DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

447 posts in this topic

Vegas @GoldenKnights defenceman Nate Schmidt has been suspended 20 games by the #NHL for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

Edited by DuckFan4Life
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Vegas @GoldenKnights defenceman Nate Schmidt has been suspended 20 games by the #NHL for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

Dang, has he been working out with Horcoff over the summer? 

Trace amounts could be due to contamination from an unknown source.  The league lacks brains in assessing the diffierence between misuse, and coming into contact with something inadvertently.  He could have been “poisoned” unknowingly.

The league is run by idiots....this is just another case in point.

As long as they don't test Cogliano and find out what he's been packing. The League will be back to 30 teams once they find out the Ducks are all hopped up on Cogliano sweat.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, poum said:

As long as they don't test Cogliano and find out what he's been packing. The League will be back to 30 teams once they find out the Ducks are all hopped up on Cogliano sweat.

LOL.....What's Next I see a Duck Running for Mayor of Anaheim.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, Fowl said:

Trace amounts could be due to contamination from an unknown source.  The league lacks brains in assessing the diffierence between misuse, and coming into contact with something inadvertently.  He could have been “poisoned” unknowingly.

The league is run by idiots....this is just another case in point.

You have to know what you're putting in your body.  There's zero excuse for this to happen to a professional athlete.  The chances that this was a real honest accident (rather than inexcusable ignorance) are slim.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

You have to know what you're putting in your body.  There's zero excuse for this to happen to a professional athlete.  The chances that this was a real honest accident (rather than inexcusable ignorance) are slim.

Who says he knew?  You could have your food contaminated and the substance entering your body unbeknownst to you.  The amount found was trace.  He could have been “poisoned” intentionally or unintentionally.  

10 hours ago, Fowl said:

Who says he knew?  You could have your food contaminated and the substance entering your body unbeknownst to you.  The amount found was trace.  He could have been “poisoned” intentionally or unintentionally.  

Yeah.  Someone definitely could have nefariously slipped some PEDs into his milkshake and then cackled to themselves while the walk away.  Do you really think the chances of that are more than remote?  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's close enough that I'm not buying it.  In my opinion, it's more likely that he took something questionable and is now denying it.  Even if it's trace amounts, that doesn't mean he's innocent, either.  I have no problem with this.

17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

That  I agree with....

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 hours ago, Fowl said:

We obviously don't know enough to say either way (although that doesn't usually stop most people from having an opinion, amiright??) but if the substance was something like clenbuterol then it is certainly possible that he could have simply eaten contaminated food. Anyone who's had a steak dinner in Mexico would probably fail a drug test for clenbuterol too. However, if its something like HGH or testosterone and he's claiming supplement contamination, that's going to be a tough sell. You have to know what's in your supplements before you take them. But with "natural" foods like meat that you might get at a nice restaurant, I'm not sure you can be so strict. It'll be interesting if/when we find out what the banned substance was.

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah.  Someone definitely could have nefariously slipped some PEDs into his milkshake and then cackled to themselves while the walk away.  Do you really think the chances of that are more than remote?  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's close enough that I'm not buying it.  In my opinion, it's more likely that he took something questionable and is now denying it.  Even if it's trace amounts, that doesn't mean he's innocent, either.  I have no problem with this.

I don’t know the source or substance.  There’s enough doubt for me to question it.   The league is run by bumbling idiots.  Case in point is Cogliano’s suspension.  Maybe dtsdlaw can weigh in.  Could a court stay this ruling if contested.  

@dtsdlaw

Edited by Fowl

8 hours ago, Fowl said:

I don’t know the source or substance.  There’s enough doubt for me to question it.   The league is run by bumbling idiots.  Case in point is Cogliano’s suspension.  Maybe dtsdlaw can weigh in.  Could a court stay this ruling if contested.  

@dtsdlaw

The league is not well-run, I will give you that.  But I believe the article mentioned that this went to court, or at least to an arbitrator, and the arbitrator upheld the suspension.  Cogliano's suspension was a different set of circumstances and decided on by a different idiot.

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

The league is not well-run, I will give you that.  But I believe the article mentioned that this went to court, or at least to an arbitrator, and the arbitrator upheld the suspension.  Cogliano's suspension was a different set of circumstances and decided on by a different idiot.

Well they have been criticze for various things what can you expect they are not Perfect nor are they run by machines.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/4/2018 at 3:58 PM, dtsdlaw said:

We obviously don't know enough to say either way (although that doesn't usually stop most people from having an opinion, amiright??) but if the substance was something like clenbuterol then it is certainly possible that he could have simply eaten contaminated food. Anyone who's had a steak dinner in Mexico would probably fail a drug test for clenbuterol too. However, if its something like HGH or testosterone and he's claiming supplement contamination, that's going to be a tough sell. You have to know what's in your supplements before you take them. But with "natural" foods like meat that you might get at a nice restaurant, I'm not sure you can be so strict. It'll be interesting if/when we find out what the banned substance was.

The above article mentioned that we will never know what was found. Per the CBA rules. My first thought hearing about this, he probably had some Salmon from the Pacific-Northwest. Chinook Salmon from Puget Sound has been considered "an alphabet soup" of perscription drugs. Last I heard there were traces of some 80+ drugs/products found in the fish. And considering some people have tested positive for PED's with over the counter medicine before. It's hard to say without knowing.

On the other hand, the tinfoil hat side. Players are given two weeks notice before testing. I think it's only 60 players (maybe 62 now with expansion?). Two players per team. And there are ways for certain athelets to avoid the system and cleanse themselves. Perhaps that billionth was a left over from a cleanse that didn't quite work fast enough.

But yeah, without knowing what it was. We outsiders can't make any concrete conclusions. Though he did fail a repeal. So apparently the NHL thinks it was something. There's also the... Does anyone think the League would slap Vegas with cheating before the start of Year Two on it's beloved new expansion team unless their was some shenanigans involved? That's the one that gets me to think there is something to this.

The Canadiens have acquired forwards Tomas Tatar and Nick Suzuki, and a 2nd round pick in 2019 from the Vegas Golden Knights (Columbus’ pick previously acquired by Vegas), in return for Max Pacioretty.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

The Canadiens have acquired forwards Tomas Tatar and Nick Suzuki, and a 2nd round pick in 2019 from the Vegas Golden Knights (Columbus’ pick previously acquired by Vegas), in return for Max Pacioretty.

So the Habs retain 10 percent on Pacioretty's remaining salary for this season while Vegas retains 9.433962 percent (not kidding) on Tatar's remaining three years. Which makes things basically a wash for this season but Montreal gets savings on two years after that on Tatar...

Reason for the precise salary retention percentage on Tatar is that it drops it a clean $500 k on the AAV so Tatar goes from $5.3 M aav to $4.8 M aav a year on the Montreal books

1 person likes this

Max Pacioretty signs a four-year extension with #VGK at a $7M AAV. Deal kicks in staring next year.

Belief is Max Pacioretty was offered $6Mx6 from #LAKings in June deal that didn't go through. Of course, there's no state tax in Nevada.

Max Pacioretty's extension with #VGK includes a limited no-trade clause.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

That's going to make things tougher for the Ducks and others to dethrone Magentos.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Max Pacioretty signs a four-year extension with #VGK at a $7M AAV. Deal kicks in staring next year.

Belief is Max Pacioretty was offered $6Mx6 from #LAKings in June deal that didn't go through. Of course, there's no state tax in Nevada.

Max Pacioretty's extension with #VGK includes a limited no-trade clause.

I think they overpaid.  Both with the contract, and in the trade.  They paid handsomely for Tatar, and in the subsequent Patches trade.

17 hours ago, Fowl said:

I think they overpaid.  Both with the contract, and in the trade.  They paid handsomely for Tatar, and in the subsequent Patches trade.

I agree. Ducks and other teams will have their hands for with Strong Magento team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

As much as I want to hope Vegas falls off the face of the earth after that miracle first season, they've made some terrific moves this summer. A healthy Pacioretty is a major upgrade over Neal. Stastny was also a great addition despite his bloated cap hit for his age. He gives them more options than Perron as a solid middle 6 centre capable of playing every situation. This trade also means they no longer have to pay Tatar to be completely useless. Not that it matters much to them anyway since they've still got an enormous amount of cap space even after re-signing Patches. They'll be paying attention to that dumpster fire in Ottawa and looking to add a major piece on defence for sure. Assuming everyone is capable of coming close to their performances from last season (namely Karlsson, Fleury & Schmidt) they should be in the thick of things again come spring. 

Edited by PetrSykora
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

As much as I want to hope Vegas falls off the face of the earth after that miracle first season, they've made some terrific moves this summer. A healthy Pacioretty is a major upgrade over Neal. Stastny was also a great addition despite his bloated cap hit for his age. He gives them more options than Perron as a solid middle 6 centre capable of playing every situation. This trade also means they no longer have to pay Tatar to be completely useless. Not that it matters much to them anyway since they've still got an enormous amount of cap space even after re-signing Patches. They'll be paying attention to that dumpster fire in Ottawa and looking to add a major piece on defence for sure. Assuming everyone is capable of coming close to their performances from last season (namely Karlsson, Fleury & Schmidt) they should be in the thick of things again come spring. 

I expect them to win the division again. They are clearly the frontrunner with all the additions they made, and they still have picks to spare come TDL. SJ is second in power and hopefully Anaheim is 3d, but maybe LA has something to say about that. Ugh, our division is a whole lot of ugly again.

10 hours ago, Aksun said:

I expect them to win the division again. They are clearly the frontrunner with all the additions they made, and they still have picks to spare come TDL. SJ is second in power and hopefully Anaheim is 3d, but maybe LA has something to say about that. Ugh, our division is a whole lot of ugly again.

I agree although I'm not too worried about LA honestly. Kovalchuk was their only big addition (3 full seasons of Phaneuf is a subtraction) and he hasn't played at the NHL level in years. Even with Brown suddenly remembering how to succeed at hockey, that core doesn't seem as scary as it used to. I'm more fearful of a team like Calgary finally putting it all together after years of under-performing or McDavid dragging the corpse of that Edmonton team deep into the playoffs again. Arizona isn't going to be the same pushover either. The only thing that's certain about the Pacific is Vancouver finishing last. That team is terrible.

1 person likes this

Can we just call attention to the dumpster fire that is Montreal? Subban, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk all gone now. (And two of the three to the Pacific.)

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Drake12 said:

Can we just call attention to the dumpster fire that is Montreal? Subban, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk all gone now. (And two of the three to the Pacific.)

Montreal is one thing but look a little to the East in Ottawa. It's one thing after another for that fan base.

3 people like this

SHarks making huge push to get Erik Karlsson. 

Ducks making huge push to stay older and slower. 

2 people like this

57 minutes ago, Jiggy2win said:

SHarks making huge push to get Erik Karlsson. 

Ducks making huge push to stay older and slower. 

Deal done apparently. Karlsson to the Sharks for Tierny, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 2020 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick, 2 more conditional picks.

San Jose is the best team in the Pacific IMO.

2 people like this

That's a lot of potential first round picks going to Ottawa from San Jose.

Edited by nieder
1 person likes this