The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
JiggyToTheCup

Gibson Signs 8-year extension

7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

:D

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES......Very Happy Ducks have signed him to long term Extension...8 years 6.4 Million Dollars.

DuckPride 4eer

MooseDuck

8 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

:D

#Ducks announce that they have signed G John Gibson to a max term 8 year extension worth 6.4M AAV

capfriendly.com/players/john-g…

I’m surprised that Murray gave him 8 years, thought it would be 5 or 6, especially since he’s drafted 3 goalies in the past 2 years. Money seems about right given what Hellebucyk got. It’s well deserved for Gibson, now if we could just give him some goal support!

1 hour ago, Jiggy2win said:

Ducks will need a good solid back up for 8 years now

So in two or three years the Ducks will be buying out his contract after he spends half of the next two seasons on the injury list.

I'm not happy that the Ducks are committing to Gibson for this length.  As good as he "Can" be on the ice there is still too much inconsistency to his game and I have yet to see him steal a game when the Ducks in front of him are having a bad game.

Oh yeah.. and on top of that he is extremely injury prone.

I guess I can skip watching the Ducks for the next eight seasons because they  are not winning a cup with Gibson in net.

• Like 1

Wow.  I love Gibson, so I'm happy about this, but that price seems steep for giving him so much security. Still, good for Gibson and good for the Ducks.  They've got their elite franchise goalie for the next 8 years and should get him for his complete prime.

17 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

So in two or three years the Ducks will be buying out his contract after he spends half of the next two seasons on the injury list.

I'm not happy that the Ducks are committing to Gibson for this length.  As good as he "Can" be on the ice there is still too much inconsistency to his game and I have yet to see him steal a game when the Ducks in front of him are having a bad game.

I guess I can skip watching the Ducks for the next eight seasons because they  are not winning a cup with Gibson in net.

He stole plenty of games at the beginning of last season. The injury he had this past year that kept him out was getting hit in the head. 

THIS TEAM is my team, win or lose and I will continue to watch every game I can.

:t_hot_unread:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

#Ducks announce that they have signed G John Gibson to a max term 8 year extension worth 6.4M AAV

capfriendly.com/players/john-g…

Also modified NTC, beginning 2021. 

23 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

He stole plenty of games at the beginning of last season. The injury he had this past year that kept him out was getting hit in the head. 

THIS TEAM is my team, win or lose and I will continue to watch every game I can.

:t_hot_unread:

I think we have different definitions of a stolen game.

I'm talking about a game where the goalie always bails the team out on a opponent's  breakaway, where the team in front of him is playing so horrible that by every measure the team should and deserved to lose the game but for the spectacular performance by the goalie. I've seen Gibson play some great games but I have yet to see him single handedly shut down the other team.

I saw Jiggy do it.

I saw Hiller do it, 

I saw Andersen do it.

I even seen Miller do it in his first season as a Duck.

I have yet to see Gibson do it.

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

What??? Dude has stolen points for us left and right last year. I remember that Philly game where he had like 50+ saves when we had our typical second half implosion in that game. Gibson was CONSISTENTLY our best player all of last year. There’s only so much a goaltender can do, look at Montreal. Gibson is one of the best at his position and he’s only 25. Half of the time he was “injured” was Carlyle being careful with him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I'm talking about a game where the goalie always bails the team out on a opponent's  breakaway, where the team in front of him is playing so horrible that by every measure the team should and deserved to lose the game but for the spectacular performance by the goalie. I've seen Gibson play some great games but I have yet to see him single handedly shut down the other team.

I saw Jiggy do it.

I saw Hiller do it, 

I saw Andersen do it.

Hey you, Mr. Doom and Gloom over there.... are you being serious? You’re talking about his lack of ability when it comes to stealing games? Gibby stole half a season for us last year when we had our injury problem. 

Did anyone ever consider Hiller, Andersen, or Ryan Miller Vezina worthy? (maybe Miller in his prime?) I’m sorry, but you’re just plain wrong. 

To say we will never win a cup with Gibson is just lame and harsh. I’d switch that and say that we’d never win a cup with an aging Perry and Kesler. Gibson hasn’t even hit his ceiling yet , and to lock up a young goalie who is easily top 10 , or top 5 in the league is a good move on Murray’s part.

Go watch the shootout against Minnesota and tell me Gibson didn’t steal that game for us.

/rant over/

• Like 4

It might be a risk, but based on the fact that almost none of his injuries last year were groin related as was his proneness, 6.4 for a Top 5 tender is a steal

50 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I saw Jiggy do it.

I saw Hiller do it, 

I saw Andersen do it.

March 23, 2018 @ Winnipeg.  Yes, the Ducks lost in OT, but the Ducks didn't deserve a point. Check out the stats. The ONLY reason Ducks got a point was because of Gibson. I remember watching the game.  Spectacular save after spectacular save. Winnipeg could have easily had 7 or 8 goals if not for Gibson.  

I have no trouble with this contract. I would take him over really anybody right now with his potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

This is hilarious.  He stole the SEASON for us last year.  His numbers in the second half were stellar.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

What??? Dude has stolen points for us left and right last year. I remember that Philly game where he had like 50+ saves when we had our typical second half implosion in that game. Gibson was CONSISTENTLY our best player all of last year. There’s only so much a goaltender can do, look at Montreal. Gibson is one of the best at his position and he’s only 25. Half of the time he was “injured” was Carlyle being careful with him. 

spot on.

I saw Jiggy do it.

I saw Hiller do it, 

I saw Andersen do it.

you're on quite a roll here today. This is grade A schtick.

I saw Jiggy do it.

I saw Hiller do it, 

I saw Andersen do it.

Here's what you do.
Subscribe to cable TV and make sure your provider carries Prime Ticket and FSW. You will see Gibson steal about 15 games a season.

You kidding me? How many games did he stand on his head last year and make over 40 saves a game while the team in front of him looked like their heads and bodies were in Lala Land?

I actually felt sorry for the guy last year.
Refresh my memory......how many times was Gibby the #1 star last season?

Edited by wataduk
  • Like 7

This is an amazing contract! 8 years?! Lock him up at that price for that long?! That's insane. I'm fine with the term. Gibby still has plenty of room to grow and I definitely have seen his improvement over the past couple of seasons. This is great.

Now let's just get some stronger offense and in a couple years this team is going to look soooo so so fricken scary.

Yeaaaaaaaah. I love Gibson but these super long contracts IN GENERAL make me nervous, and extra nervous when it's a goalie whoever it is. The injury concerns are legit but honestly he will be ok if his groin doesn't get pulled and out D don't knock people into him. I play D and never understood why knocking someone down on your goalie is a thing. It's very simple, you throw/pull them down away from the goalie so they are still on their ass but out of the crease. 

IMG_2026.PNG

• Like 2

Beautiful. Only thing you could say is maybe the term is a couple of years long for a goalie but that's not the biggest deal. Gibson is the best player we've got and I don't even want to imagine what this team would look like if he wanted out next summer. I can't believe anyone is questioning the decision to commit to him after watching the last two seasons. How many times did the team just bail out on a game entirely after getting a first period lead only for Gibson to carry them to a totally undeserved point or two? I'm surprised he even has a back strong enough to lean over and physically sign a paper after the way he carried this sorry team into the playoffs.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Here's what you do.
Subscribe to cable TV and make sure your provider carries Prime Ticket and FSW. You will see Gibson steal about 15 games a season.

You kidding me? How many games did he stand on his head last year and make over 40 saves a game while the team in front of him looked like their heads and bodies were in Lala Land?

I actually felt sorry for the guy last year.
Refresh my memory......how many times was Gibby the #1 star last season?

Gibby had the 3 Star Leaderboard on lock half way through the season.

• Like 3

I like Gibson. He can be great and yes it’s becuase of him that we got into the POs. But at the same time he’s been injured in every post season. The injury thing is real and it’s due to his “athletic” style of play and also getting wacked by opponents but every goalie has to deal with that. 8 years seems a bit too long because of his prone to injury then you add the Bob No movement clause and it’s a recipe for concern down the road

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

Wouldn’t be a Murray contract without a NMC

25 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

then you add the Bob No movement clause

It's a M-NTC. Per CapFriendly, Gibson submits a 10 team list that he will not accept a trade to. 

• Like 1