an NHL hockey player,"

I know personally that certain injuries never really heal and spine / neck problems are one of them.

That is very true, it hasn't but it has been performed on NHL hockey players according to the Dr. that would perform the surgery on Eichel but it has been performed on hockey players in different leagues. The artificial disk replacement surgery has been performed on MMA fighters without any issues. This type of procedure has been around for 20+ years so it's not new or experimental. I would be more concerned with the ACDF procedure if the Ducks traded for him and planned on extending him when his current contract expires.

1 hour ago, MissNoSeven said:

Who knows with Eichel, but I do find it curious that the Sabres are trying to hold out for max value in a trade for what a "healthy" Eichel would bring.

If the Sabres were that concerned that he'll never be the player he once was, they would have dealt him for a good return by now.  And it seems pretty clear that teams were offering good returns.  And what would be the point of hanging on to him and paying him to sit on LTIR if they thought he was going to be a shell of his former self?  The logic doesn't follow for me.

I think the relationship is the thing that is irrevocably damaged, not so much his neck.  He's not happy, they are not doing him ANY favors with how they run the team and how they are handling him, they want to deal him. If he was damaged goods or a risky bet they would have pulled the trigger.

Edited by tommer-1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Thrun and LaCombe are going to be role players. Hopefully good role players, but 2nd pair guys at best on average/bad teams and 3rd pair on a contender. Meanwhile, Lindholm has been the best defender on the Ducks’ two most recent WCF teams, and he’s still only 27. And the defense is horrid when he’s out of the line up. Moving Lindholm just to make space for Thrun, LaCombe, and Zellgewer (who is still only 17 btw) would rival the decision to gift wrap the 2C spot to Steel and the top-line RW spot to Terry prior to the start of the 2019-20 season as the worst personnel decisions this organization has made in the past decade. No good team makes decisions like that. Good teams double down on their best players, even when they’re re-setting the rest of their roster.

That said, I’ve been pretty consistent here saying the team should move on from Manson. I don’t think he’s that good anymore and I even preferred Gudbranson and Hakanpaa over him when those guys were here. I’d favor trading him now and bringing back Guddy and Vatanen on short term deals to take his spot. I’ve also suggested trading him and chasing Subban for the short term. If we do re-sign Manson, it’s got to be short and affordable. Like 3 x $3.5 would be palatable. It yeah, Manson is the vet I’d trade. Lindholm and Rakell are too far above replacement value IMO to trade unless we simply can’t re-sign them.

Lindholm will turn 28 in January and will be 29 during the first season of his extension. With the Ducks going nowhere next season, it's pretty much just another year he'll get older as much as anything and not likely to convince him to sign. You're not moving Lindholm just to make room for Thrun, LaCombe, Zellweger. It's him walking for nothing and getting something in return. Assuming he wants to re-sign, I'd do that if you can move Fowler's contract because paying ~14 mil for both of them seems like bad value. As far as replacement value, I just don't see how keeping them on this roster is going to yield a noticeably better result and there's only so much of the roster that you can overhaul.

14 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Because Lindholm is our best D man. Because he's only 27 years old. Because we're hopefully a Playoff team in 2 years and hopefully a contender in 3-4 years and he'll (still) be in his prime then. 
How much do you think we're going to get for one year of Lindholm? It'll be less than what CBJ got for jones who's been a Norris runner-up. 
From an area where we're already lacking you want to substract the best player? 

No pick or prospect we could possibly get will be where Lindholm will be in 3 years. If he wants to sign for or anything less than 8 mil BM has got to do it. Moving Lindholm makes little to no sense unless he wants Jones/Nurse money. 

If you move him at the deadline then I think you're looking at a first and third round pick, moving him now would bring back more than Ristolainen got, imo, but that is too late to happen now, imo. In 3-4 years, Lindholm will be 31-32 years old and will be exiting his prime years. His prime years are now which the Ducks are no where close of taking advantage of. Fowler will be 33-34 and his contract almost up, so I am not sure how having those two as our top LHD are going to get the Ducks back into contention by then. If the Ducks can't bring in a defensemen in 3-4 years either via draft or trade then that's another issue. Teams move good players who are pending UFAs all of the time when they are as bad as the Ducks....and the Ducks are awful. The Avs traded a 27 year old Matt Duchene which turned out wonderfully for them after one of the worst seasons in hockey history! If the Ducks want to keep Lindholm then I think it's going to cost them 8 years at close to 8 mil per. If it's 7.5 mil per or lower then I think other teams will offer him that even if though other teams can only offer him 7 years. He'd get paid and go to a better team immediately.

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Lindholm will turn 28 in January and will be 29 during the first season of his extension. With the Ducks going nowhere next season, it's pretty much just another year he'll get older as much as anything and not likely to convince him to sign. You're not moving Lindholm just to make room for Thrun, LaCombe, Zellweger. It's him walking for nothing and getting something in return. Assuming he wants to re-sign, I'd do that if you can move Fowler's contract because paying ~14 mil for both of them seems like bad value. As far as replacement value, I just don't see how keeping them on this roster is going to yield a noticeably better result and there's only so much of the roster that you can overhaul.

If you move him at the deadline then I think you're looking at a first and third round pick, moving him now would bring back more than Ristolainen got, imo, but that is too late to happen now, imo. In 3-4 years, Lindholm will be 31-32 years old and will be exiting his prime years. His prime years are now which the Ducks are no where close of taking advantage of. Fowler will be 33-34 and his contract almost up, so I am not sure how having those two as our top LHD are going to get the Ducks back into contention by then. If the Ducks can't bring in a defensemen in 3-4 years either via draft or trade then that's another issue. Teams move good players who are pending UFAs all of the time when they are as bad as the Ducks....and the Ducks are awful. The Avs traded a 27 year old Matt Duchene which turned out wonderfully for them after one of the worst seasons in hockey history! If the Ducks want to keep Lindholm then I think it's going to cost them 8 years at close to 8 mil per. If it's 7.5 mil per or lower then I think other teams will offer him that even if though other teams can only offer him 7 years. He'd get paid and go to a better team immediately.

How can you tell? For all we know he's still in his prime at 34. I'm all for giving the young guys opportunities but somebody has to show them the ropes. I'll say it again if Hampus doesn't ask for Nurse/Jones money we should keep him. I draw the line at 8 mil. 

Maybe I'm being overly positive but IMO we aren't that far away from being a competitive team IF Zegras & Drysdale can take steps. If they are what they project to be they may be very good players in 2 years. While they're not superstars (yet) having Gibson, Lindholm, Drysdale, Zegras & Comtois will go a long way into being competitive. That's a really solid core. Add some veteran presence in Fowler & Rakell. I think we may have something in Perreault and Groulx. McTavish already has the size to be a NHL player so maybe he's not that far off. Lundestrom is still a toss up. Add some size and grit and that really has the potential of being a pretty good team.

Dump Eakins (preferably yesterday) and hire a GM who isn't afraid to make a move and things might turn quickly. Look into what arizona wants for Dvorak (I'm guessing they want picks and prospects ) and monitor the Laine situation. I'm still not sold on the idea he wants to stay in columbus. If he wants out, throw money at him. We have the capspace.
Take a flyer on Drouin if montreal is interested. That's such a BM thing to do btw that I wouldn't be surprised if he's stalking Bergevin day and night. 

If we still suck next season chances are we end up with another great prospect (Wright, Savoie, Lambert, Nemec, Geekie...). IMO the (near) future is bright. 

Alright Back to the Topic at hand...Still weeks away from Ducks Training Camp...Anyone make any guess on what our Ducks will Do......OH WAIT I Know they will focus on either depth signings or....waiting. Which wer are use to...Anyways. Ducks should focus on getting some quality Players don't know Stubborn Bob likes to wait around.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

How can you tell? For all we know he's still in his prime at 34. I'm all for giving the young guys opportunities but somebody has to show them the ropes. I'll say it again if Hampus doesn't ask for Nurse/Jones money we should keep him. I draw the line at 8 mil. 

Maybe I'm being overly positive but IMO we aren't that far away from being a competitive team IF Zegras & Drysdale can take steps. If they are what they project to be they may be very good players in 2 years. While they're not superstars (yet) having Gibson, Lindholm, Drysdale, Zegras & Comtois will go a long way into being competitive. That's a really solid core. Add some veteran presence in Fowler & Rakell. I think we may have something in Perreault and Groulx. McTavish already has the size to be a NHL player so maybe he's not that far off. Lundestrom is still a toss up. Add some size and grit and that really has the potential of being a pretty good team.

Dump Eakins (preferably yesterday) and hire a GM who isn't afraid to make a move and things might turn quickly. Look into what arizona wants for Dvorak (I'm guessing they want picks and prospects ) and monitor the Laine situation. I'm still not sold on the idea he wants to stay in columbus. If he wants out, throw money at him. We have the capspace.
Take a flyer on Drouin if montreal is interested. That's such a BM thing to do btw that I wouldn't be surprised if he's stalking Bergevin day and night. 

If we still suck next season chances are we end up with another great prospect (Wright, Savoie, Lambert, Nemec, Geekie...). IMO the (near) future is bright. 

It's not a good way to plan for the future by assuming your players will defy decades of statistical analysis by defying aging curves.  Historically, non-elite players peak between 23 and 27 and then their prime lasts two years on either side, possibly three.  After that, they go into decline.  Some players remain useful longer, and I'd say Lindholm would be a candidate for that - he's a strong skater but not a sprinter, he's a strong positional player with lots of endurance, he's not reliant on his hands to provide value.  But it's foolish to predict that a player will be an anomaly.  Lindholm will probably still be useful from ages 30 - 34, but he will probably be more of a second pairing guy.  Or he could be useful as a solid partner for Drysdale, if Drysdale turns into a stud.  Either way, the Ducks are going to need one more top pairing guy anyway, either to play alongside Fowler or to replace Fowler.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:00 AM, perry_mvp said:

I think the Last Time our Ducks attracted UFA was Scott Niedermayer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

34 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

I think the Last Time our Ducks attracted UFA was Scott Niedermayer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Only because his brother Rob was here. Otherwise, Scott doesn't come here.

4 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Only because his brother Rob was here. Otherwise, Scott doesn't come here.

It was a Blessing simple as that.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Either way, the Ducks are going to need one more top pairing guy anyway, either to play alongside Fowler or to replace Fowler.

Or, if we get rid of Lindholm, we'll need TWO more top pairing guys.  That's my concern.

• Like 1