The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
JiggyToTheCup

Gibson Signs 8-year extension

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Historically, they will be.  If nothing else to keep up with inflation.  I'll have to check, but I can't think of a year it dropped.  It has remained for a year, but then went up the following.

So in 8 years, it is likely to go up at least 3 or 4 times.

When the new CBA came into effect in 2012-13 the cap dropped from $70.2M in 2012-13 to to $64.3M in 2013-14, which was the reason for the compliance buy-outs. Depending on where the cap is after the 2021-22 season, I think we could see another re-set. Part of the reason for the cap acceleration is the buy-in fees for the new franchises ($500M for Vegas!), but after Seattle arrives the NHL is probably done expanding for a while. So the cap could be higher than what the NHL would want by 2021-2022 since they won't be seeing buy-in fees for a while.

But even if we do see a re-set, I would expect this team to remain fiscally responsible between now and then so that we wouldn't be in too much trouble if it does go down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

When the new CBA came into effect in 2012-13 the cap dropped from $70.2M in 2012-13 to to $64.3M in 2013-14, which was the reason for the compliance buy-outs. Depending on where the cap is after the 2021-22 season, I think we could see another re-set. Part of the reason for the cap acceleration is the buy-in fees for the new franchises ($500M for Vegas!), but after Seattle arrives the NHL is probably done expanding for a while. So the cap could be higher than what the NHL would want by 2021-2022 since they won't be seeing buy-in fees for a while.

But even if we do see a re-set, I would expect this team to remain fiscally responsible between now and then so that we wouldn't be in too much trouble if it does go down.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the cap move according to revenue? Revenue was up over 8% last year (thank you LV), thus the biggest cap bump in 5 years (4.5 mil).
I see your point though about the Golden Goose (expansion) creating a need for a re-set down the road.

Edited by wataduk

If any of you have read article by Eric Stephens on the Athletic....He title it "Loyality to the Ducks played a role in John Gibson's Long term Contract. Tells us Gibson is ready to prove he is worthy to make his mark with the Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:
.@Mike_P_Johnson and @BrianBoucher33 break down two new members of the Top 10 Goalies Right Now list, @JohnGibson35 and @f_andersen30. #NHLTopPlayers

https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1035324036576948224

Incredible to think we had them both. Love Gibbs but miss the big guy Freddy. Glad he’s showing everyone he is an elite goalie. Toronto is going to continue to make progress especially with Fred in net

• Like 1