DuckFan4Life

2018 UFA Watch

64 posts in this topic

Tyler Bozak gets a three-year deal from St. Louis with a $5M AAV.

Edited by DuckFan4Life

3 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Roman Polak will play with the Stars next season. One year deal.

I didn't think it was possible but somehow their defence gets even worse wow

4 people like this

Anton Khudobin will sign with the Dallas Stars. Excellent pick up for the Stars.

DAL to sign Blake Comeau 3 years at $2.4 per

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Cam Ward’s deal in CHI is one year, $3M with full NTC.

OFFICIAL: Forward Chris Kunitz and goaltender Cam Ward have signed 1-year contracts and defenseman Brandon Manning has inked a 2-year deal with the #Blackhawks.

Welcome to Chicago!

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Mrzek to Carolina?? And Bernier to Detroit? I'm sorry but that is a downgrade  for the wings in my opinion. It looks like Detroit is having the same problem as Colorado when Roy retired...it's tough to find a good franchise goalie once you've lost one of the best all-time! I still don't think Colorado REALLY did, but they've settled in nicely to Varmarlov or however you spell it.

Apparently he's off to toronto...

(at least it's not San Jose!!)

Edited by Jasoaks
4 people like this

Just now, RobD360 said:

Toronto just needs to upgrade their D now 

Tbh, Toronto did not have a scoring problem before, so this solves exactly nothing there. On the contrary, this puts them in a cap space bind regarding their young forwards.

Their one weakness is still alive and well. As mentioned, maybe GMBM should knock on that door now.

Just now, DucksProg said:

Tbh, Toronto did not have a scoring problem before, so this solves exactly nothing there. On the contrary, this puts them in a cap space bind regarding their young forwards.

Their one weakness is still alive and well. As mentioned, maybe GMBM should knock on that door now.

Exactly! Unless their looking at a someone beyond our talent (like Karlsson...)...I feel like we are prime to help them and them help us.

1 minute ago, DucksProg said:

Yeah and another potentially big problem they have now created is tempering their current young forwards $$ wise when it’s their turn to get raises. I wonder if they even tried this hard to get Karlsson though I suspect OTT would not have been too keen to trading with their neighbors but maybe they could have done like a 3-way deal with Ryan getting dumped somewhere else. 

5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Canucks Sign Jay Beagle And Antoine Roussel prohockeyrumors.com/2018/07/canuck…

So Vancouver is going to be the brute squad next season?

Well Much as the Canadian Sports media laments on How T.O pull it off congrats to JT on going home....Real Work for him is about to begin and the media there will still put him up on pedestal as some sort of savior.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 person likes this

Also can we talk for a minute about the ridiculousness of how much people are paying/willing to pay for Tavares? I sort of brought up this up with Doughty, but Doughty has a good case for it. But Tavares at $11mil is MORE than Ovechkin or Crosby. I guess it's just the market rising...but...JT is NOWHERE at the level of those 2. he's good, yeah! But not better than those guys.

And San Jose apparently offered $13mil?! That's MORE THAN MCDAVID. I'm sorry that is just...that's ridiculous. Maybe Tavares will prove to be amazing once he has better linemates...but...come on...$13 mil???

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Also can we talk for a minute about the ridiculousness of how much people are paying/willing to pay for Tavares? I sort of brought up this up with Doughty, but Doughty has a good case for it. But Tavares at $11mil is MORE than Ovechkin or Crosby. I guess it's just the market rising...but...JT is NOWHERE at the level of those 2. he's good, yeah! But not better than those guys.

And San Jose apparently offered $13mil?! That's MORE THAN MCDAVID. I'm sorry that is just...that's ridiculous. Maybe Tavares will prove to be amazing once he has better linemates...but...come on...$13 mil???

Well Lebron James just signed on with LA for 4 years at $154 ($38.5 mill per yr) so $13 mill is chump change.....

.......oops wrong league 

basketball is sooo dumb

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Well Lebron James just signed on with LA for 4 years at $154 ($38.5 mill per yr) so $13 mill is chump change.....

.......oops wrong league 

basketball is sooo dumb

agreed haha

also baseball contracts get INSANE too. I'm fine with us having a cap to keep things within reason. It's all about the relative value. Which is why I just can't believe the Sharks were offering 13 mil/year for JT. Well...Kopitar is making $13/mil I just realized...so...maybe it wouldn't be crazy.

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

It's not really fair to compare what Tavares is making as a UFA signing 2018 to contracts that were signed many years ago. The league environment has shifted considerably recently. Crosby signed his extension in 2012 right before the league lost half a season to a lockout. Ovechkin's was the largest in the history of the NHL when it was signed in 2008. The last time a player of Tavares' quality actually switched teams via free agency was Scott Niedermayer in 2005. It almost never happens even if some players like to flirt with the idea of it to drive up the asking price without ever hitting the market (Stamkos, Doughty, etc.). The opportunity to add an already established superstar and arguably a top 5 player at his position is extremely rare in any circumstance and UFA signings already come at a premium since you have to outbid the competition. Those two factors combined inflated his value for sure. Whether or not he lives up to that salary remains to be seen although I believe he's proven that he deserved to get paid. He's a consistent 30 goal, 80 point player that's capable of turning chumps like Matt Moulson (3 straight 30 goal seasons playing beside Tavares, only 41 goals in 5 seasons total after leaving New York) and PA Parenteau into legitimate scoring threats. He singlehandedly dragged that sorry team out of the league's basement. Who was his most talented linemate on the Islanders, Okposo? Grabner? The expectations for him in Toronto are already through the roof no doubt but he's joining a team with a ton of offensive firepower on paper. I'm excited to see what he can do with that team.

Edited by PetrSykora
1 person likes this

6 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

It's not really fair to compare what Tavares is making as a UFA signing 2018 to contracts that were signed many years ago. The league environment has shifted considerably recently. Crosby signed his extension in 2012 right before the league lost half a season to a lockout. Ovechkin's was the largest in the history of the NHL when it was signed in 2008. The last time a player of Tavares' quality actually switched teams via free agency was Scott Niedermayer in 2005. It almost never happens even if some players like to flirt with the idea of it to drive up the asking price without ever hitting the market (Stamkos, Doughty, etc.). The opportunity to add an already established superstar and arguably a top 5 player at his position is extremely rare in any circumstance and UFA signings already come at a premium since you have to outbid the competition. Those two factors combined inflated his value for sure. Whether or not he lives up to that salary remains to be seen although I believe he's proven that he deserved to get paid. He's a consistent 30 goal, 80 point player that's capable of turning chumps like Matt Moulson (3 straight 30 goal seasons playing beside Tavares, only 41 goals in 5 seasons total after leaving New York) and PA Parenteau into legitimate scoring threats. He singlehandedly dragged that sorry team out of the league's basement. Who was his most talented linemate on the Islanders, Okposo? Grabner? The expectations for him in Toronto are already through the roof no doubt but he's joining a team with a ton of offensive firepower on paper. I'm excited to see what he can do with that team.

Yeah, no, you're right. I mean it isn't fair at all to compare a signing of 10 years ago to a signing today. And yeah, it is inflated from just the fact of coming into the free market. It will be exciting to see what he can do with those players!!

2 hours ago, DucksProg said:

James Neal to Calgary on a 5 year deal, 5.75M per...

Oh good, Neal and Giodarno on one team. Now we know we can sit Fowler against any Calgary games close to the end of the season.

2 people like this

Kudos to JT on going to T.O good luck he is going to need IT...alot.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Just saw that Trashville signed Zac Rinaldo. There's something about this that's so trash, it's like how much more trash could this be? And the answer is none. None more trash.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Just saw that Trashville signed Zac Rinaldo. There's something about this that's so trash, it's like how much more trash could this be? And the answer is none. None more trash.

When it comes to trashiness, Nashville goes to 11.

3 people like this

13 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Arguably a good case for most trash. I'm throwing in my case for Vancouver. Somehow, someway, I'm more irked at Vancouver than Calgary's trash. 

ThoughI expected it of latter, I'm annoyed that the former is now a thing to be dealt with.

[edit] Fowler is gonna die at the end of the season between the two clubs.

Edited by poum

2 hours ago, poum said:

Arguably a good case for most trash. I'm throwing in my case for Vancouver. Somehow, someway, I'm more irked at Vancouver than Calgary's trash. 

ThoughI expected it of latter, I'm annoyed that the former is now a thing to be dealt with.

[edit] Fowler is gonna die at the end of the season between the two clubs.

Canada acknowledging that Anaheim is The Canada Slayer. They decided to fight back.

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Somebody throw Bieksa a bone.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he calls it a career. He's had a bunch of injuries the past few seasons and he might be ready to just hang out and play with his kids rather than uprooting the family to another part of the country just so he can play 3rd pairing minutes and possible break something else in his body. Hope he does retire. Bieksa was a solid D-man for a very long time and its not fun to see guys struggle when the get older the way he has lately. Felt the same way with Teemu his last season (albeit with a lot more emotional attachment to #8). When it's time, it's time.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he calls it a career. He's had a bunch of injuries the past few seasons and he might be ready to just hang out and play with his kids rather than uprooting the family to another part of the country just so he can play 3rd pairing minutes and possible break something else in his body. Hope he does retire. Bieksa was a solid D-man for a very long time and its not fun to see guys struggle when the get older the way he has lately. Felt the same way with Teemu his last season (albeit with a lot more emotional attachment to #8). When it's time, it's time.

Beaks and Kes are best buds. What effect this may have on Kes? Will he stay if healthy or decide to retire with the broken hips to prevent more damage to his health?