DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

477 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

Deal done apparently. Karlsson to the Sharks for Tierny, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 2020 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick, 2 more conditional picks.

San Jose is the best team in the Pacific IMO.

This trade feels like the Pronger trade before our cup year...Burns or Karlsson will be on the ice the entire game, that's going to be tough

1 minute ago, 354PM said:

This trade feels like the Pronger trade before our cup year...Burns or Karlsson will be on the ice the entire game, that's going to be tough

Also Vlasic is IMO one of, if not the best, shut down defenseman in the NHL today. Not a lot of depth beyond their top-4 but if they stay healthy they won't need it.

2 people like this

f***********************************ck

that's a crazy ass trade, too! 10 players...2 to the Sharks...8 to the Sens...right?

haha, can you imagine if the Sharks kept Hoffman??? No way they get that trade done if they didn't immediately trade him lol

Edited by Jasoaks
2 people like this

Joe Thornton via text message when I asked him for his reaction on his team getting Erik Karlsson: ``F------ Incredible!"

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Lots of talent flowing into the Pacific division lately. Gonna be tough.

Are you saying BM didn’t pick up a significant player? :ph34r:

4 people like this

25 minutes ago, 354PM said:

Definitely does! It's not as strong as Scotty/Pronger IMO (cue being slightly biased :P ) but it's still arguably the best pairing SINCE them and is going to be terrifying to play against. The Pacific is without a doubt the most interesting division this year! (cue being slightly biased again :P )

1 person likes this

This feels like some cruel joke. I spent the summer talking trash about Burns' abilities as a defenceman so they went out and actually got the guy I felt he stole the Norris from lmao. I'll shut up from now on. If they don't win the Cup next season despite retaining every major piece of their core in a trade for a generational talent then I give up trying to make sense of hockey.

4 people like this

42 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Joe Thornton via text message when I asked him for his reaction on his team getting Erik Karlsson: ``F------ Incredible!"

This is basically a mutual gift for Karlsson and Thornton. Thornton gets to retire after winning the Cup this season and Karlsson gets Thornton's $5M added to his base salary for next season (and beyond). The definition of a win-win for these guys.

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Your move, Bob. What can we get for Silfverberg + Nick Ritchie + Petterssen?

The promise to pay for Ritchie's happy meals might be a start.

3 people like this

The conventional wisdom is that the team that walks away with the best player the day of the trade is usually the winner.  It’s the rare exception that the team getting the draft picks and prospects walks away with the better end of the deal.  Maybe the Hershel Walker trade is one of the few times that the team getting the picks, etc. comes out on top.  That trade help to set up the Cowboys for several years.

Has there been a similar hockey trade where the team trading the superstar ends up “winning” the trade?  Maybe when Calgary traded Niewendyk for a prospect named Iginla.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

The conventional wisdom is that the team that walks away with the best player the day of the trade is usually the winner.  It’s the rare exception that the team getting the draft picks and prospects walks away with the better end of the deal.  Maybe the Hershel Walker trade is one of the few times that the team getting the picks, etc. comes out on top.  That trade help to set up the Cowboys for several years.

Has there been a similar hockey trade where the team trading the superstar ends up “winning” the trade?  Maybe when Calgary traded Niewendyk for a prospect named Iginla.

Not too many, after a quick Google search:

- Bruins trade goalie Ron Grahame (2x WHA goalie of the year) to the Kings for the 8th overall pick, Ray Bourque

- NJ trade solid offensive defenseman Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a pick (Scott Niedermayer)

- Ottawa trades Alexei Yashin to the Islanders for Chara, Bill Muckalt, and a first round pick (Jason Spezza)

Those stood out, but it's possible I missed some because I'm on this side of the trade and I know how the player turned out... 

Sharks gave up a lot for Karlsson.  I think too much.  He has had some chronic injury problems, and that only gets worse with age.

Edited by Fowl

Just looking at the massive steps backwards that the Sens and Habs have taken, this might have been the best offseason ever for Leafs fans. That's before you remember how they signed Tavares. Their fans are going to be something else though. I can't wait to see the reactions once they hit their first extended losing streak of the season.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, DT2008 said:

I think Duchene was probably the star of that big 3 team deal last season and I don't think the Sens came out on top on that one. Lol.

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

Sharks gave up a lot for Karlsson.  I think too much.  He has had some chronic injury problems, and that only gets worse with age.

Yeah, I honestly don't get why so many people on other sites are saying things like 'San Jose gave up f all' and 'Murray should have made this trade instead of sitting on his hands'. Uh they gave up 2 NHL players, 2 prospects, a first rounder, a second rounder and possibly another first rounder if conditions are met. That's a ton to give up, and Anaheim isn't really one player away if I'm honest (though obviously he would make the team a lot better).

Edited by nieder
1 person likes this

Wow the sharks now have burns and karlsson on the blue line. Is that the 2018 equivalent of Prongs & Nieds? :lol: 

1 person likes this

On 9/13/2018 at 0:13 AM, poum said:

Montreal is one thing but look a little to the East in Ottawa. It's one thing after another for that fan base.

Hey dummy, stop reading maps upside, it's to the West.

2 people like this

Gotta feel bad for Mark Stone signing that one year deal. Ottawa will probably flip him and Duchene by the dead line. Now that Melnyk has said he plans to rebuild, practically said full on tank. With Colorado having Ottawas first for next year, welcome to the Avalanche Hughes.

Also, how the fudge did SJ not give up Hertl or Meier.

Dear Melnyk,

Screw you.

Regards, the Pacific Division.

3 people like this

50 minutes ago, poum said:

Gotta feel bad for Mark Stone signing that one year deal. Ottawa will probably flip him and Duchene by the dead line. Now that Melnyk has said he plans to rebuild, practically said full on tank. With Colorado having Ottawas first for next year, welcome to the Avalanche Hughes.

Also, how the fudge did SJ not give up Hertl or Meier.

Dear Melnyk,

Screw you.

Regards, the Pacific Division.

My thoughts exactly. And the first-rounder is conditional to if the Sharks MAKE the playoffs it's for 2020?! You'd think it'd be the other way around...

I was also talking with a friend about it and he brought up that at least it doesn't fill a hole they were missing. Like, basically they just got a better version of Brent Burns...but they already had Brent Burns...it's not like they were this solid team that was just missing a great passing/shooting/mobile defenseman...they still choked in the playoffs and couldn't win the cup. Sure, they are absolutely better and if they basically split them 30/30 (minutes) it's tough...but if there's any silver-lining...it's not like they couldn't win 'cause they were MISSING a player like him. His leadership might help -- but it's not like he has a history of winning either.

The Pronger trade (as people keep comparing this to it) was much different. We got a different type of game changing defenseman. He balanced out Scotty -- different type of guy. AND he was basically the thing that stood in our way from getting to the Cup the previous year -- so we removed that.

3 people like this

Zetterberg to retire. 

Per sources: he will become the Detroit diving coach and personal diving coach to filip forsberg. 

3 people like this

that was a Scottyesque, Prongeresque move by the Sharks.  Well done.  Another "captain" joins a team that manhandled us in the playoffs last year.

19 hours ago, DT2008 said:

I'm sure Philly fans would argue that the original Lindros trade was a win-win for both clubs, but only Quebec/Colorado got a Cup. Two actually.

That trade was epic. In exchange for Lindros, the Nordiques got Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, a 1st rounder (Jocelyn Thibault, who was later part of the trade to get Patrick Roy), and $15M in cash. Hextall was also later flipped for a 1st rounder that became Adam Deadmarsh.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, poum said:

Hey dummy, stop reading maps upside, it's to the West.

Meh, most on this board never noticed your geographical oopsie.
I'm still trying to figure out where Zzyxx Road leads to and if I should ever get off the highway on the way to Vegas to find out.

Edited by wataduk
3 people like this

23 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Definitely does! It's not as strong as Scotty/Pronger IMO (cue being slightly biased :P ) but it's still arguably the best pairing SINCE them and is going to be terrifying to play against. The Pacific is without a doubt the most interesting division this year! (cue being slightly biased again :P )

Exactly. I think most people are forgetting the fact that they now have not just one but 2 unquestionable elite dmen coupled with an already explosive offense. Karlsson went to the right team to fit his style of play. They “”should”” be bad*** this year.