The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

man I got so excited when this off-season started with new assistant coaches....

I'm excited to see how Z and Drysdale improve and whatever other prospects come up and show what they've got. And I'm very curious to see how much, if at all, off last season was for Rico and Silfv and Rakell and others. What a potentially healthy Lindholm and Manson could be (fingers crossed) with the new assistants. And how Comtois continues to grow.

I'd still be excited for Eichel (with proper assets staying here, obviously). I think he'll be fine after the surgery and he'll like living in SoCal and playing with someone like Z.

I don't think BM thinks this is a playoff team at all. But I do think he thinks he's built a young team he wants to see grow and also is REALLY waiting to do anything till Eichel is resolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loggoog said:

Just read on Twitter from SiriusXM host John Hoven that the Murray’s most recent offer included two roster players… one unnamed and the other John Gibson, for Eichel… if I were Gibson, I’d feel so deflated going from the second worst to the worst team in the league! 

I'd feel the same way if I were Eichel coming to Anaheim lol.

Agree with d-law that the trade makes no sense for Buffalo unless they are going to flip Gibson for more futures for their rebuild. Also, this doesn't make sense for the Ducks if the point is to make a push for playoffs sooner rather than later. They are still going to be heavily dependent on goaltending to do that and there is no replacement or stop gap if Gibson is gone. 

Gibson has a 10 team no-trade list also and I don't think it would be a shock if Buffalo was on it.

• Like 1

Trading Gibson in a deal for Eichel could be great asset management. Too bad it’s probably unlikely. Goalie’s rarely bring back a haul in trades; considering where the team is right now it would be a great move if the Ducks could use him to get a #1 superstar center. Even that rumored Carolina trade deadline deal that didn’t go through probably would have been good for the Ducks. I like that it seems Murray is open to moving Gibson if he’s getting something really good back. Strike while the iron is hot if his stock around the league is high. 

4 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

Trading Gibson in a deal for Eichel could be great asset management. Too bad it’s probably unlikely. Goalie’s rarely bring back a haul in trades; considering where the team is right now it would be a great move if the Ducks could use him to get a #1 superstar center. Even that rumored Carolina trade deadline deal that didn’t go through probably would have been good for the Ducks. I like that it seems Murray is open to moving Gibson if he’s getting something really good back. Strike while the iron is hot if his stock around the league is high. 

His stock was higher last season. As was anyone else's. If BM wanted to move anyone he should have done it prior to last season. Not counting Zegras and Drysdale because they were just getting their feet wet and with the exception of Comtois everybody's value took a hit after that dreadful season. BM messed up last off season and is doing even worse now. 

If the Eichel deal doesn't go through (which I still hope doesn't) I can also see BM announcing a deal for Connor McDavid also fell through at the last moment because edmonton wouldn't bite on our offer of Jacob Larsson, a conditional 7th rounder (the condition being the oilers winning The Cup, Larsson playing in 83 regular season games and picking up the Norris & Conn Smythe along the way), 2 Disneylandtickets, and a coupon for a hotdog at 50% at an Angels game.

Because of these unfortunate proceedings BM will make a trade for Carter Rowney and Devin Shore and sign Jason Chimera to a PTO. He'll call it a succesful offseason saying we added speed and experience.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

Also they should have plan to ensure Ducks Goaltending Depth is not weaken...IF Ducks Trade John Gibson. Gibson for Eichel Trade will have meaning...But also I would like it more then 1 for 1.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I'd feel the same way if I were Eichel coming to Anaheim lol.

Agree with d-law that the trade makes no sense for Buffalo unless they are going to flip Gibson for more futures for their rebuild. Also, this doesn't make sense for the Ducks if the point is to make a push for playoffs sooner rather than later. They are still going to be heavily dependent on goaltending to do that and there is no replacement or stop gap if Gibson is gone. 

Gibson has a 10 team no-trade list also and I don't think it would be a shock if Buffalo was on it.

Definitely. But if Buffalo lines up another trade partner, Gibby could waive the NTC. It would make sense if there’s a team in win now mode that could be a secondary trade partner, like how Nashville was when Colorado dealt Duchene to Ottawa. Maybe Dallas? They’re in their window now, and I can’t imagine they feel great about the age and health status of their goaltenders. And I’m sure Buffalo would love to get their hands on a younger guy like Oettinger, who fits their rebuilding timeline better. Maybe something like:

To Anaheim: Eichel, Ben Bishop

To Dallas: Gibson, ANA 3rd (2022)

To Buffalo: ANA 1st (2022 - protected), Lundestrom, Oettinger, LaCombe, DAL 2nd (2022), Kesler

Not that I think this particular trade would happen, but I do think there are trades out there that would make sense involving Gibson if there was a 3rd team involved.

59 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Definitely. But if Buffalo lines up another trade partner, Gibby could waive the NTC. It would make sense if there’s a team in win now mode that could be a secondary trade partner, like how Nashville was when Colorado dealt Duchene to Ottawa. Maybe Dallas? They’re in their window now, and I can’t imagine they feel great about the age and health status of their goaltenders. And I’m sure Buffalo would love to get their hands on a younger guy like Oettinger, who fits their rebuilding timeline better. Maybe something like:

To Buffalo: ANA 1st (2022 - protected), Lundestrom, Oettinger, LaCombe, DAL 2nd (2022), Kesler

Not that I think this particular trade would happen, but I do think there are trades out there that would make sense involving Gibson if there was a 3rd team involved.

That's a Big WHAT IF trade by the Ducks right there.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

59 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I see our Ducks fans are bored.....really bored....Hellooooo, is anybody alive in the office?

On 9/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, CharlieConway said:

None of the people I listed should warrant a NTC

Silf, Henrique and Shattenkirk? absolutely not. 

Lindholm and Raks? maybe a few years ago but certainly not at the moment. 

Gibson and Getzlaf are the only two players that warrant a NTC as it stands.  

Yeah, the market doesn't agree with your assessment.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I see our Ducks fans are bored.....really bored....Hellooooo, is anybody alive in the office?

Yes, they're trying to trade for a top center without giving up the farm.

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Yes, they're trying to trade for a top center without giving up the farm.

Our Ducks are in abit of holding Pattern...heck I made vid on it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

man I got so excited when this off-season started with new assistant coaches....

I'm excited to see how Z and Drysdale improve and whatever other prospects come up and show what they've got. And I'm very curious to see how much, if at all, off last season was for Rico and Silfv and Rakell and others. What a potentially healthy Lindholm and Manson could be (fingers crossed) with the new assistants. And how Comtois continues to grow.

I'd still be excited for Eichel (with proper assets staying here, obviously). I think he'll be fine after the surgery and he'll like living in SoCal and playing with someone like Z.

I don't think BM thinks this is a playoff team at all. But I do think he thinks he's built a young team he wants to see grow and also is REALLY waiting to do anything till Eichel is resolved.

Training camp must start in less than 2 weeks and I cannot remember ever being less excited about the start of Ducks hockey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nieder said:

Training camp must start in less than 2 weeks and I cannot remember ever being less excited about the start of Ducks hockey.

Last season, season before last season. I think maybe the last time I was excited about a season was the last season with Boudreau. Then came Carlyle and the end...lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Our Ducks are in abit of holding Pattern...heck I made vid on it.

True, but that's different than "deciding to do nothing" which is referenced by many in many threads... daily.

Edited by gotchabari
Clarifying

3 hours ago, nieder said:

I think I was less excited last season - we didn't know whether or not we'd get to see Zegras and Drysdale.  This season, we get to watch those two do fun things.  We also get to see Getzlaf set some franchise records, which he deserves.

The rest of the team, however, is not exciting.

4 hours ago, nieder said:

I think I was less excited last year haha and in comparison probably most excited start of 2006? While not as exciting as some past seasons I like finding things to be excited about and focus on those. At least right now it's essentially Schrodinger's Duck. The things that are different and new could go either way. And just to see which way they go will be at least interesting lol

I am hopeful Zegras and Drysdale can provide some sort of excitement throughout the season. It's just that I've been turned into a total pessimist when it comes to this team. All I can think of when it comes to those two is how they could spend the whole year developing losing habits under an overwhelmed coach who has never finished with a point% over .500 in an organization that doesn't care anymore. The idea of it has got a very pungent pre-McDavid Oilers stink to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

I am hopeful Zegras and Drysdale can provide some sort of excitement throughout the season. It's just that I've been turned into a total pessimist when it comes to this team. All I can think of when it comes to those two is how they could spend the whole year developing losing habits under an overwhelmed coach who has never finished with a point% over .500 in an organization that doesn't care anymore. The idea of it has got a very pungent pre-McDavid Oilers stink to it. 

Ducks stay the course with the youth over the years...I am not pessimist but hopeful the Youth will inherit their roles and Light the Spark in our Ducks Fighting Spirit.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Drysdale should really be in juniors this year. He didn't play enough games with the Gulls last season to qualify with whatever the agreement was with the NHL. The Ducks have no immediate need for him to be in Anaheim with the team being as bad as it is. Zergras should spend a good amount of time in San Diego to work on his game. Again, there is no immediate need for him to be in Anaheim. There isn't any point in ruining the future to put a few more butts in the seats in the present.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Drysdale should really be in juniors this year. He didn't play enough games with the Gulls last season to qualify with whatever the agreement was with the NHL. The Ducks have no immediate need for him to be in Anaheim with the team being as bad as it is. Zergras should spend a good amount of time in San Diego to work on his game. Again, there is no immediate need for him to be in Anaheim. There isn't any point in ruining the future to put a few more butts in the seats in the present.

Agreed! Let’s suck as hard as possible and not rush/ruin prospects.

40 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Last I heard this agreement has not been finalized, and that it's likely there will be exceptions for players like Drysdale who played a substantial number of both AHL and NHL games.

And if Drysdale is one of the best 6 or 7 D-men in the organization coming out of training camp, why not keep him with the Big Club. There's no reason to give him top-4 minutes if he's not ready for them, but having him play sheltered 3rd pair minutes and PP would be just fine. I think 15 minutes of E/S TOI/game with a heavy emphasis on O-zone starts would be great for his development, and is probably what the Ducks should have done with Fowler all those years ago instead of having Fowler play 22+ mins/game. The big question though is who will play with Drysdale on a 3rd pair. For the love of all things holy, it better not be Larsson.

Edited by dtsdlaw

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Last I heard this agreement has not been finalized, and that it's likely there will be exceptions for players like Drysdale who played a substantial number of both AHL and NHL games.

And if Drysdale is one of the best 6 or 7 D-men in the organization coming out of training camp, why not keep him with the Big Club. There's no reason to give him top-4 minutes if he's not ready for them, but having him play sheltered 3rd pair minutes and PP would be just fine. I think 15 minutes of E/S TOI/game with a heavy emphasis on O-zone starts would be great for his development, and is probably what the Ducks should have done with Fowler all those years ago instead of having Fowler play 22+ mins/game. The big question though is who will play with Drysdale on a 3rd pair. For the love of all things holy, it better not be Larsson.

You know who would be great for Drysdale on that third pairing?  Haydn Fleury.  He's a big, but mobile left-hander.  He's got plenty of games under his belt so he can provide a stabilizing presence.  He's...wait, what's that you say?  No longer with the team?  But surely we wouldn't have given away a young, cheap defenseman with upside?  

Thanks, Bob.  Maybe let's just put Deslauriers back there instead, since he was worth protecting.

In seriousness, I could see Drysdale spending some time in the AHL to refine certain parts of his game, but there's no reason to send him back to juniors if the Ducks can avoid it.  And Zegras clearly is ready to develop at the NHL level.

Edited by Gorbachav55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

You know who would be great for Drysdale on that third pairing?  Haydn Fleury.  He's a big, but mobile left-hander.  He's got plenty of games under his belt so he can provide a stabilizing presence.  He's...wait, what's that you say?  No longer with the team?  But surely we wouldn't have given away a young, cheap defenseman with upside?  

Thanks, Bob.  Maybe let's just put Deslauriers back there instead, since he was worth protecting.

In seriousness, I could see Drysdale spending some time in the AHL to refine certain parts of his game, but there's no reason to send him back to juniors if the Ducks can avoid it.  And Zegras clearly is ready to develop at the NHL level.

Fleury is currently 4th or 5th on Seattle's LHD depth chart behind Oleksiak, Giordano, Soucy and perhaps Dunn. It would be very Bob Murray to give up more assets to reacquire him. If he did, I wouldn't hate on it too much if it were for the right price. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Fleury is currently 4th or 5th on Seattle's LHD depth chart behind Oleksiak, Giordano, Soucy and perhaps Dunn. It would be very Bob Murray to give up more assets to reacquire him. If he did, I wouldn't hate on it too much if it were for the right price. 

I figure Dunn is playing the right side behind Larsson.  And I would put Fleury just behind Oleksiak and just ahead of Soucy.  Plus there's the brother thing, although I don't think that means a whole lot (Ron Francis was the GM in Carolina when Eric Staal was traded away from Jordan).  

All that to say, I see Fleury being a pretty solid lock for their third pairing and probably not up for sale for a price that Murray wants to pay.  I think that bird has flown, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gorbachav55 said:

I figure Dunn is playing the right side behind Larsson.  And I would put Fleury just behind Oleksiak and just ahead of Soucy.  Plus there's the brother thing, although I don't think that means a whole lot (Ron Francis was the GM in Carolina when Eric Staal was traded away from Jordan).  

All that to say, I see Fleury being a pretty solid lock for their third pairing and probably not up for sale for a price that Murray wants to pay.  I think that bird has flown, unfortunately.

Sadly that is true.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/8/2021 at 2:24 PM, gotchabari said:

Yeah, the market doesn't agree with your assessment.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses

How many teams have more NTC / NMC  than the Ducks? not many. 

Lets look at the actual good franchises when wanting to emulate the market. 

Avalanche - Kadri, MacK, Johnson, Landeskog. 

The only bad NTC here is Johnson (who is much better than Shattenkirk) and the rest are all top 6 talent / elite. 

Lightning - Bogosian, Hedman, Kucherov, Stamkos, Vas, Palat, Killorn, Perry, Maroon, McDonagh, 

Everyone here outside of Killorn (who is better than both Silf and Henrique) is either a top 6 f / top 4 d-man OR on a sweetheart contract.

Bruins, Knights, Caps, Pens are also pretty much similar to the above. (1, maybe 2 questionable NTC)

The Ducks NTC feature Henrique (5.8M), Silf (5.2), Getzlaf. Bottom 6 forwards at best and only one has actually accomplished anything of note with this team. 

Shattenkirk is god awful and was worse than a handful of D-man who would've signed for cheap and wouldn't require a NTC.  

The Ducks simply don't know how to use NTC / NMC and should probably follow the Devils and only use it to attract ELITE d-man, not scrubs who are carried by Victor Hedman during a playoff run. 

Edited by CharlieConway

On 9/9/2021 at 12:22 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Beauchemin 2.0

On 9/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, nieder said:

Training Camp aka Gathering of the Ducks in 2 Weeks I am sure we are going to see ALOT of Youth eager to earn a spot on Ducks Roster.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck