The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

2018 UFA Watch

18 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
I thought I would start with a former Duck.

Andre Rufener, agent for UFA D-man Luca Sbisa, says they didn't get an offer from Vegas so they have hit the free-agent market...

And shall remain so...

Hell, as PS would be quick to point out, this is the exact type of veteran that BM would sign.

Sbisa 4x4.

It's not a Ducks third pairing unless you got stupid money involved!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Kevin WeekesVerified account @KevinWeekes

Through this Courting Period for @NHL UFA, I’ve learned there are at least 6 teams that presently have interest in Patrick Maroon. Size, Soft hands,has played played with McDavid,Getzlaf,Perry and produced. @NHL @NHLNetwork

Doesn't Patty have a son in or near the St. Louis area? I think that may be the leading candidate.

56 minutes ago, poum said:

And shall remain so...

Hell, as PS would be quick to point out, this is the exact type of veteran that BM would sign.

Sbisa 4x4.

It's not a Ducks third pairing unless you got stupid money involved!

All grit, no IQ, former Canuck.. what could possibly go wrong? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, poum said:

Doesn't Patty have a son in or near the St. Louis area? I think that may be the leading candidate.

His son is in St. Louis but the latest:

Pierre LeBrun - Patrick Maroon I don't think has committed to anyone yet as teams continue to call but a top-6 fit in either New Jersey or Calgary might make sense... we shall see

Todays the Day we will know Where JT goes to...IF it's in Long Island or T.O we won't know.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

32 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Todays the Day we will know Where JT goes to...IF it's in Long Island or T.O we won't know.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

OR San Jose...or Tampa Bay...I don't think Dallas or Boston have any chance...apparently Tavares wants to stay on teams that have some sort of blue (teal is a sort of blue!) in their team colors...

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

OR San Jose...or Tampa Bay...I don't think Dallas or Boston have any chance...apparently Tavares wants to stay on teams that have some sort of blue (teal is a sort of blue!) in their team colors...

You can’t get bluer than St Louis Blues.... wait a minute.... did you just predict the future?? 

4 hours ago, RobD360 said:

You can’t get bluer than St Louis Blues.... wait a minute.... did you just predict the future?? 

Haha this is true! ...and...if he out of nowhere signs with the Blues...I feel like you'd get credit for that one

I honestly believed he'd sign with the Sharks...they have everything he'd be looking for. They have good enough forwards, some good D, a capable goalie, seemingly good management, 20 years of basically consistent playoff appearances and will likely continue the next few seasons, good city with good fans, but not nearly the coverage as isles and ESPECIALLY not with Toronto. The inefficiencies I see in San Jose I believe he would help solve. He'd bring good leadership and a fresh energy to get out of choking/folding under adversity. Oh and will only compete with the isles twice a season.

I think Tampa Bay is closer to a cup than San Jose though. But if JT goes to Tampa some big names will be shipped out so that will have a negative impact.

And Toronto definitely has a cup window opening sooner than NYI...but it's still not very immediate. And signing JT would give them such a headache down the line with their great group of young guys. And their defense isn't very strong. In a few years they will probably look better...but they'll probably look better with out JT. Similar to Tampa. Net improvement I would think is negative for Toronto/Tampa Bay if they take JT. Maybe not immediately, but probably before they get a cup. While SJ/NYI will be a better team immediately. Net positive.

Thus I think SJ will be his home.

Tavares would be welcomed like a royal if he signed with Toronto. He would also have his character assassinated like a French royal after his first season ends in a first round loss to Tampa Bay. If he goes there, that city better stick by him instead of trying to find out what fast food joint he visits every morning for breakfast. 

Here's hoping he throws the hockey world a curveball by refusing to sign with any of the teams giving him tacky powerpoint presentations and we somehow end up with the new face of our franchise. Going to a team with orange as a secondary colour is much more attractive than a plain old blue team. 

3 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

If he goes to SJ he makes them a cup contender 

They already are IMO. Only a couple years removed from a SCF appearance and even though Marleau has left since then and Thornton is old, their overall depth is still top quality. Jones is the goalie LA should've kept and as overrated of a defenceman I think Burns is (4th forward more realistically), Vlasic might be the best pure defender in the league. Vegas was a cinderella story where literally everything went right for them through the first 3 rounds. I think if you play out that series 10 times, San Jose would get the better of them more times than not. They're the type of responsible team that could give physical and emotional teams like Winnipeg and Nashville fits too as evidenced by how quickly they dispatched us. Tavares would put them over the top. 

45 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

They already are IMO. Only a couple years removed from a SCF appearance and even though Marleau has left since then and Thornton is old, their overall depth is still top quality. Jones is the goalie LA should've kept and as overrated of a defenceman I think Burns is (4th forward more realistically), Vlasic might be the best pure defender in the league. Vegas was a cinderella story where literally everything went right for them through the first 3 rounds. I think if you play out that series 10 times, San Jose would get the better of them more times than not. They're the type of responsible team that could give physical and emotional teams like Winnipeg and Nashville fits too as evidenced by how quickly they dispatched us. Tavares would put them over the top. 

Yes they have a good team. However, they fluctuated during the season suffering from inconsistency and stumbled into the playoffs. However getting Kane was big for them. Kane makes them a shoe-in to get into the POs for 2019 but getting Tavs makes them an actual contender

All indications are that James van Riemsdyk is going back to the Philadelphia #Flyers on a deal to be announced Sunday. #TSN

As @Buccigross (and maybe others...I can’t keep track) reported it is 5 years/35 million for JVR in Phili.

Edited by DuckFan4Life
  • Like 1

My bet is San Jose.  Their karma seems right 

Next Stanley Cup participant my guess.

They would be loaded up with him there.

Where does all their money come from.  Must be nice to have ownership that pays up and wants to...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

My bet is San Jose.  Their karma seems right 

Next Stanley Cup participant my guess.

They would be loaded up with him there.

Where does all their money come from.  Must be nice to have ownership that pays up and wants to...

The thing Isn’t so much that we don’t spend to the cap as the last couple of seasons we have been close to it but as compared to the Sharks they don’t have big underperforming contracts like we do. As a result they have extra cash. 

27 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The thing Isn’t so much that we don’t spend to the cap as the last couple of seasons we have been close to it but as compared to the Sharks they don’t have big underperforming contracts like we do. As a result they have extra cash. 

I see.  Thanks.

49 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The Ducks are famous or infamous for slow starts which doesn't help since they have to expend more energy in the second half of the season to make the playoffs. Also our big contracts (well one in particular) are under performing like you said. Good news is that the Ducks will have plenty of cap space next season for UFA's. Bad news is it doesn't look like there is much as far as forwards go to chose from. 

13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

He’s going to Toronto... a whole crop of young guys who are going to be very good for the next 6+years , if he wants to win a cup , that’s his best option, with SJ a close second.

• Like 2

The various ‘insiders’ seem to think it’s between Toronto and New York for Tavares. But considering most of the insiders are located in Toronto and obsessed with the Leafs I’d take that with a grain of salt. Personally I think San Jose would make a ton of sense, they would basically be immediate contenders with him on the roster for a long time, and they wouldn’t have to move guys to make it happen. If he signs in Toronto they would be good but they’re losing JVR and their defense is not that good. Honestly if Tavares wants his best chance  to win he should go to San Jose. 

Edited by nieder

6 hours ago, nieder said:

The various ‘insiders’ seem to think it’s between Toronto and New York for Tavares. But considering most of the insiders are located in Toronto and obsessed with the Leafs I’d take that with a grain of salt. Personally I think San Jose would make a ton of sense, they would basically be immediate contenders with him on the roster for a long time, and they wouldn’t have to move guys to make it happen. If he signs in Toronto they would be good but they’re losing JVR and their defense is not that good. Honestly if Tavares wants his best chance  to win he should go to San Jose. 

I'm sure Toronto is a wonderful city and one day I would like to visit, I truely would. But the stupid that comes from that city is comical. Last week, Doughty was a Leaf. All of Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Fowler, etc were sure Leafs at one point.

Edited by poum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, poum said:

I'm sure Toronto is a wonderful city and one day I would like to visit, I truely would. But the stupid that comes from that city is comical. Last week, Doughty was a Leaf. All of Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Fowler, etc were sure Leafs at one point.

The problem with teams such as Toronto, the Habs etc, is their local press and fanbase are stuck in the past. They think that all players naturally want to come play for their teams because once upon a time they had dynasties. (I won't point out that it was back when their were only 6 teams in the league). Nevermind that they are still in rebuild mode. Players like Taveres don't necessarily want money, or to play for nostalgia, they want to go to a team that has a legitimate chance to win in the next two or three season, before their career ends. They don't have the time or luxury of waiting for a team like Toronto  or the Habs, or the Islanders to finish a rebuild.

Isles are all but out on Tavares, according to multiple sources and The Athletic.

It is now between San Jose and Toronto. Sharks are a better fit IMO, but I hope he goes to the Leafs.
That will screw them pretty good, as it will make them give up a few of their young guns and it's Hockey Hollywood. Good luck there with all the pressure.

A team like Tampa may have and outside chance.

If it is Tampa or San Jose, the move would make said team the team to beat in it's Conference.

1 hour ago, poum said:

This is the first time a rumor makes sense though. They have an obscene amount of cap space, great hockey people in the front office, a great coach in Babcock, an elite netminder, and a great young core. All things they didn’t have previously. 

I also tend to think that elite guys like Tavares believe that any team they go to can be a contender if the right hockey minds are in place and ownership is willing to spend to build a team around them. The Leafs currently have about $30M in cap space (with Horton expected to go on LTIR), so Tavares would not be the end of their shopping spree. This could finally be what Leafs fans (aka “hockey insiders”) have been waiting for.

• Like 1