The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

nick getting shipped?

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Sooo...when Ritchie is in...who is gonna be out?? Lundestrom? I guess Blandisi...but once Getzlaf is back...and Slifv...Gibbons maybe? I wouldn't know who. I'd guess maybe Terry would be next?

He has to get his work visa before he can play. This Sundays game will Comtois' 9th. Lundestoms 9th game will be the Dallas road game next week if he plays in the next 4. Question is which line will he be in.

i'm thinking he'll either play up top (at least initially) with RR and RG, and put MC in Silf's spot, or they may try to make him work in Silf's spot.

I don't think Sherwood has been playing center, and he's waivers exempt... i don't know.  i think my list from most likely to least likely going down is:

Sherwood-->SS-->IL-->MC-->TT.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

He has to get his work visa before he can play. This Sundays game will Comtois' 9th. Lundestoms 9th game will be the Dallas road game next week if he plays in the next 4. Question is which line will he be in.

pretty sure it's teams 9th game that counts, not the player.

As far as the debate for who stays and who goes, as much as people like his game, Lundestrom is going to be the first one to go down. And I am more than ok with that.

Think it is impossible to send Comtois down now, and Sherwood has earned a bottom 9 role. That leaves Steel and Terry. I think both of these guys could use a little time in the AHL as neither had played professional hockey before the season started. Problem is with the Perry and Kase injuries, Terry is going to be up here by default.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I think its the number of games the player plays. I remember a few years ago when the Ducks faced Calgary in the playoffs that the Flames were debating whether Sam Bennett should continue playing because he was going to burn a year of his ELC in the playoffs (he had been recalled from his junior team after the junior team was eliminated in the OHL playoffs). It didn't seem to matter if he was on the roster for 10 games or not, it was all about whether he was playing in games.

Also, looking at Capfriendly, they have different numbers of "game remaining" listed for Lundestrom (5) and Comtois (3) even though they've both been on the active roster the same amount of time.

Edited by dtsdlaw

14 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

As far as the debate for who stays and who goes, as much as people like his game, Lundestrom is going to be the first one to go down. And I am more than ok with that.

Think it is impossible to send Comtois down now, and Sherwood has earned a bottom 9 role. That leaves Steel and Terry. I think both of these guys could use a little time in the AHL as neither had played professional hockey before the season started. Problem is with the Perry and Kase injuries, Terry is going to be up here by default.

Lundestrom has looked the best of the group to me, although I worry about his development of offensive skills if he stays in the NHL in a 3rd/4th line role.  That may be where he's ultimately destined anyway, but we don't want to hinder his growth.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays.

Sherwood is a solid 4th liner.  I think he stays.

Terry and Steel both need AHL time badly, Terry in particular.  Both have looked lost at times and need to regain their confidence as well as maturing physically and learning how to play a more complete game.  

Comtois is the mystery.  I don't think it's impossible to send him down, but he sure looks ready to compete at the NHL level.  And since he has to be irrevocably returned to his AHL team if he's not with the Ducks, that's a tough decision.

33 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Lundestrom has looked the best of the group to me, although I worry about his development of offensive skills if he stays in the NHL in a 3rd/4th line role.  That may be where he's ultimately destined anyway, but we don't want to hinder his growth.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays.

Sherwood is a solid 4th liner.  I think he stays.

Terry and Steel both need AHL time badly, Terry in particular.  Both have looked lost at times and need to regain their confidence as well as maturing physically and learning how to play a more complete game.  

Comtois is the mystery.  I don't think it's impossible to send him down, but he sure looks ready to compete at the NHL level.  And since he has to be irrevocably returned to his AHL team if he's not with the Ducks, that's a tough decision.

I don't disagree that Lundestrom has performed well in his limited role so far. The issue for him is not a matter of performance, but where he falls on the depth chart once everyone is back and healthy. Even if they move Henrique back to wing when Getzlaf comes back, he is at most going to be a 3rd/4th line rotation guy. That is not what you want to do with an 18 year old. And on the flip side, should the Ducks decide not to burn a year off his ELC and send him back to Europe, he would be playing everyday in a more offensive role against men in the SEL. Nobody is ever going to question the defensive skills of a 18 year old who plays the PK on an NHL team. They just gotta put him in the best position to develop his offensive game.

Ideally, you would like Lundestrom to turn into the next Mikael Backlund, not the next Marcus Kruger when it is all said and done. 

• Like 5

Go back and look at the TOI for all the lines in the last few games.  RC is playing all the forwards pretty evenly.

So... while in past years, not being in the top 6 was a huge detriment to your skills development if you were on the Ducks coached by RC... that is currently not the case.  Unclear if playing 3rd line against 3rd line is by itself not good for development, but you'd think it was better than diddling around in the AHL?  

If the TOI distribution changes once Getz is back, then that'll be a big problem, probably for the whole team dynamic, and it certainly won't continue the speed game development we've seen in the first few games this season.

Anyway, something to think about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

No, it's the number of games the player appears in.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't disagree that Lundestrom has performed well in his limited role so far. The issue for him is not a matter of performance, but where he falls on the depth chart once everyone is back and healthy. Even if they move Henrique back to wing when Getzlaf comes back, he is at most going to be a 3rd/4th line rotation guy. That is not what you want to do with an 18 year old. And on the flip side, should the Ducks decide not to burn a year off his ELC and send him back to Europe, he would be playing everyday in a more offensive role against men in the SEL. Nobody is ever going to question the defensive skills of a 18 year old who plays the PK on an NHL team. They just gotta put him in the best position to develop his offensive game.

Ideally, you would like Lundestrom to turn into the next Mikael Backlund, not the next Marcus Kruger when it is all said and done. 

Since he's never played in the CHL, can't he be sent to San Diego? It would burn a year off his ELC, but in terms of development the AHL would seem like the best option for Lundestrom. We could also recall him if needed, say if Kesler's hip gives out or Baldy's groin goes wonky again.

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Since he's never played in the CHL, can't he be sent to San Diego? It would burn a year off his ELC, but in terms of development the AHL would seem like the best option for Lundestrom. We could also recall him if needed, say if Kesler's hip gives out or Baldy's groin goes wonky again.

Good question. I did some research. The rules state that if a European player was drafted by a CHL team, then the AHL age limit rule applies to them. However, if they were drafted by a European club team, they can report to the AHL without the age restrictions. The closest example of this I could find was when Artem Anisimov was drafted by the Rangers in 2007 out of Locomotiv in the KHL. Since Anisimov's initial rights were owned by Locomotiv and not a CHL team, he was allowed to report to their AHL affiliate at age 19 when the Rangers sent him down.

Key word is drafted, not played. I'm not sure if Lundestrom was ever picked up or on the radar by any Canadian junior teams, but if someone drafted him, then he can't go to San Diego.

• Like 2

Lundestrom likely has a contract with his Swedish team that will be honored if he’s not in the NHL. I know on the Ducks telecast earlier this season they mentioned it’s either Sweden or Anaheim for him, and they were talking about agreements between Swedish/NHL teams. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 3

According to Capfriendly, Lundestrom has a European Assignment clause. When Lundestrom made his NHL debut, Hayward made a comment that Lundestrom either stays in the NHL or goes back to the SEL. So I do not believe that the AHL is an option for Lundestrom. 

• Like 1

I'm all for sending IL back over. It'll probably be better for his development...and looking at him already...I just get really excited with thinking about what he could develop into.

Personally I've been pretty impressed with Steel...at least on the power play. He was quarter backing it last game and some of those passes he makes are VERY good and very smart. He seems to have good vision and hockey IQ. Personally, I'd rather see him stay up. I just get this sense it would be better for him to play with bonafide NHLers to help nurture that smarts than AHLers that wont likely be thinking at the same level as him. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but that's just the sense I get from watching him play. He looks loss at times, yeah. But he seems like the kind of guy to rise to the bar and will get better playing with better players than just trying to get confidence playing with AHLers. If that makes sense.

Comtois I feel like is a given he's staying up as long as he can. Sherwood seems to be impressed by RC and I think is also likely to stay up next as long.

Terry I feel like could use the time in the AHL to further develop his game.

(hey! that was my 2000th post! woo!!)

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 4

Terry was put in the overwhelming position of replacing Perry on the top line. Can't blame the kid for his performance in that kind of a situation. He's not a first rounder. Steel has been progressing as well as Lundestrom. Last game might have been the worst for Comtois. I hope he rebounds by his 9th game.

1 hour ago, DucksFanInIE said:

Looks like Terry was sent down and Aberg recalled.  Who's next?

Max Jones, who's coming off bad thumb injury, has also been assigned to San Diego.

5 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

His chin isn't as round as it usually looks. That is a good sign.

His face is much thinner. This goes back to @icemancometh saying that BM was happy with the way Ritchie looked when he saw him a few months ago. Will be interesting to see how many pounds he lost.

49 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Terry was put in the overwhelming position of replacing Perry on the top line. Can't blame the kid for his performance in that kind of a situation. He's not a first rounder. Steel has been progressing as well as Lundestrom. Last game might have been the worst for Comtois. I hope he rebounds by his 9th game.

Oh absolutely! 

6 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

His chin isn't as round as it usually looks. That is a good sign.

A chin IMPLANT perhaps ????

7 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Terry scored twice - including the GWG - and added an assist tonight. Nice way to approach getting sent down.

That is awesome. Glad he didn't let the demotion affect his performance.

He will probably be back sooner rather than later.

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

A chin IMPLANT perhaps ????

Nope. That’s just  a piece of fried chicken he was trying to sneak into the locker room. He has a 2nd chin that he can hide his paraphernalia in. 

Getting thinner doesn’t affect how many penalties you take.

• Like 3

All this talk about Richie losing weight.... Who cares? I hope he loses the bad decision making and stupid penalty taking before shedding unnecessary weight.

He better put out, especially with the injuries. Better.Put.Out.

• Like 2

We can hope the weight loss signifies that he is paying attention and is coachable, and also that he gets the penalties downside.

what puzzles me generally, is how disconnected the team seems to be from the players during the off-season.  These young guys are a major investment.  It makes a ton of sense to me that the team would want, insist even, to know what training regimen and all associated, the young guys were following.  And that they would have the right to make corrections and additions.

A friend was a MLB manager.  His stories anout how different the clubhouses are today than in his playing days, are almost stark in differences.  The players are pampered; can’t do much with them.  Is it that way in hockey?