The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

19 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I think Lindholm might be in play. He only has 2 years left on his contract, and his longtime GF is now working for ESPN on the East Coast. If she stays there, I don't see him resigning once he hits UFA status. I would offer Lindholm, the #6 pick (assuming Murray has some insight who that might be, sans Drysdale) and maybe a Jones/Steel for Jack Eichel in Buffalo. He has zero trade protection, has another 7 years on his contract, and is only 23 years old. We would immediately have our future #1C, pencil in Zegras as #2, and round out the top 4 with Henrique and Getz. 

Yeah, I mean, that trade makes a lot of sense to me, too. And I think you may be right about Lindholm....

But I can't imagine Eichel being upset with the losing atmosphere in Buffalo exactly excited about entering the...losing atmosphere in Anaheim lol but we may have a sooner upside than the Sabers.

Although with Eichel wanting out...I think Murray could find a way to keep the #6... Linholm + Steel/Jones + 6th for a former #2 not playing like a former #2 that wants out??...Lindholm (former #6) + Steel AND Jones I'd say should be enough haha

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Because Edmonton needs a goalie, the Ducks have one coming up in their system (Dostal), and the Ducks badly need elite scoring talent. I love John Gibson, but I would do that trade.  I think Edmonton would probably insist on the #6 pick instead of Boston's, and I still might do that. 

I don't think any of the other potential lottery winners need a goaltender that badly.  Or at least not a goaltender over an elite forward.  If Toronto wins it, I could see them potentially dealing the #1 overall for Hampus + 6th overall, but I think every other team would probably gladly take Lafraniere.  

I would hold you to that....IF Ducks pull this off then World will be spinning backwards. Also I rather have Ducks trade Gibson to East Coast NHL Team then to one of our enemies.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, dukitup said:

I think Lindholm might be in play. He only has 2 years left on his contract, and his longtime GF is now working for ESPN on the East Coast. If she stays there, I don't see him resigning once he hits UFA status. I would offer Lindholm, the #6 pick (assuming Murray has some insight who that might be, sans Drysdale) and maybe a Jones/Steel for Jack Eichel in Buffalo. He has zero trade protection, has another 7 years on his contract, and is only 23 years old. We would immediately have our future #1C, pencil in Zegras as #2, and round out the top 4 with Henrique and Getz. 

he'd be good for either a Toronto trade or a #1-2 1st round pick if we could sneak that in.  otherwise... not sure it matters about coasts and stuff.  they both travel endlessly, outside the quarantimes.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, gorbachav5 said:

So let's assume Edmonton loses this game and goes on to win the lottery (of course).

John Gibson + the Bruins' 1st for the 1st overall

Who says no?  And why?

I think in your follow up post where the Ducks give up the 6th overall and Gibson is more in the ballpark to get the first overall pick, assuming whoever wins the draft lottery would be willing it. I don't think that goalies, even one as good as Gibson, have extremely high trade values, which is why the 6th overall would need to be involved. Patrick Roy was a star and got a return of Jocelyn Thiabult, Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko in the famous Colorado trade! I like Dostal and hope that he his able to come over to North America sometime this season and in 2-3 years, we have another Gibson/Andersen situation on our hands. If Dostal is the real deal, then trading Gibson, possibly in 2022, when the league finances should be stronger and that draft class looks to be absolutely loaded may be a better move, IMO. So, I wouldn't trade Gibson at this point but its likely moot because I think the odds are overwhelming that the pick won't be on the trading block or that the Murray would attempt to trade for it if was lol.

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I mean, that trade makes a lot of sense to me, too. And I think you may be right about Lindholm....

But I can't imagine Eichel being upset with the losing atmosphere in Buffalo exactly excited about entering the...losing atmosphere in Anaheim lol but we may have a sooner upside than the Sabers.

Although with Eichel wanting out...I think Murray could find a way to keep the #6... Linholm + Steel/Jones + 6th for a former #2 not playing like a former #2 that wants out??...Lindholm (former #6) + Steel AND Jones I'd say should be enough haha

I very much agree with the bolded. Not sure why Eichel would be happy to go to a rebuilding Anaheim team that is worse than the Buffalo team that he is currently on. He wants to be in the playoffs now and the Ducks don't provide him a great chance to do that. If there were a theoretical trade to be made for Eichel, I don't think there's any chance that the Ducks could get him without the 6th overall pick AND Zegras being involved.

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think in your follow up post where the Ducks give up the 6th overall and Gibson is more in the ballpark to get the first overall pick, assuming whoever wins the draft lottery would be willing it. I don't think that goalies, even one as good as Gibson, have extremely high trade values, which is why the 6th overall would need to be involved. Patrick Roy was a star and got a return of Jocelyn Thiabult, Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko in the famous Colorado trade! I like Dostal and hope that he his able to come over to North America sometime this season and in 2-3 years, we have another Gibson/Andersen situation on our hands. If Dostal is the real deal, then trading Gibson, possibly in 2022, when the league finances should be stronger and that draft class looks to be absolutely loaded may be a better move, IMO. So, I wouldn't trade Gibson at this point but its likely moot because I think the odds are overwhelming that the pick won't be on the trading block or that the Murray would attempt to trade for it if was lol.

I very much agree with the bolded. Not sure why Eichel would be happy to go to a rebuilding Anaheim team that is worse than the Buffalo team that he is currently on. He wants to be in the playoffs now and the Ducks don't provide him a great chance to do that. If there were a theoretical trade to be made for Eichel, I don't think there's any chance that the Ducks could get him without the 6th overall pick AND Zegras being involved.

Whether or not he is happy with the trade is a mute point (imo) since he has zero trade protection. I'm sure his angst coming to Anaheim can be tempered with a stroll along Newport Beach. There's also a 10M contract that is freed up for Buffalo, that is sitting right up against the cap with some contracts coming due.  I think Lindholm, #6 and a player to be named NOT named Zegras is sufficient. If not, then no deal.

3 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Whether or not he is happy with the trade is a mute point (imo) since he has zero trade protection. I'm sure his angst coming to Anaheim can be tempered with a stroll along Newport Beach. There's also a 10M contract that is freed up for Buffalo, that is sitting right up against the cap with some contracts coming due.  I think Lindholm, #6 and a player to be named NOT named Zegras is sufficient. If not, then no deal.

Yeah, he has no trade protection but I don't think it's a moot point, because if he's unhappy going to a bad Anaheim team then he could simply force another trade out of town. Jeff Carter did not want to get traded to Columbus from Phily, made it known, and got the Blue Jackets to trade him within half a season to LA. Though, my guess would be that Eichel would let a team wanting to trade for him know if he wouldn't be interested in going there and not to waste the time or assets on trading for him. 

If the Sabres do trade Eichel, then they are heading into a rebuild and are going to want young assets and picks to help them do that. The 6th overall pick (is nice but your odds of getting another Eichel are still very low) and Lindholm (who they would have to give a contract extension to soon or lose for nothing) I don't think gets you one of the premier centers in the NHL, who is only 23 years old and under contract for six more years. If I am Buffalo, then I am demanding Zegras in the trade. Luckily, it doesn't make much sense for the Ducks to trade for Eichel, all things considered, and there's no trade to be made, IMO.

Newport Beach is nice, but Eichel is from the east coast and has clearly stated that he wants to play in the playoffs. If he wants to live near California beaches, then why not LA? They actually have the assets to trade for him and would still have a top-3 prospect pool even after doing so. To be clear, I don't think LA should make a trade or that Eichel would want to go there, but just that LA has a stronger trade position in terms of assets than the Ducks do to make a trade happen.

22 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Because Edmonton needs a goalie, the Ducks have one coming up in their system (Dostal), and the Ducks badly need elite scoring talent. I love John Gibson, but I would do that trade.  I think Edmonton would probably insist on the #6 pick instead of Boston's, and I still might do that. 

I don't think any of the other potential lottery winners need a goaltender that badly.  Or at least not a goaltender over an elite forward.  If Toronto wins it, I could see them potentially dealing the #1 overall for Hampus + 6th overall, but I think every other team would probably gladly take Lafraniere.  

Do you really think any team would trade the #1 overall? Even if it's edmonton or toronto.If Lafraniere is as good as people say he is why not keep him for 3 years? Sure edmonton has McDavid and Draisaitl and toronto has Matthews and Tavares but they'd be have sick depth down the middle.
I hope it's Florida or Minnesota. Those teams need him the most.

43 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, he has no trade protection but I don't think it's a moot point, because if he's unhappy going to a bad Anaheim team then he could simply force another trade out of town. Jeff Carter did not want to get traded to Columbus from Phily, made it known, and got the Blue Jackets to trade him within half a season to LA. Though, my guess would be that Eichel would let a team wanting to trade for him know if he wouldn't be interested in going there and not to waste the time or assets on trading for him. 

If the Sabres do trade Eichel, then they are heading into a rebuild and are going to want young assets and picks to help them do that. The 6th overall pick (is nice but your odds of getting another Eichel are still very low) and Lindholm (who they would have to give a contract extension to soon or lose for nothing) I don't think gets you one of the premier centers in the NHL, who is only 23 years old and under contract for six more years. If I am Buffalo, then I am demanding Zegras in the trade. Luckily, it doesn't make much sense for the Ducks to trade for Eichel, all things considered, and there's no trade to be made, IMO.

Newport Beach is nice, but Eichel is from the east coast and has clearly stated that he wants to play in the playoffs. If he wants to live near California beaches, then why not LA? They actually have the assets to trade for him and would still have a top-3 prospect pool even after doing so. To be clear, I don't think LA should make a trade or that Eichel would want to go there, but just that LA has a stronger trade position in terms of assets than the Ducks do to make a trade happen.

I don't think they can afford another 10M contract. I don't see them moving Quick, Kopitar, Carter, Brown,  or Doughty. 

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't.  The chances are incredibly remote.  No team wants to give up a potential superstar who, at the very least, is a young, cheap asset for at least six years.

That said, it's fun to speculate since we've got nothing else to do.  If any team is going to trade that asset, it's the Oilers.  It won't happen, but it's fun to think about.

And the Rangers. They already have a solid group of wingers for their top-6 and I think they really need another top center more than a winger. I think it's 50/50 they move down. Maybe a swap with Ottawa to #3 or even #5. Ottawa could go the #3/5 + the Islanders pick + maybe someone like Tierney for Lafrienere, and the Rangers would walk away with some darn good players to fill in around their current core. I think it makes sense for Ottawa to make a move too. They have three 1st rounders and four 2nd rounders to play with, and they're desperate for some top-end forward talent.

If we end up with Drysdale, I think you have to have a long sit down about taking advantage of Toronto’s situation. They have to move one or two of Marner/Nylander/Kapanen/Tavares and some more. Idk about moving Manson without another RHD in the organization. But I think it’s a situation we absolutely need to try and get in on. 

17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't.  The chances are incredibly remote.  No team wants to give up a potential superstar who, at the very least, is a young, cheap asset for at least six years.

That said, it's fun to speculate since we've got nothing else to do.  If any team is going to trade that asset, it's the Oilers.  It won't happen, but it's fun to think about.

True. Now we know it's the rangers so that is that. But how about toronto?  In 2019 they lost to Boston. No shame in that. 2018 same story. Now Columbus in a different format but the result is the same. They can't be pleased. I don't know their cap situation next season but regardless of that perhaps they should be looking into shaking things up.

12 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If we end up with Drysdale, I think you have to have a long sit down about taking advantage of Toronto’s situation. They have to move one or two of Marner/Nylander/Kapanen/Tavares and some more. Idk about moving Manson without another RHD in the organization. But I think it’s a situation we absolutely need to try and get in on. 

I think whether the Ducks get Drysdale or not that you have to consider moving Manson going forward. I don’t see what trading for Nylander/Kapanen/Marner does in the long run. IMO, the Ducks still aren’t a playoff team with either of those guys. Certainly not even close to contending. It would be like putting a great paint job on a car that won’t take you 5 miles. The Ducks need an entire engine overhaul and the parts to do it which is what we hope to get in next 2-3 drafts 

48 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think whether the Ducks get Drysdale or not that you have to consider moving Manson going forward. I don’t see what trading for Nylander/Kapanen/Marner does in the long run. IMO, the Ducks still aren’t a playoff team with either of those guys. Certainly not even close to contending. It would be like putting a great paint job on a car that won’t take you 5 miles. The Ducks need an entire engine overhaul and the parts to do it which is what we hope to get in next 2-3 drafts 

oof.  that's puts us in the Dehydrated Donkey Dungter for 6 years?  

i think Marner would be great for us, and if we can get him here while Getz can teach the newb lines some stuff, all the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Of course adding one or two of those guys doesn’t magically fix the team. But adding Nylander then add Drysdale in the draft.  Zegras, Nylander, Drysdale which is pretty exciting. Then you have a veteran core of Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Gibson. Some potential in Steel, Comtois, Jones, Milano, Mahura, Tracey, Dostal, and more. Doesn’t fix the team over night, but it accelerates this teams rebuild drastically imo. 

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

oof.  that's puts us in the Dehydrated Donkey Dungter for 6 years?  

i think Marner would be great for us, and if we can get him here while Getz can teach the newb lines some stuff, all the better.

If we had prime years Getzlaf, putting up 70 pts or even his successor already playing for the Ducks then I think it’s a much different conversation. Getzlaf doesn’t have much time left in the league, so who would Marner then play with? He’s also been playing with Tavares and Matthews who are better than anything we have currently. 

49 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Of course adding one or two of those guys doesn’t magically fix the team. But adding Nylander then add Drysdale in the draft.  Zegras, Nylander, Drysdale which is pretty exciting. Then you have a veteran core of Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Gibson. Some potential in Steel, Comtois, Jones, Milano, Mahura, Tracey, Dostal, and more. Doesn’t fix the team over night, but it accelerates this teams rebuild drastically imo. 

Zegras and Drysdale are very nice pieces together for the rebuild, but I doubt that Drysdale will be in the NHL next year or even the year after that unless he’s Cale Makar/Quinn Hughes level good. Zegras probably spends most of this season in SD. So you are looking at two years from now under the good circumstances before they are playing on the Ducks together, when they will still be developing. By then you have Rakell and Lindholm’s contracts expiring and wanting much bigger paydays assuming they want to stay in Anaheim. Also, by the time you could maximize them with a nylander, you’d likely have to give another, more expensive contract to Nylander. Plus, the Ducks still need additional pieces to go along with Zegras and whoever we draft this year which is why I’d want us to load up on prospects that can help do that. 

Our veteran core isn’t good enough to carry the team and the young guys currently on the team haven’t shown they are able to carry the team going forward. I don’t see the need for making a major trade is necessary until they have shown they are able to do that.  
Otherwise, we are going to be spinning in circles longer than we have to, imo.

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If we had prime years Getzlaf, putting up 70 pts or even his successor already playing for the Ducks then I think it’s a much different conversation. Getzlaf doesn’t have much time left in the league, so who would Marner then play with? He’s also been playing with Tavares and Matthews who are better than anything we have currently. 

Zegras and Drysdale are very nice pieces together for the rebuild, but I doubt that Drysdale will be in the NHL next year or even the year after that unless he’s Cale Makar/Quinn Hughes level good. Zegras probably spends most of this season in SD. So you are looking at two years from now under the good circumstances before they are playing on the Ducks together, when they will still be developing. By then you have Rakell and Lindholm’s contracts expiring and wanting much bigger paydays assuming they want to stay in Anaheim. Also, by the time you could maximize them with a nylander, you’d likely have to give another, more expensive contract to Nylander. Plus, the Ducks still need additional pieces to go along with Zegras and whoever we draft this year which is why I’d want us to load up on prospects that can help do that. 

Our veteran core isn’t good enough to carry the team and the young guys currently on the team haven’t shown they are able to carry the team going forward. I don’t see the need for making a major trade is necessary until they have shown they are able to do that.  
Otherwise, we are going to be spinning in circles longer than we have to, imo.

I just don’t see the harm in adding a young 30 goal scorer for a piece we might move anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I just don’t see the harm in adding a young 30 goal scorer for a piece we might move anyway. 

I think my issue is that you are using an asset like Manson + to get Marner/nylander when it’s not going to move the needle and could be better used to bolster our prospect pool that can better grow and develop with guys like Zegras and Drysdale. Rebuilding teams have to primarily draft their way back to contention, when the Ducks have done that, then I think you explore and try to pull the trigger on a trade like this.

40 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

are they though?  they have good individual skills, granted, but team and line skills?  that's where Getz would come in.  and Marner is the one we could get that would learn.  Nylander i think is a total bust at his contract price.  marner isn't worth his either, yet, but i see upside there, especially if he gets traded into a situation with a veteran like Getz, even if only for a season or two.

4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think my issue is that you are using an asset like Manson + to get Marner/nylander when it’s not going to move the needle and could be better used to bolster our prospect pool that can better grow and develop with guys like Zegras and Drysdale. Rebuilding teams have to primarily draft their way back to contention, when the Ducks have done that, then I think you explore and try to pull the trigger on a trade like this.

the whole idea of our rebuild was for it to take a shorter amount of time.  i don't think BM has given that idea up, and we haven't mentioned 2 full veteran-ish lines on our team... 

so, if you're willing to take a digger for 6 years, then don't make any deals.  neither BM nor the ownership seem to be on board with that, and you really do want to overlap Getz with the next top liners - it's a horrible waste not to.

assuming we will trade for something worthwhile inside the next 6 years of draft and development, then Marner makes sense, and Manson ALSO makes sense based on his last two years of performance in anaheim.  they might ask for lindholm, but i don't think so - that'd be stupid on their part, given their cap situation.  they'll probably ask for Mahura... and that'd hurt.  but that's the sweetest deal for them - Manson and Mahura for Marner... it might happen.  and then, much of the rest of the forward roster is up for trades if needed.  we could even end up trading Kesler for someone else's cap issues - it's not like Kes is going to say no as he rides out the rest of his contract on IR.

can we get Marner and still do well in the ED?  i think so, especially if we drop two players we'd otherwise be protecting.

19 minutes ago, Fisix said:

the whole idea of our rebuild was for it to take a shorter amount of time.  i don't think BM has given that idea up, and we haven't mentioned 2 full veteran-ish lines on our team... 

so, if you're willing to take a digger for 6 years, then don't make any deals.  neither BM nor the ownership seem to be on board with that, and you really do want to overlap Getz with the next top liners - it's a horrible waste not to.

assuming we will trade for something worthwhile inside the next 6 years of draft and development, then Marner makes sense, and Manson ALSO makes sense based on his last two years of performance in anaheim.  they might ask for lindholm, but i don't think so - that'd be stupid on their part, given their cap situation.  they'll probably ask for Mahura... and that'd hurt.  but that's the sweetest deal for them - Manson and Mahura for Marner... it might happen.  and then, much of the rest of the forward roster is up for trades if needed.  we could even end up trading Kesler for someone else's cap issues - it's not like Kes is going to say no as he rides out the rest of his contract on IR.

can we get Marner and still do well in the ED?  i think so, especially if we drop two players we'd otherwise be protecting.

I don't doubt that Murra/Ownership thinks and wants a shorter rebuild, but unless we get a lottery pick and subsequently draft extremely well or we have some real hidden gems pan out, then the rebuild is likely to continue until that happens and the Ducks won't be contending. Probably after Murray is gone. Right now, we are only two years into it and still have a ways to go in the talent department and should see how things develop. Ownership also may not want to give big contracts to Lindholm, Rakell etc given the financial impact of Covid-19 or take on a significant contract in a trade.

The Ducks would still be fine in the ED, if they made a trade because they still wouldn't risk losing anyone of real consequence, at least that I can see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

We need to move a LHD that’s for sure. Depending on how the new guy and Djoos play Mahura makes sense. Toronto is also pretty set on the left side with Muzzin/Reilly. I’d even be happy with taking a flier on Kapanen. Doesn’t move the neeedle much, but your adding young talent to the roster. I don’t know if Drysdale is Quinn/Hughes level, but adding a top 4 RHD to a core of Lindholm/Fowler doesn’t not help. Idk. Just think we should at least consider making some calls to a desperate team with a glutton of riches on the front end of the teams 

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

We need to move a LHD that’s for sure. Depending on how the new guy and Djoos play Mahura makes sense. Toronto is also pretty set on the left side with Muzzin/Reilly. I’d even be happy with taking a flier on Kapanen. Doesn’t move the neeedle much, but your adding young talent to the roster. I don’t know if Drysdale is Quinn/Hughes level, but adding a top 4 RHD to a core of Lindholm/Fowler doesn’t not help. Idk. Just think we should at least consider making some calls to a desperate team with a glutton of riches on the front end of the teams 

I think all signs continue to point to Lindholm or possibly Fowler being traded by the expansion draft. We can almost field a baseball lineup with our current LHD, which is why I chuckle when I see a mock draft that has us taking Jake Sanderson. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

IMHO Ducks need to ask T.O if they want Manson then they need to give up Kapanen and Draft Pick. Also they need to get a Big Contract in return...IE Kesler.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think all signs continue to point to Lindholm or possibly Fowler being traded by the expansion draft. We can almost field a baseball lineup with our current LHD, which is why I chuckle when I see a mock draft that has us taking Jake Sanderson. 

Team would be dumb to move Lindholm/Fowler imo. 

23 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Team would be dumb to move Lindholm/Fowler imo. 

Why though? The Ducks aren't contending for a while and need assets for the rebuild. Moving one of those players helps you do that. My guess is it would most likely be Lindholm because of his contract. Teams trade good players all of the time when they are in the same position that Ducks are in. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Why though? The Ducks aren't contending for a while and need assets for the rebuild. Moving one of those players helps you do that. My guess is it would most likely be Lindholm because of his contract. Teams trade good players all of the time when they are in the same position that Ducks are in. 

I don’t understand this weird idea that you can only rebuild if you trade away literally everyone and everyone on your team has to be young. Lindholm and Fowler are Top 4 defensemen. Fowler is by far our most important player on the ice. They’ll be a little older when we’re back, but they can be vital pieces to this team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t understand this weird idea that you can only rebuild if you trade away literally everyone and everyone on your team has to be young. Lindholm and Fowler are Top 4 defensemen. Fowler is by far our most important player on the ice. They’ll be a little older when we’re back, but they can be vital pieces to this team. 

I have not advocated for trading everyone and in this case I said Lindholm or Fowler. You can't have a team of just rookies or young players and need some veterans to provide stability, leadership, mentorship etc. You can trade both Lindholm and Manson while still having Fowler and Gudbranson. You can trade Rakell and still have Getzlaf, Henrique and Silfverberg. Those guys can help with the new wave of young and hopefully higher end players that we'd get by making these trades and be vital pieces to the Ducks' future.

I don't think Getz is done after his contract is up. I imagine he's resigning and he'll still have more to give. I get the sense he's gonna be playing till his late 30s (and hopefully with us) and being a great leader and mentor to the team as he takes a lesser role on the ice. Legs are the first things to go...he's still gonna have some great hands to provide us.

If a great, young player is available now...I've always been on the side of it does not matter where you are in the standings, you take a swing for him (if he fills something you need). You don't wait till you're in some "cup window" to THEN grab pieces...how else are you going to get into a cup window? And there's no guarantee a player so capable of moving the needle will be available when the rest of the team is.

And I do mean young like under 25. Not talking like Tavares or Karlsson being available in their primes.

If Marner is on the trading block...we better be taking a swing.

• Like 1