The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

A lot of ifs in this post but let's say if the leafs don't win The Cup this year, they're gonna have to change some things up.
I'm guessing barrie walks for starters. Ceci and Dermott need to be re-signed / let go. They will be without a bottom 6.

If we could get them to bite on Manson would you do it for Nylander? I know we need a C but Nylander is an exciting young player who can make plays and he has a pretty good contract. No idea what this would mean for the expansion draft but if we could make that work would the leafs do it? They get a physical top 4 D man on a good contract and additional cap space to help them fill out their bottom 6.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:08 AM, DucksFan_08 said:

A lot of ifs in this post but let's say if the leafs don't win The Cup this year, they're gonna have to change some things up.
I'm guessing barrie walks for starters. Ceci and Dermott need to be re-signed / let go. They will be without a bottom 6.

If we could get them to bite on Manson would you do it for Nylander? I know we need a C but Nylander is an exciting young player who can make plays and he has a pretty good contract. No idea what this would mean for the expansion draft but if we could make that work would the leafs do it? They get a physical top 4 D man on a good contract and additional cap space to help them fill out their bottom 6.

A trade that brings a primo scoring winger at a young age I’m all for. Either Zergas in the system and a potential top pick this summer, we could address our center position immediately. We could win the draft lottery and draft a guy ready to go now, usually the #1-2 guys are ready. Then if Murray goes out and makes a splash in free agency like some are saying he said he might and manages to get Pietrangelo, we get what we need at forward and upgrade Manson at the same time. Everyone shakes off this years funk and the prospects/kids finally break out. We could see a complete 180 as early as next year. But most likely after the ED. But players like Pietrangelo don’t go to FA very often. We need to take a swing.

What do you guys think about trying to pull in Rantanen? It's not going to be cheap by any means...but apparently, somehow, he's not signed yet????

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 2:07 AM, Jasoaks said:

What do you guys think about trying to pull in Rantanen? It's not going to be cheap by any means...but apparently, somehow, he's not signed yet????

Rantanen as in Colorado's Mikko Rantanen? Because he's signed through 2025.

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Rantanen as in Colorado's Mikko Rantanen? Because he's signed through 2025.

....yeah....that makes waaaay more sense that he's signed lol ...i can't even find the article that listed the top UFAs that had him listed

anyway. yep! nevermind haha

let's keep the focus of hope on Pietrangelo!

With regards to the Ducks defence, any chance we see BM go after anybody? I see Vatanen is a UFA and Montour is RFA but might be getting shopped. It would be neat to see them back in Ducks uniforms since they had decent success here. Manson, Fowler, Lindholm, Djoos, and Curran should be big club players, it will be interesting to see who fills the 6-7 slots.

Money will probably get in the way of any imaginary proposals lol. Not sure if some of our older UfA guys like del zotto will be coming back or let go, and replaced with a Mahura etc. Apparently there are decent odds that larsson doesnt get qualified to make cap room, but even after that it looks tight.

Just an interesting thought!

i don't think we'll be in the market until after the expansion draft.

aside from that, i'd like to see Vats back I think.  i haven't followed his stats much, and i think he's injury prone with the shoulder unfortunately.  Monty, not sure.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fisix said:

aside from that, i'd like to see Vats back I think.  i haven't followed his stats much, and i think he's injury prone with the shoulder unfortunately.  Monty, not sure.

Would not mind Ducks take a shot in signing some FA's...Matt Nieto would not hurt and Erik Haula.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Makes sense. 
Now that you mention it i do remember vatanen having some injury bugs, especially with the shoulder. I mention these guys only for the fact that I was super attached to them as Ducks lol. Monty is from my hometown and is a known name here, Vatanen remains the only duck I have met in person.
Knowing Murray, he will probably wait to reel in bigger fish until after the Seattle poaching is out of the way

17 hours ago, foxtrot1128 said:

Makes sense. 
Now that you mention it i do remember vatanen having some injury bugs, especially with the shoulder. I mention these guys only for the fact that I was super attached to them as Ducks lol. Monty is from my hometown and is a known name here, Vatanen remains the only duck I have met in person.
Knowing Murray, he will probably wait to reel in bigger fish until after the Seattle poaching is out of the way

Hopefully they won't do what they do for VGK...give them all the tools to reach SCF.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

i suppose the smart thing would be to sort out the big fish among the team NOW, before the ED, but distribute it out so that Seattle doesn't get to steal as good a team as Vegas.

so, it's not out of the realm of possibility for us to get some new high end expensive blood... but we'll absolutely lose stuff in the trade.

do we cut a few decent D for a stellar F?  Cam or Lindholm for Mitch Marner?  We know what we're missing, and we know what the Leafs are missing, and we know what both of us can protect in the ED.  It's not rocket science.

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

i suppose the smart thing would be to sort out the big fish among the team NOW, before the ED, but distribute it out so that Seattle doesn't get to steal as good a team as Vegas.

so, it's not out of the realm of possibility for us to get some new high end expensive blood... but we'll absolutely lose stuff in the trade.

do we cut a few decent D for a stellar F?  Cam or Lindholm for Mitch Marner?  We know what we're missing, and we know what the Leafs are missing, and we know what both of us can protect in the ED.  It's not rocket science.

Of course not it's trying not to lose good player in ED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/14/2020 at 6:28 PM, Fisix said:

Yeah, I think that Murray has until next year's trade deadline to position himself for the Expansion Draft but the Ducks are in a much better position than they were when Vegas came in. Of course, that's due in large part that we don't nearly have the amount of quality players to protect this time around. I'd rather move a quality defensemen for high picks than for Marner-esque player at this point (even if were possible that we could land a high-end player). The Ducks are missing ALOT and adding additional picks, especially 1st rounders, should be a priority especially for the 2022 draft. Bite the bullet in the short-term and load up for the future.

34 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I think that Murray has until next year's trade deadline to position himself for the Expansion Draft but the Ducks are in a much better position than they were when Vegas came in. Of course, that's due in large part that we don't nearly have the amount of quality players to protect this time around. I'd rather move a quality defensemen for high picks than for Marner-esque player at this point (even if were possible that we could land a high-end player). The Ducks are missing ALOT and adding additional picks, especially 1st rounders, should be a priority especially for the 2022 draft. Bite the bullet in the short-term and load up for the future.

the only reason why i don't agree is because Mitch (and other NHL players) is a known good and can make an impact on the NHL team now, whereas the high pics are just unknown chaff that'll have to go through the sausage making machine before they play at the Pond.  Gibson is young, but he's not wait around for 2020 or 2021 picks to mature-young.

4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

the only reason why i don't agree is because Mitch (and other NHL players) is a known good and can make an impact on the NHL team now, whereas the high pics are just unknown chaff that'll have to go through the sausage making machine before they play at the Pond.  Gibson is young, but he's not wait around for 2020 or 2021 picks to mature-young.

Yeah, I agree that a player like Marner improves the Ducks now, but I can't see where it's to the degree that the Ducks window to make the playoffs, let alone contend, opens back up by adding him. They were the 5th worst scoring team in the NHL. That's an awful lot of ground to cover. My other issue is, who is he going to play with down the road? Getzlaf is 35, Henrique will be 31 next season, Rakell will be a UFA in 2022 and Steel, Terry Jones, Comtois have yet to, and may not make the necessary impacts that the Ducks need to become good again. Zegras is likely going to need a couple of seasons before we see what he can become. The drop off after Zegras in the pipeline I think is pretty notable and after him, I think the next best overall prospect that we have is Dostal. The Ducks aren't going anywhere unless they really bolster their prospect pool with more high end players. The upcoming draft will help and maybe Murray will make a bold move such as trying to get the 8th overall pick or moving up like he tried to do last year to get Krebs. Those are the kinds of moves that I hope to see and think we'll need to make going forward. If we did that and then get a top-5 pick in 2022, which might be the next 2003 super draft, then I think we'd have the foundation in place to contend again. The 2022 draft is going to be hyped up the wazoo.

I feel so bad for Gibson after what the Ducks have subjected him to for the last 2 + seasons, especially his workload. Maybe he regrets signing that 8-year extension but hopefully he has enough faith and patience in the organization to ride this out. If he wants to stay with the Ducks, then I don't think he has a choice lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I agree that a player like Marner improves the Ducks now, but I can't see where it's to the degree that the Ducks window to make the playoffs, let alone contend, opens back up by adding him. They were the 5th worst scoring team in the NHL. That's an awful lot of ground to cover. My other issue is, who is he going to play with down the road? Getzlaf is 35, Henrique will be 31 next season, Rakell will be a UFA in 2022 and Steel, Terry Jones, Comtois have yet to, and may not make the necessary impacts that the Ducks need to become good again. Zegras is likely going to need a couple of seasons before we see what he can become. The drop off after Zegras in the pipeline I think is pretty notable and after him, I think the next best overall prospect that we have is Dostal. The Ducks aren't going anywhere unless they really bolster their prospect pool with more high end players. The upcoming draft will help and maybe Murray will make a bold move such as trying to get the 8th overall pick or moving up like he tried to do last year to get Krebs. Those are the kinds of moves that I hope to see and think we'll need to make going forward. If we did that and then get a top-5 pick in 2022, which might be the next 2003 super draft, then I think we'd have the foundation in place to contend again. The 2022 draft is going to be hyped up the wazoo.

I feel so bad for Gibson after what the Ducks have subjected him to for the last 2 + seasons, especially his workload. Maybe he regrets signing that 8-year extension but hopefully he has enough faith and patience in the organization to ride this out. If he wants to stay with the Ducks, then I don't think he has a choice lol.

Well he can always phone Giggy...ask him how he deal with being relied on too much.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDUck

On 7/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

the only thing is that I think with Mitch, or a young super-star-ish player like him, all of a sudden I think it becomes easier to be a contender in the UFA hunts.  still not enough for someone to take a pay hit to come to Anaheim, but markedly better than we look right now.  plus, i'm wondering about Mitch, Max, and TT on the same line?  Getz, RR, and Silf or Hank on another?  I don't think I've matched the players right, but i think you start to see some possibilities?

Gibson - he's super valuable based on his contract and his performance over the past 2 years... so i feel bad that we can't get him more championship and post season play, but it's not like he's looking bad in the interim.  i hope he can stay healthy past the end of his current contract - if he can, he'll get paid no matter what, and he'll probably be able to decide which SC-bound team he wants to play for.

can get get a Mitch, or a young super-star-ish player like him, without losing Gibby?  

22 hours ago, Fisix said:

the only thing is that I think with Mitch, or a young super-star-ish player like him, all of a sudden I think it becomes easier to be a contender in the UFA hunts.  still not enough for someone to take a pay hit to come to Anaheim, but markedly better than we look right now.  plus, i'm wondering about Mitch, Max, and TT on the same line?  Getz, RR, and Silf or Hank on another?  I don't think I've matched the players right, but i think you start to see some possibilities?

Gibson - he's super valuable based on his contract and his performance over the past 2 years... so i feel bad that we can't get him more championship and post season play, but it's not like he's looking bad in the interim.  i hope he can stay healthy past the end of his current contract - if he can, he'll get paid no matter what, and he'll probably be able to decide which SC-bound team he wants to play for.

can get get a Mitch, or a young super-star-ish player like him, without losing Gibby?  

Maybe, but I think the two things that attract UFA's more than anything are 1) money and 2) a legitimate chance to contend for a cup. With the Ducks not being big free agency spenders (they'd get theoretically get Marner via trade) and clearly rebuilding, I don't think adding Marner changes either of those things because the rest of the roster can't really support him. In Toronto, Marner is paired with Matthews or Tavares and not an aging Getzlaf or Henrique. Pairing him with Terry (I'm assuming Terry shifts to Center) and Comtois assumes that both of those guys are going to take considerable leaps and will able to compliment him. As of now, I wouldn't bet on that happening. Once the Ducks have a capable new core of players, then I am all for looking at signing impact FA's to help make deep playoff runs. Of course, this all assumes that a young, super star player like Marner is even available. I don't think he is and players of his caliber aren't traded very often...unless Peter Chiarelli is your GM. A Marner would likely cost the Ducks a top defensemen, a quality prospect and a high draft pick which the Ducks don't have an excess of. If a top-end player is available for a trade, I'd be more worried about LA getting them because they the pieces to make it work without really hurting their talent pool.

As far as Gibson goes, I don't know if his trade value would be enough to land a superstar player. Freddie Andersen, who is one of the better goalies in the league, got the us a late first and 2nd round pick back in 2016. That said, I don't think there is any realistic offer that I would take for Gibson at this point and would only consider moving him if he tries to force his way out of Anaheim. We have a franchise-caliber goalie for the next seven years (knock on wood for the injury Gods), during which I'd like to think we will be able to put together another solid team to give him a chance at the Cup.

well... i haven't been keeping tabs, honestly, but i think Toronto is going to have to move someone big to free up cap space, and Mitch is the player that'll move the most in one go. 

while i think nylander is very tradeable skills-wise, his cap hit/performance isn't as good as mitch's (nylander's contract is too expensive), and even if they are able to shift his entire salary over to a new team, they're still well over the cap at that point (i'm seeing $95M as their current cap hit?).  

it'll hurt a bit getting Mitch, but that's not a surprise.

you should be more optimistic about TT and MaxC!  :)

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

well... i haven't been keeping tabs, honestly, but i think Toronto is going to have to move someone big to free up cap space, and Mitch is the player that'll move the most in one go. 

while i think nylander is very tradeable skills-wise, his cap hit/performance isn't as good as mitch's (nylander's contract is too expensive), and even if they are able to shift his entire salary over to a new team, they're still well over the cap at that point (i'm seeing $95M as their current cap hit?).  

it'll hurt a bit getting Mitch, but that's not a surprise.

you should be more optimistic about TT and MaxC!  :)

I think nylander would be more likely to get moved to help resolve their cap issues, but still don’t think the Ducks should make a play for him either. The timing just isn’t right for to make a blockbuster acquisition. Load up on picks and hope that we crush it at the next couple of drafts.

With Terry and Comtois, I think they should be decent players and will have rolls on the Ducks. As far as them being 1st liners or even 2nd line locks, I think there’s quite a bit of development needed if they are going to get there. If either of them are reliable 30-35 point guys then that’s pretty good value, imo.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think nylander would be more likely to get moved to help resolve their cap issues, but still don’t think the Ducks should make a play for him either. The timing just isn’t right for to make a blockbuster acquisition. Load up on picks and hope that we crush it at the next couple of drafts.

With Terry and Comtois, I think they should be decent players and will have rolls on the Ducks. As far as them being 1st liners or even 2nd line locks, I think there’s quite a bit of development needed if they are going to get there. If either of them are reliable 30-35 point guys then that’s pretty good value, imo.

Good Point I have faith that both will turn out well for our Ducks if right guidiance and mentoring form Dallas can help them both become who we expect them to be in pretty much reliable Goal Scorers.....However We should not rule out Ducks signing some Vets to help with the Development. Like...Erik Haula or Trade for Kapanen.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

23 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Good Point I have faith that both will turn out well for our Ducks if right guidiance and mentoring form Dallas can help them both become who we expect them to be in pretty much reliable Goal Scorers.....However We should not rule out Ducks signing some Vets to help with the Development. Like...Erik Haula or Trade for Kapanen.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think that they can be reliable role players but I'm not expecting them to shoulder the offensive burden in the future. Any trade of significance for the next while should be primarily focused on loading up the prospect pool as much as possible, IMO. If done well enough, then we can start moving excess pieces and assets to bolster the roster with more established NHLers.

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that they can be reliable role players but I'm not expecting them to shoulder the offensive burden in the future. Any trade of significance for the next while should be primarily focused on loading up the prospect pool as much as possible, IMO. If done well enough, then we can start moving excess pieces and assets to bolster the roster with more established NHLers.

Good Point if we all our History well of our Anaheim Ducks they like to as I say "Develop Within".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

So let's assume Edmonton loses this game and goes on to win the lottery (of course).

John Gibson + the Bruins' 1st for the 1st overall

Who says no?  And why?

That's too Much...and Big NO...Why would Ducks trade to their biggest Rival and one of their Enemies.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Because Edmonton needs a goalie, the Ducks have one coming up in their system (Dostal), and the Ducks badly need elite scoring talent. I love John Gibson, but I would do that trade.  I think Edmonton would probably insist on the #6 pick instead of Boston's, and I still might do that. 

I don't think any of the other potential lottery winners need a goaltender that badly.  Or at least not a goaltender over an elite forward.  If Toronto wins it, I could see them potentially dealing the #1 overall for Hampus + 6th overall, but I think every other team would probably gladly take Lafraniere.  

I have hopes that if Toronto wins it we could make a trade (maybe not for the #1, but for one of their Marners/Nylanders) that wouldn't involve our #6...

I wouldn't do the Gibson trade, but that's MOSTLY 'cause I just don't know much about Dostal. Gibson is world class and that is what's missing there. Edmonton would become (even with their issues on D) the team to beat in the NHL. If Dostal doesn't work out...then we just become the southern california Oilers. Gibson gives us a fighting chance to be better a lot sooner.

Also my question would be how much of a difference is the talent of the #1 from the #6 in this draft? I know there would be some, but I would imagine the impact difference between #1 and #6 isn't greater than the impact of Gibson. So I would imagine Gibson + 2020 #6 overall is overall GREATER than 2020 #1 overall + Dostal.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I have hopes that if Toronto wins it we could make a trade (maybe not for the #1, but for one of their Marners/Nylanders) that wouldn't involve our #6...

I wouldn't do the Gibson trade, but that's MOSTLY 'cause I just don't know much about Dostal. Gibson is world class and that is what's missing there. Edmonton would become (even with their issues on D) the team to beat in the NHL. If Dostal doesn't work out...then we just become the southern california Oilers. Gibson gives us a fighting chance to be better a lot sooner.

Also my question would be how much of a difference is the talent of the #1 from the #6 in this draft? I know there would be some, but I would imagine the impact difference between #1 and #6 isn't greater than the impact of Gibson. So I would imagine Gibson + 2020 #6 overall is overall GREATER than 2020 #1 overall + Dostal.

I think Lindholm might be in play. He only has 2 years left on his contract, and his longtime GF is now working for ESPN on the East Coast. If she stays there, I don't see him resigning once he hits UFA status. I would offer Lindholm, the #6 pick (assuming Murray has some insight who that might be, sans Drysdale) and maybe a Jones/Steel for Jack Eichel in Buffalo. He has zero trade protection, has another 7 years on his contract, and is only 23 years old. We would immediately have our future #1C, pencil in Zegras as #2, and round out the top 4 with Henrique and Getz. 

• Like 2